My dreams are completely shattered....please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redwings54

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with the head of my premed committee that is supossed to be writing my letter of reccommendation. I was told that they dont want to reccommend me or if they do, it will be with reservations. My GPA is 3.05 with a 2.83 science, and a 25 MCAT. They say that there are two main concerns with my application besides my lower grades. First, I got a C on my senior thesis in chemistry. I didnt get along with my thesis instructor and was focused on trying to get my fellowship together so I slacked on the thesis for the first semester. I got a B in it the second semester. My second fault is that I didnt complete my fellowship. My relationship completely fell apart and I became suicidal so I needed to come home. I am going through therapy and getting a lot better now.

But my hopes and dreams are crushed. I talked with two members of the committee. One wants me to completely withdraw my applications this year and rethink what I want to do. The other wants me to look at other fields besides medicine. He says I have great interpersonal skills so I might be better served in a NPO or maybe as a therapist. I feel completely lost. I have wanted to be a physician my entire life and want to help people. Once I found the osteopathic field, I saw something that I connected with and thought that I could thrive and excell in.

What can I do? Do I go ahead and have them send in the letter with reservations? Do I withdraw my applications and throw away all that money that I spent? Do I waste this year, apply to a post bac or SMP for next year and put off med school for a few more years? Or do I just forget medicine and start thinking about a new career? Please help.

Members don't see this ad.

Perhaps you could get two letters from science professors who would recommend you? Some schools will take these in place of a committee recommendation.

Members don't see this ad :)
First, don't give up on your dreams. That's rule #1.
I'm currently taking some time off (hopefully just a year) and working in education. Don't consider it a wasted year, do some volunteering/find a job where you can make a difference. (sounds corny I know).
Apply to a post-bac program since your grades aren't super strong, you probably should take the mcat again (I took it 3x and finally got a score that I wanted - no, I never wanted to take it more than once, but it's just happened that way.)
Also, taking time off is good, and especially since you've had such a crazy year, you might need to relax. Med school is pretty insane, and you want to be at the top of your game when you enter. I hope this makes you feel better, and remember (the DO, the MD and the PhD who have helped me through this process told me this) don't give up on your dreams!
If you have any questions, dont hesitate to PM me! :)

If you complete your application this year, I would dicourage you from using the committee since you will need a strong letter. If things don't work out for you, you should pursue post-bac and retake MCAT.

redwings54 said:
I just got off the phone with the head of my premed committee that is supossed to be writing my letter of reccommendation. I was told that they dont want to reccommend me or if they do, it will be with reservations. My GPA is 3.05 with a 2.83 science, and a 25 MCAT. They say that there are two main concerns with my application besides my lower grades. First, I got a C on my senior thesis in chemistry. I didnt get along with my thesis instructor and was focused on trying to get my fellowship together so I slacked on the thesis for the first semester. I got a B in it the second semester. My second fault is that I didnt complete my fellowship. My relationship completely fell apart and I became suicidal so I needed to come home. I am going through therapy and getting a lot better now.

But my hopes and dreams are crushed. I talked with two members of the committee. One wants me to completely withdraw my applications this year and rethink what I want to do. The other wants me to look at other fields besides medicine. He says I have great interpersonal skills so I might be better served in a NPO or maybe as a therapist. I feel completely lost. I have wanted to be a physician my entire life and want to help people. Once I found the osteopathic field, I saw something that I connected with and thought that I could thrive and excell in.

What can I do? Do I go ahead and have them send in the letter with reservations? Do I withdraw my applications and throw away all that money that I spent? Do I waste this year, apply to a post bac or SMP for next year and put off med school for a few more years? Or do I just forget medicine and start thinking about a new career? Please help.

Don't give up on your dream yet... You can still apply without a letter from the premed committee. Use interfolio (www.interfolio.com). Ask your professors or anyone else that suppose to write LORs for you to send them directly to interfolio. Each time you submit your secondary application, you can ask interfolio to send a copy to each school. DO schools will accept letters from interfolio. Good luck.

