internship: killing me softly with its love

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Frank Rizzo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I sit here writing off-service notes, with the gomere behind me emitting "aahhhhh, aahhhhh, aahhhhh," over and over and over and over and over again, I'm realizing how much I really hate IM.

T-11 months until anesthesia.

Members don't see this ad.

Absorb as much as you can and be grateful that after this year, you never have to write an H&P or off service note or progress note ever again except on your ICU rotations.

Members don't see this ad :)
UTSouthwestern said:
Absorb as much as you can and be grateful that after this year, you never have to write an H&P or off service note or progress note ever again except on your ICU rotations.
thats pretty much my plan.

On a funny side note, this AM I was talking to one of my attendings that actually started anesthesia, made it half-way through his ca-1 year, than went back to medicine. He said he "saw the light." It was all I could do to not start laughing.

Frank Rizzo said:
thats pretty much my plan.

On a funny side note, this AM I was talking to one of my attendings that actually started anesthesia, made it half-way through his ca-1 year, than went back to medicine. He said he "saw the light." It was all I could do to not start laughing.

Yeah but it was coming from the butcher shop.

UTSouthwestern said:
Yeah but it was coming from the butcher shop.

He probably found anesthesia to be more challenging than he thought it would be.

CambieMD

CambieMD said:
He probably found anesthesia to be more challenging than he thought it would be.

CambieMD
I feel your pain. I despise this year.

Annoyances said:
I feel your pain. I despise this year.

Geez, memories of intern year, endless rounding (I think sometimes the act of rounding is over justified....life could be made easier for medicine dudes if they'd just set their pt up initially with whatever is necessary (pneumonia:Abx, vaccine for future prevention, O2 prn,etc; severe COPD exacerbation: vent settings, meds, breathing Txs, sedation orders, nutrition, etc), check on 'em once a day, and fine tune stuff based on improvement and ancillary staff reports....most of the time patients in the hospital don't need to be rounded on, they need a little time for the plan to work...

endless scut work by young doctors doing crap they shouldnt have to do in order to get stuff done in an immortally inefficient academic system that employs ancillary staff that could give a rats ass, sleeping in a hospital on call for some unknown reason (how many private medicine/surgery dudes spend the night in the hospital on their call nite?), wasting an inordinate amount of time waiting for lab results/ancillary staff interventions like breathing Txs, ordered EKGs, Xrays, etc....getting up on your post call AM very early (after fielding phone calls all nite from RNs asking for s^it that is protocol in the non-academic world) in order to write notes that are meaningless in the patient's treatment scope, having to draw blood/transport the pt to CT yourself/run the blood to the lab yourself....etc etc etc because you realize very early that if you do the task yourself, no matter how menial, you'll get more sleep; going to required M&M/medicine conferences to listen to "experts" that are in academic medicine for a reason (personality flaws/laziness).....etc etc etc.....

I feel for you guys. Hang in there, and remember that your chosen profession holds better days than what you are experiencing now. Not all better days, but more better days than what most fleas experience.

Heck T minus 10 months...at this point, I'm subtracting vacation and off time. I thought about subtracting some of my elective months as well, but that's just pushing it.

I can't wait...

Got out early today, yeee haww.

Just sitting here at home reading some posts when I noticed an unusual repetitive little sound. Blip, blip, blip. I close my eyes for a sec and I realize its the fruggen pulse ox....but its in my HEAD.

I quickly replaced it with some I Tunes stuff.

jetproppilot said:
endless scut work by young doctors doing crap they shouldnt have to do in order to get stuff done in an immortally inefficient academic system that employs ancillary staff that could give a rats ass, sleeping in a hospital on call for some unknown reason (how many private medicine/surgery dudes spend the night in the hospital on their call nite?), wasting an inordinate amount of time waiting for lab results/ancillary staff interventions like breathing Txs, ordered EKGs, Xrays, etc....getting up on your post call AM very early (after fielding phone calls all nite from RNs asking for s^it that is protocol in the non-academic world) in order to write notes that are meaningless in the patient's treatment scope, having to draw blood/transport the pt to CT yourself/run the blood to the lab yourself....etc etc etc because you realize very early that if you do the task yourself, no matter how menial, you'll get more sleep; going to required M&M/medicine conferences to listen to "experts" that are in academic medicine for a reason (personality flaws/laziness).....etc etc etc......

