SDN Bracketology Challenge

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virilep

What can Brown do for u?
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys & gals,

So the brackets for March Madness are out and here's the SDN challenge. I know that being pre-anything involves a lot of gruesome studying and I figure this would be a good way to have a good time. I know there's another thread for the the bracketbusters, but not one especially for filling out brackets. So I started a group

Yahoo Bracket Group

Group# 1 (FULL~50/50): 48252
Password: SDN

Group# 2 (26/50): 76140
Password: SDN2

NOTE: Deadline to make picks is Thu Mar 17 11:15am CST.​

Since we have two, I'll combine the results and post on here.

Get on there and fill it out :idea: and the winner will get like 5 extra MCAT points of something :) and more importantly--> bragging rights.

PS. try to make ur team name the same as ur SDN handle. it'll be easier to keep track.

Disclaimer to the Mods: You guys are great. so puwweeez don't move this. :thumbup: it's healthy for the common pre-med. lol

Members don't see this ad.

the password is case sensitive, so make sure it is all capital letters

Members don't see this ad :)
Go Pitt!

No way we're getting to the Sweet 16 again this year but I can hope...

I'm in (Ill-E-Nee).

Boomer Freakin' Sooner!

I'm in but of course I'm biased. I always put UConn winning the championship. Hey, it's worked twice out of the last 6 years :) .

what the heck. I'm in as well. Good luck all!

i'm in too. go heels! :luck:

Duke all the way!! Go to hell Carolina, go to hell!

Even though we should be a #1 seed, :mad: :mad:

WAKE WAKE WAKE :D :D :D

Electrophys said:
Duke all the way!! Go to hell Carolina, go to hell!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

that's not very nice :thumbdown:

UNC baby...UNC all the way :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
haha, I thnk this thread is gonna start to be real interesting during the actual tourney. :)

TAR.............

.....HEELS!!! ;)

I'm in.....LEt's go UNC!!!

count me in too, didn't pay too much attention this year cause cal had little shot to get in, but ill give it a try anyway...

I'm in! March Madness is the greatest! :D :D

we got 38 so far. Goooooooooooo Louisville

I'm in...and ready to see the Heels win it all!

Kazema said:
Go Pitt!

No way we're getting to the Sweet 16 again this year but I can hope...

Hey, you never know...my first reaction to the seedings yesterday was that I think Pitt is the best number 9 seed I've ever seen. They are not as good as in the past couple years in many regards, but they are still capable of beating anyone on any given day. Combine that with their draw, and I'm having a tough time deciding if I want to call for that kind of upset. A weak number 1 against a very strong number 9 in the second round....aw hell, I'll stick with my Big East roots and go for it.

Other initial reactions of mine:
Being a huge UConn fan, I was pleasantly shocked by the 2 seed...though I must say, I think we're the weakest(or least deserving) 2 seed, and in the toughest region as well...but when the young group of guys are clicking, they're as talented as anyone

Syracuse should have been a 3(UConn too IMO).

Louisville deserved at least a 3, and I think Oklahoma State is the strongest 2 seed...yet their bracketed as if they're the weakest two seed...but I think it may help them, because I think they match up better against Illinois than UNC or maybe even Duke.

All in all, nothing too whacky about the bracket...just kind of weak that they went for the Roy Williams soap opera storyline, and they were inconsistent with how they weighed conference tournament performances.

Yeah, I've got Pitt upsetting Washington and then losing to Louisville. But I wouldn't be all that surprised to see Pitt get beaten by Pacific. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Pitt make the Elite Eight.

That's the thing with all the Big East teams I think - when things are clicking any of them can beat anyone in the country. I mean, Villanova and WVU could really surprise a lot of people. I could totally see WVU beating Wake Forest and Gonzaga. But I could also totally see WVU losing to Creighton. None of the Big East teams have been that consistent this year.

Kazema said:
Yeah, I've got Pitt upsetting Washington and then losing to Louisville. But I wouldn't be all that surprised to see Pitt get beaten by Pacific. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Pitt make the Elite Eight.

That's the thing with all the Big East teams I think - when things are clicking any of them can beat anyone in the country. I mean, Villanova and WVU could really surprise a lot of people. I could totally see WVU beating Wake Forest and Gonzaga. But I could also totally see WVU losing to Creighton. None of the Big East teams have been that consistent this year.

Agreed...until the Big East tourney, UConn had been very consistent down the stretch, with only one loss since January, and that was to UNC by 7 without their leading scorer. But then they looked terrible in the tournament. Much as I love UConn, I think they're a year away from another serious run. Syracuse has all the tools...they were surprisingly inconsistent this year, what with all the experience, depth and talent. But they look good right now, and if McNamara can shoot well in the tournament, they're very hard to beat. I think the biggest obstacle for the 'Cuse is going to be figuring out way that their 2-3 zone can somehow contain JJ Redick. If they can do that somehow, I like them to go far.

Nova is in a similar position to UConn...very solid team that can come at you different ways, but in that region, it's going to be so tough.

