need help with pat!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentistry2011

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have been studying for the dat on my own these last few months. although i'm doing pretty well on the natural sciences section, my PAT and critical reading scores are horrible! thing is, when i do them on my paper....i score a lot better. are the rest of you having difficulties taking the critical reading on the computer? any suggestions/tips?? My main problem is the time constraint! my Kaplan book doesn't give me too many tips on how to improve...so I'd appreciate any feedback.

also, if anyone can offer any tips/shortcuts for the PAT section- I'd really really really appreciate it!! I'm ok with the angle ranking, counting cubes, and with the paper folding. but i'm clueless when it comes to the other sections, especially the top-end-right view! if anyone knows of any tips from class or that they've discovered on their own, again, id REALLY appreciate it!

thanks so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

dentistry2011 said:
i have been studying for the dat on my own these last few months. although i'm doing pretty well on the natural sciences section, my PAT and critical reading scores are horrible! thing is, when i do them on my paper....i score a lot better. are the rest of you having difficulties taking the critical reading on the computer? any suggestions/tips?? My main problem is the time constraint! my Kaplan book doesn't give me too many tips on how to improve...so I'd appreciate any feedback.

also, if anyone can offer any tips/shortcuts for the PAT section- I'd really really really appreciate it!! I'm ok with the angle ranking, counting cubes, and with the paper folding. but i'm clueless when it comes to the other sections, especially the top-end-right view! if anyone knows of any tips from class or that they've discovered on their own, again, id REALLY appreciate it!

thanks so much!!

usually for the top end front problems.. it's funny cuz i don't use both clues much.. i either stick to one model..
for example.. if i were given a top model and front model i look at the characteristics of only the top and see what matches up w/ the answer choices that stays consistant w/ that model.. then i confirm it with the front model..
yea i iddn't explain it too well.. but what u gotta do is count the number of instances in the top model while lookin at a "end" prospective.. and remember what is supposed to be dashed and what is supposed to be solid. then confirm it w/ the front model..

only thing that i get confused about is that.. if we have a solid and dashed superimposed.. does that show up as dashed? or solid?

good luck

rchuloholla said:
usually for the top end front problems.. it's funny cuz i don't use both clues much.. i either stick to one model..
for example.. if i were given a top model and front model i look at the characteristics of only the top and see what matches up w/ the answer choices that stays consistant w/ that model.. then i confirm it with the front model..
yea i iddn't explain it too well.. but what u gotta do is count the number of instances in the top model while lookin at a "end" prospective.. and remember what is supposed to be dashed and what is supposed to be solid. then confirm it w/ the front model..

only thing that i get confused about is that.. if we have a solid and dashed superimposed.. does that show up as dashed? or solid?

good luck

Thanks rchuloholla for the help!!
BUt one question, what do you mean by "number of instances?" i just feel like im missing the basic point or way of solving the top, front, end questions! is the idea to just count the number of lines and where they are located and find a corresponding answer choice?? i can do some of the simpler ones by just visualizing the object...but the harder ones...i have no idea how to solve them! im going to try and get the barrons book since i always see people mentioning their Pat Tips section. but yeah if anyone else has any other suggestions id appreciate it!

Rchuloholla did a good job explaining the T/F/E problems (I think what he meant by "instances" was visible form changes or "lines"...but he'd have to clarify that one for you to be sure...) As for the aperture passings, the key here I think is to visualize the top, front, and end views of the object and match them with one of the choices... that was a strategy I picked up out of one of my study books (can't remember which one) and it worked great for me! Just make sure that you are aware of any tricky changes in the orientation of the shape that the DAT may throw at you. Probably the biggest key to this section is PRACTICE, and learning how to pick up on small details (those are always the ones they try to get you on). Watch for scale differences as well. Good luck! I know you'll do great! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
yea i meant visible form changes or lines..
and also keep in mind that if u look at a cylinder from a side it will look like a rectangle.. i had problems w/ that

also what i have noticed with aperture problems is that there are some choices that are inverted version of a right one.. and that throws off people greatly. I did a few practice exams and got pulled in that trick.. and the answer actually ended up being a simple box to push the whole object through.. FRUSTRATING... but i realized that in the pat.. the choice u think of first.. is usually right most of the time..