Gunner Stories

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slowthai

holding a barbell.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
*Posh British accent* Ladies and gentlemen, gather 'rrrround. Let us regale each other with stories about med school's most hated: gunners.

For the purposes of this thread, a gunner is: someone that screws other people over to get ahead.

What it's not: an annoying individual that brags about grades/research or someone that studies "too much"

Commence.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Was walking out with another student during an audition. Dude goes “oh wait, I forgot something I’ll catch ya tomorrow.” Dude stays another 3 hours going “not sure what happened to the other guy, he disappeared I guess.” The entire time.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 28 users
Was walking out with another student during an audition. Dude goes “oh wait, I have forgot something I’ll catch ya tomorrow.” Dude stays another 3 hours going “not sure what happened to the other guy, he disappeared I guess.” The entire time.

Classic, lol

Members don't see this ad :)
On a sub-I, this teaching service was pretty large (2 third years, 2 Sub-Is,3 Interns, 1 senior). Weekends were optional. Fellow Sub-I told his co-students to not go on and agreed that none of us would go in on the weekends.

1st weekend, loved getting a text from my senior asking why my fellow Sub-I was there and I wasn't.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 22 users
Third-year surgery: I was at the clinic with another student, interns, PGY-1-4. There were still at least 10-20 patients to see. I came back and found the fellow student gone. Turned out, he went to the OR with the chief resident...his excuse was I thought we finished...and it was the patient who I followed and rounded on in AM

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
There's two kinds of situations in my perspective. There's a gunner move and a gunner mentality. A gunner move is what @getfat mentions about the Sub-I straight up lying for gain at someone else's expense. Gunner mentality can actually be more annoying because it's harder to call out and because it's almost subconsciously ingrained in all of us. I would argue 95% of medical students/residents have had a gunner mentality (including myself at times) at some point which is not surprising because it's something I think medical schools select for.

Examples of Gunner Mentality:

M1/M2:
A-Making others feel bad for studying (while they study themselves)

B-Humble bragging about their grades when in reality this is the second time they've seen this material (i.e. masters, SMP, etc) which makes other students feel like they're dumb.

Controversial but I don't think "hoarding" a resource if gunner mentality in the digital age. Obviously this is a competition and if you've found something useful online, you don't owe your classmates anything. Also, I don't think lying that you're doing something else when you're really studying is a big problem unless you're super flamboyant about it. Too many people will judge you for studying (i.e. gunner mentality). Unless you tell someone they don't need to study or you're bailing on a commitment you made with that person, I don't think it's anyone's business to know how much or often you're studying. They should study how much they think they need to.

M3/M4:
A-Feigning enthusiasm for something to try to earn favor of the attending. Rinse and repeat each rotation. It's one thing to say I'm interested in Dermatology, but I want to learn all of this as opposed to saying I love IM and want to do it simply to maximize any subjectivism points.

B-Mind-games commonly employed when designating who gets to see which patient. Oftentimes someone who wants to shine will look at the board and try to get a sense of which patient will be best for them to take and gun for those while giving their peers scut. This is avoided by just deciding on a system at the beginning and sticking to it out of fairness.

The worse part about gunner mentality is, like I said, it's difficulty to call out. For M3/4 Example B, that sort of a thing is really damaging but you can't really tell anyone about it because you're going to be seen as the issue if you make a stink about it and sometimes people just say too bad, that's part of the game and don't care about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
IDK if this is gunner like, but I have seen people complain when the average for exams is too high, because then they cant ride the curve to an A like they usually do.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Bad work ethic and gunner attitude catches up to you... These people eventually will be singled out in life, and no one will be there to help them during their lowest point in life... And believe it or not, no matter how smart and the best you are, you will encounter a time where you are helpless during your medical career.

Reactions: 5 users
I would argue 95% of medical students/residents have had a gunner mentality (including myself at times) at some point which is not surprising because it's something I think medical schools select for.
Having goals is normal and should be celebrated.

1st two years. I feel like the only type of gunner move is guilt tripping other students into not studying while putting the crazy hours needed to get good grades. That purposely reducing the curve so you can get top marks and screw over your classmates.

Clinical years (3rd and 4th) is where the gunners moves really come out.
Examples include:
Telling a new student pre rounds usually start around 8AM, when attending rounds start at 8AM and you should be prerounding by 6-7AM.
Telling a new student the attending prefers short presentations when its an academic that wants the whole SOAP style presentation including social history and family history.
Telling a new student notes we are good to go home but you know there is afternoon teaching or rounds.
Answering pimping questions when not called upon.

