Professional but comfortable

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Mozzo said:
[For men, wear a dark grey or blue suit--]

How about a brown suit for guys? Everyone says black or navy blue or gray, but frankly, I look best in brown (with a solid red tie, which also seems to be unacceptable). I figured, I'd be different with this setup, yet not flashy. What do you all think?
Brown suit? If you're talking brown brown, just don't wear a wide tie because you'll look like Napoleon Dynamite (Gosh!)
Question though, what do people think about being too fashionable. I mean I have some really fashionable tie/shirt combinations and my Dolce shoes are on the "urban" side. Do you guys think it would be bad to be a little too fashionable, and should rather go for something a little more conservative?

FYI I'm currently giggling because everyone says slacks - such a funny little word.

Members don't see this ad.

sintheta said:
is hose a must for girls? if so, black sheer or "skin colored"? can you carry your purse along throughout the interview day?
I am wearing "skin colored" hose. And yes, I believe it is a must.

RDood said:
Brown suit? If you're talking brown brown, just don't wear a wide tie because you'll look like Napoleon Dynamite (Gosh!)
Question though, what do people think about being too fashionable. I mean I have some really fashionable tie/shirt combinations and my Dolce shoes are on the "urban" side. Do you guys think it would be bad to be a little too fashionable, and should rather go for something a little more conservative?

FYI I'm currently giggling because everyone says slacks - such a funny little word.

I spoke to an admissions rep from Hopkins about this last night (I actually ran into him at Jos. A Bank while i was picking out my med school interview suit) and he said that a conservative dark suit, blue, black, dark grey (nothing too flashy) will do. A dark shirt or white with a conservative tie. RED OR BLUE (tie). Look respectable and let your personality and qualifications impress them, not your fashion statement. no necklaces or open collars.....turn off all cell phones and make sure the tie is all the way up. I think thats about it......

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry to be redundant - - but for girls is it definitely mandatory to have hair up in a ponytail? i was thinking it would be good to have it away from my face in order to avoid nervous hair flicking, but i was thinking like half up with a clip thing or maybe like a headband. i hate this! lol the rest of my outfit is done so i prob shouldnt complain, but still - - what a hassle!

DE12MD said:
sorry to be redundant - - but for girls is it definitely mandatory to have hair up in a ponytail? i was thinking it would be good to have it away from my face in order to avoid nervous hair flicking, but i was thinking like half up with a clip thing or maybe like a headband. i hate this! lol the rest of my outfit is done so i prob shouldnt complain, but still - - what a hassle!

nothing is mandatory. wear your hear in whatever way you want so long as it looks nice.

my hair will probably be down.

Dr.who said:
Well, July 14 is Nordstrom's Anniversary Sale - which means it's high time to start thinking about the suit I need to buy for interviews. The thing is, I'm a grassroots, laid back kind of guy, and I'll only dress in overpriced, stuffy clothing if I have to. Do I really need to get a $400 suit in blue or grey? What's protocol? What's proper?

It's done; it's actually done...or is it just beginning?

You are talking about a Nordstrom's sale and then say you are laid back and will "only dress in overpriced...clothing if i have to." This statement is extremely ironic.

Get a suit at Kohl's. Yes, a suit is required.

OSUdoc08 said:
You are talking about a Nordstrom's sale and then say you are laid back and will "only dress in overpriced...clothing if i have to." This statement is extremely ironic.

Get a suit at Kohl's. Yes, a suit is required.
Uh Nordstrom's isn't overpriced. They don't mark stuff up as much as other retailers to start with so they don't have as many sales, but when they do they take a minimum of 30% off the original price, and the original price is only double the amount they paid to buy the item in the first place compared to 3 times the manufacturer's price at other retailers. So for example, say an item is retailed for $100. At Nordstrom they paid $50 to get the item. At other retailers they only paid $25 to get a $100 item. Then when sale time comes around, say everyone takes 30% off that $100 item so now the price is $70. Nordstrom only makes $20 off the sale of that item, but other retailers are making $45 off a $100 item (which probably wasn't worth $100 to start with due to inferior quality).

What about wearing the same suit and tie combo to the interview that you wore for your application photo?

Bad idea or does it not even matter? I swear threads like these make me paranoid for no reason :laugh:

Bedpan Commando said:
What about wearing the same suit and tie combo to the interview that you wore for your application photo?

Bad idea or does it not even matter? I swear threads like these make me paranoid for no reason :laugh:

As long as both are professional, I doubt it matters. At least the interviewer will know they have the right person in front of them (if they even look at the application photo). :)

As for a shirt under my suit, I'm going with a tube top. I know this sounds crazy, but it looks really nice (the straight across-ness) under my jacket, which has an interesting collar/opening. Scoopneck and button up shirts looked terrible under it, so I'm just going with what looks good. Only thing is, can't take that jacket off!!!

