Professional but comfortable

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.who

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, July 14 is Nordstrom's Anniversary Sale - which means it's high time to start thinking about the suit I need to buy for interviews. The thing is, I'm a grassroots, laid back kind of guy, and I'll only dress in overpriced, stuffy clothing if I have to. Do I really need to get a $400 suit in blue or grey? What's protocol? What's proper?

It's done; it's actually done...or is it just beginning?

Members don't see this ad.

If you check out someplace like the Men's Warehouse or S&K (not sure if these are all over the country), you should be able to find something suitable in the $200-300 range. It's not that cheap, but better than $400. Just think of it as an investment. I got two, in case of second interviews (for jobs) since I got a discount for buying them at the same time. One's black and the other is grey with light pinstripes. I'd also suggest taking someone with you if it's possible, as it's always good to have a second opinion.

What has worked well for my husband is to go to The Mens' Wearhouse or Jos A. Bank. If you have the suits tailored for you (have them fix the pants, the jacket, etc for you at the store, only adds like $80 to the bill), they will look like a million bucks no matter what they cost. You can also try Nordstrom Rack.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr.who said:
Well, July 14 is Nordstrom's Anniversary Sale - which means it's high time to start thinking about the suit I need to buy for interviews. The thing is, I'm a grassroots, laid back kind of guy, and I'll only dress in overpriced, stuffy clothing if I have to. Do I really need to get a $400 suit in blue or grey? What's protocol? What's proper?

Check out Macy's Alfani collection, pretty reasonably priced when on sale. Go with charcoal :thumbup:

I love my suit, so I'm going to give a shout out to the company. I got an awesome Perry Ellis suit for about $250. The material is extremely light and comfortable. If you are more laid back, I'd go with the light pin stripes. They show some personality. I agree with lubdubb on the charcoal too. (mine is charcoal with light blue pin stripes) :thumbup:

girls: skirt or pants suit? and why?

Duchess742 said:

Pants? More mobile and thus better for walking around on interview day???

Duchess742 said:

i will be wearing a skirt of modest length. looks much, much better on a girl.

coco11 said:

As will I, basically because I think it looks a little more formal so it seemed like a "safer" bet. Now I just need to find some shoes that will be nice enough but also comfortable to walk around campus in... I'm someone who never dresses up unless I have to and I sure as hell never wear heels, so this could be interesting...

Duchess742 said:

A skirt is preferable because it's more conservative. But ultimately, I think you need to go with what you're most comfortable wearing.

i bought a pant suit because it was the one that looked best on me. I also get cold easily and didn't want to have to worry about how I was sitting in a skirt.

A skirt is more traditional. I am going to get one of those suit dresses and jacket things from Ann Taylor or whatever. That way I don't have to fool with a blouse and ironing and that sort of crap.

Dr.who said:

For anyone in the midwest...since Marshall Fields is selling out to the evil empire that is Macy's soon, they've been having a lot of really good sales. And, keep in mind that at higher end stores like that or Nordstrom, the tailoring is generally included in the price of the suit as opposed to paying extra for it at a discount store.

Members don't see this ad :)
hmmm why do i feel like i'm going to be the only girl in pants? :oops:

Erina said:

It is totally acceptable to be in pants. I kinda have big boobs though, so wearing a suit dress with a jacket kinda helps minimize the boobage. Also, those button up shirts are never flattering on me, and I hate to iron them. For some reason I don't mind doing my husband's shirts (they're big, he's 6'4) but mine? Bleh. :eek:

Erina said:

you won't be at all. at my interviews last year, it was about half and half almost all the time. (wow, that sounds like a government statistic...)

jackieMD2007 said:
I am going to get one of those suit dresses and jacket things from Ann Taylor or whatever. That way I don't have to fool with a blouse and ironing and that sort of crap.

YES! this is exactly what i have. suit dresses 4-eva!

Duchess742 said:

For the gals--

Skirt (about knee length) is traditional and appropriate, of course pants wouldn't be bad, but I opted for the skirt... and make sure and put an extra pair of panty hose in your purse, for 4/6 of my interviews I changed them either before or after my interview due to runs!!!!! :mad: My suit was Navy (with a subtle stripe-pattern fabric) and I wore it unbuttoned with a light blue collared shirt underneath. I got my skirt suit at Neiman Marcus outlet for under $200-- and it's a $2K Armani suit too-- very, very comfortable, made of natural wool and silk vs. polyester. Wear short-heeled comfortable closed toed pumps or shoes cuz you'll be walking around for at least half the day at most places, plus walking from your car, bus, subway, ect. :rolleyes:

Dr.who said:

an Armani colleczoni black suit would be nice :laugh:

For guys, does it have to be a suit, or will a blazer plus nice pants/shirt do it?