I agree with the above. Premed committees are more convenient as far as letter-writing, but that is ALL. They have a preconceived notion of the "perfect" premed student, but the truth is that everyone has to go through things in life that don't necessarily coincide with a good application. The perfect applicant would get straight A's, lots of EC, be a published researcher, etc., because they DON'T have to work a full-time job, DON'T have interpersonal relationships that might distract them, and spend their time kissing premed committee ass. Don't let this get you down. Get letters from science profs that know you and in whose class you have gotten a decent grade. They don't have GPA cutoffs for recommendations, and won't run a transcript check on you before deciding to write for you. Get the letters, write a kick-ass PS, and you'll be fine.
I have stats similar to yours and got interviews.

Yes, agreed with all the above posters. Here's what you do:

1. Get letters quickly from actual professors.
2. Submit applications, apply to many many DO schools if you have the $$$.
3. Wait and see.
4. It's January and nothing's happenned...Start studying for April MCAT.
5. Optional: Take some classes in the meantime, science classes to raise the GPA.

MAC said:
Don't give up on your dream yet... You can still apply without a letter from the premed committee. Use interfolio (www.interfolio.com). Ask your professors or anyone else that suppose to write LORs for you to send them directly to interfolio. Each time you submit your secondary application, you can ask interfolio to send a copy to each school. DO schools will accept letters from interfolio. Good luck.

Not to side from the OP's topic, but can you send individual letters to individual schools? Say for instance you are working with an amlumni MD form school X and you want that LOR to go to just that one one school you are applying to, is that possible?

Hey

Excellent advice here as usual. I would suggest, however that you might consider taking some science classes over (if possible) to bring up your GPA) AACOM (DO schools) replace your old mark with the new one. Obviously your thesis cant be done over, but if you a a few lower pre reqs they could be done.

Your marks arent bad but you are on the low side of competitive. The MCAT is average for some DO schools and may allow you to get in. The only down side is that science GPA. The suggestion to retake the MCAT is a good one. A weighed MCAT will look better against a lower science GPA. I would also be very open about your personal issues at the time contributing to your mark. This is often taken into consideration.

good luck!

crys20 said:
Yes, agreed with all the above posters. Here's what you do:

1. Get letters quickly from actual professors.
2. Submit applications, apply to many many DO schools if you have the $$$.
3. Wait and see.
4. It's January and nothing's happenned...Start studying for April MCAT.
5. Optional: Take some classes in the meantime, science classes to raise the GPA.
I concur.

I have found that many pre-med advisors don't know :barf: !

redwings54 said:

Please let us know where you are going to school.

Your MCAT score is on par with 13 of the 21, or better yet half of the DO schools that report MCAT. A 26 would place you in the top 5.
http://www.kcom.edu/faculty/chamberlain/ranmcat.htm

Find some professors that like you and ask their help.

Some schools will require a premed committee letter if your school has one. So keep that in mind. That said...first don't panic. This is a hard process to go through and very stressful, so take a breath and think things out.

1. the science GPA is low. Have you done badly in lower level science courses, were the grades lower in the upper courses, did you start out low and get stronger grades as you went along, did you have a few bad semesters but overall had Bs or above??? These are things med schools look at when they look over your application.

2. Make another meeting with the head and talk to them again. Bring up the things you wrote about here, not as excuses but rather as an explaination of what was happening in your life. Tell them you are not willing to give up on your dreams and would like to know what it would take to have them write a letter for you. He said he would write it with reservations...what did he mean. Did he mean that the reservations would be included in the letter or that they would have reservations but wouyld write it for you anyway.

3. Bypass the committee and have your profs write your letters. Also do you have a great extracurricular in a health field. That can greatly help your DO application. Showing that you have been a long term solid volunteer or worker in a health care field is a HUGE asset to your application. Get a letter from them. Use a letter service to have your letters sent to and they will send them out for you.

