Deferring?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chronoch

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the timelines for deferring and how long can you defer for?

I am nearing the end of my med school interviews, but I would like to defer for two years to pursue a MA. This MA program only recently came to my attention or else I would have waited to apply to DO schools. If I get in somewhere, would schools see this as a valid deferment excuse? I originally wanted to get an MPH while in school, but I would need two years of complete dedication to complete this program so I'm looking at my options of getting this degree before, during, or after my medical degree.

Members don't see this ad.

I have only heard of being able to defer for 1 year. I would not mention this at your interview since they will have a good reason not to accept you if they know you will defer. Contact the schools that have accepted you about defering to make sure.

Each school has a different policy, so you are just going to have to request a deferral immediately to those schools you've applied to. I would contact the admissions staff and ask them what the proper procedure is to request a deferral. Keep in mind that some schools do not consider deferrals at all, so you may get shot down quickly. I applied for a 1 year deferral to COMP and got approved . . . but they look at you on an individual basis there. Some schools may have a more structured policy on why you can defer. And I agree with dr.z . . . don't mention a deferral until you're accepted. You will definitely not be accepted if they know you're going to request a deferral. Also, request your deferrals immediately. I think timeliness makes a difference. If they have time to "replace" you for this fall, they may be more likely to approve your deferral. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
dr.z said:
I have only heard of being able to defer for 1 year. I would not mention this at your interview since they will have a good reason not to accept you if they know you will defer. Contact the schools that have accepted you about defering to make sure.

Not sure if this will help, but MSUCOM will let you defer for up to three years. They will let you defer for any reason pretty much-they are very understanding and lax.

I don't see what the big deal is about deferring-there is always someone on the waitlist they can pull.

Chronoch said:
What are the timelines for deferring and how long can you defer for?

I am nearing the end of my med school interviews, but I would like to defer for two years to pursue a MA. This MA program only recently came to my attention or else I would have waited to apply to DO schools. If I get in somewhere, would schools see this as a valid deferment excuse? I originally wanted to get an MPH while in school, but I would need two years of complete dedication to complete this program so I'm looking at my options of getting this degree before, during, or after my medical degree.

Why would you need the Master's Degree?

Many school's offer combined DO/Master's Degrees. It's only one extra year to do them together.

Thank you everyone for your comments. I also had the idea of not mentioning this at my interviews. ;)

The master's degree that I am looking at is not a 'traditional' degree and is not found at any medical schools, so the combined degree is not an option for me.

Have there been instances of students getting a masters before or after rotations? After seems like a better bet since two steps of COMLEX would be over with, but getting a residency after the masters might be a problem.

Why don't you get the master's after your residency?

I hope it is worth all the extra time and money you will spend to get it and pay for med school. Money may not be an issue but keep in mind there is a lifetime limit on the loans you can take out and that limit includes any undergrad, post grad and med school loans you acquire.

It would definitely be worth it to me in many ways. The nature of the masters is in such a way that I would like to study this material as soon in my life as possible; in a way, it is a culmination of some personal (non-academic) research that I've been conducting for a while. In that light, I don't know if waiting until after my residency would be a good choice for me.

At this point, I am also considering what medical schools offer me acceptances this year and possibly waiting until after my masters to go to medical school. The other advice I've seen on this forum suggests NOT to deny schools that you didn't care fo and apply next year to the ones that you loved yet didn't get an acceptance from this year; basically, go to any school that accepts you because any acceptance is a good acceptance.

I guess I agree with that, but I don't know if that should be the case for me. Let's say I am accepted to the master's program and only one or two medical schools accept me, neither of those are at the top of my list and I would rather learn elsewhere. If they allow me to defer for two years, I think I would do that. But if they don't.... wouldn't that be a good instance of refusing their offers, getting my masters, and then applying again?

Conversely, what if I am accepted to a school that I love but does not allow me to defer? Now that would be a difficult decision.

Any advice on this is greatly appreciated! This reminds me of studying cases in my medical ethics classes, deciding which facts are morally important, what is an acceptable decision, etc. :laugh: