2023 DAT Breakdown 25AA / 26TS / 23 PAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bungeeperson

Reaction score
It was tough to start studying for the test because I knew how much effort and time it would take. I found myself reading a lot of these breakdowns before I started and it helped motivate me to start the process, so I thought I would do the same!
Scores:
Bio - 30
GC - 27
OC - 23
RC - 22
QR - 24
TS - 26
PAT - 23
AA - 25
Background:

I am a nontrad who graduated in 2022 with a Biology Degree. I was working full time/overtime while studying for this test and my 45 minute commute didn’t help lol so some of my timeline things might not be applicable to everyone.
Materials Used:
Anki

While it was intimidating to start using this program, as I got used to it, it was definitely the main thing that helped me remember the material after learning it from the Booster material. I used the Booster anki decks for each subject as well as some of my own notecards
DAT Booster
The exams and practice and information I got from this program were extremely helpful. I used every single resource DAT Booster offered. Unfortunately I didn’t put the greatest effort into my college courses so I really needed to learn everything properly again. I seem to be the only person this happened to, but my Booster scores were really similar to my actual exam scores (usually people seem to score higher on the actual DAT).
DAT Bootcamp
I took the first practice exam that DAT Bootcamp offers for free, just as an extra exam.
Study Timeline:
Like I said earlier this part might be too long for some people, but I was pretty limited on time during the week so I started studying 4 months out from my exam day. I used a running timer to keep track of the time I spent studying everyday and to keep making sure I was studying enough every week. I think by the end I hit around 500 hours :0
I used a modified version of the 12 week booster study guide. I spent about the first 60-70 days getting through “Phase One” of the study guide which was the learning section. The rest of the time I did not follow the guide and independently did all the problems again, reviewed and took practice tests.
Study/Exam Day
Biology (30)

I basically transcribed all the Feralis notes that Booster offers, this was probably not necessary lol. I watched all the videos as well. Again the Booster Anki deck was the best resource here. I also completed all the “BioBits/Questions” for biology that Booster offers. Anytime I was unsure of certain concepts I would of course search up Youtube videos etc.
Booster Practice exams were very representative and this section felt easy.
General Chemistry/Organic Chemistry (27/23)
Used all the Booster resources like videos, notes and problems. I used Anki to memorize gen chem equations and orgo reactions.
Booster Practice exams were very representative here as well and I felt these sections were very straightforward.
PAT (24)
Words can’t describe how much I hated this section haha. Felt so frustrating to get so many problems wrong even in the days leading up to the exam. All the generators and problems from Booster definitely prepared me well though. I did 5-15 of each type of problem everyday.
The TFE and Keyhole felt a little easier on the exam which was a huge relief! Everything else was about the same as the Booster exams.
Reading Comprehension (22)
I did all the Booster practice passages twice, and on days I didn’t take a practice test or practice passage I would read a few articles online.
I had a really long 22 paragraph article as my second passage while my third passage was just 8 paragraphs. Just be aware of the passage variation for timing.
Quantitative Reasoning (24)
Pretty straightforward here as well, watched all the Booster videos and did all the problems twice. I also used Anki to memorize equations.
On the exam day there were a few more comparison questions than what I was used to on the practice tests and I ran out of time
😕
. I think this section and PAT is where timing matters the most.
Here are my practice test scores. My Dad said he thought I would get a 28AA and my Mom asked why I only got a 22 in reading so I wish I didn’t share my practice test scores haha.
I am definitely very happy with my score, but I was secretly hoping I would do better on the actual test compared to the practice test like many other people reported.

If you have any questions on specifics for studying feel free to PM/DM/comment, and I’ll get back to you
🙂

Here is a photo of my score report:

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 20231127_082928.jpg
    20231127_082928.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 61
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    117.4 KB · Views: 62
Reactions: 1 user