UMDNJ Controversy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

(nicedream)

Fitter Happier
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the AOA blog dated April 5th, John Crosby wrote:

"At the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey School of Osteopathic Medicine (UMDNJ-SOM), where controversy has erupted, Thomas Cavalieri, DO, has been named the Interim Dean."

What happened?

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to NJ :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
we're basically getting run through the crapper because we're "connected" to Newark and Robert-Wood Johnson. I assure you all the stuff that was going on here pales in comparison to what was going on up north. (if you want to read some good dirt read about what was going on at those schools).

Corzine is a tool and wants to look like he's doing something - politics kids, politics

-J

by the way, the link above is related to Newark/RWJ NOT UMDNJ-SOM, that crap wasn't going on down here

DOctorJay said:
Corzine is a tool and wants to look like he's doing something - politics kids, politics

If anyone is to blame, it's McGreevey. From 12/19/04 The Record:

McGreevey's timing was crucial at UMDNJ and Ramapo, as both embarked on presidential searches last year.

At the medical school, McGreevey appointee John J. Petillo made the transition from board chairman to interim president to permanent president in all of six months. Now the nation's largest health sciences university has a president who lacks a medical degree. Petillo ran Seton Hall University before leaving the priesthood and marrying, then ran health insurer Blue Cross-Blue Shield, and finally a redevelopment alliance in Newark.

At UMDNJ, Petillo wasted no time in filling key six-figure jobs and letting construction contracts. His salary is $575,000. The university has an annual budget of $1.5 billion and campuses and affiliates statewide.

----

Petillo's appointment immediately raised eyebrows bc of all the crap that went down at BCBS in the 90s. If McGreevey's going to appoint mob bosses to run medical schools, then what choice does Corzine have but to clean up after him? :D

DOctorJay said:
we're basically getting run through the crapper because we're "connected" to Newark and Robert-Wood Johnson. I assure you all the stuff that was going on here pales in comparison to what was going on up north. (if you want to read some good dirt read about what was going on at those schools).

I agree, double billing Medicaid is far worse. But SOM wasn't "clean" - from the AP on 3/31:

Two top officials at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey have resigned just as a new report alleging misappropriation of hundreds of thousands of dollars is set to be released.

The 110-page report by the federal monitor now overseeing the beleaguered institution led the university's president to request the resignations of a dean and a senior vice president, The Star-Ledger of Newark, citing unnamed sources, reported for Friday's newspapers.

R. Michael Gallagher, dean of the university's School of Osteopathic Medicine in Stratford, submitted his resignation Wednesday. It will become effective on April 30. Robert Saporito, the university's senior vice president for academic affairs, also submitted his resignation Wednesday. It became effective Friday.

In a brief statement, Bruce C. Vladeck, the university's interim president, confirmed he accepted Saporito's resignation. Vladeck said Gallagher had resigned as dean "due to philosophical differences over the direction of the school."

UMDNJ has been under scrutiny amid an investigation into alleged Medicare and Medicaid fraud. Trustees in December agreed to appoint a federal monitor to oversee its finances after U.S. Attorney Christopher Christie threatened to indict the university if it did not.

Vladeck told the newspaper he expects "more changes will occur in the management structure of this university in the coming months so that we may more effectively fulfill our mission."

Citing "sources with direct knowledge of the monitor's investigation," the newspaper said the report, which was submitted to the U.S. Attorney's office Thursday, will show evidence of improper use of the dean's discretionary account, the purchase of Christmas gifts for staff with university funds, and other abuses.

The report also asserts Gallagher had his university driver run personal errands for him and his wife, including driving her to hair salon appointments.

The report is to be released by the monitor on Monday, according to Michael Drewniak, a spokesman for the U.S. Attorney.

Contacted by the newspaper Thursday afternoon, Gallagher confirmed he had resigned, but promised he will return to the university's faculty.

"There are personal reasons," Gallagher said. "Really, I don't choose to go into them."

Saporito told the newspaper he had considered resigning more than a year ago after former university president Stuart Cook left.

