Suny Ub

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brr

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did you know that they extended their interviews until April 20th....?
Just curious, for how many SDNrs UB would be a 1st choice? Is yes, then y?

Members don't see this ad.

Bleh, isn't this the second time they've extended their interview season? I've gone down to smack dab in the middle 1/3rd. If they keep extending I'll end up off the list altogether :rolleyes:.

I'm right there with you, Kaz, except if you got bumped down to the middle 1/3 I guess I'm probably near the bottom by now. :( (congratulations on UMDNJ, by the way. I saw in another thread you had gotten in). UB is actually my top choice now. I was surprised how much I loved the school when I visited. I just hope they have plenty of waitlist movement this year or I'll cry. Just got another rejection in the mail today so my chances are looking pretty slim.

Members don't see this ad :)
brr said:
Did you know that they extended their interviews until April 20th....?
Just curious, for how many SDNrs UB would be a 1st choice? Is yes, then y?

UB is my top choice also. How did you find out that they extended their interviews to 4/20?

Probably called Mr. Rosso for his/her status. He told me that they were interviewing through 4/20 too.

I would like to go to UB, I haven't checked my placement though. The lady at the office told me to wait until after April 6th, but I guess I'll call Mr. Rosso.

UtterlyConfused,

What happens after April 4th? Is that when they finalize their list? Im like many of you guys. Ive only got two waitlists, and I would give my right eye to go to UB. Okay, maybe not, but i'd love to go there.

Well April 6 was their last interview day but it's April 20 now, so I guess it'll be finalized after that.

Ok. Now I'm about ready to throw up. Why do they keep moving their interview date back? It’s like their saying – “these dopes on the waitlist aren't worthy of an acceptance so lets scrape the bottom of the applicant pool in search of some better candidates”. Wisconsin is looking better and better these days. MCW here I come?

GATORade said:
Ok. Now I'm about ready to throw up. Why do they keep moving their interview date back? It’s like their saying – “these dopes on the waitlist aren't worthy of an acceptance so lets scrape the bottom of the applicant pool in search of some better candidates”. Wisconsin is looking better and better these days. MCW here I come?

That's how I'm starting to feel too. Their waitlist has gotta be long enough at this point to put together a solid class of 2009 by now.

"So, is that all the interviews then?"

"Let me look at our waiting list...oh nope, Kazema and GATORade are still high enough on the list to possibly get in, better extend the interview season!"

:smuggrin:

hey guys, i just checked my status on their page and I got accepted after being "on hold"~ check your pages too! :)

Hey congrats! :)

I didn't think they pulled people off so early, but I think that can only be a good thing.

woewoewoewoe... the did what?? oy. maybe the gods are against me going to ub.... the longer the season goes the further i seem to drop. dammit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe this could be a good thing; maybe for some reason they think that they need an extra-long list this year because they foresee needing to through a lot more people on the list.

I'm really digging for positives here. Heh.

samiam said:
UtterlyConfused,

What happens after April 4th? Is that when they finalize their list? Im like many of you guys. Ive only got two waitlists, and I would give my right eye to go to UB. Okay, maybe not, but i'd love to go there.

Yeah, I guess beginning of April was going to be their last interview and after that we will know where we are on their list.

Kazema said:
Maybe this could be a good thing; maybe for some reason they think that they need an extra-long list this year because they foresee needing to through a lot more people on the list.

Then goshdarnit why don't they just accept all of us here languishing on the hold list. Mr. Rosso and Dean Severin, we'd LOVE to go to UB. ACCEPT US! ACCEPT US! :p

:luck:

Kazema said:

you know, i was kind of thinking this myself.... i think this whole process has everyone running scared -- kids get freaked out by everything they hear so end up applying to 20+ schools, so the number of apps per school is way up, but the same schools want the same kids so this small percentage of students are holding multiple acceptances, which will HOPEFULLY end in loads of waitlist movement.... or is this just wishful thinking?
and - kaz - congrats on nj!! so happy for you :)

Come back to the 2005 thread! We all miss you ;).

ms dagny said:
hey guys, i just checked my status on their page and I got accepted after being "on hold"~ check your pages too! :)
hey ms dagny, congrats! Just curious, what is the "last updated" date on your status page? Mine recently changed to 3/15/05, although my status unfortunately did not change from "Hold." Have you gotten a letter yet from UB?
Anyway, congrats again, I hope to join you soon in the accepted pool!

yea...mine says 11/23/04 which was what it said when i was on "hold". but now it says "accepted." im not sure that the updated date part is automatic or if someone just forgot...ahhh i hope this "Accepted" isn't a fluke. i'll e-mail mr. rosso. hahaha

ooooh my.....I just checked my status and I was accepted too!!!
I can't believe this!!!!! I just called last week and was told that I was moved to the middle third of the waiting list. I called Mr. Rosso and he confirmed my status!!!

