How Happy are You at Your School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

benfolds23

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see a list of how happy people are with their schools: straight up, no BS.

This isn't a time to try to say its better than it is to try to make you feel good about your decision or, from the other side, a total pessimist about something that may be good. Just be honest. Does it suck or is it enjoyable?

Please state your school.

Members don't see this ad.

Dental school sucks for the most part, plain and simple.

UNC: Overall, happy with my choice. After going on externships and comparing myself to other dental students I feel like we get superior training clinically. I scored well on part I so didactically we are fine also.

I'm tired of jumping through hoops and fighting my way through jungles of red tape to get anything done. That's how it is everywhere, though.

Arizona:

I am really happy at my school. There are a lot of times that patience is necessary because we are a new school and things are always evolving. No competition here. Our class works very cooperatively. The faculty and administration cultivate that kind of an atmosphere. Dental school is always going to be a lot to learn and requirements to fill, but I don't think I would be happier anywhere else.

Members don't see this ad :)
ElDienteLoco said:
Arizona:

I am really happy at my school. There are a lot of times that patience is necessary because we are a new school and things are always evolving. No competition here. Our class works very cooperatively. The faculty and administration cultivate that kind of an atmosphere. Dental school is always going to be a lot to learn and requirements to fill, but I don't think I would be happier anywhere else.
What DcS said. There's a lot of garbage that's just inherent to the system, and you're going to find it no matter what school you attend. On the whole, I'm satisfied with my experience at IUSD so far.

I like the work, but the politics make the entire experience really ****ty. The instructors here have way too much power, and we poor students have little say so in how things are done around here. For example, the other day, I had done a wax up for one of my crowns, and the professor in charge of signing me off shaved off my functional cusps because they were "wrong" according to her. I redid the wax up and showed it to another professor, and he mentioned that it was one of the best waxups he'd seen in the school.

SUNY @ Buffalo.
Where else does a Vet with a Bsc borrow 150+G to be treated like Shi+?
I was treated better by the Marines! The Freaking MARINES!!!

Do you realize how bad dental school is when you'd rather go back to Boot Camp most times?

I keep hearing its worth it, but I'm still waiting.

kerrydds06 said:
SUNY @ Buffalo.

Do you realize how bad dental school is when you'd rather go back to Boot Camp most times?

I dunno about *that*. ;) On a per-day basis, I'd take dental school over a four-year Basic Training anytime.

aphistis said:
I dunno about *that*. ;) On a per-day basis, I'd take dental school over a four-year Basic Training anytime.

I should have gone to your school then. :)

i went through army bct, pldc, bncoc as well as obc. there are a LOT of retired military dentists that are instructors here at umkc. there are all pretty screwed up socially and could probably never make it in a private practice. they all came to a dental school so they can keep bossing people around and treating the students like enlisted subordinates.
there is so much worthless crap that they put us through, because they feel it is some right of passage. it's the army way of thinking that they had to do it, so we should have to as well.

kerrydds06 said:
SUNY @ Buffalo.

UMDNJ

Clinical experience is great. Lots of patients with multiple ailments, you get to see and do a lot

Having said that I hope someone goes postal in our administrative department one of these days because I have had it with those cock$uckers. They have made my life hell. For some reason it is more important to be adminstratively sound in these parts than clinically or academically for that matter.

AMMD said:
UMDNJ

Clinical experience is great. Lots of patients with multiple ailments, you get to see and do a lot

Having said that I hope someone goes postal in our administrative department one of these days because I have had it with those cock$uckers. They have made my life hell. For some reason it is more important to be adminstratively sound in these parts than clinically or academically for that matter.
Same boat here at Temple. A LOT of admin BS and it's sad that they truly don't care for the quality of the education that we get here. It's really all about money and politics and its sad that we pay all this money while they sit around on their golden thrones and push us around like pawns. I would not have come here if I knew all the shady business that goes on here behind the scenes. For the most part, we have decent faculty although it's tough trying to figure out what each one wants.

