OHSU vs. USC Keck

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which school is a better place to learn to take care of sick people?

• OHSU School of Medicine

Votes: 37 49.3%
  • USC Keck School of Medicine

Votes: 38 50.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

scujad

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's hear a sound-off: Which is a better place to learn how to take care of sick people?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say USC, hands down, largely because of County.

UCLAstudent said:
I'd say USC, hands down, largely because of County.

Hello? OHSU is ranked as the number 2 school for primary care.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I wasn't offered in state tuition at OHSU, then it would be USC all the way. It would be tough to match County's clinical opportunities at any school (despite OHSU's high primary care rankings), as well as P/NP at USC and relatively friendly student body. In state tuition, however, would sweeten the prospect of OHSU :)

how would you get instate tuition if you're not a resident of OR? Or are U? :)

smartievan said:
how would you get instate tuition if you're not a resident of OR? Or are U? :)

No, I'm not an OR resident - I'm from the beautiful pastures of central California (read: the land of everlasting cowsh*t). I read somewhere, and unfortunately I don't remember where, that OHSU offers in-state tuition to well qualified out of state aceptees. So I don't know if that's true, but I wouldnt mind if it were :)

tacrum43 said:

The OP asked for our opinions, and I gave mine. You don't have to agree with it. Forgive me for not swearing by US News.

Not to be a pooper, but anyone have comments regarding OHSU vs. Northwestern?

tacrum43 said:
Primary care rankings mean dogsh*t. As much as I like the midwest, I recommend you get hell outta here and go to california.

When are you clowns going to realize that primary care rankings aren't worth the paper they're printed on?

How the hell anyone can make a decision on where to go based on that crap is beyond me.

I don't think Oregon counts as the "midwest." Of course, I could be wrong.

MWillie said:
Primary care rankings mean dogsh*t. As much as I like the midwest, I recommend you get hell outta here and go to california.

I would definitely go with USC. Better location, great clinical experiences, and USC is just one of those schools that can get you "connected" in a variety of ways, ie great alum network

Members don't see this ad :)
UCLAstudent said:
The OP asked for our opinions, and I gave mine. You don't have to agree with it. Forgive me for not swearing by US News.

hey, ucla, don't worry about tacrum43. i, for one, totally value your opinion whenever you post. anyone can look up the rankings. that is why it is nice to come here to learn about getting OTHER opinions. (and i agree with you about county USC, by the way.)

sunUCB said:
I don't think Oregon counts as the "midwest." Of course, I could be wrong.
Whoops I read OSU, anyway, USC still.

USC! I had a sister and two friends go through it. You are in the most ethnically diverse places on Earth, and will have some of the poorest, illegal, unique, rare-disease-stricken patients ever. I would love to go to medical school there but I would not want to do my residency there. I've heard its grueling. You have to put up with the campus not being in the "safest" place in the city and the traffic sucks. Put it is CA!

dannyl said:
When are you clowns going to realize that primary care rankings aren't worth the paper they're printed on?

How the hell anyone can make a decision on where to go based on that crap is beyond me.

Yes, because any knowledgable pre-med can tell you that what really matters in term of physician education is having a high research ranking.

SanDiegoSOD said:
I read somewhere, and unfortunately I don't remember where, that OHSU offers in-state tuition to well qualified out of state aceptees.

I think this may only be WICHE students. Of course, next year OHSU may not be offering in-state tuition to anybody, as they are contemplating finally becoming a true private school.

xCD420 said:
Better location

Mind-blowing statement. You do realize that USC is in Los Angeles and OHSU is in Portland?

SanDiegoSOD said:
P/NP at USC

Though I went to OHSU, and I like the school, this would be the real reason to go to USC instead. An example of how your priorities change as you go through this process, maybe. Having gone through this once and knowing what I know now, I would have gone to Podunk Medical College of North Dakota instead so long as they'd had P/NP.

USC for sure. OHSU (and UW) are rated so high in primary care because of their strong rural health programs, but if that's what you want to do, then choose OHSU

locks said:
USC for sure. OHSU (and UW) are rated so high in primary care because of their strong rural health programs, but if that's what you want to do, then choose OHSU

What's really interesting is that fewer and fewer people from OHSU are going into primary care anymore. I think a few years back was the first time that <50% of the class went into a primary care field, and I believe it has continued to go down since then. Many people blame the Principles of Clinical Medicine course which runs through the first two years for this. It is ran by the family medicine department, and is unbearably sappy and "spiritual." With this impression of primary care in their heads, students are running toward plastic surgery et al. in droves.

