Residency Match Lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
are you guys aware that several of the DO fields require matching DURING your internship year?...ie having to do the match twice no matter what....

No I wasn't. That sucks. :thumbdown: Doesn't that add on an additional year to your total post graduate training? Or do you match into Year 2?

Members don't see this ad.

No I wasn't. That sucks. :thumbdown: Doesn't that add on an additional year to your total post graduate training? Or do you match into Year 2?
nah...I'm talking about fields that have an internship year no matter which match you do(ie PM&R, Anest., Optho, etc)....some require you to match into your internship and residency(that starts a year after the match..called an advanced position) in the same match year (ie two matches in one) while some (especially DO specialties) require you to match into your specialty during your intern year. There is no extra year in either scenario....just getting two matches in one year vs. one each year

nah...I'm talking about fields that have an internship year no matter which match you do(ie PM&R, Anest., Optho, etc)....some require you to match into your internship and residency(that starts a year after the match..called an advanced position) in the same match year (ie two matches in one) while some (especially DO specialties) require you to match into your specialty during your intern year. There is no extra year in either scenario....just getting two matches in one year vs. one each year

PHEW!! (Sort of....)

Members don't see this ad :)
Whoops. Your post made sense to me. In fact, it finally explained what the deal is.
I meant "sort of" a relief. The extra year worry is now relieved, but having to match 2 years in a row is not at all!

Let's see if I can get these to post properly, now - finally...

Attachments

• 2006 DMU Match List.zip
    31.2 KB · Views: 421
  • 2006 UMDNJ Match List.zip
    19.3 KB · Views: 476
I count 28 students only matched to transitional or rotating internships for DMU, and 13 for UMDNJ. DMU has 200 students per class while UMDNJ has 100. so.. DMU had 14% go "unmatched" for PGY-II while UMDNJ has 13%. btw, the mayo and hopkins matches are only preliminary spots, so they are basically unmatched for pgy-II, but I didnt count them in the percentage.

I count 28 students only matched to transitional or rotating internships for DMU, and 13 for UMDNJ. DMU has 200 students per class while UMDNJ has 100. so.. DMU had 14% go "unmatched" for PGY-II while UMDNJ has 13%. btw, the mayo and hopkins matches are only preliminary spots, so they are basically unmatched for pgy-II, but I didnt count them in the percentage.
as I posted below....several of the DO specialty programs require matching into them DURING your internship year....

the UMDNJ list is a bit difficult to read, I know some of the people who matched and the list doesn't really show exactly where people are going. As Taus mentioned there are some who do an intern year at one place and their residency somewhere else - this is not clearly conveyed in the list above.

-J

i am aware. I was just saying that because thats how ortho was determining a good vs bad match list.

Actually I never stated what my criteria for a good or bad list was. Or more importantly, what a better or worse list was, or simply, how I go about comparing them. Matching into a 1 year program is certainly one thing I do look at, although now I realize there is even more to that.

Why are you being so argumentative, Kuba?
Just because I said I was disappointed in UMDNJ's list?

Actually I never stated what my criteria for a good or bad list was. Or more importantly, what a better or worse list was, or simply, how I go about comparing them. Matching into a 1 year program is certainly one thing I do look at, although now I realize there is even more to that.

Why are you being so argumentative, Kuba?
Just because I said I was disappointed in UMDNJ's list?

all :love: , ortho. sorry if I seem argumentative. I'm really not(in this thread:laugh:). Just trying to have a civil debate about this.

p.s. I really do try not to be a jerk about it while still making my argument. Let me know if I am failing in that.

Though I just might add that if a list has a lot of students not matching, or matching for only an internship year, I would think THAT would be sort of worrisome for anybody. It doesn't seem like anyone would want to have to go through the match 2 years in a row.

this was the basis of me making the statement about your criteria for a good and bad matchlist.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay sorry, Kuba. I can do friendly debate - I was just getting the sense that you were mad at me about it, or something! :oops:

Ultimately, I'm not sure match lists are that helpful in deciding anything, but they can show some trends about students, and are fun to look at! ("WOW! 14 people matched into neurosurgery!!") :laugh:

I guess you just use them to look for trends in consistency of quality program matches, specialty matches, and if both of these things are stable over time and progressive years of matchlists, that the school must be providing a solid foundation for the boards, and stuff? If the above seem true, then you can average student performance, and use them to rely on determining the quality of the education, and reputation in the medical school community?

Okay sorry, Kuba. I can do friendly debate - I was just getting the sense that you were mad at me about it, or something! :oops:

Ultimately, I'm not sure match lists are that helpful in deciding anything, but they can show some trends about students, and are fun to look at! ("WOW! 14 people matched into neurosurgery!!") :laugh:

the only thing I could possibly be mad at you for is being a red sox fan:laugh:

yea, they are fun to look at, but I don't think they are a very good tool when choosing med schools

Okay but to be really picky, count the # of people on the lists because I think it's higher.
There are actually only 182 people on the DMU list, and only 88 people on the UMDNJ list - not the full class size in either case. So you can only say these numbers are out of 182 and 88, not the full class size they say they accept.

the only thing I could possibly be mad at you for is being a yankees fan:laugh:

I agree they aren't that useful. I'd rather know what % of students got their 1st choice. I'd also rather know what the classes average board scores were, not their % pass rate.

the only thing I could possibly be mad at you for is being a yankees fan:laugh:

I agree they aren't that useful. I'd rather know what % of students got their 1st choice. I'd also rather know what the classes average board scores were, not their % pass rate.