4. Don't give up. If this is something you want, go for it and let nothing stop you.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
i agree, never give up on your dreams! try to find professors who will write you letters. the only thing you might have to be concerned about is if the schools ask why you chose not to use your committee. however, i have not seen that question on the secondaries i filled out so you might be ok. good luck, don't lose hope and i wish you the best. if it doesn't work out this year, have a plan to do something on the year off. take some science classes to boost your gpa, i think your MCAT score is fine for DO schools. get to know your profs so they can write letters for you if you do end up applying for another cycle.

Sundarban1 said:
Not to side from the OP's topic, but can you send individual letters to individual schools? Say for instance you are working with an amlumni MD form school X and you want that LOR to go to just that one one school you are applying to, is that possible?

Yes you can. With interfolio, you can choose which lettter you want them to send to a particular school.

MAC
AZCOM 2009 :clap:

JKDMed said:
Bypass the premed committee and get science LORs, although it may be hard to find them with a 2.8 science GPA.
That's right - bypass the committee. FOR SURE.

Don't let what they tell you dictate what you will do with your life! You control what happens in your life, not them. Just stay happy and positive and focus on doing your best, no matter what happens. Never give up!

redwings54 said:
First, I got a C on my senior thesis in chemistry. I didnt get along with my thesis instructor . . . I got a B in it the second semester. My second fault is that I didnt complete my fellowship. My relationship completely fell apart and I became suicidal so I needed to come home. . . .
Are you sure you are ready to make this most serious commitment?

A previous poster already stated this but it is true alot of the premed committee people can be total jerks :rolleyes: . From what I gathered it's because they want to brag about the number of applicants from that particular undergrad that were accepted into med school. Hence what they tend to do is only recommend the average to stronger applicants. It's just a numbers game.

I want you to consider if you are in a place where you can see yourself buckling down and blowing the roof off any post bacc classes or programs. If you are I would suggest that you hold off on applying this year and doing a program. Think of it this way- okay so a 2.83 sci gpa isn't stellar but imagine how impressed the adcoms would be if you brought in a 4.0 from a post bacc? That would help your gpa and situation out tremendously.

But cheer up. This is not the end. It's just a little bump. Here's your chance to show them that you've got the drive to plow through this little bump! :cool: And the best part is when you do get accepted you can go back to those idiotic premed ppl and say, "how you like them apples, biatch!" :D

Thank you guys and girls for the advice so far. Perhaps if I tell a little about myself, then you can give me a little more advice on what I should do. I graduated in 2004 from Hamilton College, the #15 ranked liberal arts school in the nation, with a degree in chemistry and a minor in philosophy. I became involved in a program called DEAR, Drop Everything and Read, teaching second graders to read. I quickly became the chair of the program and participated in it for 4 years. During freshman year, I also was elected to student government and served on that for four years. I was elected to trustee committees and the chair of additional committees as well. I started playing rugby that spring and quickly became a starter. I was selected captain and president my junior and senior years. My sophomore year I was selected a member of an honor society for only 13 members of the class. The focus of the society was anonymous (sp?) service to and in the name of the school. I was then elected a member of the junior classes honor society serving the same purpose but containing only 7 members. My junior and senior years I was an RA and a TA for organic and general chemistry. I have done two summers of research and obtained a publication in JACS as well as a presentation at the national convention of ACS. I started out school with a lot of B-'s in science classes and then moved into the B/B+ range in the upper level classes. However, I have taken two post bac classes, micro and genetics and got B's in both. It seems no matter how hard I try, I always end up with B's. My GPA after my sophomore year was 2.83 so I do show a slight upward trend. Perhaps my biggest achievement was winning my fellowship. It was a self designed fellowship in psychoneuroimmunology and shamanism in Russia and Scotland. I worked with holistic healers and medicine men learning tons. However, because my relationship fell apart, I needed to come home. I have worked in a hospital as a phlebotomist/specimen processor for a little while and have shadowed both DO's and MD's.