I just got back from a frighteningly disappointing mall run looking for nice/comfy shoes. UGH!

okieee, it's good to know most of you girls seem to be wearing plain tops under the suit blazer as opposed to a button down collared shirt (they look so funny on me).. I talked to the pre-med advisors at our career center, though, and they still advise us to wear the collared shirt so it's just making me paranoid! are there any girls that are wearing collared shirts under their coats? and if yes, and does it actually look normal?????

I saw a couple of hundred women on interview day last year. I have no recollection of the proportion who wore pullover tops vs. collared blouses. Frankly, the interviewers have much more to worry about than whether the applicant is wearing a blouse or a jersey.

I'd say "don't show cleavage" but that's me. Some of the interviewers might enjoy the view.

kiwibasket said:
As for a shirt under my suit, I'm going with a tube top. I know this sounds crazy, but it looks really nice (the straight across-ness) under my jacket, which has an interesting collar/opening. Scoopneck and button up shirts looked terrible under it, so I'm just going with what looks good. Only thing is, can't take that jacket off!!!

Look for a top with a square neckline. This will give you the same look with the comfort of knowing that you can take the jacket off in the unlikely event of a beverage spill or other problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
Skaterbabe74 said:
Uh Nordstrom's isn't overpriced. They don't mark stuff up as much as other retailers to start with so they don't have as many sales, but when they do they take a minimum of 30% off the original price, and the original price is only double the amount they paid to buy the item in the first place compared to 3 times the manufacturer's price at other retailers. So for example, say an item is retailed for $100. At Nordstrom they paid $50 to get the item. At other retailers they only paid $25 to get a $100 item. Then when sale time comes around, say everyone takes 30% off that $100 item so now the price is $70. Nordstrom only makes $20 off the sale of that item, but other retailers are making $45 off a $100 item (which probably wasn't worth $100 to start with due to inferior quality).

Nordstrom's is one of the more expensive department stores and is notably more expensive than Foley's, Dillard's, Sears, and JC Penney's.

Kohl's is cheaper than all of these.

OSUdoc08 said:
Nordstrom's is one of the more expensive department stores and is notably more expensive than Foley's, Dillard's, Sears, and JC Penney's.

Kohl's is cheaper than all of these.
No if you actually compare the original prices of the exact same item from the exact same manufactuerer at Nordstrom, Foley's, Dillards, etc it is not mroe expensive. The problem is finding the exact same item from the exact same manufacturer because Nordstrom carries more higher quality items than the lower dept stores. Dillards is the closest to Nordstrom in that regard. The others all sell crap labels - that's why they are cheaper. Nordstrom is definitely cheaper than Sacks and Macy's who carry more similar items than Dillards, Foley's, Sears, Penny's, and Kohl's.

Skaterbabe74 said:
No if you actually compare the original prices of the exact same item from the exact same manufactuerer at Nordstrom, Foley's, Dillards, etc it is not mroe expensive. The problem is finding the exact same item from the exact same manufacturer because Nordstrom carries more higher quality items than the lower dept stores. Dillards is the closest to Nordstrom in that regard. The others all sell crap labels - that's why they are cheaper. Nordstrom is definitely cheaper than Sacks and Macy's who carry more similar items than Dillards, Foley's, Sears, Penny's, and Kohl's.

Either way Kohl's is the cheapest. They have all the quality I need.

If you think a cheap suit is better than a nice one, hey, more power to you. The rest of us prefer to look good.

jocg27 said:
Also I'm not sure 3 buttons is always better for a men's suit. It's sort of trendier, I guess, but it doesn't work on everyone..like someone said, the bigger/taller a guy you are the better it is to have the extra buttoms. 2's a little more traditional and works on anyone..
Jcog and Blondie, you're right about three buttons being bad for short guys. I'm 5'11" and they look good on me, but I can see that if I were 5'7", things would be different. Hell, this depends on the suit, too. There are a good number of ugly 3 button suits and attractive 2 buttons. 3 buttons just tend to be better for guys of average to tall build.