Congrats Brr...That is really good news..

As for me I was in the same middle third and after hearing your news, called UB and found that I was bumped up to the upper third...alas no acceptance for me yet... but am still hopeful!

Chika

yea i called today too. :) accepted. YAY!!

Well I've officially been knocked down to the bottom 1/3 of the waitlist. I guess it's too early to lose all hope but it's hard not to at this point. SUNY tuition would have been nice, but I'm still grateful for my other acceptance. MCW here I come!!!

Good luck to those of you still waiting.

How are all of you guys finding out? When I called today all I got was that UB's last interviews were 4/13 and that the list should be finalized by around 4/20 so we could find out then. Did you email Mr. Rosso? I already emailed him once right after I found out I was on hold so I didn't want to pester him again...

If I am interviewing in April, where would I be placed on the waitlist? On the bottom 1/3 or worse?

I called this morning and was transferred directly to Mr. Rosso. The strange thing is, last time e-mailed I was told that I was in the middle portion of the waitlist. As of this morning, I was told that I was in the lowest portion of the waitlist. According to last year's waitlist post many people have been misled about their position on the list so I'm not sure what to think (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=113251&page=11&pp=20&highlight=SUNY+Buffalo). I'm just going to plan on attending MCW and be happily surprised if I'm offered a spot at Buffalo in the future.

GATORade said:
Well I've officially been knocked down to the bottom 1/3 of the waitlist. I guess it's too early to lose all hope but it's hard not to at this point. SUNY tuition would have been nice, but I'm still grateful for my other acceptance. MCW here I come!!!

Good luck to those of you still waiting.

Hey Gatorade,

I feel for you dood. Im afraid to call for fear of finding out I've been placed lower in the list. Last I heard I was in the middle, and that was awhile back. I did, however, manage the courage to email Mr. Rosso. But he hasn't yet responded. At least you're guaranteed a spot already! Everything else is just icing.

Do you guys call Mr. Rosso or email him to find out where you are on the waitlist?

I've always called.

So, we are aware that some people have already been accepted off the waitlist this year – and congrats to them. Has anyone been rejected after being put on the waitlist yet this year? Just curious to find out if the list is moving both ways.

well i called the lady told me that the last day of interviews is 4/20 and only after then can they tell me where i am on the list. i wonder why that is, especially since many people already know where they are on the list. i guess there just might be different categories. also i was just curious, when people say that they are on the waitlist is this different from being on hold??? because on my status page on-line it says "Hold / Lettered"??? are there people that have something differen, such as "Waitlist / Lettered"???

I'm under the impression that, at this point, everyone is on the “hold” list. However, after 4/20 the hold list will be restructured (shortened?) and will then be called the “alternative list”, which is separated into three groups – upper (high priority?), middle 1/3, and lower 1/3. Obviously, the higher you are on the list the greater your chances of acceptance. Why some people were already told about their status and other not, I have no idea. This however seems to be a common practice according to previous years posts: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=113251&page=11&pp=20&highlight=SUNY+Buffalo

You have to ask for Mr. Rosso. The other admissions staff may or may not tell you, but Mr. Rosso will.

Ahh I emailed Mr. Rosso and asked for my rank and all he told me was that they extended their interview season to apr 20 because of the number of applicants. That's no help and I guess I can't call him after I already emailed him about it. :mad:

So the online status page now says I'm "Alternate/Lettered" as opposed to the previous "Hold/Lettered." Anyone know what that means?? Good, bad? Got another rejection in the mail yesterday so I'm really hoping for some good news now! (Granted, the rejection was expected, but still...)

naimist said:
So the online status page now says I'm "Alternate/Lettered" as opposed to the previous "Hold/Lettered." Anyone know what that means?? Good, bad? Got another rejection in the mail yesterday so I'm really hoping for some good news now! (Granted, the rejection was expected, but still...)

I'm hoping this means that they shortened the hold list and created a permanent “alternate” list. This would mean that we all survived another day.

so i called mr rosso today, to find that im officially in the smack middle of the waitlist. oy. kind of makes me wish i didnt hear [circa january] that i was in the top third, but whatev.

i also asked about the alternate list and how that works -- he said that dean severin more or less totally deterimines how many people from the waitlist will make the cut - its based on how many they think they'll need to fill the class, the interest they have received so far, etc. and that the letters telling you if you made the alternate list or not should be going out late next week. if anyone gets any more info, let us know!

side note, every time i try to check my status online i get a message saying "Server does not exist or access denied." sup with that?? has anyone else gotten this or is it my crap computer?

