UMDNJ acceptances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BluesClues32

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard yay or nay from UMDNJ? The admissions office mentioned that they were going to mail final decisions for those who already interviewed. Has anyone received a call or letter yet? I have another interview on Monday and wanted to know about UMDNJ before making transportation arrangements. Thanks! :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Dr. Wallace *usually* calls those who got in once the decisions are made. I heard the decisions would be made this week for those who interviewed up until now. Good luck and if you have any questions feel free to ask!

hey nate, are you a NJ native?

Members don't see this ad :)
i just finished my secondaries.will mail today..along with LOR...wish me luck..i don think ill get in..cuz im not in the northeast region..im in big ole texas. and my stats arent that good. never hurts to try tho

I've been complete since oh say mid-July. I'm thinking that since I'm an out-of-stater I've been pushed to the wayside. I hope to hear something from them soon. Anyone else an non-resident who has applied early on and not heard anything or is there someone out there in SDNland who is a (or was) non-NJ resident who was interviewed and accepted by UMDNJ-SOM?
:confused: :D

fozziewan said:
I've been complete since oh say mid-July. I'm thinking that since I'm an out-of-stater I've been pushed to the wayside. I hope to hear something from them soon. Anyone else an non-resident who has applied early on and not heard anything or is there someone out there in SDNland who is a (or was) non-NJ resident who was interviewed and accepted by UMDNJ-SOM?
:confused: :D

I was interviewed last week as an out-of-stater, but have not heard anything. My application was complete the first week of August and by the end of August they scheduled an interview for me. The committee met on Monday, and the secretary told me that the acceptance letters would be mailed on Tuesday. I haven't received a phone call, so I am assuming I didn't get in (which is a huge bummer because I LOVED the school). :( Hopefully you will have better luck.

Hey everyone, don’t assume you did not get in because you did not get a phone call, I was told today they haven't called anyone yet. In fact, you may just get the big white envelope without a call. I met a bunch of you who interviewed last week and I am excited to see such great people for next year’s class.
About the out-of-state thing, in my class * at least * 50% of the class was from out-of-state. They are all in-state now of course, you can’t beat the tuition. We have three from Texas that I know of in my class, too. We have people from PA, Michigan, Alabama, Maine, DC, NY, CT. IL, FL. Delaware, California, etc. The focus is to train physicians FOR the south jersey area, not just to train physicians FROM the south jersey area. The interview process is very slow and long because they pick through the applications for months and only interview people they really want. However, it is very competitive, only 3% got in last year. Just so you know, if you get an interview your chances are * very * good. I suggest calling the admissions office and letting them know how interested you are, keep your application on top of the pile. Anyway, good luck to everyone interested in UMDNJ. I’m here to answer any questions.

hey nate...lol i was going to put you into my PS in the secondary app for UMDNJ...long story short...when they asked for preparation for medical school..i said that my biggest preparation was reading testimonials from students on the sdn forum online..since you wont be able to find that in any textbook or anything..and that your name came up frequently..when giving students advice regarding UMDNJ...anyway..i decided not to include you in the essay..just lettin you know..you came up in my mind =)

Not to fret...I received my acceptance letter today and did not receive a call. As Nate mentioned, it was in a large white envelope. Good luck everyone! I hope to see you all next year!

Congratulations BluesClues and welcome to the SOM family. It's a long year but you will have the Accepted Student's day in the spring. Feel free to PM me if you need anything or have any questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey bluesclues, congrats! Can I ask when you interviewed, cause I had mine on Tuesday, and I think they met to go over your interviews on Monday. I think I may have to wait like 4-5 weeks for the next time they meet!! I am dying here cause SOM is the only place I applied, its a great place. Well, hopefully I'll know asap so I can stop worrying. Are you planning on going to SOM since you are accepted now?

Thanks everyone! I interviewed on the first day of interviews (September 13) and the committee met the following Monday (September 19). I actually received a paper in my packet about the exact date the committee planned to meet. You should call UMDNJ and ask when the committee will meet next if they didn't already tell you.

I am very interested in UMDNJ (it's an awesome school), but I plan to look at several other osteopathic schools before I commit myself to one program. Good luck!