Reactions: 6 users
Controversial but I don't think "hoarding" a resource if gunner mentality in the digital age. Obviously this is a competition and if you've found something useful online, you don't owe your classmates anything.

Wow really glad I don’t go to your school. We share everything at my school. People are constantly sharing good resources they found in our GroupMe or slack. We have an osmosis group that a huge chunk of the class is in that shares flashcard making responsibilities, we have people constantly putting links to cool resources into the chats, volunteer TAs that create review resources and question banks based on the most frequently cited resources by our profs, etc.

We’re competing, but that doesn’t mean we can’t help each other. We’re colleagues after all.

Reactions: 20 users
Wow really glad I don’t go to your school. We share everything at my school. People are constantly sharing good resources they found in our GroupMe or slack. We have an osmosis group that a huge chunk of the class is in that shares flashcard making responsibilities, we have people constantly putting links to cool resources into the chats, volunteer TAs that create review resources and question banks based on the most frequently cited resources by our profs, etc.

We’re competing, but that doesn’t mean we can’t help each other. We’re colleagues after all.

True, and I'm not saying I or anyone I went to medical school with hoards resources. I am actually quite collaborative myself and try to help others a lot but if someone were to keep a resource to themselves, I'm not blaming them. We all have the ability to find these things with google searching common reddit/SDN threads.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Way back when I was a naive M3, a generally well-liked kid in our class told us that a very well known douche bag gunner boy (I shall refer to him as GB) stole his idea and presented it as GB's own to the attending. It was quite the astute catch about a patient who was mysteriously on the decline that nice kid just happened to mention off-hand to GB during lunch. Turned out the observation was correct and the patient was well on his way to recovery after they fixed the problem.

I would like to say that people like GB get their comeuppance in due time, but it more often than not doesn't happen. He is now in a highly competitive specialty where he will be making a shyteton of money and will likely be the head of some sort of institution somewhere.

This is actually a question I have as I go through my clinical year. If another student doesn't know a pimp question and you are asked to answer it after (obviously not just jumping in and saying it without being asked directly), what is the correct etiquette if you know the answer? Just say you don't know either or should you answer it?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is actually a question I have as I go through my clinical year. If another student doesn't know a pimp question and you are asked to answer it after (obviously not just jumping in and saying it without being asked directly), what is the correct etiquette if you know the answer? Just say you don't know either or should you answer it?

If they don’t know it, and you’re asked there’s no reason you can’t answer. Now if they asked a resident or intern, I personally wouldn’t answer it if I knew the answer but that’s just because I wouldn’t want to make them look bad. Some people might disagree with me there.

Basically, I think answering a question someone else at the same level as you didn’t know is fine if you’re specifically asked.

We had these preceptor presentations to do that were 20% of our grade. Our preceptor said "just do a sheet of paper, no need to go above and beyond with powerpoint" so the 2 of us students decided "no powerpoint" to make our lives easier as we had a shelf exam the next day. So I come in and give my talk first with just my sheet of paper. Then gunner boy, who told me he would do the same, plugs in this super nice looking powerpoint with videos and images and the works. Preceptor also was like "wow that's so nice" (even though he himself said not to do a ppt!). Classic clerkship year bullshyte. I got an HP and the other dude got Honors, even tho my shelf was better and I worked objectively harder than the dude. Also my patients didn't **** on me like they did on him. But alas.

Like usually if my fellow student doesn't know, I wouldn't jump in, unless they looked at me or asked me specifically. It really also depends on the dynamic between the students - when I was on rotations with my good friends none of this stuff mattered because we knew we all were answering in good faith and the residents saw the synergy.

If they don’t know it, and you’re asked there’s no reason you can’t answer. Now if they asked a resident or intern, I personally wouldn’t answer it if I knew the answer but that’s just because I wouldn’t want to make them look bad. Some people might disagree with me there.

Basically, I think answering a question someone else at the same level as you didn’t know is fine if you’re specifically asked.
Agree for the most part. As an M3/M4 I always tried to be cognizant of rank and to do my best to help any resident look good in front of the attendings. I would sometimes even feed correct answers to residents when the attending was busy answering a page or something (got a lot of brownie points for that). If none of the residents knew the answer and I was specifically called upon, I would answer it whether it was correct or not. I'm almost certain that any resident who worked with me for even a second knew that I would never throw them under the bus intentionally and that my answering a question correctly was never to make them look bad.

