Pharmacy Interview Essay Examples

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Coleorlo

Reaction score
Title says it all. If you wouldn't mind posting the essay questions you were given at your pharmacy school interview, that would be great!
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

1) how much in student loans do you qualify?
2) how soon will these loans be disbursed to you?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They removed the essay as a disqualifier from the school I graduated from because students couldn't write the essays well enough.

No more PCAT, GPA, or essay requirement. They should just eliminate interviews at this point.

Title says it all. If you wouldn't mind posting the essay questions you were given at your pharmacy school interview, that would be great!
Thanks!

You must not be that bright. I suggest you YouTube Paul Tran.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
They'll ask you what is professionalism and would you report someone cheating. Honestly speaking, you don't need to worry about them at all. They're not kidding, they will accept you no matter what. I've seen it with my own eyes.

They'll ask you what is professionalism and would you report someone cheating. Honestly speaking, you don't need to worry about them at all. They're not kidding, they will accept you no matter what. I've seen it with my own eyes.
Thank you.

A lot of people on here are talking about how pharmacy is moving towards this barren wasteland of unemployment and student debt. Honestly, I doubt I'll have a decent pharmacy job out of college, or even a job at all. I just hope it won't be as severe here in Michigan, since we have a lot of high density health areas (Grand Rapids, Lansing, Detroit), and a lot of pharmaceutical companies (pfizer). Moreover, there is only three pharmacy schools in this state and they all still rely on the PCAT, essay, and interviews for admission. But, again, if I get accepted, I still doubt I'll find a good enough job that pays well in 4 years, unfortunately.

Thank you.

A lot of people on here are talking about how pharmacy is moving towards this barren wasteland of unemployment and student debt. Honestly, I doubt I'll have a decent pharmacy job out of college, or even a job at all. I just hope it won't be as severe here in Michigan, since we have a lot of high density health areas (Grand Rapids, Lansing, Detroit), and a lot of pharmaceutical companies (pfizer). Moreover, there is only three pharmacy schools in this state and they all still rely on the PCAT, essay, and interviews for admission. But, again, if I get accepted, I still doubt I'll find a good enough job that pays well in 4 years, unfortunately.

You could study computer science or engineering, or go into the trades. Some of these professions are really hurting for more employees. These also do not require you to take out $200k+ in loans and spend an additional 4 years of your life in school.

Thank you.

Hey man, it's never too late. I left as couple weeks in. There are other fields as well. If you are really passionate about it keep the realistic perspective as well with all the facts. It's not going to get better if you think about it with schools coming up. Michigan is close to Chicago and it's really saturated in Chicago. Logically, I would assume that the students there would go to Michigan for a job or Wisconsin. Those BFE areas might also get saturated 4 years from now so keep that in mind as well.

I sincerely doubt that you'll have a problem getting accepted. Trust me, they are taking everyone and increasing tuition. The main issue is a job after graduating.
Keep your options open. I rather waste 2 years finding something else than 4 years being in 200k debt with interest adding on to that.
Best of luck to you.

Hey man, it's never too late. I left as couple weeks in. There are other fields as well. If you are really passionate about it keep the realistic perspective as well with all the facts. It's not going to get better if you think about it with schools coming up. Michigan is close to Chicago and it's really saturated in Chicago. Logically, I would assume that the students there would go to Michigan for a job or Wisconsin. Those BFE areas might also get saturated 4 years from now so keep that in mind as well.

I sincerely doubt that you'll have a problem getting accepted. Trust me, they are taking everyone and increasing tuition. The main issue is a job after graduating.
Keep your options open. I rather waste 2 years finding something else than 4 years being in 200k debt with interest adding on to that.
Best of luck to you.

Yeah I wouldn’t doubt that happening in 4 years. It might be naive of me to say, but honestly, I have a true passion for pharmacy and I think if I put in enough work and really step outside my comfort zone, I might be able to snatch a job haha! Just maybe...

Anyways there’s not much I can do with my Bachelors of Science that I’m not already doing at a job that pays $16 an hour. If you don’t go onto graduate school then the max you’ll make with a BS degree is like $22 an hour. It’s almost necessary in this day in age if you enjoy the health sciences to go onto med, pharm, opt, school for four more years, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Thank you.

A lot of students who don't get accepted to those schools go to school out of state and hope to return. Unfortunately, hope does not help. There is a very real possibility that you could be unemployed with 200k in loans in 4 years. $200,000 let that sink in.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don’t go onto graduate school then the max you’ll make with a BS degree is like $22 an hour. It’s almost necessary in this day in age if you enjoy the health sciences to go onto med, pharm, opt, school for four more years, unfortunately.

You could go to a coding bootcamp or trade school and earn far more than $22/hr. Who said you have to use your BS degree?

