Deferring a Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nutritionDO

Reaction score
So I am in a bit of a predicament, and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this. I will be an OMS1 this upcoming fall; and have been accepted to 4 schools, and put a deposit on a few. But am considering asking for a deferral for a year due to medical reasons.

I have been struggling with chronic illness for over 8 years, and the last year things have gotten quite a bit worse. My doctors have finally decided that a fairly major surgery is what is necessary. I am still in undergrad now, so pursing the operation isn't possible until June, which doesn't really leave much time for recovery. I know the procedure will be majorly impactful; it is GI related so likely I will not be able to eat regularly for quite some time, may have other complications etc.

I am worried that if I ask for a deferral I will lose my opportunity to go to med school, and I've gotten into my top two choices. But at the same time, I don't want to jump into the process if I'm not at the top of my ability to do so and succeed (i.e. have to take a LOA because I tried to do too much too fast). At the same time, I don't want to come across as incapable of being a doctor because of having a medical limitation (i.e. I don't want it to seem like I can't meet technical standards). Does anyone have any experience with this at DO schools, what the process would be or how this is viewed?

Members don't see this ad.

I deferred a year for my son's surgery and it wasn't a problem at all. The process for me was to get in touch with the dean and explain why I wanted to defer. She granted my deferral without hesitation. I also paid the security deposit to show I was serious about attending

Reactions: 1 user
I deferred a year for my son's surgery and it wasn't a problem at all. The process for me was to get in touch with the dean and explain why I wanted to defer. She granted my deferral without hesitation. I also paid the security deposit to show I was serious about attending
I did put my deposit on already, and attended accepted students day etc...I am so excited about the opportunity, I just don't want to lose it or come across as unable to perform the duties asked.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did put my deposit on already, and attended accepted students day etc...I am so excited about the opportunity, I just don't want to lose it or come across as unable to perform the duties asked.
None of us can tell you what to do. You have to do what you think is best. I know a few people in my class that took a LOA or went on extended study due to health reasons. I knew there was no way for me to have a successful med school career if I didn't defer

So I am in a bit of a predicament, and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this. I will be an OMS1 this upcoming fall; and have been accepted to 4 schools, and put a deposit on a few. But am considering asking for a deferral for a year due to medical reasons.

I have been struggling with chronic illness for over 8 years, and the last year things have gotten quite a bit worse. My doctors have finally decided that a fairly major surgery is what is necessary. I am still in undergrad now, so pursing the operation isn't possible until June, which doesn't really leave much time for recovery. I know the procedure will be majorly impactful; it is GI related so likely I will not be able to eat regularly for quite some time, may have other complications etc.

I am worried that if I ask for a deferral I will lose my opportunity to go to med school, and I've gotten into my top two choices. But at the same time, I don't want to jump into the process if I'm not at the top of my ability to do so and succeed (i.e. have to take a LOA because I tried to do too much too fast). At the same time, I don't want to come across as incapable of being a doctor because of having a medical limitation (i.e. I don't want it to seem like I can't meet technical standards). Does anyone have any experience with this at DO schools, what the process would be or how this is viewed?
This is a valid reason for a deferral!!!

Reactions: 1 users
None of us can tell you what to do. You have to do what you think is best. I know a few people in my class that took a LOA or went on extended study due to health reasons. I knew there was no way for me to have a successful med school career if I didn't defer
I know I can't ask anyone to make the decision for me, just really looking for some insight or experiences to calm my nerves - Does anyone have any suggestions for how to write a request for this, is it a formal letter?

I was accepted to OUHCOM and LECOM when I became pregnant with my son. I decided I wanted to defer for a year. Lecom said they don't offer deferral but if I applied again, they could get me in for an early interview with the next cycle. OUHCOM responded to my request with enthusiastic support and allowed me to defer. Now I'm in my first year, and I'm really glad I deferred and really happy I chose OU (which was my first choice even before I requested to defer). I discovered shortly thereafter that LECOM is not known for a friendly environment. You absolutely have a valid reason to defer, so your schools really should respond supportively. I can't guarantee that they will, but I do think if you make the request and they for any reason say no, you'll know more about that school, and if you were to decide to go anyways, having made the request will not negatively affect your experience at that school. I would write a professional letter to each school you're accepted to and see what happens.

I was accepted to OUHCOM and LECOM when I became pregnant with my son. I decided I wanted to defer for a year. Lecom said they don't offer deferral but if I applied again, they could get me in for an early interview with the next cycle. OUHCOM responded to my request with enthusiastic support and allowed me to defer. Now I'm in my first year, and I'm really glad I deferred and really happy I chose OU (which was my first choice even before I requested to defer). I discovered shortly thereafter that LECOM is not known for a friendly environment. You absolutely have a valid reason to defer, so your schools really should respond supportively. I can't guarantee that they will, but I do think if you make the request and they for any reason say no, you'll know more about that school, and if you were to decide to go anyways, having made the request will not negatively affect your experience at that school. I would write a professional letter to each school you're accepted to and see what happens.
Its good to know OUHCOM offered you this, as this is one of the schools I have put a deposit on. I guess I am just terrified of losing the opportunity if I ask.

I have ZERO doubt that OUHCOM would allow you to defer. A chronic health condition is an even better reason than a pregnancy, and when I contacted them, I told them I thought I would be better able to meet my personal and professional goals if I deferred a year. Their immediate response was, "Congratulations! I can't think of a better reason to postpone your medical education. We look forward to having you on campus next year." Also I'm super happy I ended up here. It's just a friendly accommodating place. I'm pregnant with baby number two and today I mentioned to the dean that I would like to get a microwave in the lactation room before my baby is born in 6 months. He followed up immediately and someone is installing one tomorrow. Idk how closely competitive your options are but if you're unsure I'm happy to tell you more aobut my experience!

Its good to know OUHCOM offered you this, as this is one of the schools I have put a deposit on. I guess I am just terrified of losing the opportunity if I ask.

"Asking for a deferral?? Clearly you aren't capable or worthy, we're rescinding your acceptance"-- said no one ever.

You have a perfectly valid reason, and it something that will improve your capacity to be a doc and live a normal life. Ask-- worst they can say is no.

Yes I agree and even if they said no, if you ended up going to that institution, it will not affect you negatively. They will hardly remember you made the request