My dreams are completely shattered....please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My advice may be a bit unorthodox but I would consider getting a Masters or post-bac degree at one of the osteopathic schools you are interested in IF you don't get in this year. :) As an example, I'm at AZCOM, and they are very receptive to accepting one of their "own" from the Masters and Post-Bac curriculum if they succeed in it. Admissions is very political and if the schools gets to know you up close and personal when you are on their campus and taking classes, they could really care less about your previous "pre-med committee's" comments. This would also allow you to get new letters of recommendation from your instructors in the new program you would enroll in. Most of the professors who teach your Masters and Post-Bac classes also teach the medical students too so it's possible you could get an LOR from a medical school professor.

You don't necessarily have to complete the degree. You can just attend the program for a year and submit your application that Spring to enter for the following fall of that year. If you get in, then you can drop out of the program and start DO school in the Fall. If you don't get in, you will just improve your chances for the following year by continuing to take classes or do research at the school.

It may seem expensive to pay for another year of school in some remote place but if it means the difference between you attending medical school in the United States or going to Ross or some offshore school, I would seriously considering doing one of these Masters/Post-Bac degrees.

Members don't see this ad.

There is nothing wrong with ROSS or SGU, they are both fine schools. I would have a difficult time choosing between my local DO school and SGU.

redwings54 said:
I just got off the phone with the head of my premed committee that is supossed to be writing my letter of reccommendation. I was told that they dont want to reccommend me or if they do, it will be with reservations. My GPA is 3.05 with a 2.83 science, and a 25 MCAT. They say that there are two main concerns with my application besides my lower grades. First, I got a C on my senior thesis in chemistry. I didnt get along with my thesis instructor and was focused on trying to get my fellowship together so I slacked on the thesis for the first semester. I got a B in it the second semester. My second fault is that I didnt complete my fellowship. My relationship completely fell apart and I became suicidal so I needed to come home. I am going through therapy and getting a lot better now.

But my hopes and dreams are crushed. I talked with two members of the committee. One wants me to completely withdraw my applications this year and rethink what I want to do. The other wants me to look at other fields besides medicine. He says I have great interpersonal skills so I might be better served in a NPO or maybe as a therapist. I feel completely lost. I have wanted to be a physician my entire life and want to help people. Once I found the osteopathic field, I saw something that I connected with and thought that I could thrive and excell in.

What can I do? Do I go ahead and have them send in the letter with reservations? Do I withdraw my applications and throw away all that money that I spent? Do I waste this year, apply to a post bac or SMP for next year and put off med school for a few more years? Or do I just forget medicine and start thinking about a new career? Please help.

Premed committees are stupid. They said I wouldn't get in. I was accepted to 5 schools, and had an interview at a top 10 MD school.

Members don't see this ad :)
NRAI2001 said:
There is nothing wrong with ROSS or SGU, they are both fine schools. I would have a difficult time choosing between my local DO school and SGU.

:thumbdown:

Dumbest thing I've heard all day.

OSUdoc08 said:

That's because you never bothered to research caribbean schools. BTW, NRAI's local DO school is new and shares clinical rotation sites with students from Ross, AUC and SGU. Since SGU has been around fifty million years more than NRAI's local school, I can see why one would opt for SGU. Note, NRAI did not say he'd pick Ross and SGU over every DO school.

exlawgrrl said:
That's because you never bothered to research caribbean schools. BTW, NRAI's local DO school is new and shares clinical rotation sites with students from Ross, AUC and SGU. Since SGU has been around fifty million years more than NRAI's local school, I can see why one would opt for SGU. Note, NRAI did not say he'd pick Ross and SGU over every DO school.

I don't know why you like to contradict everything I say. Is it fun for you?

You got an interview at OSU-COM, so you should be thankful.

An American degree is better than a foreign degree PERIOD. END OF STORY.

OSUdoc08 said:
I don't know why you like to contradict everything I say.

Probably because you don't know wtf you're talking about half the time.

As for your last comment, American MD yes. American DO, not always.

JKDMed said:
Probably because you don't know wtf you're talking about half the time.

As for your last comment, American MD yes. American DO, not always.

We'll agree to disagree.

FMG's are the MOST looked down upon in most residency programs.

OSUdoc08 said:
We'll agree to disagree.

FMG's are the MOST looked down upon in most residency programs.

Alas, another blanket statement. DOs are looked down upon too. It varies from program to program. I have spoken to residents, both US and IMG, who said there was no bias in their program. I'm willing to trust the residents.

