MPH Without Experiance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greaper

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Friends,
Am new to SDN, would be glad if someone would help me with the list of universities offering MPH for people without work experiance.
Though i am a doctor from India, with already one year experiance and waiting for the other year to complete. This list would be helpful as i am planning to give it a little early. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I think probably all programs would consider your application, assuming you meet their other qualifying criteria.

If you are a doctor, your doctoral degree and subsequent year of work will generally be considered sufficient "experience". Only the most selective, such as Harvard and Johns Hopkins, might require additional experience for your application to be competitive, although even those schools may feel your background is sufficient at least for consideration. Schools tend to be much more particular about "experience" if you do not already have a medical degree. If you are still a medical student, and have not yet received the degree, you may still be considered; there are many programs that will accept medical students who are taking a year off to study public health.

Hope this helps.

namazu said:
..."experience"..."experience"..
:laugh: :laugh: :thumbup: ;)
greaper said:
dude, you are killing me here! :smuggrin: :smuggrin:
i'm just kidding :)
seriously, use the search function and then feel free to ask any further doubts..
Good Luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry uhoh,
But i searched for a list of MPH offering colleges who don't require experiance but could not get such a list of colleges, that is why i asked here. If its too much for you to answer, i never forced you to answer, did i specifically ask for your help????!! i don't think so. Anybody who wants to help is welcome. You are just implying yourself on everybody who posts here, is this some kind of your private post. If it is then i am sorry, i do't have any plans to kill anyone with my queries. Just have an idea to do public health and save lives!!!!!!!!!!

greaper said:
Sorry uhoh,
But i searched for a list of MPH offering colleges who don't require experiance but could not get such a list of colleges, that is why i asked here. If its too much for you to answer, i never forced you to answer, did i specifically ask for your help??..Anybody who wants to help is welcome. You are just implying yourself on everybody who posts here, is this some kind of your private post.
easy there, big fella... :D
i wasn't trying to "impose" myself on you, or anybody else who posts here, as you were "implying" in your post. you are absolutely correct in recognizing this as not being a private forum.

i meant search the forums on sdn for some info..if you noticed, there is a search bar towards the top-right hand part of the sdn pages.that is for searching this particular forum, or all forums on sdn, for a specific key word/phrase. its a great tool, but takes some getting used to. others wiser than i will ever be have posted a lot on the info you are looking for. another Neat-O feature is at the bottom of the page, you can choose to show all threads started since the last year/ since the beginning. :cool:

what i meant was if, after going through the previous posts on this forum, you have specific doubts/questions about XYZ program, then feel free to ask. i am(and most of the sdn posters are) always glad to try helping out. i, unfortunately, have a kinky sense of humor. bear with me.

the list you seek is available on some threads here. i know because i was in a similar predicament when i applied, and used to browse these forums for the answers. unfortunately, i don't know how to create a link to those really informative threads on this post. you may not really find one with a title" MPH and No ExperiEnce". however, there are loads of applicants like you(and me) who wanted to enter Public Health with minimal experience in the field. try looking into "concerned applicant" / "applicant doubts" kind of theads. believe it or not, someone with hardly any experience going into public health is not something unique to you. also, there are a lot of programs, and each has its own definition of experience, and its own criteria for selecting candidates. its not like anyone says "must have served 3 years in the Peace Corps, then 5 in WHO"..all they want to see is if you know what you want to do, and are curious as to why..

you are a doctor...from india. i find it hard to believe you have "no experience" in public health.have you worked in a PHC during your as part of your curriculum/clerkship requiements?

i also suggest you also pay attention to other aspects of your application(like Letters of Reco, GRE, TOEFL, Personal Statement). a lot of people leave these for the last minute and first go about trying to finalize their program list. while selecting the programs is important, those aspects are important as well.

i am sorry if i hurt your oh-so-delicate feelings, but i was just kidding(joking,pulling your leg,having a bit of fun) :) i didn't mean to come across as a meanie! don't be a hater. i am happy that you are going for an MPH, and wish you all the luck.. :luck: again, you don't need my permission to ask doubts. your "queries" themselves don't kill anyone.
by the way, why MPH and why not MS? don't hyperventilate. i'm just curious..
good luck! :luck:

also, namazu: check out "edit" :laugh:

Hey Uhoh!
You failed to notice my sarcastic wit, which i am very famous for(though self praise is no recommendation!!!), but anyways i don't have the oh-so delicate feelings. Just the thing i hate about forums where people like this say to get the answer "somewhere"(the truth is out there!!!).Hey did your teacher ever told you that she has been teaching for the past so many years and repeating the same old stuff and she is tired of it, so you have to get aout there and serach for your own subject and read it through to give exams!!!!!!!!!
if you don't like to rewrite the answer you can always post the link to the page. Or if you don't want to help then atleast let others help. That is just a casual attitude. I am very well aware of all tools that are there in forums and how to do what, its just that after all the researching i could not get any info, hence, asked it here. I never said that i had no experiance, i have already stated in my first post that i already have one year experiance and already into my second year. plus an added one year of internship after my MBBS course. Just wnated to know the list of colleges which provide shelter to people with no experiance as the chances for me getting there is higher.
MPH rather than MS coz in India, MPH is better recognised than MS courses in public health.
uhoh! said:
easy there, big fella... :D
i wasn't trying to "impose" myself on you, or anybody else who posts here, as you were "implying" in your post. you are absolutely correct in recognizing this as not being a private forum.

i meant search the forums on sdn for some info..if you noticed, there is a search bar towards the top-right hand part of the sdn pages.that is for searching this particular forum, or all forums on sdn, for a specific key word/phrase. its a great tool, but takes some getting used to. others wiser than i will ever be have posted a lot on the info you are looking for. another Neat-O feature is at the bottom of the page, you can choose to show all threads started since the last year/ since the beginning. :cool:

what i meant was if, after going through the previous posts on this forum, you have specific doubts/questions about XYZ program, then feel free to ask. i am(and most of the sdn posters are) always glad to try helping out. i, unfortunately, have a kinky sense of humor. bear with me.

the list you seek is available on some threads here. i know because i was in a similar predicament when i applied, and used to browse these forums for the answers. unfortunately, i don't know how to create a link to those really informative threads on this post. you may not really find one with a title" MPH and No ExperiEnce". however, there are loads of applicants like you(and me) who wanted to enter Public Health with minimal experience in the field. try looking into "concerned applicant" / "applicant doubts" kind of theads. believe it or not, someone with hardly any experience going into public health is not something unique to you. also, there are a lot of programs, and each has its own definition of experience, and its own criteria for selecting candidates. its not like anyone says "must have served 3 years in the Peace Corps, then 5 in WHO"..all they want to see is if you know what you want to do, and are curious as to why..

you are a doctor...from india. i find it hard to believe you have "no experience" in public health.have you worked in a PHC during your as part of your curriculum/clerkship requiements?

i also suggest you also pay attention to other aspects of your application(like Letters of Reco, GRE, TOEFL, Personal Statement). a lot of people leave these for the last minute and first go about trying to finalize their program list. while selecting the programs is important, those aspects are important as well.

i am sorry if i hurt your oh-so-delicate feelings, but i was just kidding(joking,pulling your leg,having a bit of fun) :) i didn't mean to come across as a meanie! don't be a hater. i am happy that you are going for an MPH, and wish you all the luck.. :luck: again, you don't need my permission to ask doubts. your "queries" themselves don't kill anyone.
by the way, why MPH and why not MS? don't hyperventilate. i'm just curious..
good luck! :luck:

also, namazu: check out "edit" :laugh:

greaper said:
..if you don't want to help..
several points:
1) i come in peace :)
2) i am sorry for being lazy/casual. however, in my defence, i haven't prevented anyone else from posting. :p
3) the thread is titled "MPH without experience". hence my assumption that you feel what you are gaining is not quite adequate experience in public health. while this is a mistake in my understanding, i trust it is excusable. also, try to impress Public Health profs now and in your "internship" to get great Letters of Recommendation...it is really helpful, esp if one of them is well known internationally.
4) almost all programs consider doctors in general as having adequate experience in public health. i seriously cannot think of a program which expects incoming graduates into MPH to have more experience than what you will surely gain as part of your MBBS. like i said, they are looking to see if this is a logical next step for your career plans. maybe PhDs need to have done even more work in the field they are looking to enter, but usually not so for the MPH.
5) life in general, and graduate school in particular, have made me more self-reliant. while no teacher of mine actually told me to go study myself, i found that more often than not, i have to "go out there, search for my subject, read it through to give exams". i don't know if this is because i am casual/lazy, or if my teachers were not interested enough in teaching..
6) i'm not dissin'(disrespecting) you, so ease off the "Bezerker" mode, dude! sorry if my attempts to help appear lame to you.
and yes...the truth IS out there :D
peace out! :luck:

uhoh! said:
several points:
1) peace :)
2) i am sorry for being lazy/casual. however, in my defence, i haven't prevented anyone else from posting. :p
3) the thread is titled "MPH without experience". hence my assumption that you feel what you are gaining is not quite adequate experience in public health. while this is a mistake in my understanding, i trust it is excusable. also, try to impress Public Health profs now and in your "internship" to get great Letters of Recommendation...it is really helpful, esp if one of them is well known internationally.
4) almost all programs consider doctors in general as having adequate experience in public health. i seriously cannot think of a program which expects incoming graduates into MPH to have more experience than what you will surely gain as part of your MBBS. like i said, they are looking to see if this is a logical next step for your career plans. maybe PhDs need to have done even more work in the field they are looking to enter, but usually not so for the MPH.
5) life in general, and graduate school in particular, have made me more self-reliant. while no teacher of mine actually told me to go study myself, i found that more often than not, i have to "go out there, search for my subject, read it through to give exams". i don't know if this is because i am casual/lazy, or if my teachers were not interested enough in teaching..
6) i'm not dissin'(disrespecting) you, so ease off the "Bezerker" mode, dude! sorry if my attempts to help appear lame to you.
and yes...the truth IS out there :D
peace out! :luck:
Hey dude sorry for the arrogant tone to my conversation. Well we both have been riding enough on high horses and its time to come down to ground. Peace, be it!!
Though i have done plenty of research on the MPH, GRE and TOEFL aspect already and have plenty of knowledge in it, i was just falling short in some of the information which i wanted cleared out. that is the reason why i want such a list, could you please help by telling the links where i could get information? or can you take time out to post the message again.
Your or any other persons views and help are more than welcome.
Regards,
Greaper

greaper said:
...Well we both have been riding enough on high horses and its time to come down to ground. Peace, be it!!
thank goodness we got that out of the way! i was beginning to feel you didn't like me! ;)
anyhow, i dug back, and came up with some threads. the only way i could figure how to post a link was to copy it onto notepad, then try copying it on here. if somebody knows an easier way, please help me!!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=237765

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=241313

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=243451

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=244107

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=218126

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=207275

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=203127

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=163601

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=163430

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=146345

and these were just in the last 1 year or so!

greaper, there are a few things you should have clear when you are looking for advice, and are finally selecting your school..starting with:
1) which field of public health are you considering doing your MPH in?
2) are there any constraints regarding geography/tuition/school's reputation?

this is because:
1) public health has a WHOLE bunch of sub-specializations as i am sure you are fully aware. the MPH is not a field by itself, rather it is a degree within a particular field. i mean epidemiology, biostatistics, community health, international health etc. when i said look into the past forums, i didn't mean to sound condescending. i meant you might get a better idea about which field suits you. every school is good in some areas, and not-so-hot in others. where you are considering going to is also affected by this, because if you are trying to get into a hot branch in a hot school, things get tougher than even a cool branch in that same school. {as an analogy, in india, which IIT is the best? all are not good for everything. Kanpur is the best for Comp Engg, Delhi for Chemical Engg, Kharagpur Electrical, Powai for Mechanical etc.(this is an example only, so don't lets go off on a tangent)..but all are overall good..still, it might be easier to get Comp Engg in IIT Guwahati than Kanpur} hence, being a bit more specific about what you intend to do an MPH in makes it easier for me to try helping you/provide you the sort of info you are looking for.
(for the non-indians: sorry for the very regional example, but that is what i guess greaper will most likely relate to.)

2) a lot of schools have seperate threads regarding specific programs within them here. that means not only are those threads specific to a school, they are specific to a particular field within that school(Eg: JH-Intl Hlth) hence, it is difficult to post links which are as broad based as you are looking for.

once again, i am not being condescending. i am genuinely trying to help. also, like i said, there are LOADS of people on sdn who know waaaay more than me. i cannot just re-type what they said. it has to be read in context. hence my asking you to look at past threads..
hope this info is kind of what you are looking for.
:luck: :luck:

Note to Self: find better things to do on a Sunday!