My file is complete. I spoke to admissions this afternoon and my LORs arrived. Now I have to wait 2-3 weeks for review!!!!! :scared: :eek: :(

I hate this waiting game.

Oops, there go a few more hairs to the floor.

Since there is no question about admissions that Nate cannot answer (apparently), i'll leave that to his expertise. If anyone has questions concerning the learning experience, the area, quality of life, professors, etc... then PM/IM me. Congrats on new acceptances. Cheers

(oh and now that im in med school i have to put a cool signiture type thing after all my messages)
- K (hows that)

I was wondering about the whole out of staters all become instate thing, since I am from Connecticut. It has been mentioned here MANY times but I don't remember anyone talking about stipulations attached in doing so (as with the 5 yr contract from Ohio).

There is no contract or stipulation; if you like south Jersey and the hospitals you stay, if not you go where you want. As for becoming in-state for the purpose of tuition and student status, all that you need to do is show your lease from the apartment you will live in when you are here and your NJ driver's license and you will be considered in-state for the purpose of tuition. These are both easily obtained before classes start.
Kevbot is definitely the person to talk to regarding the area since I am from north Jersey.
BluesClues if you interviewed the first day then you have my number since I was your tour guide; give me a call if you ever have a question.
Good luck all

Nate said:
There is no contract or stipulation; if you like south Jersey and the hospitals you stay, if not you go where you want. As for becoming in-state for the purpose of tuition and student status, all that you need to do is show your lease from the apartment you will live in when you are here and your NJ driver's license and you will be considered in-state for the purpose of tuition. These are both easily obtained before classes start.
Kevbot is definitely the person to talk to regarding the area since I am from north Jersey.
BluesClues if you interviewed the first day then you have my number since I was your tour guide; give me a call if you ever have a question.
Good luck all

For all those people who are NOT from NJ. Be aware that getting your NJ driver's license is NO LONGER just going to the DMV and showing your old license.

There is a point system. You MUST provide proof of identification. For those ladies that are married and have changed their names to their husbands name, listen very carefully and do the following.

1) Obtain your birth certificate and bring it to DMV
2) Obtain your marriage license and bring it to DMV
3) Make sure that the proof that you bring also contains YOUR name and address not just your husband's
4) To ensure that you have the proper material go to the web site,
http://www.nj.gov/mvc/ and make a checklist.

If you do not do what the checklist says you will be in for a major headache and multiple trips and lots of standing in line.

By the way, I am also from North Jersey. Nate, is it true that, you know, people from the "609" area code are just a little different? :)

Actually, the area code here is 856. People don't really tailgate or cut other's off... in fact people actually let you out when you're coming out of the Wawa parking lot... I haven't heard a horn blown in anger in so long... it's scary, very scary.

i'm a 201! yayyy NJ!! :)

nate which campus of UMDNJ is the DO campus on?

supersash said:
i'm a 201! yayyy NJ!! :)

nate which campus of UMDNJ is the DO campus on?

Stratford

Hey, maybe one of you current students can help me out. I looked through SOM's website and found some good stuff on the curriculum, but I'm looking for some more info. How much do students there get involved in research? What's the earliest clinical experiences that students get (i.e., when do students start practicing w/ patients)? What's the atmosphere there re: competitiveness, availability of faculty for help, etc.? Thanks!

Research: We have a couple people in the DO/PhD program per year but that is a very competitive program to get in to (paying for your 7+ years of education plus stipends is a huge financial commitment for any lab). Having said that and outside of the formal PhD joint program: I worked in a research lab with UMDNJ for 4 years prior to becoming a student and like most universities, especially state public universities, research is huge here. The opportunities are endless but I have already approached three professors since I began classes a few months ago and they were all receptive to me taking on a project. I feel like a kid in the candy shop with a stomach-ache though. I mean that there is just so much to do between research, clinical shadowing, clubs and activities, working-out, and of course the endless studying that needs to get done. Basically, it comes down to your commitment because the opportunities are here for sure. There is also a summer research program where you get a 2000 dollar stipend for doing 5 weeks of research between your first and second years. We have off from mid-May until August so there is still plenty of time to do some shadowing and vacationing aside from the research. UMDNJ is #1 in NIH funding and grants among DO schools so really, this is THE school for doing that.