Currently, about half of the medical students who rotate at my hospital seem to relish correcting the interns (eh-hem, me) when they can. Those students suck. Don't be them.

Reactions: 16 users
Agree for the most part. As an M3/M4 I always tried to be cognizant of rank and to do my best to help any resident look good in front of the attendings. I would sometimes even feed correct answers to residents when the attending was busy answering a page or something (got a lot of brownie points for that). If none of the residents knew the answer and I was specifically called upon, I would answer it whether it was correct or not. I'm almost certain that any resident who worked with me for even a second knew that I would never throw them under the bus intentionally and that my answering a question correctly was never to make them look bad.

Currently, about half of the medical students who rotate at my hospital seem to relish correcting the interns (eh-hem, me) when they can. Those students suck. Don't be them.
I just can't imagine having the balls to do this. Or even imagine what it would gain me besides resentment

huge chunk of the class is in that shares flashcard making responsibilities
Some classmates I would not want to make flashcards. Or making review sheets or any type of resource.

Misinformation (due to misunderstanding the lecturer or something they read) was a big problem at my school.

So i could understand someone not wanting to share a resource with me because its not useful for me or worse incorrect.

• Wow
If another student doesn't know a pimp question and you are asked to answer it after (obviously not just jumping in and saying it without being asked directly), what is the correct etiquette if you know the answer?
Answering a question when called upon is fine.

Interrupting your classmate so you can show you now the answer is not.

Now if they asked a resident or intern, I personally wouldn’t answer it if I knew the answer but that’s just because I wouldn’t want to make them look bad. Some people might disagree with me there.
I hate when attendings do that because its a no win scenario for students.

I've been a Sub-I for the past 3 months. So the expectation is that I'm on par with interns so i should be able to answer questions compared to an intern that is busy covering a ton of patients (compared to my 4).

Pimping is supposed to go up in rank.
Start with the MS3s → MS4s → Interns → Residents.
If its something more-so basic science stuff I don't see a problem answering a question that an intern can't answer (because they haven't looked at it in years). If its something that contradicts their plan that they laid out (or you weren't listening to the plan), personally I wouldn't answer it

Some classmates I would not want to make flashcards. Or making review sheets or any type of resource.

Misinformation (due to misunderstanding the lecturer or something they read) was a big problem at my school.

So i could understand someone not wanting to share a resource with me because its not useful for me or worse incorrect.

That’s not what I was talking about and wasn’t the point. The point was that people actively try to help each other by sharing resources and helping each other out. Like almost the entire class does this. I didn’t use their flashcards because I used Zanki. The fact that I didn’t use them doesn’t change the sentiment.

The point was that people actively try to help each other by sharing resources and helping each other out. Like almost the entire class does this.
Thats great. I guess what @BacktotheBasics and I want to emphasize is that we shouldn't villainize those who decided to not share resources. Thats not exactly gunner behavior. They can do w/e they want with their resources.

Thats great. I guess what @BacktotheBasics and I want to emphasize is that we shouldn't villainize those who decided to not share resources. Thats not exactly gunner behavior. They can do w/e they want with their resources.

I didn’t villainize them. I said I’m glad I go to a school where (the majority of—don’t want to say none since I obviously can’t be 100% sure) people don’t purposely not share resources. That’s not the same thing.

Someone at my school deleted a tried and true study guide (made several years ago by a thoughtful student) off of our class drive and then replaced it but changed most of the answers. Most of the class failed the exam. They figured out who did it. It went to the dean and he got a slap on the wrist. That person is a resident now.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 30 users
Someone at my school deleted a tried and true study guide (made several years ago by a thoughtful student) off of our class drive and then replaced it but changed most of the answers. Most of the class failed the exam. They figured out who did it. It went to the dean and he got a slap on the wrist. That person is a resident now.
I hope their doucheyness shows enough in the hospital for nurses to get back at them with knowingly dumb hammer pages. "Hi Dr. Douche, sorry to page you at 3:17am, but the patient hasn't had a bowel movement since 7 this morning. Is that ok?"

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 10 users

What piece of crap school do you go to? Jesus.

