The Future of UMDNJ-SOM....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are you sure about the OGME programs? Do you have a source? Not calling foul, its just that I have a rotation scheduled with them in the fall and am interested in one of the programs so I'm trying to see if their will even be a program to audition at.

Please refer to the last paragraph of page 13:
"[Rowan University shall maintain any affiliation agreement with
the existing integrated healthcare delivery system of the School of
Osteopathic Medicine.]"


http://info.saverutgerscamden.org/A3102_6_22.pdf
 
Please refer to the last paragraph of page 13:
"[Rowan University shall maintain any affiliation agreement with
the existing integrated healthcare delivery system of the School of
Osteopathic Medicine.]"


http://info.saverutgerscamden.org/A3102_6_22.pdf

Yes..but I feel like this doesn't have any bearing on the long term effects of GME. Particularly funding and the maintenance of osteopathic accreditation. Obviously I have no idea about what will happen, but to say they are guaranteed to be unaffected seems a bit bold.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the support. We dont know much of anything right now. The future is rather murky. I heard our campus will be split between us and and Rutgers. Some buildings will be Rutgers and some will be Rowan. At this point, a lot of us are hoping our diplomas will say UMDNJ on it, seeing as that was the school we agreed to be a part of. All we can do is to continue to work hard and hope that our hard work is recognized in spite of the name on it.

Attention current students. The fight is not over..you may be moving to Rowan, but that doesn't mean your education HAS to be sub-par to that of Cooper.

Here is the faculty page for Cooper's new medical school:
http://www.rowan.edu/coopermed/faculty/departments/

Almost each department has at least a DO on their faculty.
That being said, you guys should email them and voice your concerns about Rowan acquiring a DO school but not being able to potentially maintain its clinical affiliations, etc., or being able to run it.
They are DO's...they understand where you may be coming from and perhaps they may help and bring the attention to Cooper administration. Cooper may have more authority than Rowan in certain circumstances such as medical student affairs, and thus, may be willing to help you guys out, especially since Rowan has been getting so much terrible media attention. You guys can help each other out.

Write to them and ask them politely to make sure that you guys aren't the ugly step-child of Rowan and that you guys deserve fair treatment and ACCESS to the same resources as Cooper students.

Do not give up the fight.
 
Yes..but I feel like this doesn't have any bearing on the long term effects of GME. Particularly funding and the maintenance of osteopathic accreditation. Obviously I have no idea about what will happen, but to say they are guaranteed to be unaffected seems a bit bold.

The dean was asked similar questions, here is how he responded:

Q: GME, how will it affect current and incoming residents?

A: When you read the document, you will see SOM will maintain its oversight of GME and undergraduate medical education. Prior to that, in the previous version of the bill, it said that the hospital would oversee GME, like at Cooper. Our GME is a continuum. Our model is a model of success, and we worked to introduce language in the bill that SOM will have oversight over GME. It was written originally that it would shift to the hospital that will secure GME here. Moreover, our residents are under the CIR, a union to protects the interests of the residents, and if it went in another direction, that could be jeopardized. I am confident that our residency programs at Kennedy and Lourdes will remain intact. We have been working hard to develop new GME, all the GME programs at South Jersey Healthcare, which after they mature will be about 150 slots, which are all osteopathic GME, and then Kennedy and Lourdes. They are all osteopathic programs; this year they have started internal med., surgery and emergency medicine. We are growing GME. We have started dialogue with Southern Ocean about GME. We shall continue to grow GME.

Q: Finance is a big issue. Have you spoken to Rowan about that, about what they can offer us financially and be sure they have everything we need?

A: The finances are a concern to many people. What we learned is that the treasurer of State of NJ is overseeing this whole process of how finances will be allocated; our school is financially stable. There is a state allocation to support our school and monies that support the university that are in central administration. A very objective person that is someone not from any individual university, the treasurer, will oversee to assure there are adequate resources that are moved in to the respective universities. The school is financially solvent, and the person overseeing it is treasurer of NJ. We see this repeatedly that the details of finances have not been looked at.
 
Straight from the dean, very nice.

Man, I wish the entire community the best. They have built a great legacy and it would be a real shame to see any aspects of it suffer.
 
Attention current students. The fight is not over..you may be moving to Rowan, but that doesn't mean your education HAS to be sub-par to that of Cooper.

Here is the faculty page for Cooper's new medical school:
http://www.rowan.edu/coopermed/faculty/departments/

Almost each department has at least a DO on their faculty.
That being said, you guys should email them and voice your concerns about Rowan acquiring a DO school but not being able to potentially maintain its clinical affiliations, etc., or being able to run it.
They are DO's...they understand where you may be coming from and perhaps they may help and bring the attention to Cooper administration. Cooper may have more authority than Rowan in certain circumstances such as medical student affairs, and thus, may be willing to help you guys out, especially since Rowan has been getting so much terrible media attention. You guys can help each other out.

Write to them and ask them politely to make sure that you guys aren't the ugly step-child of Rowan and that you guys deserve fair treatment and ACCESS to the same resources as Cooper students.

Do not give up the fight.

1. Here is what the Dean had to say (in general) to the anti-merger proponents:

"I want you to know what their (the legislators') thinking is. They sincerely believe there is not an appropriate amount of resources for higher education in South Jersey, they feel that Rutgers-Camden and we (SOM) have not received appropriate resources. They want to create a research university in southern New Jersey so it can emerge as a powerful research university unto itself. They recognize the value of this school, the research that is has done, the value that it has. They feel that after putting us under Rowan a powerful research university will emerge and will allow us to get resources for our school to build on the successes that we have had. Senator Sweeney (one of the prime movers of this bill), who is president of Senate, his brother is a graduate of this school and Senator Sweeney has a great respect for this school and was a strong supporter of this bill. He views that this is a positive thing. Assemblywoman Reilly, who also was a supporter of this bill, her father received the UMDNJ-medal of excellence award last year and was one of the founders of this school. There is a mindset that this will actually bring more resources to this school. I want you to see what the elected officials' thinking is."

2. Here is what the dean had to say specifically about the clinical affiliations' concern:

"Another concern was with the Cooper Medical School here in Camden and being under same umbrella, will it negatively impact or threaten available clerkships? My opinion is no, we have strong relations with Kennedy and Our Lady of Lourdes and a strong emerging relationship with South Jersey Healthcare, which just acquired Underwood Hospital in Woodbury. We have a whole network. We also started a relationship with Virtua for student rotations there. We just signed an affiliation with Southern Ocean Medical Center, and we are strengthening our relationship with North Jersey hospitals, Christ Hospital and Atlantic Health, Morristown General and Overlook. I don't see this jeopardizing clinical rotations at all. We are in great demand with hospitals to affiliate with us. It may open up some doors to rotations at Cooper and that could be a positive thing, each hospital brings opportunities of rotations, like Cooper is a major trauma center."

3a. Here are my personal comments about your concerns of SOM students getting access to the same resources as Cooper Medical students (I am assuming you are talking about core clinical rotations:

Even while SOM was under the UMDNJ umbrella, SOM never shared core rotations with either of its sister allopathic schools (NJMS & RWJMS)...so the argument that SOM students "deserve" core rotations at Cooper University Hospital just because we (Cooper Med. school and SOM) are under the Rowan umbrella doesn't hold. Let me know if I incorrectly assumed that you were referring to core rotations when you said "resources".

3b This is how the dean answered a similar concern:

Q: Is there a way to secure more rotations at Cooper Medical School in this interim period as Cooper Medical school is establishing their classes, to rotate through there, or at least have an option.
A: That is something we can look into very soon, I was on the phone with Dr. Katz and I think that is a viable possibility. There are many GME programs we don't have that Cooper does, and some of our graduates have gone to Cooper. One of the benefits out of this is more access to GME programs at Cooper. GME is a big thing; there are some programs that we simply don't have but they do.
 
FutureDoctorrr, thank you very much for the great responses, you def. answered a lot of lingering questions.
 
So what will the new name be? NJSOM of Rowan University or RUSOM or RUCOM? Or something else?
 
FutureDoctorrr, thank you very much for the great responses, you def. answered a lot of lingering questions.

You're welcome. Spreading the word is what I am here for 🙂


So what will the new name be? NJSOM of Rowan University or RUSOM or RUCOM? Or something else?

The dean was asked a similar question:

"Q: What will the name of the school be? I heard NJSOM at Rowan? Do we have a chance to dictate that at least?
A: We have started that dialogue, we used to be NJSOM and many years ago they changed it because UMDNJ-NJSOM was too much. I am glad you brought that up, in this time of change this is something we brought up to have it be named NJSOM at Rowan. This is something being thrown around."
 
I can't help but chuckle at all the ways the students at my school have probably offended Rowan in their opposition to this merger. I like NJSOM AT Rowan. There is a difference, indeed.
 
I can't help but chuckle at all the ways the students at my school have probably offended Rowan in their opposition to this merger. I like NJSOM AT Rowan. There is a difference, indeed.

Oh yeah...definity...Ali Houshmand (the president of Rowan) is probably pissed off at SOM...I remember reading one of his comments in a news article as he addressed SOM students/faculty opposed to the merger with Rowan.