When it comes to color, the adcom people who have contact with students are sick of black suits. Sometimes, the entire group of applicants is in black and so somber, the place looks like a funeral parlor. :(

Ladies and gentlemen, do not be afraid of colors. Grays and blues with a subtle pattern or without are completely acceptable and conservative enough for any med school.

Get the best suit (or jacket/dress if you are a lady) you can afford (shop the sales and get a deal !) and make sure it is altered, if necessary, so that it fits.

Erina said:
You won't be, I'm definitely going the pants route too. The possibility of walking around NYC in a skirt in January makes me cold just thinking about it. This way you also don't have to worry about runs in your pantyhose (and if it's been a day or two since you've shaved, no one will notice!).

coco11 said:

Thats what I found too.
I found an awesome suit at the nordstrom half yearly sale a couple of weeks ago (only $64.97 marked down from $250!!!). I am going to get the jacket altered a little... which will add to the tab and I still need shoes.... oh, and some interview invites :oops:

for the ladies:

ann taylor loft has great deals on suits and you can purchase a jacket with matching pants and a skirt. i did that and carried my pants, skirt, and jacket with me to my interviews so i could choose what i wanted to wear the morning of. if you choose to wear pants (like i did most of the time) you'll be fine... make sure to choose shoes that you will be comfortable walking in for awhile, and shoes that'll handle icy sidewalks if you interview in the dead of winter! good luck!

Suaveness said:
For guys, does it have to be a suit, or will a blazer plus nice pants/shirt do it?

idk, in my mind, i've always thought blazer combo < suit in terms of formality. i would go with a suit

rajad10 said:
idk, in my mind, i've always thought blazer combo < suit in terms of formality. i would go with a suit

There was a time (10-15 yrs ago) when every male applicant seemed to be wearing a blue blazer and charcoal gray slacks. The alumni would show up a few weeks after the interview season and they'd be dressed exactly the same way. :laugh:

I haven't seen this look in several years....

if you're looking to pay $400 and above, i'd go with "off 5th", basically the saks fifth ave. outlet store - IF they have one in your area. I bought my suit at saks, and didn't even know off 5th existed until i went to my wayne state interview (i'm from san fran) and happened to see the store inside a mall. inside i found pretty much the exact suit i had purchased 8 months before for about $500 less.

i just realized how ridiculous the above post sounds. it doesn't matter how much your suit costs or where you get it from - as long as it looks halfway decent and you feel confident in it. i might have had a pricier suit than all the people at my interviews, but they have acceptances :laugh:

the only way i can avoid looking like a stumpy stewardess in a skirtsuit is by putting on tall sexy heels. and i can assure you, there was no way that was happening when i interviewed last year over the winter and going on long tours. i look much better in a pantsuit and went with that. the couple of time i did wear my skirt, i looked at the girls in pants with envy. also, the skirtsuit, to me, looks too traditional, like you're trying out to be a secretary. the pantsuit has more power.

but really, wear whatever you are most comfortable in. both choices are popular.

don't get something overly trendy or it'll look like it came from the macy's junior's department compared to everyone else's classic suits - at least in the northeast. yes everyone wears black but if someone dares try to stand out with a different color, they look a bit out of it. wear a bright shirt, cute shoes, and an awesome bag to be different but stay with a classic suit.

etf said:
i just realized how ridiculous the above post sounds. it doesn't matter how much your suit costs or where you get it from - as long as it looks halfway decent and you feel confident in it. i might have had a pricier suit than all the people at my interviews, but they have acceptances :laugh:

lol-- that would hold true with me and my Neiman's outlet Armani! :laugh: very nice expensive suit=waitlist!! :laugh: that's funny :luck: good luck to you getting off those waitlists!!!

ladies:

I'm planning to alternate between skirt and pant suit depending on the weather... i would recommend spending $12-15 and investing in some CK or DKNY hose with reinforced toes.. I've had some for like 2 years.. no runs!

how should girls with long hair deal with their hair... i was thinking like a nice side parted low pony tail... but black hair ties (i have dark hair) are so tacky.. any other suggestions???

and how to not look like a stumpy stewardess.. make sure your jacket fits you WELL ( a ladies suit should have a ladies waist at your natural waist) and that the sleeves are not too long.. you should have a little (1/8th of an inch) of your sleeve poking from underneath. and make sure the length of your coat is not too long...

txfisher said:
What about ties? How conservative should they be? Would a tie with designs (like a sailboat pattern, or fish pattern) be totally inappropriate?

haha :laugh: please dont wear sailboat ties.. i always think they look sooo funny.. get something with a sophisticated design like http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=196845&CategoryID=16314&LinkType=EverGreen

or

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=191375&CategoryID=16314

you can get them cheap at marshalls or tjmax or ross... :)

Suaveness said:

suits are so hot.. wear a suit.....

i dont know how im gonna get through the interviews with all these hot men walking around... ;)

For the question of skirt of pants, for me it definately will be pants. For one thing I can't stand to wear hose, I hate it! Also I would prefer to wear regular shoes over heels or even flats (I would break something in heels of any height). I am so used to jeans and slacks and I havent worn a dress or skirt since jr high. So I would be much more comfortable in a pants suit rather than a skirt suit since that is more of what I am used to.

