Operation Room Sheet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nick99

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, I would like to ask you what do you think about this: One of our surgeons does not write residents names in patient's files. It is supposed to be written on 'operation room sheet'. He doesn't bother to write down name of residents even when they do part of the surgeries.

Members don't see this ad.

You mean on the operative report that's written/dictated? That's pretty common for many surgeons, unfortunately.

Well, if my name's not on the operative report, that means I'm not going to get called to the lawsuit.

Course, it also means I'm not going to get credit for the case. Kinda works both ways.

fuzzyerin said:
Well, if my name's not on the operative report, that means I'm not going to get called to the lawsuit.

Course, it also means I'm not going to get credit for the case. Kinda works both ways.

Ok guys, but in one case surgeon got sued and then he provided name after. But it happened that it was discovered that that resident was actually not present during the surgery. And even, can you imagine that someone accepted to claim that it was him and even took all responsibilities for something he never did and accepted to be sued. When got caught then admitted that it was not him. Surgeon even after that refused to give name of the person who really was there. Don't you think that it is insane to accept all responsibilities for something you didn't do as a doctor? Would you do that? Why? What do you think about surgeon and resident who did that? Don't you think they are in trouble as they are got caught?

It's like you're talking, but I just don't understand...

toofache32 said:
It's like you're talking, but I just don't understand...

What is it that you don't understand? The surgeon did not want to give name of the person who was there and did part of the surgery. Did not write down his name in patient's file, so it looked like resident was not there at all. After patient insisted he (the surgeon) sent a letter to patient and provided name of the resident. The petient met resident and after sued the clinic, the surgeon and the resident. After all that patient discovered that the resident whose name was provided actually was not at the clinic at the time of the surgery, so it was someone else and this resident whose name was given was cover up, because the surgeon did not want to be discovered who was it. Even this man who was playing role like he was the one who was there admitted that he was not there after it was discovered. But surgeon still does not want to give name of the person who really was there and was involved in the surgery.

1. So what led the patient to question if the surgeon had residents there in the first place?

2. And why would another resident who had nothing to do with this accept responsibility?

3. Why is the surgeon refusing to tell who the "real" resident is?

It just doesn't add up.

toofache32 said:
1. So what led the patient to question if the surgeon had residents there in the first place?

2. And why would another resident who had nothing to do with this accept responsibility?

3. Why is the surgeon refusing to tell who the "real" resident is?

It just doesn't add up.

1. Before the surgery patient was asked to let resident just to watch the surgery. As patient was not totaly asleep during the surgery he saw someone else than the surgeon performing part of the surgery. After surgery patient had serious complications and naturaly asked the surgeon who was it and why he (the surgeon ) let resident do part of the surgery without consent even more reasons for asking is the fact that it was in private clinic and patient paid expensive surgery. The surgeon never wated to talk about it or to tell patient who was the person who was present. After patient insisted he gave name of that resident who later was discovered as the one who was not there.
2. To cover up and help the surgeon hide identity of the real person who was there. It must be something extremely bad for the surgeon if discovered who really was there, that's what explains that. The resident whose name was given was good friend of the surgeon, and probably wanted to help him to cover up. But when discovered he admitted that he was not there at all, probably got scared.
3. probably because it would mean losing his licence at first place.

Uh...if you weren't present during the case, and the attending tries to fudge his op note by listing you as surgeon junior/first assist, why would you worry?

Blade28 said:
Uh...if you weren't present during the case, and the attending tries to fudge his op note by listing you as surgeon junior/first assist, why would you worry?
I don't get what you are saying. There's nothing about me in the case. I just know about the case.

I mean, if the attending lies and says you were helping in the case - but you weren't - then why are you worried?

Blade28 said:
I mean, if the attending lies and says you were helping in the case - but you weren't - then why are you worried?
Not worried just curious, cause attending thinks he can get away with anything. And the other thing is that that resident whose name was given did not say anything at the beginning, but accepted to claim that he was there even told his version of the story, and then got sued along with surgeon and still no reaction, he accepted that and then after investigation it was discovered that it was not him. He kept quiet for a while and then admitted that it was not him.

Basically, if a surgeon lies and says that I helped him during his case...I'm just going to argue and deny it all the way. I don't know why you wouldn't.

Weird, though, I don't usually hear about that. If anything, I've heard of times when a disaster happens in the OR without an attending present, and later they'll try to fudge and say the attending was there (like he/she was supposed to be).

Any more comment???