So that is a little about me. I have already sent secondaries to UNECOM, NSUCOM and KCOM, but have to send in secondaries to PCOM, LECOM, LECOM-FL, and CCOM. I also have apps in at NYCOM, WVCOM and VCOM. My DO letter is from an alum of UNECOM that I have shadowed. UNECOM is my top choice and I really would love to go there. I am 22, almost 23 and from NH. I now work as a waiter trying to make money and get my life in order. Any more advice would be great and much appreciated. Thanks.

redwings54 said:
Thank you guys and girls for the advice so far. Perhaps if I tell a little about myself, then you can give me a little more advice on what I should do. I graduated in 2004 from Hamilton College, the #15 ranked liberal arts school in the nation, with a degree in chemistry and a minor in philosophy. I became involved in a program called DEAR, Drop Everything and Read, teaching second graders to read. I quickly became the chair of the program and participated in it for 4 years. During freshman year, I also was elected to student government and served on that for four years. I was elected to trustee committees and the chair of additional committees as well. I started playing rugby that spring and quickly became a starter. I was selected captain and president my junior and senior years. My sophomore year I was selected a member of an honor society for only 13 members of the class. The focus of the society was anonymous (sp?) service to and in the name of the school. I was then elected a member of the junior classes honor society serving the same purpose but containing only 7 members. My junior and senior years I was an RA and a TA for organic and general chemistry. I have done two summers of research and obtained a publication in JACS as well as a presentation at the national convention of ACS. I started out school with a lot of B-'s in science classes and then moved into the B/B+ range in the upper level classes. However, I have taken two post bac classes, micro and genetics and got B's in both. It seems no matter how hard I try, I always end up with B's. My GPA after my sophomore year was 2.83 so I do show a slight upward trend. Perhaps my biggest achievement was winning my fellowship. It was a self designed fellowship in psychoneuroimmunology and shamanism in Russia and Scotland. I worked with holistic healers and medicine men learning tons. However, because my relationship fell apart, I needed to come home. I have worked in a hospital as a phlebotomist/specimen processor for a little while and have shadowed both DO's and MD's.

So that is a little about me. I have already sent secondaries to UNECOM, NSUCOM and KCOM, but have to send in secondaries to PCOM, LECOM, LECOM-FL, and CCOM. I also have apps in at NYCOM, WVCOM and VCOM. My DO letter is from an alum of UNECOM that I have shadowed. UNECOM is my top choice and I really would love to go there. I am 22, almost 23 and from NH. I now work as a waiter trying to make money and get my life in order. Any more advice would be great and much appreciated. Thanks.

LECOM will accept LORs from 2 science faculty in place of a committee letter.

Fu...ck the BS committee. Bypass them, and like others have said get LORs from prof's.

If you can't get any from past profs, then consider taking some post-bacc's over the next year, get a job you like, do some volunteering, get good grades in your classes and make it a point to get 2-3 good prof LORs. Then, you will have greatly strengthened your app. You'll be a bit older, have more experience, and will have bumped your science GPA up a bit more.

I'm 31 in a few weeks. Trust me that time flies. One year is nothing, so don't sweat it.

But, NEVER look to some BS "committee" to determine your self-worth or your future. You can take the advice, but consider it constructive critisism, and move on. Good luck. You will get there.

If you do decide to take more classes, drop some EC's. You already have a good track record for EC's which won't keep you out anywhere however the grades will.
Good Luck!

BrettBatchelor said:
If you do decide to take more classes, drop some EC's. You already have a good track record for EC's which won't keep you out anywhere however the grades will.
Good Luck!

I agree. Sounds like you were trying to be super human. It is better to get good grades with few ECs because it shows you can at least do the work. Having tons of ECs with low GPA is more questionable whether or not you could do the work.