I have a skirt-suit (skirt is just past knee length), and I am going to celebrate my first interview offer by buying a new suit...I will probably go with United Colors of Benetton...they have a really nice black pinstripe suit, and you can buy a skirt and pants that match. Although I've always wanted a suit-dress, I've never found one that looked good on me. Maybe I need to go to Ann Taylor...:p

MasterMD said:

i dont know how im gonna get through the interviews with all these hot men walking around... ;)
hahahaa, so true! especially when they wear wonderful blue shirts with their suits.

coco11 said:

Ew...I look horrible in long/knee length skirts. I'm wearing a pantsuit so that I can be comfortable and I feel more professional in them.

MasterMD said:

Agreed, yes, hot and smart men walking around!!! :D ...it's difficult but you'll make it through, socializing/flirting a little with your fellow applicants helps to relax! ;)

There have been a trillion threads on this..... but anway:

I'm a girl. I bought a grey pinstriped suit. It came with a just past knee-length skirt and pants. I wore the skirt once. I wore the pants a dozen times. There was a mixture of pants and skirts among other female applicants. I was interviewing in places like New York and Chicago in mid-winter, so pants made sense. There were some interviews where I was the only one not in black, and some where half of us had on grey, brown, navy, and/or pinstripes. At some MSTP interviews, I had to wear a suit 2 days in a row. I wore the same one with a different shirt underneath... and it wasn't even collared. I looked professional, but hey, I was poor. Don't go crazy with what you wear, but don't go crazy trying to look like an applicant lemming either.

Conservative color. Pants or skirt. Pinstripes or solid. Simple.

Basically, what you're looking for is to look sharp, but not look like you're trying to look sharp, so make the best of the conservative look. For men, wear a dark grey or blue suit--single breasted. And for God's sake, don't button the bottom button of a three or two button jacket (three is better). Make sure you're wearing a nice shirt with tabs (not buttons) in the collar and enough room for a good knot (I like the half-windsor) but not an extreme spread collar. Solid colors are best. Light grey, blue or white is good. French cuffs are a little showy. Don't tie a four-in-hand, it's tacky. And make sure the two corners on the left and right of the bottom of your tie (which is a nice somewhat shiny silk with a pattern, no boats) are even with the top of your belt buckle. Make sure your shirt doesn't bunch up in the front. The biggest mistake I see applicants make is to wear shoes that are too casual. Your shoes should have leather soles, round tips (not square) and thin leather. The built up cushioning of a shoe made for comfortable walking like Rockports or Eccos (I happen to love my Ecco loafers for more casual use) is great for walking but doesn't look as sharp as a true dress shoe. Nordstrom sells a good basic dress shoe that's not too expensive. Black or dark brown for a grey suit and dark brown for a navy blue suit. Your belt should match. Oh, and shine your shoes, duh.

In my experience, there tend to be many more failures among men than women. The biggest was a short guy in a brown doublebreasted pinstriped suit with a big spread collar housing a crappy knot of a very ugly tie. His head had so much product it was like an oil slick.

Men's Warehouse is pretty good. They are helpful as well. I had to get a few more expensive suits. (I dropped about 1500 dollars on suits...not counting ties and shirts) They will go through and help match colors and maximize the different looks you can get with a few different things. You also get a card when you purchase it and for every so many dollars you get a gift certificate.. I've gotten about 200 bucks worth of gift certificates. Got me some perty clubbin shirts.

Just show up in pajamas! It shows confidence in yourself and it reveals a unique personality and someone who is not afraid to take chances!

Brainsucker said:
And for God's sake, don't button the bottom button of a three or two button jacket (three is better).
GREAT advice. And if you are the sort that thinks buttoning all buttons is cool, after you undo the bottom one, take out the pocket protector.

And I'd modify Brainsucker's advice to only recommend three button jackets if you have the height to pull it off. If you're a shorter guy, do not go with three button. It doesn't work.

And don't go with the four button look unless you're REALLY tall. Few guys can pull it off well, and most that I've seen have been exiting an NBA bus.

MossPoh said:
Men's Warehouse is pretty good.
Even when I had a good paycheck, I would go to Men's Warehouse. You can get a lot of suit for your price.

And if you get a decent salesperson, tell them what you're going for and turn it over to them. They'll give you an array of shirt colors and ties that go with your suit. Most guys (myself fully included) can't match colors well with their suit, especially ties.

Conservative dress doesn't have to mean you look like every other applicant, so be comfortable with a little originality.

Dr.who said:

No, you could get one in black, too. ;)

Would it be horribly inappropriate to wear a red fish, blue fish tie?

oneredfish.jpg