I loved Marquette. Brand new school, great faculty, and prepared me well for my specialty. The only downside is the cost but this is to be expected at any private school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nova is pretty laid back...I'm in my second year, and I can tell you that we definitely aren't dealing with the same degree of BS attitudes/politics from our faculty & administration that most of you are seemingly experiencing. We have our fair share of problems (a few of our didactic course instructors just suck, but it's nothing that you can't overcome by doing your own self- studying), but overall this is a really great place to be. Our pre-clinical lab courses could be better organized, but the faculty definitely wants us all to succeed & do as well as we possibly can. The work load is tough, but the fact that we don't have any jack#s*es walking around treating us like scum goes a long way...

flat4 said:
Same boat here at Temple. A LOT of admin BS and it's sad that they truly don't care for the quality of the education that we get here. It's really all about money and politics and its sad that we pay all this money while they sit around on their golden thrones and push us around like pawns. I would not have come here if I knew all the shady business that goes on here behind the scenes. For the most part, we have decent faculty although it's tough trying to figure out what each one wants.

I have to agree with what my school mate said earlier. Sometimes I really wonder if these folks are on some substances. They make you feel like you've sold your sold to the devil of dentistry. The curriculum set up is ass-backwards and with time consuming extra classes that no one else in the nation seems to be taking (oral epidemiology??? anyone else???), sooo many professors are on ego trips, and admissions lets themselves be run by certain outsiders. The only thing I'm happy about is the fact I was able to go through a 7-yr program so I can get an extra year of life to myself.

Dental school is a bitch.....no two ways about it. To put it in perspective though....it's been worse for me than both divorces I went through. Worse than my father dying (okay, dealing with him was no picnic). Worse than being robbed of my fertility. Worse than just about anything I've lived through.

But, dental school is a thousand-fold easier than having cancer. So, in a way I'm thankful I've had that experience. Otherwise I might think my life was hard right now. Dental school is also easier than living in poverty, a bad neighborhood and without a sense of hope.....so I'm glad I had those experiences too.

That's been my feeling at UConn. I think it's all about perspective.

IUSD

Though I've only been in d school coming up on 2 months, I like it so far. The friends I've made here have kept me from missing FL (1000 miles away) and my family. I have cooperative classmates with very few gunners.

The teachers and classes have not been too horrible. While the work load is bigger than undergrad, it's do-able if you pace yourself with the studying.

PBL sucks, but it's really just more annoying than hard, especially if you have PBL research to do and you have a big test that same week...

All the upper classmen have been nice and helpful with the DS1 so far. Hopefully it will last. :D

However, I'm sure my story will change when I get into the meat of dental school... :eek:

IWuvTeef said:
However, I'm sure my story will change when I get into the meat of dental school... :eek:

It probably will

Pacific:

I love it so far, but we haven't quite finished the first quarter. I hear clinic has lots of red tape and upper classmen say it can get tedious. But, I think the faculty are fantastic and more helpful than any other faculty I've worked with at other schools.

Bickle said:
It probably will
+1

I think most of the happy campers posting here are still in pre-clinic but I could be wrong. I too was once very proud Temple student believing all the BS I had heard during interviews. Once sophomore year was over, I began to see the light...and being on student council has helped me witness the shady activity going on here first hand.

Maryland's been great so far, except that our lectures this morning were . . . well . . . lacking. The amount of free time we get during our first year is definitely nice. We got out at 1 pm today, and finish at 10 am on Thursday after our microbiology exam. From here on out for the rest of the year, school finishes at 1 pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays for independent study.

Another great thing about my school is that the students are fairly laid back. People are easy going and not uptight. I definitely got this feeling when I interviewed at Maryland, as opposed to (an unnamed school) where it felt like everyone was strutting their stats and talking about how hard it was to get into the school.

We'll see what tune I'm singing in a couple of years.

MsPurtell said:
Dental school is a bitch.....no two ways about it. To put it in perspective though....it's been worse for me than both divorces I went through. Worse than my father dying (okay, dealing with him was no picnic). Worse than being robbed of my fertility. Worse than just about anything I've lived through.