Just a quick update.

Today I came home from work still depressed about the letter. I checked my email and found out I was offered an interview at WVCOM for September 21st. I still need to have letters sent but at least I got my foot in the door. I am thinking about having two of my science professors write me recs and then the person I did my fellowship with write me a rec too. Hopefully they wont be that bad, or at least more promissing than the pre med committee. So thanks everyone. I will keep you all updated.

redwings54 said:
My relationship completely fell apart and I became suicidal so I needed to come home.
I'd definitely give this some more consideration ;)

redwings54 said:
Just a quick update.

Today I came home from work still depressed about the letter. I checked my email and found out I was offered an interview at WVCOM for September 21st. I still need to have letters sent but at least I got my foot in the door. I am thinking about having two of my science professors write me recs and then the person I did my fellowship with write me a rec too. Hopefully they wont be that bad, or at least more promissing than the pre med committee. So thanks everyone. I will keep you all updated.

Congrats on your interview - my bet is that it will be the first of many to come. Despite the outcomes, never give up on your goals. As an undergrad, I came across the same obstacles. Between my friends and myself, we decided that about 1% of people who talk with the Pre-Med committee/health professions office actually get favorable feedback regarding a prospective future in medicine. It seems that these people serve as some sort of filter to weed out anyone who isn't absolutely committed to pursuing medicine, despite the criticism they receive.

My grades as an undergrad weren't so hot - I'm sure I would win the worst undergrad GPA award. Fortunately, I wound up doing ok on the MCAT. In addition, I had a rich background in clinical medicine and volunteering. I did wind up taking a year off and taking a year to complete a master's degree, but it was all worth it. As best I remember, two science and one non-science letter could replace the pre-med committee letter at most schools - I would pursue that option. As soon as you get those in, I would just prepare to answer some rough questions about your transcript. Truthfully, those were the worst questions I encountered. Just answer honestly and don't make excuses. It looks like you had quite a bit on your plate but all those experiences will also factor in to your application.

I'm matriculating at KCOM now in the class of 2008. Despite every negative comment, every "have you considered any other alternatives to medicine," I'm not ashamed to say that I am doing quite well here. I firmly believe that it all comes down to how badly you want to pursue a future in medicine. Don't let some number-cruncher behind a desk dictate your future. Keep your head up and good luck on your interview(s)!

Andy
KCOM 2008

redwings54 said:

Don't give up man and don't even think about suicide. You said you wanted to help people and that will not help anyone but only cause misery to the people that care most about you. If you have to go to a Carribean Med school then just do it. Show those basterds at your school that you can do anything that you put your mind to. Hang in there. If you don't believe in yourself then no one else will.

atrovariousg said:
I would never rule this out as an option. :D

Do you really think that is a laughing matter? There is a fine line between being funny and being a trollish jerk and you're flirting with it!

redwings54 said:

If you are in such a precarious emotional state, just make sure you brace yourself for any negative information that comes your way (i.e. rejections). Don't think of getting into medical school as the only thing that defines you. Keep a rational head, since you have had suicidal ideations in the past. Make sure your therapist is apprised of the application situation as you progress through it.

Just remember, if you don't get in this year, you can work on your app and shoot for next year.

take care.

Hey all. Thanks for the advice so far. Just to let everyone know, I am not suicidal at all anymore, am seeing a therapist and am doing a lot of things to become better and happier. I talked with a few of my friends, teachers and current med school students and got a lot of different advice.

I asked three science profs to write recs for me for my pre med committee. My thesis advisor gave me a crappy rec I feel and the other two gave me positive recs. However, one of the remaining two is on the premed committee and now, knowing what he knows, feels that he would have to change his rec to a reserved rec. So that leaves me with one science rec, a rec from my anthro prof who I did my fellowship with and one from a philosophy prof, my minor. Plus I have a rec from a DO who graduated from UNECOM, my top choice school. I took two classes this summer with the same prof, got B's in both classes, and could ask him for a rec, even though he doesnt know me well.