Clinical experiences: Again, here it is up to you how much you do. As for what you have to do, there is a clinical preceptor program. The first year you are required to put in 30 hours, which isn’t much but that is the minimum. I am not sure how many hours the second year requires. This is part of your community medicine grade and you are matched to a primary care doc who will be your preceptor for both pre-clinical years and you can also choose to stay with him/her for your family medicine clerkships in the clinical years. Apart from that, you can get involved with shadowing surgeons, internal med docs at the hospital we have right on campus, and ER docs, etc. For those, you basically join the prospective club and get involved with their shadowing programs or you can just approach the faculty on your own and ask to shadow and in my experience they are very receptive to that and encourage it. In my 2 or so months here I have already been to the OR for a day to shadow a surgeon, spent 2 days with my preceptor taking patient histories, and went to a county fair where I did blood pressure and sugar screenings. We also have a high tech standardized patient lab which is used for that same clinical medicine course and is also used as a training tool for the students preparing for the standardized patient part of the COMLEX/USMLE. Even the residents use it here for their training purposes.

Atmosphere: We are a big family. Period. That says it all. I was sick with a bad cold last week and skipped a couple days of classes and man did people miss me and offer to get me notes or catch me up. The email is always full of people’s notes or study sheets or websites to help each other out. We are a small class and everyone gets to know you real fast. Our deans and professors are very accessible and wander the halls; it is just a great atmosphere. We do have grades, honors, high pass, pass, fail, but our rank is never shown to us and the classes are not curved, you get what you earn.

Any other questions feel free to ask.
~Nate

nate - did u apply as a NJ resident? if u dont mind my asking, what were your stats? i'm a jersey girl, and umdnj-som is obviously on my list, and your post just made me more excited about it. (i'm in north jersey, so NYCOM is a bit closer, i do want to stay relatively close to home).

thanks for all your info

sasha

Nate said:
Research: We have a couple people in the DO/PhD program per year but that is a very competitive program to get in to (paying for your 7+ years of education plus stipends is a huge financial commitment for any lab). Having said that and outside of the formal PhD joint program: I worked in a research lab with UMDNJ for 4 years prior to becoming a student and like most universities, especially state public universities, research is huge here. The opportunities are endless but I have already approached three professors since I began classes a few months ago and they were all receptive to me taking on a project. I feel like a kid in the candy shop with a stomach-ache though. I mean that there is just so much to do between research, clinical shadowing, clubs and activities, working-out, and of course the endless studying that needs to get done. Basically, it comes down to your commitment because the opportunities are here for sure. There is also a summer research program where you get a 2000 dollar stipend for doing 5 weeks of research between your first and second years. We have off from mid-May until August so there is still plenty of time to do some shadowing and vacationing aside from the research. UMDNJ is #1 in NIH funding and grants among DO schools so really, this is THE school for doing that.

Clinical experiences: Again, here it is up to you how much you do. As for what you have to do, there is a clinical preceptor program. The first year you are required to put in 30 hours, which isn’t much but that is the minimum. I am not sure how many hours the second year requires. This is part of your community medicine grade and you are matched to a primary care doc who will be your preceptor for both pre-clinical years and you can also choose to stay with him/her for your family medicine clerkships in the clinical years. Apart from that, you can get involved with shadowing surgeons, internal med docs at the hospital we have right on campus, and ER docs, etc. For those, you basically join the prospective club and get involved with their shadowing programs or you can just approach the faculty on your own and ask to shadow and in my experience they are very receptive to that and encourage it. In my 2 or so months here I have already been to the OR for a day to shadow a surgeon, spent 2 days with my preceptor taking patient histories, and went to a county fair where I did blood pressure and sugar screenings. We also have a high tech standardized patient lab which is used for that same clinical medicine course and is also used as a training tool for the students preparing for the standardized patient part of the COMLEX/USMLE. Even the residents use it here for their training purposes.

Atmosphere: We are a big family. Period. That says it all. I was sick with a bad cold last week and skipped a couple days of classes and man did people miss me and offer to get me notes or catch me up. The email is always full of people’s notes or study sheets or websites to help each other out. We are a small class and everyone gets to know you real fast. Our deans and professors are very accessible and wander the halls; it is just a great atmosphere. We do have grades, honors, high pass, pass, fail, but our rank is never shown to us and the classes are not curved, you get what you earn.