MWillie said:

OHSU= Oregon Health and Science University, and has nothing to do with Ohio or anywhere else in the midwest. U.S. News certainly isn't the end all be all of medical school quality, but at least they know which state the school in question is in. :rolleyes:

MWillie said:
hey, ucla, don't worry about tacrum43. i, for one, totally value your opinion whenever you post. anyone can look up the rankings. that is why it is nice to come here to learn about getting OTHER opinions. (and i agree with you about county USC, by the way.)

I only mentioned that because UCLAstudent said "hands down". I've noticed this with other SoCal people too. There is a world outside of LA and different places are different for better things. The best of everything is not automatically in LA county or the surrounding areas. If it's such an easy decision, why is the vote almost 50/50?

And to SanDiegoSOD, yes, I do like the rain. Indie music, not so much. :)

tacrum43 said:
OHSU= Oregon Health and Science University, and has nothing to do with Ohio or anywhere else in the midwest. U.S. News certainly isn't the end all be all of medical school quality, but at least they know which state the school in question is in. :rolleyes:

:laugh: :laugh:

And who was it who said that LA is a better location than Portland? Sweet Jesus that was funny. :laugh:

Proof that one should not rely heavily on the opinions of SDN'ers vis-a-vis choosing a med school.

Anyway, I don't know much about USC, but OHSU is really a great school. Only 2 hours of lecture a day!

Mr. Seeds said:
Anyway, I don't know much about USC, but OHSU is really a great school. Only 2 hours of lecture a day!

Well, that's only during anatomy, when you also have lab. Most of the days it's around four hours.

Medikit said:
Ugh I hate LA. It's a regional thing though.

People who love LA are like people who love McDonalds. I cannot fathom any normal human being preferring LA over Portland.

But... P/NP. So wonderful. So wonderful.

UCLAstudent said:

Vaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllcooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooorrrr!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :thumbup:
great avatar

scujad said:
Let's hear a sound-off: Which is a better place to learn how to take care of sick people?

I say SC (though I am kind of bias b/c I grew up in a SC family. U-C-L-A sucks!!!! That's one of their fight songs by the way).

My father attended USC's medical school and all he talks about are the experiences he had over at L.A. County. That is his selling point. He is trying to get me to apply there too. And yes, the fact that County is located in an ethnically diverse setting, where more often than not you are dealing with patients who do not speak english, is significant plus!!!!!!!!!!

haha, riceman, you deleted that Ohio thing just in time. I was going to unload.

Medikit said:
Ugh I hate LA. It's a regional thing though.

Dont hate cuz LA is great!!! Yeah we know that our neighbors to the north are alwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyssss so slow to pick up on trends. And I am so tired of hearing that word HELLA!!!!!! You guys were still wearing cross colors in 1999.

j/k
Northern Ca is extremely beautiful, especially Lake Tahoe and rest of Sierra!!!!!
Yay for Harrah's!!!! Yum Yum buffet and skiing.

SF has its parts, San Jose and palo alto suck, santa cruz is beautiful, sacramento = cow town and pit stop for Los Angelinos on the way to Tahoe, (but somehow our state capital) Stockton = boon dock USA, Foster City = clean, East Palo Alto = Compton,

Oh yeah and LA = ballers!!!

I'm just playin w/ cha. I do have pride for the west coast though!

tacrum43 said:
I only mentioned that because UCLAstudent said "hands down". I've noticed this with other SoCal people too. There is a world outside of LA and different places are different for better things. The best of everything is not automatically in LA county or the surrounding areas. If it's such an easy decision, why is the vote almost 50/50?

I'm just going off of personal experience, okay? I interviewed at both and was totally blown away by OHSU. The campus was gorgeous, and in some ways I preferred Portland to LA. But for getting to see a wide range of illnesses, my vote still goes to USC. And, yes, "hands down." :laugh:

riceman, glad you like the avatar. :D

Thanks for the advice folks. I like the insight about P/NP, though USC does go to a High Honors/Honors/Near Honors etc. scale in the third year. In the end, it seems I can't go wrong.