Indeed thanks to you man, for searching through the graveyard of messages for getting me the right info. Though now i feel guilty to have wasted your sunday!!! But atleast i don't hate you anymore!!!
Yes i very well get your IIT example. Sorry for not telling you the concentration of MPH i was interested in, well i am all out for "Internation Health".
And no there are just about no constraints about geography. But a tuition waiver and a top 10-15 school would be what i am looking at.
Well thank you very much for taking your time out to help, would be really frateful if you guide me on this.
Well i plan to give my GRE and TOEFL in 2006 but want to only apply in 2007 session. That is when i have about two years of work experiance along with a year of medical internship too. Hoping for a decent GRE and good recos.
Thanks friend for all your help. One personal question: are you an indian, as you came up with such a example, which made me think that way!!!

uhoh! said:
thank goodness we got that out of the way! i was beginning to feel you didn't like me! ;)
anyhow, i dug back, and came up with some threads. the only way i could figure how to post a link was to copy it onto notepad, then try copying it on here. if somebody knows an easier way, please help me!!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=237765

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=241313

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=243451

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=244107

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=218126

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=207275

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=203127

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=163601

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=163430

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=146345

and these were just in the last 1 year or so!

greaper, there are a few things you should have clear when you are looking for advice, and are finally selecting your school..starting with:
1) which field of public health are you considering doing your MPH in?
2) are there any constraints regarding geography/tuition/school's reputation?

this is because:
1) public health has a WHOLE bunch of sub-specializations as i am sure you are fully aware. the MPH is not a field by itself, rather it is a degree within a particular field. i mean epidemiology, biostatistics, community health, international health etc. when i said look into the past forums, i didn't mean to sound condescending. i meant you might get a better idea about which field suits you. every school is good in some areas, and not-so-hot in others. where you are considering going to is also affected by this, because if you are trying to get into a hot branch in a hot school, things get tougher than even a cool branch in that same school. {as an analogy, in india, which IIT is the best? all are not good for everything. Kanpur is the best for Comp Engg, Delhi for Chemical Engg, Kharagpur Electrical, Powai for Mechanical etc.(this is an example only, so don't lets go off on a tangent)..but all are overall good..still, it might be easier to get Comp Engg in IIT Guwahati than Kanpur} hence, being a bit more specific about what you intend to do an MPH in makes it easier for me to try helping you/provide you the sort of info you are looking for.
(for the non-indians: sorry for the very regional example, but that is what i guess greaper will most likely relate to.)

2) a lot of schools have seperate threads regarding specific programs within them here. that means not only are those threads specific to school, they are specific to a particular field within that school(Eg: JH-Intl Hlth) hence, it is difficult to post links which are as broad based as you are looking for.

once again, i am not being condescending. i am genuinely trying to help. also, like i said, there are LOADS of people on sdn who know waaaay more than me. i cannot just re-type what they said. it has to be read in context. hence my asking you to look at past threads..
hope this info is kind of what you are looking for.
:luck: :luck:

Note to Self: find better things to do on a Sunday!

greaper said:
But atleast i don't hate you anymore!!!
oh! the joy :rolleyes:
i am all out for "Internation Health"
hmmm...InternationAL health. mind if i ask why? again, i'm only curious..
a tuition waiver and a top 10-15 school would be what i am looking at
you and the rest of the applicants! anything else? how about a joining bonus of a laptop, free housing, and a car? :p again, i'm just kidding..
first off, if you read through the links i posted, the consensus is that there are no "Top 15" programs.
secondly, don't expect a tuition waiver form a "top 15" school. they have several good applicants, which means they aren't exactly going to fall over themselves to try getting you to go there. maybe after the First semester/year you could probably get an assistantship, and a waiver to go along with it. totally new students get waivers only if the school they are going to thinks they are really good candidates and wants to attract them there. this is usually in smaller schools as the big, established place have no derth of highly qualified applicants.
One personal question: are you an indian, as you came up with such a example, which made me think that way!!!
as per usual, several points:
1) i might or might not be. it shouldn't make a difference..lets just say i have quite a few friends from india, and we spent several long, drunk hours together..

2) glad you found those links useful. i got them off this very forum, using the very same search tools i asked you to use(and you ripped me a new one about)..you said you couldn't find anything useful after "searching" past threads, while that is exactly where i pulled out those from...i no longer think i should believe what you say, as i can't be sure if you are telling the truth.
further, i still resent the "lazy/casual attitude" statement you made, especially since all you have done so far is jerk me around, not done any of the spadework suggested, and instead got all hot and bothered over a perceived insult.

3) as for feeling sorry for wasting my Sunday, that's not the only thing you should be sorry about.. :rolleyes: i am a sentimental old fool who likes helping out as far as i can. glad to share what i know to make life easier for others.

4) please crop what you quote in your replies. not doing so makes going through this thread a pain in the @$$ for anyone except you, which i think is somewhat inconsiderate.

hope this helps.