• Dislike
Orgo 1 in undergrad:

-around 1000 people or so taking orgo at once
-grad students grade exams with a special red pencil
-we were allowed to dispute grading and turn exams back in for more points if we explain our reasoning
-two students photoshopped and recreated the exam, bought the same grading pencils, and gave themselves back points on questions they missed
-only got caught because they stapled the papers diagonally instead of horizontally and the head prof thought it was fishy that they asked for 20-ish percent back on the exam

the chemistry dept now scans the exams and returns them digitally to avoid this. all 1000 of them.

• Wow
Orgo 1 in undergrad:

-we were allowed to dispute grading and turn exams back in for more points if we explain our reasoning
-two students photoshopped and recreated the exam, bought the same grading pencils, and gave themselves back points on questions they missed
-only got caught because they stapled the papers diagonally instead of horizontally and the head prof thought it was fishy that they asked for 20-ish percent back on the exam

the chemistry dept now scans the exams and returns them digitally to avoid this. all 1000 of them.

This isn't gunning. This is just cheating.

Reactions: 20 users
Orgo 1 in undergrad:

Yeah that’s called cheating lol.

Gunner (well known sociopath) places a list of "great questions" to ask during EM interviews in our EM applicants school GroupMe chat.

Some were straight basic, like volume - would make you look like you didn't know anything about the program. Another, what is the short coming of your program? - yeah, ask the PD that and blow up your interview.

Everyone in the chat knows her "help" is superficial. She never helps anyone but herself.

Another, what is the short coming of your program? - yeah, ask the PD that and blow up your interview
While I don't doubt that this person is as snake-y as they come slither, this question is very common and actually expected at most programs. Seeing how interviewers answer this question can be enlightening as to how the PDs and attendings handle difficult situations at their programs.

Source: me who has done med school interviews for her school, has gone through the Match and asked these questions at almost every program during interview season last year, and is now a pre-interview resident question answer-er.

Reactions: 10 users
While I don't doubt that this person is as snake-y as they come slither, this question is very common and actually expected at most programs. Seeing how interviewers answer this question can be enlightening as to how the PDs and attendings handle difficult situations at their programs.

Source: me who has done med school interviews for her school, has gone through the Match and asked these questions at almost every program during interview season last year, and is now a pre-interview resident question answer-er.
I can see pitching it at a resident social, but not during the PD interview. I'm not adventurous and don't tread into the grey areas during those high stake moments.

And yes. She has multiple other situations of being a bad teammate - like not picking up surgeries and letting the rest of the team cover them, because she was "doing EM".

Then switching questions during a casual article presentation, when the opposing presenting team was asked to throw up a few questions to the presenting team. We all agreed to trade questions in advance. This was not for a grade or anything important, just normal box checking nonsense by the school. She changed her questions for the team she was pimping. lol. Classic move.

• Wow
  • Dislike

Agree...I asked for what is your program weakness or what areas do you think the program needs to improve at every single interview....
If they can’t come up with something then it is a red flag and also knowing what negative the program also to assess program fit.

Reactions: 5 users
I can see pitching it at a resident social, but not during the PD interview. I'm not adventurous and don't tread into the grey areas during those high stake moments.
I've asked PDs and APDs. None of them balked. You don't have to ask this question if you don't want to. I wanted to put it out there for other students to see that it's perfectly ok to ask this question to PDs and APDs if you want.

Reactions: 9 users

1st two years. I feel like the only type of gunner move is guilt tripping other students into not studying while putting the crazy hours needed to get good grades. That purposely reducing the curve so you can get top marks and screw over your classmates.

Examples include:
Telling a new student pre rounds usually start around 8AM, when attending rounds start at 8AM and you should be prerounding by 6-7AM.
Telling a new student the attending prefers short presentations when its an academic that wants the whole SOAP style presentation including social history and family history.
Telling a new student notes we are good to go home but you know there is afternoon teaching or rounds.
Can’t you get around a lot of this by simply communicating expectations with residents and attendings upfront? Imo that would also show that you’re responsible and considerate student. I’m an M2 and haven’t seen how it all works yet, but I completely envision myself asking attendings what they expect from medical student patient presentations and leaving only with my residents’ approval.

M3: Guy in my group proceeds to steal literally all the ABG's from all the M4's (even though in my group we'd already done like 15 each) and then lies to their faces saying he didn't do them and then they literally caught him doing more. He's stealing the DOPS from them (procedures we have to get signed off) on probably the only rotation they would've had the chance to get it done. ABG's aren't even a requirement for my year. Same guy also asks me extremely basic almost pre pre med questions just to try **** with me I believe? Such as the order of the parts of the brainstem, the location of the pharynx vs larynx etc I never answer though and just say stop trolling because its so obvious he's trying to get you to mix things up and second guess etc. He's been reported once or twice I believe.