"I think the timing is appropriate now," Saporito said. "Bruce (Vladeck) is going to reorganize and probably reshape the administration. And this provides him a clear and simple opportunity to do so."

Information from: The Star-Ledger, http://www.nj.com/starledger

DOctorJay said:

I don't mean to jump all over you, I really don't :D It's just that I've spent the last 3 years researching BCBSNJ so I've been following Petillo from BC to UMDNJ. I'm also bored at work.
Corzine doesn't install the interim president - he only makes a recommendation to the Board, which can choose to accept or decline. Vladeck is a professor of health care policy and geriatrics and directed Medicaid and Medicare as part of HCFA (now CMMS) from 93 - 97. Unquestionably more qualified than Petillo.

nvshelat said:
I don't mean to jump all over you, I really don't :D It's just that I've spent the last 3 years researching BCBSNJ so I've been following Petillo from BC to UMDNJ. I'm also bored at work.
Corzine doesn't install the interim president - he only makes a recommendation to the Board, which can choose to accept or decline. Vladeck is a professor of health care policy and geriatrics and directed Medicaid and Medicare as part of HCFA (now CMMS) from 93 - 97. Unquestionably more qualified than Petillo.

Bruce Vladek is extremely qualified. I was lucky enough to be able to talk to him regarding a path as a MD or DO. I want to do health policy and he says to the policy makes DO or MD makes no difference. However, he said I would face discrimination from some of the MDs that have graduated at top universities. So he recommended I go MD, which I may. I still havn't made that decision yet.

USArmyDoc said:
Bruce Vladek is extremely qualified. I was lucky enough to be able to talk to him regarding a path as a MD or DO. I want to do health policy and he says to the policy makes DO or MD makes no difference. However, he said I would face discrimination from some of the MDs that have graduated at top universities. So he recommended I go MD, which I may. I still havn't made that decision yet.

From what I know (disclaimer: that isn't much) it seems as though the researchers here at CHOP (Children's Hospital of Philadelphia) don't judge each other on MD or DO, but rather the quality of the research they do. There are several DOs here that do research as well; we have an ID fellow doing health policy/epi research. Researchers here bash other researchers for poor research methodology, not their medical degree. So I would venture to say he is wrong and that at top universities, they judge you on your research skills, not on your medical degree (bc then, logically, these researchers would be bashing MDs who went to lower tier MD schools; but I never see that. Ive never seen a doc say, well thats a poor study, it's probably bc he went to a crappy medical school).

SOM wasn't clean???

you realize that what happened here at SOM was that our Dean (who had a driver like all the other deans of UMDNJ) had his wife taken to a hair salon and bought Christmas presents for staff (which consisted of UMDNJ neck ties and book ends from what I've heard).

If you don't think this type of stuff goes on at EVERY school then you're just not being honest with yourself. To rank SOM up there with outright medicaid fraud is a bit sensationalistic don't you think? And I'm not saying that you think this, just that it's funny how the media jumps all over any "story" they can.

Corzine gets to look like he cleaned something up by replacing all the Deans and start with a new slate (do you know who gets to appoint the board members??? would you go against his recommendation if he got to choose who sits on the board?). Hmmm this might just sound good come election time. There are a couple other issues that play into this for Corzine that you may or may not realize also but you can PM me about that if you'd like.

What concerns me most is that Dr. Gallagher had big plans to expand SOM and continue in its mission of excellence, apparently Newark didn't like that. He fought harder for our school than anyone.

DOctorJay said:
SOM wasn't clean???

you realize that what happened here at SOM was that our Dean (who had a driver like all the other deans of UMDNJ) had his wife taken to a hair salon and bought Christmas presents for staff (which consisted of UMDNJ neck ties and book ends from what I've heard).

Using an expense account for personal purposes isn't being clean, it's being dirty. I agree, it's not equivalent to double billing, but it's inappropriate use of taxpayer dollars.

DOctorJay said:
If you don't think this type of stuff goes on at EVERY school then you're just not being honest with yourself. To rank SOM up there with outright medicaid fraud is a bit sensationalistic don't you think? And I'm not saying that you think this, just that it's funny how the media jumps all over any "story" they can.

