DO Students' Ethical Behaviour/Standard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docbill

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to see DO students' (and DO Applicants) following some mature Ethical Behaviour/Standard.

Here are some things, feel free to add more and to re-arrange. If you are going to be stupid then don't bother answering. EVentually, we should put our names and agree to follow such standard.

1- Don't be so defensive.
2- Don't attack other professions (MD, DDS, DPM, DC, etc..).
3- Don't think so little of yourself.
4- Don't respond emotionally, instead explain.
5- Don't make a big issue out of little differences

6- Be on your best behaviour
7- Accept the differences and the many similarities
8-

Members don't see this ad.

docbill said:
I would like to see DO students' (and DO Applicants) following some mature Ethical Behaviour/Standard.

Here are some things, feel free to add more and to re-arrange. If you are going to be stupid then don't bother answering. EVentually, we should put our names and agree to follow such standard.

8-

8- Don't attack/flame fellow students
9- Don't attack new posters that ask questions that seem obvious

docbill said:

8-

I would like to see my own leadership groups demonstrate these behaviors, personally.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you trying to say that all of us here on the DO forums aren't ethical? You must think we're as dumb as all those mds out there who aren't learning to treat the whole patient but are real doctors like I will never be because I'll be a DO. You get me so pissed off, acting all like you're better than me just because you have over 1000 posts. I'm now going to put your e-mail address on penis extension spam lists, as well as all the mds who post in our forums.

-Bill Brasky
"Third: Did you know Bill Brasky is the godfather of my son?
Fourth: Bill Brasky?
First: He's a big fella!
Second: Oh yeah, he's a big guy! Goes about 6'7", 385.
Third: Well, anyway.. he shows up at the church in his golf pants, caked in mud. Well, ol' Bill Brasky pushes the priest aside and says, "I'll baptize that piece of calamari!" Then he pours Scotch all over my baby son and says, "There! You're baptized!"
Fourth: And your son is blind to this day!
First: Yeah, he makes brooms somewhere in Georgia, doesn't he?
Third: I have no idea. [ pause ] To Bill Brasky!
Together: Bill Brasky!!"

:laugh:
Bill_Brasky said:
I'm now going to put your e-mail address on penis extension spam lists

whoa..thats harsh! :eek:

docbill said:

8-

10- Don't put my email on penis inlarging website. Even though I may need it, DON'T.

docbill said:

8-

Okay Stuart Smalley ;)

I will bump this... simply because I am sick of seeing these...

Can DO do this...
Another example of DO discrimination...
A runner told me today...
My mom told me today...
_____ pissed me off.. cause.. DO not real...

It is widely known that there is a stigma about Osteopathic medicine being "not as good" or that is has "lower quality physicians" than allopathic medicine. This view is held by some people, allopaths and osteopaths, and others. I sometimes hear people make jokes with a message of DO's not being "real doctors" or I'm not going to a "real medical school" or "what do I know, I'm just a DO". These are jokes or offhand remarks designed to get humor out of the stigma that Osteopathic medicine is sometimes perceived as inferior, or easier, or whatever.

I think that these types of "jokes" should not be told by osteopaths and should not be accepted as humor when told by people not in the profession.
The OP said we should not "Think so little of ourselves". He/She is absolutely right. Having self-respect is a necessity if you expect respect from others.

Support arguments with evidence. Failure to do so makes you look like an idiot.

i don't really care. it is fun to mock others and ourselves. that is what makes us competitive and drives excellence. also, it's funny, at least to me, when people start flaming others. i know, i know, it violates the TOS. ok ok. sheesh. plz don't PM tell me that.

In others news, a sdn mod finally got fed up with moderating new 'md v do' threads that he tracked the OP ip address and traced it to the OP's home. Then, he went to pay a little visit to the OP, kicking his #@% and yelling "use the freaking search button or at least LOOK at the @$%^ sticky!!!!". --(Associated Press)

heyjack70 said:
It is widely known that there is a stigma about Osteopathic medicine being "not as good" or that is has "lower quality physicians" than allopathic medicine. This view is held by some people, allopaths and osteopaths, and others.

I love anyone who says "widely known" because they don't have the stats to back it up. Actually, according to Deadman et al. (1975) there are only 3 people living in Utah who have intimate knowledge of MD vs DO qualifications. A small number (93%) of mid-westerners have ever seen a DO and only 1 in 5 live on a street that faces a major highway. Scarem and Laughin (2012) concur with the above, noting that an increase in systolic blood pressure frequently (0.012%) occurs on every other Wednesday where large samples (n <2) are involved and is inversely proportional to the inviduals IQ after subtracting their golf handicap multiplied by the average cost of a soda in central Bangladesh. Further, Lipless and Stutterin (1492) add that sea voyages really suck without some form of citrus, and question the effectiveness of contraception within 50 miles of Las Vegas, but they do like DOs.

heyjack70 said:
It is widely known that there is a stigma about Osteopathic medicine being "not as good" or that is has "lower quality physicians" than allopathic medicine. This view is held by some people, allopaths and osteopaths, and others. I sometimes hear people make jokes with a message of DO's not being "real doctors" or I'm not going to a "real medical school" or "what do I know, I'm just a DO". These are jokes or offhand remarks designed to get humor out of the stigma that Osteopathic medicine is sometimes perceived as inferior, or easier, or whatever.

I think that these types of "jokes" should not be told by osteopaths and should not be accepted as humor when told by people not in the profession.
The OP said we should not "Think so little of ourselves". He/She is absolutely right. Having self-respect is a necessity if you expect respect from others.

Also, don't be as uptight as heyjack70.

scpod said:
I love anyone who says "widely known" because they don't have the stats to back it up. Actually, according to Deadman et al. (1975) there are only 3 people living in Utah who have intimate knowledge of MD vs DO qualifications. A small number (93%) of mid-westerners have ever seen a DO and only 1 in 5 live on a street that faces a major highway. Scarem and Laughin (2012) concur with the above, noting that an increase in systolic blood pressure frequently (0.012%) occurs on every other Wednesday where large samples (n <2) are involved and is inversely proportional to the inviduals IQ after subtracting their golf handicap multiplied by the average cost of a soda in central Bangladesh. Further, Lipless and Stutterin (1492) add that sea voyages really suck without some form of citrus, and question the effectiveness of contraception within 50 miles of Las Vegas, but they do like DOs.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: