How do I analyze match lists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

charamsukh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am choosing between a few different schools and everyone says that match lists are one of the most important factors to consider before committing to a school but I have no idea what to look for? How do I determine whether a residency program is "good" or considered competitive? Which names should I look for on these lists? Which specialties?

Members don't see this ad.

you shouldn't do this. you should base it off the board pass rate for both level 1 and 2 and the opportunity for good clinical training at sites that are more than just preceptor-based shadowing, they should have home residency programs, and they program should NOT send half their students out of state because they have such a large class size they cannot fit everyone to train in their city despite the mission saying they are focused on the health of that particular community.

Reactions: 2 users
I am choosing between a few different schools and everyone says that match lists are one of the most important factors to consider before committing to a school but I have no idea what to look for? How do I determine whether a residency program is "good" or considered competitive? Which names should I look for on these lists? Which specialties?
You don't. Trying to consider a school based on match lists is a fool's errand.
The way I find out if a program is good is to ask our wise SDN residents and attendings in the field.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not too concerned about sending students out of state to do residencies as many DO schools are in small cities and may not have much in the way of tertiary care and subspecialty. Residencies preferably should be at Universities or Uni Affiliates. Local knowledge of these programs would be a plus. Board score averages and pass rates would be my primary focus.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Match lists are pointless. Contrary to SDN dogma, lots of people choose to rank “top” programs lower because they’d rather train at a place more in line with their professional goals or just because they like the location elsewhere better.

I'm not too concerned about sending students out of state to do residencies as many DO schools are in small cities and may not have much in the way of tertiary care and subspecialty. Residencies preferably should be at Universities or Uni Affiliates. Local knowledge of these programs would be a plus. Board score averages and pass rates would be my primary focus.
What if all my options have good board score and pass rates? It’s between DMU, Campbell, Touro Nevada, and Nova Southeastern

What if all my options have good board score and pass rates? It’s between DMU, Campbell, Touro Nevada, and Nova Southeastern
There are other things to look at such as cost, rotations, proximity to support system etc.

Nova has had concerns actually about declining board scores as well as the administration. Choose from your other options, they are all good.

All are good choices. I am a fan of lower tuition, so that would play heavily on my choice . Secondly, I am also partial to original schools, because I went to one. They have good regional reputations. I don't think there is a wrong choice here. Congrats on 3 acceptances. Good luck and best wishes!

As others have said, the match list is likely low yield. There could a particular year where everyone in that class wanted to get into a certain specialty. The pass rate on the licensing exams could provide some insights that would be more helpful, but that can also be skewed. Many factors in the licensing exam come down to how much effort the individual put into studying for classes, and also for the exam itself.

The logistics piece may be the place to focus the most. For example, proximity to friends/family. If one of them becomes ill, how difficult will it be to check in or visit them? If you have a significant other, what are their thoughts on the location (e.g. employment, recreation, family, etc.). You may want understand their thoughts, if it is a serious relationship. How easy is it to get to recreational activities that you enjoy or want to try? Driving/travelling hours can be very inconvenient. How much is each school to attend? Many medical students come out of medical school with substantial debt, and how long do you want to be carrying the loans for?

Thanks.

Wook