Well, just because it happens at other schools doesn't make it right. But most of the media's attention has been on the medicaid/medicare fraud, not on Gallagher.

DOctorJay said:
Corzine gets to look like he cleaned something up by replacing all the Deans and start with a new slate (do you know who gets to appoint the board members??? would you go against his recommendation if he got to choose who sits on the board?). Hmmm this might just sound good come election time. There are a couple other issues that play into this for Corzine that you may or may not realize also but you can PM me about that if you'd like.

The most efficient way to clean something up is to install new leadership. In terms of whether the board will do what Corzine wants bc Corzine installed them... well, I suppose thats an issue of whether each board member is either qualified or rather, just a political appointee to push an agenda.

DOctorJay said:
What concerns me most is that Dr. Gallagher had big plans to expand SOM and continue in its mission of excellence, apparently Newark didn't like that. He fought harder for our school than anyone.

From what I've heard, he's an excellent physician who runs a renowned headache center (?). SOM is an excellent school and I'm hopeful that primary-care driven expansion under its wing continues. I doubt it will impact the whole debate of creating a 3rd school (in Camden) and lumping SOM into that - from what Ive heard, that was a hot topic some years back.

Sorry Jay, this might make you mad, but I laughed reading this... :laugh:

---------

HEADLINE: For UMDNJ, a name with a bite: Tony Soprano University

BYLINE: MIKE KELLY, North Jersey Media Group

BODY:

MAYBE IT'S TIME for the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey to get a new name. How about Tony Soprano University?

Or, as that endearing Soprano linguist, Paulie Walnuts, might put it: "TSU. It rhymes wit sue — as in 'sue me, sue you'."

I know what you are thinking: Too glib. Plus all those medical school alums may flinch and pinch on their contributions if the name is changed.

Not to worry.

TSU is a lot less of a mouthful than UMDNJ. Plus, Soprano U fits the indelible image that the state's medical school seems to crave. Where else but New Jersey would top medical school administrators John Petillo and Robert Saporito actually sit down for dinner with a convicted health-care racketeer whose former business partner reportedly had mob ties?

Petillo, a former Catholic priest, and Saporito, a dentist, have since resigned ? thankfully. But what could their dinner conversations have been like with this mob-linked racketeer?

Did they compare notes on how to chop up dead bodies ? the surgical, scalpel technique versus the chain saw? Did they exchange tips on avoiding subpoenas from nagging federal prosecutors? Or was this just a friendly get-together over martinis ? you know, just a bunch of Jersey guys, talking business, golf and the latest "Sopranos" episode?

Ah, the Garden State. Medicine and the mob, perfect together, right?

In New Jersey, you don't need to watch "The Sopranos" to understand the all-too-common link between organized crime and normal life and business. All you have to do is keep an eye on the people who teach medicine or perform cancer research.

The steady stream of revelations about UMDNJ's inner workings and finances continued last week with the release of a report by a federal monitor ? with one of the most startling revelations involving those clueless administrators, Petillo and Saporito.

Using UMDNJ expense accounts, Saporito went to dinner three times ? once with Petillo along — with Louis Garruto, who was convicted in 1985 of defrauding drug firms in New York. In the 1990s, the N.J. State Commission of Investigation found that Garruto's partner in a firm that did business with Passaic County was linked to the Lucchese crime family.

Petillo told The Record he did not know of Garruto's criminal background when he went to dinner with him. He also said Garruto never made a business pitch at the dinners. So why were the meals charged to UMDNJ expense accounts?

Besides those questionable expenses, the report also described a political patronage rating system for UMDNJ job applicants that makes the points system of judging in boxing bouts actually seem fair.

The UMDNJ system worked this way: If you applied for a job in the sprawling university system, you were assigned a code number. This number was not linked in any way to your talent. Remember: This is Soprano U.

The number corresponded to the strength of your political ties. So, if you knew the governor, a U.S. senator, or a top state legislator, you might get a "1." For example, the report said those applicants who knew Rep. Robert Menendez, now a U.S. senator, got a "1." But if your best political link was, say, a former public works official from dinky Teterboro, you might get only a "3" ? and probably not get hired.