But, dental school is a thousand-fold easier than having cancer. So, in a way I'm thankful I've had that experience. Otherwise I might think my life was hard right now. Dental school is also easier than living in poverty, a bad neighborhood and without a sense of hope.....so I'm glad I had those experiences too.

That's been my feeling at UConn. I think it's all about perspective.

Jesh, what a sell.

uconn.gif

UCONN Dental School - Well, It's Better Than Cancer!

LMAO! Well I guess that came out wrong. There are wonderful people here and I'm getting a great education. It's tough though.

Do you go to UConn?

SuperTrooper said:
Jesh, what a sell!!!

uconn.gif

Now that's funny!

SuperTrooper said:
Jesh, what a sell.

uconn.gif

MsPurtell said:
LMAO! Well I guess that came out wrong. There are wonderful people here and I'm getting a great education. It's tough though.

Do you go to UConn?

No, I'm not at UConn. I interviewed there though, and thought it was nice.

I can understand dental school being a lot of work with long hours and all that. But I've never heard of this work/stress having the devastating emotional component that would go along with divorse, death, and losing your fertility. I mean, I think having my nads torn out would be a whole lot WORSE than having a tough year where I'm overwhelmed pulling all-nighters and taking b.s. from power-tripping clinical instructors. Aren't the first two years of UConn mostly with the medical school anyways? It can't be that tough if the med school is doing it. Maybe there's more to your story?

I hope your final year goes smoothly.

I'm not at UCONN but there is some emotional component to dental school considering the attitudes many people have there. I have no problem doing work and a lot of it. However, with the condescending attitude of classmates and teachers making comments in a matter whereby they are clearly being rude with no point in mind you can't help but feel as though there's a lot of devastation. You take away most of your livlihood, often regular contact with loved ones, and money to be there. You know you aren't going to BS it. But to have professors patrolling to see if you're wearing all white sneakers with no logo (like at my school), it's as if they want to see you only as an inanimate object. I am a consumer, I chose to be there, I treat my classmates and professors with respect, I will always do my work thoroughly and study as I should. With this in mind I believe I deserved to be treated with nothing less than respect. So if I felt as though everyone was treated with equal respect and there was not as much behind the scenes nonsense politics (which staff regularly informs me of) I would feel different about my institution.

I'll give you guys an example of something that happened at my school. It's not a big deal but just to show you what I mean. Last year when we came in for our winter semester after the break there was a meeting scheduled for students who failed a course. They had a secretary come into our lecture hall and have all the students come with her after calling them by name. We weren't told why they were pulled away but people eventually heard by word of mouth and figured out what was going on. Why on Earth couldn't they have sent an e-mail or a note in the students' mailboxes? One of my classmates was called and she said afterwards how she felt completely humiliated. Was that really necessary. And what's so ironic about it is if all of these people failed, you would think the school would keep them in class because they would supposedly need to review the most out of anyone. Again, a$$-backwards.

SuperTrooper said:

I can understand dental school being a lot of work with long hours and all that. But I've never heard of this work/stress having the devastating emotional component that would go along with divorse, death, and losing your fertility. I mean, I think having my nads torn out would be a whole lot WORSE than having a tough year where I'm overwhelmed pulling all-nighters and taking b.s. from power-tripping clinical instructors. Aren't the first two years of UConn mostly with the medical school anyways? It can't be that tough if the med school is doing it. Maybe there's more to your story?

My final year is going great!

SuperTrooper said:

QTpieDMD said:
I am a consumer, I chose to be there.
If I said this line to my mother, she would reply: "No, you are a student, and they have granted you the privilege of studying dentistry there. They chose you to be there. So be quiet, and suck it up!" :p

I agree that dental school can be emotional, but I guess you just have to let it roll off your back (hard, i know). Your clinical instructors probably aren't picking on you in particular. But if your classmates aren't showing you respect, i suggest you show them the back of your hand! :D If you think dental students have it hard, just remember how bad medical students have it. Medicine is still crazy old-school with 30 hours shifts and all that fun stuff.