Reactions: 1 user
A lot of students who don't get accepted to those schools go to school out of state and hope to return. Unfortunately, hope does not help. There is a very real possibility that you could be unemployed with 200k in loans in 4 years. $200,000 let that sink in.
Unfortunately that’s the reality of things. Hopefully it won’t come to that though. Can only be optimistic; or what’s the point of even trying...

Unfortunately that’s the reality of things. Hopefully it won’t come to that though. Can only be optimistic; or what’s the point of even trying...
Well good luck to you. Pharmacy school is, from what I know, all about networking more than grades unless you're doing residency. Even with that, you still need to know the right people. Make sure you're different from the people who are also in research/clubs/frats. From the time I was in school, every student was doing the same thing to make themselves stand out.

Well good luck to you. Pharmacy school is, from what I know, all about networking more than grades unless you're doing residency. Even with that, you still need to know the right people. Make sure you're different from the people who are also in research/clubs/frats. From the time I was in school, every student was doing the same thing to make themselves stand out.

Thank you. Luckily, I’ve already started to develop a very good network of physicians and pharmacists in the health field. Now just need to get accepted!

Thank you. Luckily, I’ve already started to develop a very good network of physicians and pharmacists in the health field. Now just need to get accepted!

Are they in a hiring position? Physicians and pharmacists are generally not the ones who hire pharmacists.

FYI this is the hiring priority:
1) nepotism
2) hot girl
3) naive sucker
4) qualified applicant

So if you're not 1 or 2 then you stand very little chance of getting a job anywhere desirable. Even the BFE locations are getting competitive.

If there are no jobs today and 15,000 pharmDs graduate every year, how will there be jobs for you in 4 years?

Are they in a hiring position? Physicians and pharmacists are generally not the ones who hire pharmacists.

FYI this is the hiring priority:
1) nepotism
2) hot girl
3) naive sucker
4) qualified applicant

So if you're not 1 or 2 then you stand very little chance of getting a job anywhere desirable. Even the BFE locations are getting competitive.

Why don’t I just change genders and become a “hot girl”?

Like I said I’m guessing there won’t be.

Then why put yourself through the misery of 4 years of pharmacy school and 200k in debt? I'm so confused.

And once again we see how logic is powerless against belief.

If you don’t go onto graduate school then the max you’ll make with a BS degree is like $22 an hour.
Sez who? Why do I personally know plenty of people who make a lot more than that? And some don't even have a bachelor's? And I am not speaking about celebrities, but about regular people doing accounting, sales, middle management, all kinds of regular every day jobs. Most jobs are not degree specific nowadays... just like most degrees don't prepare a person for just one specific type of work.

Then why put yourself through the misery of 4 years of pharmacy school and 200k in debt? I'm so confused.
Seems to me, the kid just got a taste of the real world, got scared and wants to go back into the safe and comfy world of being a student and postpone adulthood by another four years. Or maybe six or seven, with residencies and stuff.

And once again we see how logic is powerless against belief.

Sez who? Why do I personally know plenty of people who make a lot more than that? And some don't even have a bachelor's? And I am not speaking about celebrities, but about regular people doing accounting, sales, middle management, all kinds of regular every day jobs. Most jobs are not degree specific nowadays... just like most degrees don't prepare a person for just one specific type of work.

OP obviously didn't read this thread:

UPS drivers make $30/hr right now, no degree required.

There are thousands of jobs that pay more than $22/hr.

Like I said I’m guessing there won’t be.

No need to guess, there won't be. I suggest you YouTube Paul Tran (a current pharmacist). You clearly still haven't. I also suggest you Google the pharmacies that just closed last week (11/09/19). The fact that you are guessing rather than researching when all the data is right in front of your face is unbelievable (any smart student would have already done this). Also, if you know that many pharmacists, they clearly don't know jack about the current market situation or are too afraid to hurt you feelings because it seems you think you are the exception to the rule.

The class of 2019 can't even find part time jobs right now. Most are working per diem, like maybe 1 day of work if they are lucky. Everyone else is waiting for a phone interview while working at their old jobs that have nothing to do with pharmacy so they can feed their family.

I can't believe how, clueless all these "pre" pharmacy students are. Just freaken Google it. The pharmacists you know are some of the dumbest of the bunch. Only a *****ic pharmacist would say the market is good right now. You should Google it and then print the articles about the closures then take it to those pharmacists you know and slap them in the face (literally) with the printed papers. Hell, even the loan companies are advising students against going into pharmacy, yet you are still considering going into it.

Jesus dude...You can lead a horse to the water, but you can't make it drink.

Wow let’s just calm down everybody this post got way off topic way too quick...I just wanted essay topics for my interview lmao. But if you insist...

Last edited:
People I wanna go to pharmacy school because I’m passionate about pharmacy. I minored it in in college and would have majored in it if my school would have offered the option. I know the risks associated with choosing this career path - and I’m ok with them. You may call me arrogant or naive but I get that I’m going into a dying industry. However, this is what I want to do, and nothing people say will change that. If I walk away with 200k in loans and no job, welp then so be it

And yes, I’ve watched most of Paul Tran’s videos. I totally agree with all the points you guys are making. That being said, prospecting students who don’t really have the drive and are wavering on going to pharmacy school, should not!

As this industry transitions over to a more automative and mail-order pharmacy practice, more and more pharmacists are going to become unemployed and work per diem on a strictly counsel based approach for wages that are laughable at best. Newly graduated Pharmacy students will be sent out onto a barren wasteland of debt and unemployment, given the tools to paddle but without any water around. Honestly, in 20 years this industry might not even exist. This is reality. Pharmacy schools are scams. And the opening of more and more scam schools with lesser and lesser admittance restrictions is causing this industry to go down a path that it can’t possibly come back from - a path of mediocrity and an insanely competitive job market.

All that being said, I’m still prepared to take the leap of faith. I know I might end up crashing and burning - but, there is still a slim chance that I’ll get to do something I love and am passionate about as a career.

I’m closing this thread since obviously this pointless and toxic banter isn’t going anywhere.

Sorry if I put any of you in a bad mood.

Last edited:
People I wanna go to pharmacy school because I’m passionate about pharmacy. I minored it in in college and would have majored in it if my school would have offered the option. I know the risks associated with choosing this career path - and I’m ok with them. You may call me arrogant or naive but I get that I’m going into a dying industry. However, this is what I want to do, and nothing people say will change that. If I walk away with 200k in loans and no job, welp then so be it

And yes, I’ve watched most of Paul Tran’s videos. I totally agree with all the points you guys are making. That being said, prospecting students who don’t really have the drive and are wavering on going to pharmacy school, should not!

As this industry transitions over to a more automative and mail-order pharmacy practice, more and more pharmacists are going to become unemployed and work per diem on a strictly counsel based approach for wages that are laughable at best. Newly graduated Pharmacy students will be sent out onto a barren wasteland of debt and unemployment, given the tools to paddle but without any water around. Honestly, in 20 years this industry might not even exist. This is reality. Pharmacy schools are scams. And the opening of more and more scam schools with lesser and lesser admittance restrictions is causing this industry to go down a path that it can’t possibly come back from - a path of mediocrity and an insanely competitive job market.

All that being said, I’m still prepared to take the leap of faith. I know I might end up crashing and burning - but, there is still a slim chance that I’ll get to do something I love and am passionate about as a career.

I’m closing this thread since obviously this pointless and toxic banter isn’t going anywhere.

Sorry if I put any of you in a bad mood.

Have you shadowed any retail pharmacist and see how the workflow is with retail? In my opinion, retail pharmacy seems more like a customer service job more than an actual "pharmacy" job in hospitals. As long as you are going in with the mindset "I am gonna be in retail, I will live far away from any major cities, my hourly compensation at the point of hire will never increase, and at some point, they will replace me a few years down the line with new graduates with lower pay", by all means, go for it. I have family members and friends who went to pharmacy school and now are not doing okay at all.

Passion and leap of faith.
Of course... I hope you don`t end up with any debt. $150k debt is not worth your slim chance of getting to do what you like.

An expected turn of another event in the SDN family but still an interesting read.

As for the OP, it doesn't matter what writing essay topic you get. They just wonder if you write like an 8 year old or not. In times past, my program put out questions such as should pharmacists be given prescribing power dealing with birth control why or why not, what does provider status mean to you and should pharmacists be granted the status, your pharmacy left refrigerated drugs outside overnight under your shift, what will you do....

As far as defining passion: Nobody on this site has more passion toward pharmacy than I do in fishing. Yet I don't make six figures in every tournament I've competed in like others have (Let alone $200,000 in debt). I supplement my passions with work in order to enjoy the finer things in life. If work you have not done yet is a passion, then you need to re-define passion or re-evaluate your hobbies.

Food for thought

Reactions: 2 users
Every pre-pharm has a passion for pharmacy. Would you pay to work in a pharmacy in your free time? If not then you're not passionate about it. I'm passionate about travel, skiing, scuba diving, hiking, eating out, spending time with friends and family, watching movies, going to concerts and sports games. These are all things that I would pay money for and want to do in my free time. Pharmacy is the last thing I want to do on my days off and I would never pay to do it.

If I've been a willingly picking up retail shifts on weekends (about once a month) for well over a decade despite having a full-time job in industry... does that mean I have a passion for pharmacy? I even drive 1,5 hours each way for it! I mean, I don't do it for free, of course, but it's less than 3% of what I bring home, so it doesn't really impact my budget.

If I've been a willingly picking up retail shifts on weekends (about once a month) for well over a decade despite having a full-time job in industry... does that mean I have a passion for pharmacy? I even drive 1,5 hours each way for it! I mean, I don't do it for free, of course, but it's less than 3% of what I bring home, so it doesn't really impact my budget.

No, you are getting paid. Would you pay to work those shifts or volunteer for free? Then you're not passionate about it.