Gunner University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which school should be renamed Gunner University?

• Harvard University

Votes: 17 11.3%
  • Washington University (St. Louis)

Votes: 45 30.0%
  • Johns Hopkins University

Votes: 30 20.0%
  • Duke University

Votes: 7 4.7%
  • University of Pennsylvania

Votes: 7 4.7%
  • UC San Francisco

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • University of Michigan - Ann Arbor

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons

Votes: 11 7.3%
  • Stanford University

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • University of Washington

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Yale University

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cornell University

• Baylor University

• UC Los Angeles

• University of Pittsburgh

• Vanderbilt University

• UC San Diego

• UTSW - Dallas

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Emory University

• Northwestern University

• Total voters

StinkinSanchez

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which medical school should be renamed Gunner University? Maybe USNews will add this factor to their rankings. This poll is also in pre-allo. I'm curious to see if there's a difference in opinion. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I am glad to be grouped in this list, but most people at my school are down to earth and really friendly. If there are gunners, I don't know about them. Now, I know there are a view, there has to be, but they don't make themselves known.

wash u is gunner headquarters. i know two people that go there. one is a cool high achieving guy, the other is a socially awkward loser who posts his mcat and gpa on the first page of his website.

Members don't see this ad :)
:D Definitely NOT NYU! :D

We check our sidearms at the door during orientation and never see them again. Nothing but a whole lot of love here, with the best class dynamics I've ever see at any medical school. With a pass/fail curriculum, there's no need but to help your fellow student, and say "Hey, anatomy's a little tough, wanna show me how to distinguish..."

If you eventually compile a list of all the med schools in the nation I bet we're the absolute last for gunners, we're too happy to be called gucking funners :love:

You still get a class ranking in the end.

automaton said:
wash u is gunner headquarters. i know two people that go there. one is a cool high achieving guy, the other is a socially awkward loser who posts his mcat and gpa on the first page of his website.

wow, two wash u students. that probably pretty much sums us up. half are cool high achieving people and the other half tattoo their mcat scores on their forehead. please. wash u gets a bad rap because they take people with high numbers, but having been here for almost a year, i'd say we're pretty low on the gunners. people want to do well, but are friendly about it, help each other out, and are overall nice people. i hate the gunner stigma that we get.

well that gunner stigma got you past hopkins on usnews so stop crying.

I hear that Yale has a yellow gunner shirt. From what I understand if you do something gunnerish then you have to wear the shirt for the week and then pass it of to some one else that did something gunnerish.

I'm not implying that Yale is full of gunners but rather that they deserve the name because they got the gunner shirt.

Syranope2 said:
wow, two wash u students. that probably pretty much sums us up. half are cool high achieving people and the other half tattoo their mcat scores on their forehead. please. wash u gets a bad rap because they take people with high numbers, but having been here for almost a year, i'd say we're pretty low on the gunners. people want to do well, but are friendly about it, help each other out, and are overall nice people. i hate the gunner stigma that we get.

thanks, beat me to it

This is a silly poll, if you want to name your own school "gunner u" that's fine, you probably have a pretty good feel for the atmosphere... but none of us know other schools well enough to say that. All this poll tells us is 'which schools have a gunner stigma?"

Woo-hoo! Michigan has 0 votes. As a current med student there, I couldn't agree more.

velocypedalist said:
All this poll tells us is 'which schools have a gunner stigma?"

In all fairness though, this stigma isn't out of the blue. Harvard, Duke, and Penn are equally good/better schools and don't have that stigma.

And without getting into a flamewar rehashing all the reasons, I just think its important to know that this isn't an arbitrary vote-- there is something to WashU that makes people think these things. Most likely, it is something that could be fixed as well (again, not trying to rehash the old WashU is overrated arguments)

Syranope2 said:

You think you are the **** come on you can admit it. Deep down you are like oh yea I am in Wash U and all these lowly ones are gonna serve me when I am a big bad MD from Wash U. I am the man, the man who owned the land.

p.s. If you haven't figured it out already I am just kidding, just in a playful mood today. lata.

Somethings wrong with your poll. It wouldn't let me select all of them.

this has to be the most idiotic thread ive seen in quite some time. as you grow and acquire a few pubic hairs you'll start to realize every medical school has its share of gunners.