I'm in. Where are the upsets going to happen??

Kazema said:

nice dude :) haha. i got louisville. we got 45 in the first group so far. i think the max per group is 50. so ppl get in!

V

i'm in! pool #3 for me!

hey moderators, any way we can come up with some sort of prize for 1st place? it can be something really lame and stupid. :D

Go Creighton, one of the hottest teams in the tournament (8 straight wins)! Hopefully we can play Wake!

my hardest picks were

pitt vs washington in the 2nd round

and

okie state vs arizona in the sweet 16.

Jet915 said:
Go Creighton, one of the hottest teams in the tournament (8 straight wins)! Hopefully we can play Wake!
I got creighton with the upset first round

The first batch is full. I'll make sure I post the combined results on here for everyone to look at.

ornis4 said:
Hey, you never know...my first reaction to the seedings yesterday was that I think Pitt is the best number 9 seed I've ever seen. They are not as good as in the past couple years in many regards, but they are still capable of beating anyone on any given day. Combine that with their draw, and I'm having a tough time deciding if I want to call for that kind of upset. A weak number 1 against a very strong number 9 in the second round....aw hell, I'll stick with my Big East roots and go for it.
Def Pitt got a damn good seed. but in the end... I don't think it'll really matter. It's all about the final 4
ornis4 said:
Other initial reactions of mine:
Being a huge UConn fan, I was pleasantly shocked by the 2 seed...though I must say, I think we're the weakest(or least deserving) 2 seed, and in the toughest region as well...but when the young group of guys are clicking, they're as talented as anyone

Syracuse should have been a 3(UConn too IMO).

Louisville deserved at least a 3, and I think Oklahoma State is the strongest 2 seed...yet their bracketed as if they're the weakest two seed...but I think it may help them, because I think they match up better against Illinois than UNC or maybe even Duke.
I know I'm a dork, but i got louisville going pretty far. maybe it's just cuz of the loyalty. but I think we'll be able to pull an upset over the fightinh illini. (i know you all think i'm dumb haha)
ornis4 said:
All in all, nothing too whacky about the bracket...just kind of weak that they went for the Roy Williams soap opera storyline, and they were inconsistent with how they weighed conference tournament performances.

Definately. There's another mini story too with UK and Duke in the same bracket. KY is gonna get revenge...

virilep said:
the first one is full. the second one has 9 so far. we got 2 days left.

Less than 24 hours away!!!! sign up.

I'm in - I didn't let my hopes and dreams skew my picks this year-
I'd like to see: USU over Az, Louisville over GT, Utah over OU, and Mich. State over Duke but I picked against all of them.

count me in, too. this is a great idea!

ROCKCHALK JAYHAWK

The only problem I have with this and a lot of pools is that the scoring system doesn't really reward you for picking upsets. Instead of just getting more points for correct picks in later rounds, one should also get more points for picking upsets (in my opinion.) I know that some pools incorporate a scoring system that uses the seed differential as a multiplier such that correctly picked upsets are given more points than correctly picked locks.

Of course, I'm still gonna play. Some time I'd like to do a league that scored it in this way, though.

Thanks virilep for starting this up... I've been lurking on sdn for a while and this is my first post!

I'm pulling for Stanford but unfortunatley I don't think they're going to make it past Duke. I think there are going to be a lot of early-round upsets in this tourney... BC, Arizona, Kansas, Michigan State, and Oklahoma are likely to make early departures. Mabye we'll even see a 15-2 upset like UCF over Conn or E Kentucky over UK. Anyway, I'm very excited to see what happens in the tournament... without a doubt the best sporting event in the US.

count me in!

johnkimble said:
Thanks virilep for starting this up... I've been lurking on sdn for a while and this is my first post!
Mabye we'll even see a 15-2 upset like UCF over Conn or E Kentucky over UK.

What are you smoking?! ... but welcome to sdn

we got 26 so far in the second group. about 15 hours left y'all

tommerbommer said:
The only problem I have with this and a lot of pools is that the scoring system doesn't really reward you for picking upsets. Instead of just getting more points for correct picks in later rounds, one should also get more points for picking upsets (in my opinion.) I know that some pools incorporate a scoring system that uses the seed differential as a multiplier such that correctly picked upsets are given more points than correctly picked locks.

Of course, I'm still gonna play. Some time I'd like to do a league that scored it in this way, though.

I see what you're saying, but I don't really like a system like that. It would be interesting one time to see how it played out...but I think the system should be like the tournament, whoever wins the most games. Otherwise you could conceivably have people with fewer overall correct picks finishing ahead of others with more. It would change the way people went about the system too, causing everyone to choose more upsets if they knew that one coming to fruition could nullify damage done by picking another upset that didn't pan out. Like I said, interesting idea, but I don't think I'd like to be a part of it, especially with <ahem> money on the line....

virilep said:
haha, did ya'll see this?

grad rates of the teams

Yeah... I was just reading the same article on espn.com. When the athletes are allowed to get away with that in college because they can still get paid a lot of money later on, it shows why the NBA is a league with immature players.