:thumbup: me too.

Okay but to be really picky, count the # of people on the lists because I think it's higher.
There are actually only 182 people on the DMU list, and only 88 people on the UMDNJ list - not the full class size in either case. So you can only say these numbers are out of 182 and 88, not the full class size they say they accept.

in which case both are same, roughly 15% of the graduating class.

in which case both are same, roughly 15% of the graduating class.

Thanks. It does make me wonder where the rest of the class went though.
Did they drop out? Not graduate? Decide to be a PA? Lawyer? What?!

Does anyone have a link to the AZCOM matches? The links posted are not working for me.

Well, We finally got the information we've been waiting for and its an impressive list! The preliminary 2007 Match List has been released (keep in mind, allopathic match results have yet to be determined)...

"After much waiting and anticipation, VCOM is extremely excited to announce our internship and residency match positions for the Class of 2007! As you will see, they are very impressive. This will be updated shortly after March 15 with results from the NRMP (aka: the allopathic match).

Some additional interesting facts are:

1) 92% of VCOM students who entered the osteopathic match received their FIRST choice (compared to 87% nationally)

2) 56% of VCOM students matched in the military or osteopathic match (compared to 47% nationally) so we will likely end up with more students in osteopathic programs than the national pool of DO graduates

3) 26% of VCOM students who we have data on plan to purse Family Medicine; 15% plan to pursue IM; 14% EM; 7% OB/Gyn per our preliminary results. While these rates will change when all placements are in, these are above the national placements date-to-date for these primary care areas.

4) A more defined breakdown of specialty choices will be available after the NRMP but take a look at the other specialty areas – our students also did very well in obtaining programs in competitive specialties!"

Attachments

• MILITARY LISTING.doc
    47.5 KB · Views: 293
  • MATCHED OSTEOPATHIC 1.doc
    67.5 KB · Views: 583
  • MATCHED OSTEOPATHIC 2.doc
    56.5 KB · Views: 476
That match list is impressive! I can't wait for my interview at VCOM. It just keeps sounding better and better. :)

That's incredible Drew. What a great medical school!!

i am curious to see how the allopathic match will turn out for VCOM's inaugral class. hopefully they will consolidate the lists and post them on the website.

it would be nice if they posted this information on their website along with statistics on boards, etc. i know this kind of info. is what most people are looking at when evaluating schools, and now that they have some data, I hope they use this to market the school and the quality of training provided by VCOM.

awesome that at least two matched into neurosurgery...and several more into equally competitive fields. great job guys.

Does anyone have UMDNJ -COM's matchlists?

Thanks.

Where did 14 people match into neurosurgery? Are you just saying it as a hypothetical situation?

here it is, folks.. you know you wanted it! Names removed and re-shuffled into a readable order according to specialty.

why tcom got only 3 ppl out of 126 going into surgery? I noticed that their previous year also few went into surgery... what gives?

Not many poeple there wanted general surgery

That's wishful thinking...

Also, are students who go outside of the match included in the published match lists??

My school publishes a match list every year. I'm thinking it'll be out sometime in the next month or two.

My school publishes a match list every year. I'm thinking it'll be out sometime in the next month or two.

Yeah, I am hoping they come out soon. They make for fun reads. The allopathic thread has a nice list going. Hopefully we can get one here soon.

That's wishful thinking...

Also, are students who go outside of the match included in the published match lists??

Are you talking about people who go on to be consultants, reps, etc? If so, they are usually not.

Are you talking about people who go on to be consultants, reps, etc? If so, they are usually not.

DOs and IMGs can sign a contract outside the match at allopathic residencies, so they don't necessarily have to wait until March 15 to match if their favorite program gives them an offer earlier. It seems like most students go through the match, though.

To answer MaxD's question, I think all the people who are going into a residency pop up on the match list regardless of how they matched.

DOs and IMGs can sign a contract outside the match at allopathic residencies, so they don't necessarily have to wait until March 15 to match if their favorite program gives them an offer earlier. It seems like most students go through the match, though.

To answer MaxD's question, I think all the people who are going into a residency pop up on the match list regardless of how they matched.

Trust Bagel Babe,,,she is wise in the ways of the force.

Sexy too :thumbup:

could anyone please explain to me what PGY-1 and PGY-2 mean? I know it is post-graduate year but is that the same with intership or how is it different. I'm not quite get that ! Thank you so much

Unofficial match list for Western. Not everyone's called in, though.

Attachments

• Book1.zip
    4.3 KB · Views: 392
Unofficial match list for Western. Not everyone's called in, though.

The 2007 KCUMB matchlist is attached.

Attachments

• KCUMB_2007_Matchlist.pdf
    32 KB · Views: 788
could anyone please explain to me what PGY-1 and PGY-2 mean? I know it is post-graduate year but is that the same with intership or how is it different. I'm not quite get that ! Thank you so much

Usually PGY-1 = internship.

As described, PGY-1 = "intern" year for many specialties. PGY-1 also = "FYGME" (the military uses this term), First Year of Graduate Medical Education.

The term "intern" is supposedly outdated, and for some reason Pathology skips straight to the specialty phase without a year of medicine/surgery/ped's.

Some specialties switch over to different labels after the first year/USMLE 3. I've seen anesthesiology, for instance, call PGY-2 CA-1 (so they'd be PGY-1, CA-1, CA-2, CA-3).