Needless to say, UMDNJ's workforce became populated with political hacks. And when contracts were awarded, politics came first, not talent.

This is how our wonderful state was training its doctors and dentists. Could things get any more sleazy?

Of course!

Consider, again, the expense account of Robert Saporito.

The report detailed two dozen "suspicious" expenses by Saporito, totaling nearly $9,000. These included hotel rooms Saporito claimed he needed when meetings ran late at the Newark campus and he didn't want to drive back home to Brick Township. Investigators found that Saporito often checked into hotels before 8 p.m. Once, he checked in before 10 a.m. On another occasion, he charged a hotel room to his UMDNJ account when he went to a Giants game.

The report also found that Saporito did not always pay attention to UMDNJ policy that requires workers to choose only cheap compacts if they rented a car for business. The report described Saporito billing his UMDNJ expense account for an Alfa Romeo sports car on one trip, a Cadillac DeVille on another.

"While the monetary effect may not be significant, Saporito's attitude of entitlement is entirely inappropriate," the report said. It added that Saporito "appeared, on many occasions, to violate every public entity's edict of spending money prudently."

By the way, Saporito made $450,000 last year in salary and bonuses.

UMDNJ's interim president, Dr. Bruce Vladeck, who replaced the pathetic Petillo a month ago, called the report comprehensive and pledged to transform the medical school into a model public university that New Jersey can be proud of.

"We have our work cut out for us," Vladeck said in a statement.

Maybe he should start by changing the school's name.

At least, Tony would be proud.

Mike Kelly is a Record columnist. Contact him at [email protected]. Send comments about this column to The Record at [email protected].

Leave politics to the politicians and the media (the media have become politicians anyway); they can fling poo all over. This is what to expect with a public university because it is controlled, in part, by politicians whom for the most part are spawned from evil itself. Here, at the student level, life goes on as usual and we still have the best resources and support to become docs. If you can ignore the poo flying over head from time to time there is no better place to get a medical education, and for 15k less a year. In other words, fugetaboutit.

Members don't see this ad :)
nvshelat,
I was really just trying to say that the only reason SOM is involved in this whole thing is our name, UMDNJ. If we were NJCOM or something no one would have heard about the minor things occuring here and Dr. Gallagher would still be here. I also don't think that gifts to staff really count as "personal" use of funds - perhaps we'll agree to disagree here.

I have no issue with everything else you posted and appreciate your appropriate responses (instead of attacks that tend to occur around here). You obviously are well versed on this issue, it's just unfair to really tie SOM into the other things that have been going on up North.

and as Nate has mentioned, life of the student body goes on as usual and it truly doesn't affect us at the moment.

-J

Nate said:
In other words, fugetaboutit.

LOL fits in well with the Sopranos theme, hehe ;)

it could be worse.....at least the news reports didn't come out w/ something like "and they don't even train MD's!!".....jk jk jk..... :D

DOctorJay said:
SOM wasn't clean???

From what I have been reading there are many other accusations (more serious) not sure if they are true though but reporter write there is strong evidence to suggest so.

I do agree I lot seemed to be done while he was there. I actually think the facilities are far superior to NJMS. ALthough the new NJMS housing looks pretty sweet

my previous comments were made prior to the full reporting, I now have a clearer picture of who the old dean was, let's just leave it at that.

there's more fun to come, just watch, but I can assure any future/potential SOM students that our education is top priority and Dean Cavalieri is the man to ge things back on track.

-J

DOctorJay said:
my previous comments were made prior to the full reporting, I now have a clearer picture of who the old dean was, let's just leave it at that.

there's more fun to come, just watch, but I can assure any future/potential SOM students that our education is top priority and Dean Cavalieri is the man to ge things back on track.

-J

He's great, he was very personable and very responsive to me. He has an appreciation and understanding. Something I did not get from "other" dean which was basically o well too bad read the student handbook and didnt seem to want to be bothered with the extraordinary circumstances in my case.

