Essay section

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PCAT_gal

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know a good book for the essay section? And are the topics on current events?

If anyone has tips on how to write a good argumentative and a problem-solving essay, please tell us!

Members don't see this ad.

Also, what were the topics/question they asked for the essay question?

You dont need a book for the essay section, the topics they ask allow you to draw on your personal opinion and your experiences, it is really nothing you can "study". Look at the topic, think for a moment, sketch a brief outline and write an essay in generic highschool english format: one opening paragraph, three supporting and one closing paragraph.

Is the essay handwritten or can you use a word processor with spell checking? My typing is grand, but my handwriting could use some polishing.

Members don't see this ad :)
George Rivello said:
Is the essay handwritten or can you use a word processor with spell checking? My typing is grand, but my handwriting could use some polishing.
Legally I am not allowed to disclose any part of the test I took due to the fantastic contract at the beginning of the test. But if I were to guess I would say that an example question, just an example mind you, might be ***** and you might possibly be asked to support this with facts you know from your life. I may have received a 4 on a question similar to this even though all I could think of was ****. Just a guess and it was handwritten in very sloppy handwriting as by that time my hand was very tired.

George Rivello said:
All handwritten. They do give you one extra page in the test booklet that you can use to make notes on before you start to write the actual essay.

PCAT_gal said:
Does anyone know a good book for the essay section? And are the topics on current events?

If anyone has tips on how to write a good argumentative and a problem-solving essay, please tell us!

They will give you some sort of statement as a prompt. You should state whether you agree or disagree with the statement (paragraph 1). Give two or three pieces of evidence to support your position (P 2 & 3). Present the opposing viewpoint with some brief supporting evidence (P 4). Then state why you think the opposing viewpoint is flawed/not valid, briefly restate your position and conclude (P 5).

Make sure you read the prompt carefully and address all of the areas they ask you to. Following the directions is half the battle in this section. :thumbup:

PCAT_gal said:

You know i dont really think that they look at if your argument makes sense. Just be right on point with your grammar and punctuation marks. No phrases or slangs and you should be good to go.
I got a 4 outta 5 on my essay and for all i know, my essay made no sense watsoever. I was just able to polish it up and make it look like it made sense. (You know how you beat around the bush when you dont know what to say, well dats what i did, only i did it with style :cool: )