SuperTrooper said:
If I said this line to my mother, she would reply: "No, you are a student, and they have granted you the privilege of studying dentistry there. They chose you to be there. So be quiet, and suck it up!" :p

I agree that dental school can be emotional, but I guess you just have to let it roll off your back (hard, i know). Your clinical instructors probably aren't picking on you in particular. But if your classmates aren't showing you respect, i suggest you show them the back of your hand! :D If you think dental students have it hard, just remember how bad medical students have it. Medicine is still crazy old-school with 30 hours shifts and all that fun stuff.
Amen.

QT, do us a favor and tell all your instructors tomorrow how lucky they are that you chose their dental school to attend. Let us know what they tell you.

aphistis said:
Amen.

QT, do us a favor and tell all your instructors tomorrow how lucky they are that you chose to attend UConn. Let us know what they tell you.
QTpieDMD said:
QT pie DMD
NJDS 2008
-smooches -
QT might have a long drive to tell UConn how lucky they are to have him or her. :smuggrin:

AMMD said:
UMDNJ

I'm thinking about going to UMDNJ but because administration isn't so hot..you think they're going to cause problems later? Didn't they cut the budget?

Well here at Temple university things are ok I think they could be alot better. The school treats the students like garbage I think. Recently the school turned the curriculm upside down. Its a major pain to get chairs even though we have a plentiful amount of patients. I would say that the school hasnt lived up too what I thought the school would be like in my clinical years. Or what I was sold when I interviewed here.

I am currently attending USC, I really couldn't be any happier, PBL Rulesssss, I love the integration of critical thinking and case-based curriculum at the school. SIM Labs and Clinics are top-notch, the people are very friendly and you get to make a lot of friends since PBL groups are rotated every semester. Everybody is very friendly here, I mean Everybody, the upperclassmen help us and three or four are usually around the library asking us if their is anything they can help us with. The strange thing is that not to many know about SDN, I kept asking people if they knew about the site and nope, one or two knew what i was talking about.

TeethVader said:
I am currently attending USC, I really couldn't be any happier, PBL Rulesssss, I love the integration of critical thinking and case-based curriculum at the school. SIM Labs and Clinics are top-notch, the people are very friendly and you get to make a lot of friends since PBL groups are rotated every semester. Everybody is very friendly here, I mean Everybody, the upperclassmen help us and three or four are usually around the library asking us if their is anything they can help us with. The strange thing is that not to many know about SDN, I kept asking people if they knew about the site and nope, one or two knew what i was talking about.

I heard USC was fifth in the nation for part 1 of the boards this year with an 87.5% average. It seems that PBL is starting to show how effective it can be. The administration has made some huge improvements to the program. So far the PBL system seems amazing. USC gets a lot of crap on this website, but it seems that the school is on the rise.

Johnson22 said:
I heard USC was fifth in the nation for part 1 of the boards this year with an 87.5% average. It seems that PBL is starting to show how effective it can be. The administration has made some huge improvements to the program. So far the PBL system seems amazing. USC gets a lot of crap on this website, but it seems that the school is on the rise
An 87.5 scaled average is possible, but I'll flatly guarantee no school in the country has an 87.5% mean score. ;) That'd be a 99, with room to spare, in every section except dental anatomy. Congratulations on the scores all the same.

aphistis said:
An 87.5 scaled average is possible, but I'll flatly guarantee no school in the country has an 87.5% mean score. ;) That'd be a 99, with room to spare, in every section except dental anatomy. Congratulations on the scores all the same.

I meant 87.5 score

JavadiCavity said:
Pacific:

I love it so far, but we haven't quite finished the first quarter. I hear clinic has lots of red tape and upper classmen say it can get tedious. But, I think the faculty are fantastic and more helpful than any other faculty I've worked with at other schools.