Any other questions feel free to ask.
~Nate

I did apply as a NJ resident but at least half of my class is from out-of-state. My stats were 3.25 GPA with a 28 MCAT ( 8,12,8 ) and a few years of research, clinical stuff, work experience, the usual. It really is irrelevant since we all have our own story to tell.

Nate said:
I did apply as a NJ resident but at least half of my class is from out-of-state. My stats were 3.25 GPA with a 28 MCAT ( 8,12,8 ) and a few years of research, clinical stuff, work experience, the usual. It really is irrelevant since we all have our own story to tell.

Nate,

Are you having exams around the 14th?

Just read the thread, I personally am a huge fan of the school, and it is my top choice (plus I live close by so it makes it all the easier). I may sound a bit eager but I actually apply in the 2006 cycle, quite excited. Only issue I have is that I feel I am not that competitive so I was just wondering about the average stats at the school, and since Nate is an expert, any numbers, or tips to stand out, would be great. Good luck to rest of you all.

hey stealth - i'll be applying in 2006 as well, i'm from jersey, but not from south jersey. are you applying to NYCOM or PCOM as well? nice to hear from a fellow jersey person, seems like most people on here apply to schools far from here that i am not interested in :)

sasha

In all likelyhood I'll apply to both, but like i said, the process seems quite unpredictable and personally I feel like I lack the "competitive" edge, what ever that is.

Stats... Well they say you need at the very least a 3.0 to be competitive and probably an MCAT of 25 or higher with one or the other much higher than that. However, that is just the beginning. Your essay, LORs, experiences clinical and life, and of course research doesn't hurt. I suggest getting a really strong LOR from a DO, it isn't required but I feel the old saying "it isn't what you know it's who you know" ALWAYS has some value. Concentrate on what you can control, if your GPA is a bit low than work the MCAT, if you can't get the MCAT up then retake a few classes. If you’re GPA or MCAT are just too low then take a year or two to fix them, many people have to do this. Get out there and volunteer in an ER, sure everyone does it but does everyone break their ass in that ER to help out the staff? No, many people just show up so they can put down on their application that they did it. If you make the ER nurses happy they will tell the docs and the docs will take notice of you and before you know it you have a kick-ass LOR. Don't be afraid to get down and dirty, push stretchers, restock shelves, fill blanket warmers, work independently to whatever extent you are allowed. Things like this are what you need to do.
This is not the definitive guide so be creative but hopefully you get the idea. But lastly, you are your worst critic. You may be in better shape than you think so do what you can to prepare and then go for it in 2006. If you want more specific advice feel free to pm me.
Good luck

next committee meeting at umdnj som is oct 17 (this coming monday). correspondence should be sent out within a week. that is what shambra said when i interviewed. good luck everyone!!

next committee meeting at umdnj som is oct 17 (this coming monday). correspondence should be sent out within a week. that is what shambra said when i interviewed. good luck everyone!!

nate, or anyone out there who might know... i heard dr wallace wasnt calling people this year about their acceptances so we have to wait for the letters, you think they will let us know our "status" if we call on tuesday the 18th or something?

Jerseygrrl4 said:
nate, or anyone out there who might know... i heard dr wallace wasnt calling people this year about their acceptances so we have to wait for the letters, you think they will let us know our "status" if we call on tuesday the 18th or something?
Call at any point after the admissions commitee meets. I doubt they'll revoke you because you're curious about your status.

FYI, I called last month about my application status (and emailed UMDNJ as well) and no one would tell me the decision of the committee.:rolleyes: I had an interview at VCOM one week after the committee members made their final decision. UMDNJ still refused to give me info over the phone or via email. Luckily, I got my acceptance in the mail 1 day before my VCOM interview. :D Unfortunately, it was on a Saturday and I had to call VCOM early Monday morning (my scheduled interview day) to cancel my interview. :( Hopefully you won't be in the same situation.

thanks for the info, things were different last year. maybe they had problems, oh well. i shall play the waiting game then!