So what I am thinking of doing is just applying to the schools I already have sent secondaries to. I can use the good recs to apply to UNECOM, and I have a friend there who is willing to write a little something for me. For KCOM, I couldnt find what kind of recs they need, and for NSU and WVCOM, I need two science recs so I am unsure of what to do. Any other advice would be really appreciated. Thanks.

redwings54 said:
Hey all. Thanks for the advice so far. Just to let everyone know, I am not suicidal at all anymore, am seeing a therapist and am doing a lot of things to become better and happier. I talked with a few of my friends, teachers and current med school students and got a lot of different advice.

I asked three science profs to write recs for me for my pre med committee. My thesis advisor gave me a crappy rec I feel and the other two gave me positive recs. However, one of the remaining two is on the premed committee and now, knowing what he knows, feels that he would have to change his rec to a reserved rec. So that leaves me with one science rec, a rec from my anthro prof who I did my fellowship with and one from a philosophy prof, my minor. Plus I have a rec from a DO who graduated from UNECOM, my top choice school. I took two classes this summer with the same prof, got B's in both classes, and could ask him for a rec, even though he doesnt know me well.

So what I am thinking of doing is just applying to the schools I already have sent secondaries to. I can use the good recs to apply to UNECOM, and I have a friend there who is willing to write a little something for me. For KCOM, I couldnt find what kind of recs they need, and for NSU and WVCOM, I need two science recs so I am unsure of what to do. Any other advice would be really appreciated. Thanks.

You kind of remind me of that Patch Adams guy a-k-a use to be suicidal and now you're not. I just saw the quote by him in your conclusion space and realized this. That was a kick a*s movie!

-pointless post

redwings54 said:
Plus I have a rec from a DO who graduated from UNECOM, my top choice school. I took two classes this summer with the same prof, got B's in both classes, and could ask him for a rec, even though he doesnt know me well.

Make sure that letter is a strong letter of rec. I would not even dream of asking a professor that I earned a B in their class to write me a LOR. Of course this is just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions ("They are like dinguses, everyone has one")!

Yeah, asking a prof who you don't know well for a rec is a bad idea, especially if you only got a B in the class. It matters less who your recommender is and more what they write about you.

Definitely avoid the committee; "Recommend with reservations" is a kiss of death. If you don't have enough recommenders, do something that will let you acquire some. Take a class and ace it, do some volunteer work and REALLY impress them with your enthusiasm, etc. Recommendations are important for everyone, but are absolutely critical for anyone with a spotty academic record. If you can't get them right away, I would recommend delaying your apps until you can.

This is where your dream gets better. Life is an interesting experience. Don't take life too seriously. I used to get all worked up about things like that just because it things don't work out according to MY PLAN. Consider how much better the reward will be when you succeed. It's all about effort.

Congrats on your interview invite with WVSOM! Their acceptance rate post interview is 74%. It could be higher this year since they are trying to double their class size. Make sure you are prepared for the interview even though it is relatively conversational.

As for letter of recommendations, make sure you have them in before you interview so they can make a quick decision. The committee meets every Tuesdays. Like everyone has been telling you, you can always bypass the pre-med committee for every school. They don't know if your school has one or not. I got a really good letter from a summer class (2 months) I took and Aced it. I'd rather get one from those that barely knows me than one with reservation. My D.O. letter, although positive, was only THREE lines and I still got in! It can be done. I did request one from my premed committee but they do not meet until early September so instead of waiting I went ahead and requested a couple of letter on my own. I received my acceptance from WVSOM three days before my premed committee called to tell me that my letter was ready! Glad I did not wait.

Again, good luck with WVSOM interview. Your chances of an acceptance is REALLY good!