+1

School's stressing me out and I'm exhausted all the time, but I'm loving it so far. I'm extremely happy with my decision to go to UOP.

aphistis said:

If the national average was nearly an 86 this year, then that means there's a huge cluster of schools hovering right there, especially if USC is 5th with an 87.5. There must be 20-30 schools in the 84-87 range.

TeethVader said:

Well I've heard of SDN. Who are you and Johnson22? I'm definately looking forward to PBL too....

What cells are you guys in....and anyone want to go paintballing?

Hey man! I'm Gabriel and am in cell C1, Paintball..mmmm...I don't know, why don't you email me, it sounds like a good idea
blumnday99 said:
Well I've heard of SDN. Who are you and Johnson22? I'm definately looking forward to PBL too....

What cells are you guys in....and anyone want to go paintballing?

Johnson22 said:
I heard USC was fifth in the nation for part 1 of the boards this year with an 87.5% average. It seems that PBL is starting to show how effective it can be. The administration has made some huge improvements to the program. So far the PBL system seems amazing. USC gets a lot of crap on this website, but it seems that the school is on the rise.

Yeah, the problem-based integration is very effective since it switches our train of thought 180 degrees, you are not spoon-fed at this school, you are required to use critical thinking. And what can I say about the clinics, wow man, the ortho clinic looks like a beverly hills' clinic. I am very happy with my decision.

ItsGavinC said:
If the national average was nearly an 86 this year, then that means there's a huge cluster of schools hovering right there, especially if USC is 5th with an 87.5. There must be 20-30 schools in the 84-87 range.

There is a large cluster of schools at the "average" mark...lending weight to the idea that Baords part I scores really aren't that important in qualifying how good of a dentist a certain program produces. (Typically part II is given more creedence in that regard.)

Anyways, relating back to the OM, I agree with DcS's reply that UNC has been great. I'd start over again in a second if I had to--with the only exceptions being if I'd have to amass 300-400k in debt (as per another current thread) or if it would only lead to doing pedo. :laugh: Faculty are mostly great, pretty much everyone that wants to do a residency of any sort does, extramural rotations are awesome, and you get into preclinical and clinical work during your first year.

I feel this is a great thread and it would be great if more people could contribute... it would really help us pre-dental students out to hear real opinions from dental students who actually attend the school and not from the people who try to sell you the school on interviews. Any commenters on NYU?

nice comments guys. yeah NYU people?

We just had our first test here at UPenn, and the pace has really picked up. There are also some administrative matters that do not thrill me about the school, but I am still pleased that I am here.

Welcome Teethvader, blumnday99, and Johnson. I hope you will continue to find your time at USC enjoyable, actually I am sure you will 95% of the time.

Let me know if i can help you with anything!

Shawn - USC 2008

just started D1 at NYU

great people, great class make up, some really cool professors

crappy elevator wait time, inefficiently-run first class(week long, on technology)

AMAZING NYC. ****ing come here for the once in a life-time experience of being young and in Manhattan. It's worth it.

The first week we had a couple days on fun retreat to some place out in the woods by Mt. Rainier where we did bonding/get to know you type of things. It was a great way to start out, plus they gave us with a healthy supply of beer and wine. We got to know the other 55 students really well in those days.

We just finished our second week of intensive anatomy and embryology of five weeks total. I feel like I have been steamrolled with a massive amount of information...we have class and lab 8:30-4:30 with an hour lunch in the middle and the rest of the night I spend studying for the next quiz and preparing for the next day. Every thursday we can go to a social with the professors with free pizza and beer.

My interactions, so far, with the administration have been pleasant...no complaints. The student services office is more than willing to answer any questions we have and help us with anything.

I am really glad I chose UW, it has been a rough last two weeks with anatomy and all, but I'm loving every minute of it!

Funny how all the 1st years love their school.

As far as BU, great facilities, very student-friendly faculty and the students are not uptight and competitive, for the most part.

I will re-visit this thread during my 3rd year. Thats when my opinion should count.