Praying for my acceptance back in

DOctorJay said:

-J

by the way, the link above is related to Newark/RWJ NOT UMDNJ-SOM, that crap wasn't going on down here

Excuse me, show me one report where RWJ has been mentioned. You won't, because it hasn't been. The reports centered on the UMDNJ board and University Hospital in Newark. Don't bash RWJ just because your Dean got caught doing unethical crap. :rolleyes:

Tiki said:
Excuse me, show me one report where RWJ has been mentioned. You won't, because it hasn't been. The reports centered on the UMDNJ board and University Hospital in Newark. Don't bash RWJ just because your Dean got caught doing unethical crap. :rolleyes:

No one is bashing RWJ, you can calm your school spirit because we all will have UMDNJ on our diplomas so it concerns us all. I worked at RWJ for 4 years and am working there over the summer now so don't tell me it hasn't affected your school at all because it has. RWJ is still great, so is SOM and NJMS, the people leaving are being replaced by great people and the university is making smart moves regardless of the drama the press displays.

Jersee979 said:

WOW I mean wow. The very two people I appealed my case to as a student are not out amist unethical charges. What are my rights as a student I wonder. Should all of there prior decisions that have had a major impact on people (like me) now be revisited????

What are my rights?? Its Karma man. Let the dominos fall. Regardless I love the people of UMDNJ who make it run day in and out. I hope they make the connection and I am readmitted.

Nate said:
No one is bashing RWJ, you can calm your school spirit because we all will have UMDNJ on our diplomas so it concerns us all. I worked at RWJ for 4 years and am working there over the summer now so don't tell me it hasn't affected your school at all because it has. RWJ is still great, so is SOM and NJMS, the people leaving are being replaced by great people and the university is making smart moves regardless of the drama the press displays.

No one is bashing RWJ? Excuse me? You don't call this bashing?

Like I said, find me one source that mentions RWJ in any of the UMDNJ scandals. The scandal has centered on University hospital in Newark, the UMDNJ board, and SOM's dean. Obviously these things will impact RWJ as well, because we are all part of the same university. I just don't appreciate anyone making false accusations in order to take the heat off of SOM.

Honestly, I like SOM. I think its a nice school. I just don't appreciate the comment that was made trying to make the other UMDNJ schools look bad when SOM is just as involved with the scandal.

Tiki said:
No one is bashing RWJ? Excuse me? You don't call this bashing?

Like I said, find me one source that mentions RWJ in any of the UMDNJ scandals. The scandal has centered on University hospital in Newark, the UMDNJ board, and SOM's dean. Obviously these things will impact RWJ as well, because we are all part of the same university. I just don't appreciate anyone making false accusations in order to take the heat off of SOM.

Honestly, I like SOM. I think its a nice school. I just don't appreciate the comment that was made trying to make the other UMDNJ schools look bad when SOM is just as involved with the scandal.

Read a couple of posts up - you'll see that the person who originally made that remark said he did so w/o knowing hte full extent of the situation. To his credit, it was before the AG's report came out.

RWJ is squeaky clean, my bad. I would have corrected this earlier but thought this was over and done with.

and no I was not bashing RWJ, at the time I as many of my cohorts were under the assumption that things North included both schools. poor assumption on our parts as a distinction should be made between all schools under the umbrella, UMDNJ. I wasn't trying to take the heat off of SOM but rather put things in perspective. Sure, our Dean was doing some shady stuff (much worse than I originally was led to believe) but at least we weren't double billing the government for services.

hindsight is always 20/20 as they say and some of us (including myself) have watched things unfold slightly differently than they appeared (or were led to believe) at the time. I too (like Tiki and Nate) am proud of my education and believe UMDNJ is still an excellent place to receive medical training which includes all branches. it's a shame that some people in high places have taken advantage of their positions and detracted from the excellence of the institution.

signing off until the next Star Ledger report!