you really hit the nail on the head. I'm only a month and a half in, but everything you're saying is true. I'm pretty tired of taking ABGs only to have the techs wait so long to come get the sample that it's clotted and I have to do it again. I've started walking them all up myself. I rotated in a private hospital for a med school rotation and I was amazed at how little the nurses had to call the residents. They were so much more independent than at the university; I was really surprised, and it got me thinking about why the academic system works the way it does. No answers yet...

cchoukal said:
you really hit the nail on the head. I'm only a month and a half in, but everything you're saying is true. I'm pretty tired of taking ABGs only to have the techs wait so long to come get the sample that it's clotted and I have to do it again. I've started walking them all up myself. I rotated in a private hospital for a med school rotation and I was amazed at how little the nurses had to call the residents. They were so much more independent than at the university; I was really surprised, and it got me thinking about why the academic system works the way it does. No answers yet...

Fellow R-1s, I too feel some of your pain. But I have found a partial solution, internship at a private hospital. Same great training, a lot less BS than the university.

jetproppilot said:
Geez, memories of intern year, endless rounding (I think sometimes the act of rounding is over justified....life could be made easier for medicine dudes if they'd just set their pt up initially with whatever is necessary (pneumonia:Abx, vaccine for future prevention, O2 prn,etc; severe COPD exacerbation: vent settings, meds, breathing Txs, sedation orders, nutrition, etc), check on 'em once a day, and fine tune stuff based on improvement and ancillary staff reports....most of the time patients in the hospital don't need to be rounded on, they need a little time for the plan to work...

endless scut work by young doctors doing crap they shouldnt have to do in order to get stuff done in an immortally inefficient academic system that employs ancillary staff that could give a rats ass, sleeping in a hospital on call for some unknown reason (how many private medicine/surgery dudes spend the night in the hospital on their call nite?), wasting an inordinate amount of time waiting for lab results/ancillary staff interventions like breathing Txs, ordered EKGs, Xrays, etc....getting up on your post call AM very early (after fielding phone calls all nite from RNs asking for s^it that is protocol in the non-academic world) in order to write notes that are meaningless in the patient's treatment scope, having to draw blood/transport the pt to CT yourself/run the blood to the lab yourself....etc etc etc because you realize very early that if you do the task yourself, no matter how menial, you'll get more sleep; going to required M&M/medicine conferences to listen to "experts" that are in academic medicine for a reason (personality flaws/laziness).....etc etc etc.....

I feel for you guys. Hang in there, and remember that your chosen profession holds better days than what you are experiencing now. Not all better days, but more better days than what most fleas experience.
Well said Jet. I can not think of a bigger waste of time than rounding.

im doin a mth of peds right now.. (how much i cant stand whiny lil kids is a diff story)...

but it took us 4 hours to do quick rounds on 10 pts who have been on the service for at least 3 days and have no acute issues... WHY?!@?@#

talk about torture... least in surgery u can round on 25 pts in 20 m ins...
uff so frustrating..

How many of y'all have no scheduled anesthesia month for intern year? My prelim med program allows only one free elective month, and that will be bumped if there are any "unexpected changes". Needless to say, us prelims are watching our categorical collegues' beta-hcg's very closely...

I'm a little nervous about the prospect of having no clinical anesthesia from like Nov. of MSIV year until CA-1 year, and walking in a little rusty. Any thoughts from those who have been there?

blocks said:
How many of y'all have no scheduled anesthesia month for intern year? My prelim med program allows only one free elective month, and that will be bumped if there are any "unexpected changes". Needless to say, us prelims are watching our categorical collegues' beta-hcg's very closely...

I'm a little nervous about the prospect of having no clinical anesthesia from like Nov. of MSIV year until CA-1 year, and walking in a little rusty. Any thoughts from those who have been there?

Don't sweat it. You're gonna look like a screwball even if you had an elective month under your belt some time during your tern year.