Just a thought

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

loveumms

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not a major poster on this site but I do like to read this forum for the information and support it provides. Lately though, when reading though the threads I have found that I am troubled and saddened about where the profession of medicine has lead (and of course I am really talking about a minority of posters on this board).

Many of you are so petty and only concerned with bragging about how high you scored on the Boards or where you rank in your medical school class. These things will NOT make you a good doctor … and most of the time you are probably lying about your “credentials” anyway.

And then on top of that you ridicule others for scoring lower then you. Grow up and get a life! Stroking your ego on a medical school forum is not only pathetic, since it signifies you don’t have a life and that you are insecure since you have to prove yourself worthy. Its also incredibly childish and petty.

I just pray that if I’m in the hospital or in need of a quality doctor that I don’t end up on the steps of your institution or practice.

Members don't see this ad.

loveumms said:
I am not a major poster on this site but I do like to read this forum for the information and support it provides. Lately though, when reading though the threads I have found that I am troubled and saddened about where the profession of medicine has lead (and of course I am really talking about a minority of posters on this board).

Many of you are so petty and only concerned with bragging about how high you scored on the Boards or where you rank in your medical school class. These things will NOT make you a good doctor … and most of the time you are probably lying about your “credentials” anyway.

And then on top of that you ridicule others for scoring lower then you. Grow up and get a life! Stroking your ego on a medical school forum is not only pathetic, since it signifies you don’t have a life and that you are insecure since you have to prove yourself worthy. Its also incredibly childish and petty.

I just pray that if I’m in the hospital or in need of a quality doctor that I don’t end up on the steps of your institution or practice.

Get off your high horse and study some more

Pathetic:rolleyes:

I don't really feel like I'm on a high horse, just making an observed opinion ... and thanks for the advice but my study skills suit me just fine :)

Members don't see this ad :)
If I am interpreting your reply correctly, you are basically stating that my standards of achievement are less then yours … hence I am either not as smart as you or I don’t work as hard as you. I’m sure you are very smart and that you work incredibly hard (and you probably are one of those people who judge this on your scores, stats and how your med school ranks … yada yada).

I however am not one of those people. I am very pleased with my grades and board scores. No, I’m not in the top 1% of my class and I didn’t get a 269 but, I didn’t want either of those.

I don’t get off by comparing myself with others and feel good that my score is 10, 20 or 30 points higher then anyone else. I certainly don’t make people feel bad about themselves by talking down to them because they didn’t get a score as high as mine. I am not implying that you are either because I have not read through your 3000+ posts. Nor do I have the time to do so, but from your replies to my post, I get the feeling that you might be that kind of person.

There are many people on this board who have gotten 250+. Instead of them letting it get to their head they offer kind and intelligent advice to others about how to get a good score. Two of my best friends got 257 and 264 and neither of these people act condescending when around others who didn’t get those phenomenal scores.

On the other hand there are others who are on this forum just to make themselves feel good and degrade others … and those were the ones I was referring to in my first post.

I measure my success as becoming a competent physician that is down-to-earth and compassionate not in scores or grades. To me those things are subjective and what it really comes down to is being an extraordinary doctor. Is your patient ever going to ask you if you scored in the top 5% of your class or if you got above a 260 on Step I of boards? I highly doubt it. But they are going to notice if you are a pompous ass.

Pompacil said:
Everyone loves those holier than thous who express how much they hate when people talk down to others and then do it themselves.

I've seen ONE person on this board be a dick, so get over yourself.

Hmm. I wonder who that might be?

people are 2-faced. understand that.

Among peers, they can act like dinguses. But i've never seen an dingus act like an dingus around people of authority or patients. dinguses are smart enough to not act like an dingus when it really matters.

So cut the crap about the 'good doctor, bad doctor' and let the dinguses have their fun.

I doubt the above posts were the [enabling/whiney] ones our self-righteous OP was expecting. :p

Nice work, guys!!!

bigfrank said:
I doubt the above posts were the [enabling/whiney] ones our self-righteous OP was expecting. :p

Nice work, guys!!!

Actually, pretty much expected to get flogged for this post. I am very far from being a self-righteous person but I don't even really need to explain myself anymore.

;) I'm going to take youdontknowjack's advice and let dinguses be dinguses. ;)

YouDontKnowJack said:
Among peers, they can act like dinguses. But i've never seen an dingus act like an dingus around people of authority or patients. dinguses are smart enough to not act like an dingus when it really matters.

QUOTE]

I disagree, you can usually spot an dingus from miles away. It's hard to hide that part of someone's personality. Talk to any attending and they will tell you that many dinguses have come and gone through their departments. Talk to any patient, and they will tell you of at least one encounter with a doctor who thinks he/she is all-knowing and condescending. It takes a special kind of person to become a doctor: smart, driven, anal-retentive, competitive...combine that with the daily stressors of medicine that include working with colleagues with similiar personalities and unknowing patients and it requires a great deal of patience and self-reflection to NOT be an dingus.

I agree. You'd be surprised how some physicians just totally lack the ability to feign social skills when they are dealing with a patient.

One of the residents (who I thought limited his a$$hole behavior to morning report) was doing a pap, and his speculum light wasn't working-- he starts swearing in front of the patient, insulting the nurse, then he runs out of the room to get a new speculum light-- all without closing the door, covering the patient or telling her what was going on! I was mortified, and the patient was, well--- I don't even have a word for it.

Yeah, some a$$holes can play the game for a while, but when they get stressed, their true colors tend to come out.

Doc Ivy said:
I agree. You'd be surprised how some physicians just totally lack the ability to feign social skills when they are dealing with a patient.

One of the residents (who I thought limited his a$$hole behavior to morning report) was doing a pap, and his speculum light wasn't working-- he starts swearing in front of the patient, insulting the nurse, then he runs out of the room to get a new speculum light-- all without closing the door, covering the patient or telling her what was going on! I was mortified, and the patient was, well--- I don't even have a word for it.

Yeah, some a$$holes can play the game for a while, but when they get stressed, their true colors tend to come out.

I agree: But seriously Id say that a deep, conscientious, practitioner or lay person would at least have misgivings about an dingus(since thats the word we are using). As said above an dingus is going to be true to his "colors",he wont be able to totally hide it.
Id say being a decent practioner, (from what Ive seen) means being at least conscientious, a Simple introducion to the patient, as stated above compassion, not being condescending, and I cant stress this enough (even for highly educated people) focused, calculated, and even keeled communication and listening skills (many will feel that they have learned these crucial skills overnight which is pure B.S.) I have found that it takes work, practice and experience to incorporate the communication and listening skills.

Yeesh.....I take one day away from the Forums to be post-(horrendous)-call and look what happens......

How about we just live and let live ('cause those that deserve it DO USUALLY get theirs when it comes to the wards.....) and close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.