-J

DOctorjay-- I beg to differ with your implication that "double billing" at University Hospital in Newark is somehow worse than the personal, unethical and fraudulent conduct of administrators at SOM. It is unfortunately not uncommon for many hospitals affiliated with medical schools to have billing issues with the federal government (including for example, Yale, Pittsburgh and the Univ if Washington -- to name a few). These issues are usually due to errors, not intentional conduct for personal financial gain. While University Hospital is affiliated with NJMS, no administrator at NJMS itself has been accused of any wrongdoing, as is the case with most medical school affiliated hospital billing issues. What has happened at SOM is far worse -- you have people abusing their positions and acting intentionally to further their own personal financial interests.

Having said all of this I do not think as a general matter the education of the students at any of the UMDNJ affiliated schools has suffered despite all of the unfortunate issues that have arisen. (I know that Gforce007 will disagree-- and indeed he/she may be right that the Deans at the SOM were so caught up in their own schemes that proper attention was not paid to his/her situation). It is a shame that billing issues at University Hospital, issues with UMDNJ Board of Trustees, or issues of unethical conduct of a few administrators at SOM has caused such controversy. Despite all of these issues, all of the UMDNJ institutions are still doing an excellent job in continuing to provide a quality education for all of their students.

To add to my post above --

I think that it's unfortunate that students of the various UMDNJ schools find it necesssary to take shots at each of the different institutions rather than collectively pursuing the common goal -- of continuing to receive a quality education and seeing that all UMDNJ institutions are viewed well by the rest of the medical world and the citizens of the State of New Jersey. I hope that this post will put an end to comparing which UMDNJ issue is worse. Even rereading my own post above I know it was harsh (sorry, DOctorjay). I hope all of these issues come to an end soon and it would be nice if the Star-Ledger focused on the many positive things that are going on at all of the UMDNJ affiliated institutions!

you're right, this whole thing has gotten out of hand and taken out of context of the original discussion. the university is obviously taking major steps to get through all of this and hopefully the cloud will blow away soon.

by the way, I do agree that my Dean's actions were inexcusable and in my post above I was rehashing my original argument, which I obviously do not agree with any longer based on new and more complete information.

DOctorJay said:
you're right, this whole thing has gotten out of hand and taken out of context of the original discussion. the university is obviously taking major steps to get through all of this and hopefully the cloud will blow away soon.

by the way, I do agree that my Dean's actions were inexcusable and in my post above I was rehashing my original argument, which I obviously do not agree with any longer based on new and more complete information.

I will be interested in hearing your opinions now that the full force of Dean Wallace's discretions have been unvieled. He was fired because he tried to get his daughter admitted without the usual protocol of essays recoomendations and MCAT scores.. Nepotism exists but this was above and beyond the pale.
I am involved in UMDNJ committees but can truthfully say if I was in that admissions committee, I would not have stood for such nonsense

dermpathdoc said:
I will be interested in hearing your opinions now that the full force of Dean Wallace's discretions have been unvieled. He was fired because he tried to get his daughter admitted without the usual protocol of essays recoomendations and MCAT scores.. Nepotism exists but this was above and beyond the pale.
I am involved in UMDNJ committees but can truthfully say if I was in that admissions committee, I would not have stood for such nonsense

I have to say I was physically sick when I read the report. People kept on saying it did not affect my situation or students were immune to central administration problems. They were wrong. I was affected, my whole life was affacted, all of my educational hard work and sacrifice.

I have letters from both Dean Wallace and Gallagher pouring out my soul to hear me out. That things were overlooked. That I was not being treated fairly and my situation was not given to due process.

I turned to entrusted administration in before my leave and all seemed understood, I was going to do deal with a family crisis, a noble thing, an act of selfless sacrifice because I was focused at the time on doing the "RIGHT THING" not what was "RIGHT FOR ME", then suddenly Dean W and Dean G pulled the rug from under my life refusing to hear me out. Noone stuck up for me prob not b/c they didnt want to but prob out of fear.

Now I have all the puzzle pieces in front of me and I am offically appealling to the highest level of administration. I pray things are righted. I hope they see the facts.

I pray they see all I ever wanted was to take care of mom and dad then come back under my promised terms and finish my medical studies at a school I still, amongst the controversy, love

Hoping and believing thing will be righted.

signing off..........

dermpathdoc said:

The 2 ppl on the interviewing committee that gave her the highest score should be fired as well.