"It's not as if they're working in a third-world country. Rowan is a prominent university," Houshmand said."

Source:
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/06/rutgers_governing_boards_to_ta.html
 
Last edited:
Hi all,

I'm very thankful to have come across this thread because I needed more information on what effect the bill would have on the school.

I am in a very difficult position in deciding my fate in terms of which school I am going to attend. I am still currently wait-listed at UMDNJ-SOM, at the top 10% and the list has been moving very slow. I have a deposit at NSU-COM (Florida) and have been very stressed in planning my move and deciding if I should wait on UMDNJ-SOM to stay closer to home.

I feel my chances are slim on getting into UMDNJ but after reading more about the bill and the petition, I am even more worried and not sure if it is worth it to wait for UMDNJ.
Is SOM really at risk for losing accreditation in the merger process and will the quality of education be greatly affected? Is it a risk I should be willing to take?

Should I just not take any risk and go to NSUCOM?

I would greatly appreciate any advice from any of you, especially those who are currently students at UMDNJ.

Please help me out. Thanks ahead of time for anyone who reads this.
 
Hi all,

I'm very thankful to have come across this thread because I needed more information on what effect the bill would have on the school.

I am in a very difficult position in deciding my fate in terms of which school I am going to attend. I am still currently wait-listed at UMDNJ-SOM, at the top 10% and the list has been moving very slow. I have a deposit at NSU-COM (Florida) and have been very stressed in planning my move and deciding if I should wait on UMDNJ-SOM to stay closer to home.

I feel my chances are slim on getting into UMDNJ but after reading more about the bill and the petition, I am even more worried and not sure if it is worth it to wait for UMDNJ.
Is SOM really at risk for losing accreditation in the merger process and will the quality of education be greatly affected? Is it a risk I should be willing to take?

Should I just not take any risk and go to NSUCOM?

I would greatly appreciate any advice from any of you, especially those who are currently students at UMDNJ.

Please help me out. Thanks ahead of time for anyone who reads this.
As an M4 at NSUCOM, my recommendation is to make plans to move to NSU, and if you do get off the waitlist during orientation or the 1st week of classes, to make a decision on whether to continue or whether to move back. I'd reserve a room for Fall Semester at Rolling Hills apartments. If you have to pack up and go, they are very reasonable on breaking contract.

I remember as an M1 at orientation there were people I met who disappeared the 1st day of class because they had been accepted to their home institutions, 100% of them which were less expensive to attend than NSU.

I wouldn't worry about accreditation. COCA will accredit a chicken farm in the middle of a swamp, it would be laughable of them to strip UMDNJ of all places of their accreditation because of something like this.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So what happens if a school loses accreditation? I understand that individuals will not be able to take the COMPLX for the time the school is not accredited but will these students be able to take it once the school meets accreditation standards again? How about the students that are in the entering class, how will a loss of accreditation affect them? Will they be able to take the COMPLX and enter residency in the future? And those entering residency, they won't be able to enter their programs? Will they be able to enter once the program meets accreditation standards?
 
So what happens if a school loses accreditation? I understand that individuals will not be able to take the COMPLX for the time the school is not accredited but will these students be able to take it once the school meets accreditation standards again? How about the students that are in the entering class, how will a loss of accreditation affect them? Will they be able to take the COMPLX and enter residency in the future? And those entering residency, they won't be able to enter their programs? Will they be able to enter once the program meets accreditation standards?

Not commenting on UMDNJ, just restating accreditation rules:

If the day you graduate, your school is accredited, then you have graduated from an accredited medical school and what happens afterwards doesn't effect your status. Conversely, if the school loses accreditation the day before you graduate, you will graduate from an unaccredited medical school and whether they re-obtain their accreditation or not after your graduation will not change the status of your degree and you would be ineligible for residency/fellowship/licensure.

With regards to COMLEX (1, 2CE and 2PE), the day you sit for the exam, you have to be in good standing at a COCA accredited COM. Obviously if your school is not accredited then you can't sit for the exam until they regain accreditation. For level 3 and residency/fellowship/licensure, you have to graduate from an accredited medical school (see above)!

The abovementioned process was tested/demonstrated when LCME pulled accreditation of a medical school in PR (before it was re-instated by the courts) last year; Their students became ineligible for USMLE until accreditation was restored.
 
Last edited:
Thank you very much for your answer, it helped a lot as I could not find this information on COCA's website. 🙂
 
Not bad, but if they could follow with MSU's model and also change cooper's name to Rowan University school of human medicine, I think that would be ideal.