M1: Our anatomy labs are 'compulsory' we just have to sign the sheet and then can leave and they don't care, it's been like that for years. One guy decided to complain that nobody goes to anatomy and he felt it was unfair he was, suddenly the whole class was now required to go and stay for the whole anatomy lab from then onwards. Makes no sense, less students = better teaching for him but he did it anyway lol. He could've just started not going same as everyone else or just leaving early.

Last edited:
Can’t you get around a lot of this by simply communicating expectations with residents and attendings upfront? Imo that would also show that you’re responsible and considerate student. I’m an M2 and haven’t seen how it all works yet, but I completely envision myself asking attendings what they expect from medical student patient presentations and leaving only with my residents’ approval.
"Do it how you've always done it"
"No not like that"

All kidding aside, atleast from my experience my interaction with attendings is minimal (<30 minutes in a whole day). The expectation is that you talk to your costudents to get brought up to speed. Then talk to your senior for clarification (in that order). I've never asked an attending stuff like that because its expected that you've talked to someone else about it before hand.

I've heard stories where people have one-on-one interactions with just them and their attending. Sounds pretty cool but i've never personally got to experience it.

• Haha
We had these preceptor presentations to do that were 20% of our grade. Our preceptor said "just do a sheet of paper, no need to go above and beyond with powerpoint" so the 2 of us students decided "no powerpoint" to make our lives easier as we had a shelf exam the next day. So I come in and give my talk first with just my sheet of paper. Then gunner boy, who told me he would do the same, plugs in this super nice looking powerpoint with videos and images and the works. Preceptor also was like "wow that's so nice" (even though he himself said not to do a ppt!). Classic clerkship year bullshyte. I got an HP and the other dude got Honors, even tho my shelf was better and I worked objectively harder than the dude. Also my patients didn't **** on me like they did on him. But alas.

Like usually if my fellow student doesn't know, I wouldn't jump in, unless they looked at me or asked me specifically. It really also depends on the dynamic between the students - when I was on rotations with my good friends none of this stuff mattered because we knew we all were answering in good faith and the residents saw the synergy.
at home, he could've decided he was adequately prepared for the shelf the next day and wanted to spend time making the presentation

he definitely knew he was going to outshine you if he went beyond a sheet of paper. but perhaps it wasn't his main intention

at home, he could've decided he was adequately prepared for the shelf the next day and wanted to spend time making the presentation

he definitely knew he was going to outshine you if he went beyond a sheet of paper. but perhaps it wasn't his main intention

True, it was his prerogative to do as he wished. It's just that we explicitly agreed on what we would do so that such a situation wouldn't occur, and he could have easily given me a heads up. Otherwise I couldn't care less honestly...other people have had much worse experiences haha

True, it was his prerogative to do as he wished. It's just that we explicitly agreed on what we would do so that such a situation wouldn't occur, and he could have easily given me a heads up. Otherwise I couldn't care less honestly...other people have had much worse experiences haha

Yeah it’s hard to know if he told you that on purpose to make you look lazy (and himself better by comparison) or if he just didn’t think of it (which is still bad, but at least not malicious).

That person is at best a snake, and at worst a sociopath. What kind of resident is s/he now?

woah

That person is at best a snake, and at worst a sociopath. What kind of resident is s/he now?
Not sure. It was the class above mine, but the story is legendary for obvious reasons and that person became a pariah. My class isn’t very gunnery by any means. Or at least I’m so self-absorbed I’ve never noticed it lol.

M1: Our anatomy labs are 'compulsory' we just have to sign the sheet and then can leave and they don't care, it's been like that for years. One guy decided to complain that nobody goes to anatomy and he felt it was unfair he was, suddenly the whole class was now required to go and stay for the whole anatomy lab from then onwards. Makes no sense, less students = better teaching for him but he did it anyway lol. He could've just started not going same as everyone else or just leaving early.
Bruh, I'd be tight af if a student made one more thing mandatory that has no actual benefit to my education.

Reactions: 8 users

This is wild.

Examples include:

Wow, that's straight up sabotage.

Like when I think gunner I always figured like, 'Trip over his feet to hold the door for the attending', 'records lab values of all patients on the list and is ready to chirp up when everyone was just assigned two to follow' and so on.