We don't agree on shoes, though. The shoes should be darker than the suit, but beyond that, you're fine with brown shoes for a grey or blue suit. See:

http://men.style.com/gq/fashion/styleguy/shoes/498

http://men.style.com/gq/fashion/styleguy/shoes/467

Obviously you might not agree with him any more than you agree with me, but he's not a bad reflection of (mostly) conventional wisdom. I do wonder, if you can't wear brown shoes with grey or blue suits, then when can you wear them? (Yeah yeah, khakis...) The more interesting question is that of the blue shoes, which I will never own. I feel like they're not going to match exactly with your blue suit so they'll look off...so...grey suit with blue shirt, I guess.

ok i have a suit related question, im not sure how to transport my suit, i really dont want to bring a suit bag because those are a pain to carry around and i want to travel light, ive never wore a suit on an airplane, im on 4 hour flight so would sitting that long make too many creases?

ok i have a suit related question, im not sure how to transport my suit, i really dont want to bring a suit bag because those are a pain to carry around and i want to travel light, ive never wore a suit on an airplane, im on 4 hour flight so would sitting that long make too many creases?
I bought one of those little rolling carry-on bags that has a suit carrier in it. That was I could pack my suit, only folded over once or twice, and not have to carry around a garment bag. I've been to two interviews (and it's been in my bag folded for 8+ hours at a time) and I've had no crease problems. Another trick regarding creases is to keep it in a plastic garment bag, and when you fold the suit to trap some air in the bag, which sort of helps to cushion the suit and prevent wrinkles.

Any thoughts on wearing military dress blues? I know I would definetly stand out- just not sure if it would be in a positive or negative way.

By the way I am female and would be wearing the knee length skirt with blazer (both navy blue) and a light blue long sleeve shirt underneath. Hair must be up in a bun due to length.

I'm proud of my service, but don't want negative stereotypes about military to ruin a chance at a great first impression.

Any thought?

Go for it.

I've interviewed one applicant in a military uniform this year and no one in the adcom/Dean's office had a negative word to say about the uniform.

I bought one of those little rolling carry-on bags that has a suit carrier in it. That was I could pack my suit, only folded over once or twice, and not have to carry around a garment bag. I've been to two interviews (and it's been in my bag folded for 8+ hours at a time) and I've had no crease problems. Another trick regarding creases is to keep it in a plastic garment bag, and when you fold the suit to trap some air in the bag, which sort of helps to cushion the suit and prevent wrinkles.

Another trick is to not fold the suit but to place the garments half in and half out of the bottom of the bag. Place your other clothing on top and then fold the pants and jacket over the other items. Rather than being creased they are sideways U's. This has worked well for me.

GREAT advice. And if you are the sort that thinks buttoning all buttons is cool, after you undo the bottom one, take out the pocket protector.

And I'd modify Brainsucker's advice to only recommend three button jackets if you have the height to pull it off. If you're a shorter guy, do not go with three button. It doesn't work.
And don't go with the four button look unless you're REALLY tall. Few guys can pull it off well, and most that I've seen have been exiting an NBA bus.

I would disagree - the three button actually elongates the body, which makes the shorter guy look taller. The two button, which is more traditional - works best with taller men.

For the shorter guys, it's all about increasing your height perception. Two and Three button, single-breasted is standard, everything else will be too trendy.

Basically, you'd want a pleatless, low-rise, un-cuffed pair of pants with a nicely fitted three-button, single breasted jacket. The euro-cut works best for the shorter and slimmer types. Anderson Cooper wears euro-cut suits (i think).

OK, I've worn a gray suit for my interviews so far, but I was actually considering wearing a darker, olive colored suit (which I already own) for the remaining interviews. It's nice and dark, and I have a excellent matching ties, but now I'm having serious second thoughts!

i will be wearing a skirt of modest length. looks much, much better on a girl.

Not on me. Dear god, no! I look very tall and weird in a skirt.

Plus, I just feel more comfortable and confident in pants. And that matters more than anything, it really helps me in interviews.

Finally, those that I meet in my neck of the woods seem to prefer girls wearing pants as more serious/liberal ;).

For the gals--

Skirt (about knee length) is traditional and appropriate, of course pants wouldn't be bad, but I opted for the skirt... and make sure and put an extra pair of panty hose in your purse, for 4/6 of my interviews I changed them either before or after my interview due to runs!!!!! :mad: My suit was Navy (with a subtle stripe-pattern fabric) and I wore it unbuttoned with a light blue collared shirt underneath. I got my skirt suit at Neiman Marcus outlet for under $200-- and it's a $2K Armani suit too-- very, very comfortable, made of natural wool and silk vs. polyester. Wear short-heeled comfortable closed toed pumps or shoes cuz you'll be walking around for at least half the day at most places, plus walking from your car, bus, subway, ect. :rolleyes:

Do I have to wear hosiery? (I've literally never, ever worn them.) Also, I have kitty heels that are black, closed-toe with a flat bow on the toes, and they have a subtle white sewing pattern at the toe too. Are those ok?

Rise, Zombie thread! Wake for All Hallow's Eve!!

Clatto! Verata! .....necktie.....

Rise, Zombie thread! Wake for All Hallow's Eve!!

Clatto! Verata! .....necktie.....
zombie1.jpg

does this tie be okay for interview? rrrrawr brainz.