Just FYI, I was initially waitlisted towards the middle of the waitlist, then called and found out I made it to the top of the list, 2 weeks ago, and then a week ago, I got my acceptance letter...

I don't know what system UB has going with that timeline, but I hope it helps some of you that although some waitlists won't move till May 15th, UB waitlist is actively changing day by day.

Chika

Ames980 said:
side note, every time i try to check my status online i get a message saying "Server does not exist or access denied." sup with that?? has anyone else gotten this or is it my crap computer?

naimist said:

I interviewed March 30th and thought that it was their last day (apparently not!), I was "waitlist/lettered" a week later, Mr. Rosso told me that I was in the middle of the list. I just checked today and it said I am "alternate/lettered" don't know what that means either. I think it is good news but I didn't get a letter in the mail yet so we'll see. Whats a little more waiting! :cool:

Crasavitsa said:
I interviewed March 30th and thought that it was their last day (apparently not!), I was "waitlist/lettered" a week later, Mr. Rosso told me that I was in the middle of the list. I just checked today and it said I am "alternate/lettered" don't know what that means either. I think it is good news but I didn't get a letter in the mail yet so we'll see. Whats a little more waiting! :cool:

I'm just wondering if this recent change was universally made on everyone's status page. Does anyone have something listed other than “Alternate/Lettered”? ie, Accepted/Lettered, or “Final decision mailed", ect?

chika_NYC said:
Just FYI, I was initially waitlisted towards the middle of the waitlist, then called and found out I made it to the top of the list, 2 weeks ago, and then a week ago, I got my acceptance letter...

I don't know what system UB has going with that timeline, but I hope it helps some of you that although some waitlists won't move till May 15th, UB waitlist is actively changing day by day.

Chika

so you were initally told you were in the middle of the waitlist? or the middle of the top 1/3? i feel like every time i call i get bumped down a bit more...
but congrats!!! thats fantastic!! are you planning on going to UB?

just wanted to get everyones thoughts.... i was reading last years thread, and there was waitlist movement beginning in april; how do you guys think holding interviews until the end of april will effect waitlist movement? im thinking it could be good insomuch as there must be a lot of people they offered spots to who have decided to go elsewhere... and apparently the list is moving now so. hm. we shall see. its just interesting to look at last years thread and see that they were more or less through the whole top 1/3 by the beginning of june. lets hope this year theres even more movement! [and, on that note, that we make the alternate list....] :luck:

Yeah my status page now says Alternate/Lettered - I'll probably call tomorrow to find out more. I just want it to be May already. Or June. Or July. Or August. Whatever. Getting kind of antsy about where I'm gonna be in the fall, I kind of want to be there (wherever "there" is) already.

Ames980 said:
so you were initally told you were in the middle of the waitlist? or the middle of the top 1/3? i feel like every time i call i get bumped down a bit more...
but congrats!!! thats fantastic!! are you planning on going to UB?:

Ames, I was initially told that I was in the middle of the waitlist, two weeks later I called, they told me I had moved towards the top, then a week later, I got an acceptance. There is definitely movement on the waitlist..I do plan on attending UB.

Did you send them anything, like letters of intent/interest or updates?

Kazema said:
Did you send them anything, like letters of intent/interest or updates?

I did send them one LOI, but I don't think it had anything to do with my acceptance, since I never even got an acknowledgement. I have sent 2 other LOI's and I got a response from both of them, whether it was a rejection or a movement on the waitlist...

chika

Kazema said:
Yeah my status page now says Alternate/Lettered - I'll probably call tomorrow to find out more. I just want it to be May already. Or June. Or July. Or August. Whatever. Getting kind of antsy about where I'm gonna be in the fall, I kind of want to be there (wherever "there" is) already.

Did you call today? I was planning on it but I never got the chance at work. Any news regarding the new status change?

chika - thats awesome :) and so exciting and so encouraging to see the waitlist moving

and kaz -- let us know if you got through to mr rosso today!! i just called on friday, so i feel like i have to wait a bit... im not quite ready to be known as the scary, neurotic one

Yeah I called (forgot to ask where I stood, silly me) but I did find out that yes, "Alternate/Lettered" means we survived the cut - we're on the "official" alternate list now. He said "Congratulations" like 5 times :laugh:. Apparently they sent out quite a few rejection letters. And as you all know it's already starting to move now, but the serious movement won't happen until after May 15.