I think you will definitely be able to attend medical school and become a doctor. The only bit of advice I would give you to help you in med school is that you need to be able to say no to lots of time wasting activities.

Med school requires you to focus on one thing to the exclusion of lots of other interesting and rewarding activities. Lots of organizations and activities will beg you to participate and you will have to say no to them and sharply limit your extracurricular activities in order to excel. If you do this you will be fine! :) And you will get great grades.

If you are not happy with your choice of med school there are many post bacc and masters degree programs that will vault you into the med school of your choice. :) You are young and there is no hurry to get any of this done.

Congratulations. That's great to hear. Listen, get your things together and things will work out. GOOD LUCK!!!

-Billy

redwings54 said:

I am glad to hear that you are feeling better. That is a step in the right direction. I woudl go and talk to the summer prof and see what he can do for you. I would bring your application essay in with you so he can read it and get an idea about why you want to go to medical school. Since you had 2 classes with him, maybe he would be willing. It is worth asking him.

Good luck. You will make it through. This is a very stressful process with lots of turmoil. So keep your chin up and your eyes on the road and you should do fine.

All my best,
Amy B

Grats on the WVSOM interview, it's a neat school. Hopefully I'll get an invite after the August MCAT scores are released.

I wouldn't mind going there. I almost want to live in a more "remote" area for awhile so I can focus on medicine and my martial arts training. :thumbup:

Redwing--
To give you some perspective, you are definately pretty young and have plenty of time to do the med school thing. If you don't end up applying or getting in this year, no sweat. And f**k the premed committee. As far as I'm conerned, they are there to help their own stats...and they've forgotten..heck the whole med school industry has forgotten, that good doctors and good grades are not correlated.

I would, however, think that taking next year to work or do a post bacc might be a good idea for your mental health. There is no slacking in med school....and the next year will give you a chance to get your zen back in order.
Good Luck

Congrats on the Interview! If you were to ask me, I think that you should consider the Basic Medical Sciences Master's program at Wayne State's med school...you may be able to apply yet for the winter semester starting in January...this would give you the opp for a nice rec letter should you not get accepted to Class of 2010, and it would let schools know that you are seriously interested and will be able to withstand the future workload...Don't give up...there are so many ways to work around the pre-med committee bs...MSUCOM does not require them, so it may be worth a shot! Good luck - PM me if you want any additional info on WSU...

im pretty sure you will get into wvsom...they are accepting ppl without even interviewing them...anyways..worse comes to worse..find a 1 year pre-med post-bacc..and work hard for one year..and you will be guaranteed a spot in med school

Dude the same thing here, they like screwed me over and their so disorganized, i was fine with it until i read PCOM and saw they want a rec. from the committie or the dean so I'm really trying to get them to like me but they don't, but u sound good talk to ur professors and get them to write rec. for u something will work out, just keep ur head up

I bipassed the premed committee and asked for letters directly from 2 science professors. They were happy to help and I was accepted.

redwings54 said:

Please don't give up on your dreams! Some premed advisors are just brutal for some reason, not that they have a right to be. Just bypass the committee letter from your school. And go to examkrackers.com - they have a weekly 'round table' discussion w/an advisor who used to be head of admissions at NYMC - you'll get good sound advice from an adcom set of eyes on how to best move ahead.

Yea don't give up. If you really want to go to med school, then don't let people stear you in other directions.

But maybe a year off wouldn't be a bad idea? Perhaps it can help you sort stuff out and really give you the time to let yourself get ready for med school? One year really won't make a huge difference in the long run.

My pre-med advisor was really unhelpful...he kept telling me he didn't think I'd get in - and it's only October and I have two acceptances. I did NOT use the pre-med committee, and I offered no explanation to any schools as to why I didn't. No one even asked. On top of that, I had a professor I knew really well write me a letter even though I had a B in both of his classes when it was written.

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll be fine - but you might want to speed up sending out those LORs as much as you can. It's getting late.