Honestly, are you really in the position to be looking down upon anyone? You are at a DO school after all, regardless of whether you chose it over MD or not.

There is no reason to argue opinions, everyone has their own. However, there is also no reason to look down upon anyone else's chosen path.

OSUdoc08 said:
I don't know why you like to contradict everything I say. Is it fun for you?

You got an interview at OSU-COM, so you should be thankful.

Maybe because you like to make blanket statements like this one.

Nate said:
There is no reason to argue opinions, everyone has their own. However, there is also no reason to look down upon anyone else's chosen path.

This is true. FMG's, DO's and MD's all work alongside each other, and they're all physicians.

JKDMed said:
Alas, another blanket statement. DOs are looked down upon too. It varies from program to program. I have spoken to residents, both US and IMG, who said there was no bias in their program. I'm willing to trust the residents.

Honestly, are you really in the position to be looking down upon anyone? You are at a DO school after all, regardless of whether you chose it over MD or not.

DO's aren't looked down upon in the area where I live. That may be true where you are.

OSUdoc08 said:
DO's aren't looked down upon in the area where I live. That may be true where you are.

Thats bc ur from Oaklahoma (spelling?). Go to the west or east coast and u ll see something different.

OSUdoc08 said:

You just have some kinda of complex bc u choose to go to DO school. In all of your posts you claim that DO schools are on par with MD schools in every aspects. Perhaps this maybe true for educational issues (and perhaps not), but the way society perceives DO is not. DO are still considered to be below MDs. Fair or not, this is reality.

Go to the carribbean. In the end, you want the coursework to determine whether or not you have what it takes to become a doctor, not someone's interpretation of your CV.

Ok, I feel the need to chime in since this was originally my thread. Since I last posted I have since decided to withdraw my applications from all those schools which I havent sent in secondaries to already. So the schools I still have my application into are KCOM, NSUCOM, and UNECOM. UNECOM is my top choice by far and I am hoping that I get in there at some point. What I decided to do was use three individual letters of rec to apply to these three schools. I doubt I will get in but I think that going through the whole process and finding out from the schools areas where I can improve my app will be helpful.
As far as going to the Carribbean, I dont think its for me. I am very close to my family and I think going that far away to the Carribbean will be more stress than it will be beneficial for me. Additionally, I really agree with the osteopathic philosophy and want to go into either pediatrics or family practice. Therefore, debating whether or not I could get into a tough residency isnt really relevant cause peds and FP arent all too difficult for DOs. I also am thinking of doing a millitary scholarship so finding a residency wouldnt even really be relavent cause I would be on a military base.

So the reason I started this thread is because I was very upset that my school wasnt going to give me a strong rec and I wasnt sure what to do. I received some good advice from people on here so I thank you for that. If I dont get in this year than I am hoping to do a post bac somewhere. I am looking at the Drexel MSP program, the UPENN special science program and the LECOM postbac program. Any advice you guys have on these programs would be helpful. Thanks to all for all your help. Cheers.

redwings54 said:
Ok, I feel the need to chime in since this was originally my thread. Since I last posted I have since decided to withdraw my applications from all those schools which I havent sent in secondaries to already. So the schools I still have my application into are KCOM, NSUCOM, and UNECOM. UNECOM is my top choice by far and I am hoping that I get in there at some point. What I decided to do was use three individual letters of rec to apply to these three schools. I doubt I will get in but I think that going through the whole process and finding out from the schools areas where I can improve my app will be helpful.
As far as going to the Carribbean, I dont think its for me. I am very close to my family and I think going that far away to the Carribbean will be more stress than it will be beneficial for me. Additionally, I really agree with the osteopathic philosophy and want to go into either pediatrics or family practice. Therefore, debating whether or not I could get into a tough residency isnt really relevant cause peds and FP arent all too difficult for DOs. I also am thinking of doing a millitary scholarship so finding a residency wouldnt even really be relavent cause I would be on a military base.

So the reason I started this thread is because I was very upset that my school wasnt going to give me a strong rec and I wasnt sure what to do. I received some good advice from people on here so I thank you for that. If I dont get in this year than I am hoping to do a post bac somewhere. I am looking at the Drexel MSP program, the UPENN special science program and the LECOM postbac program. Any advice you guys have on these programs would be helpful. Thanks to all for all your help. Cheers.

You can DO it! ~Rob Schneider