Professional but comfortable

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Billy Shears said:
Would it be horribly inappropriate to wear a red fish, blue fish tie?
Hope you have a killer MCAT, Billy...

Members don't see this ad.

Billy Shears said:
Would it be horribly inappropriate to wear a red fish, blue fish tie?

oneredfish.jpg

I think its cute... go for it!

Plus, wont the fish be hidden if your jacket is butttoned?

Members don't see this ad :)
Until I unbutton it when I sit down. I love that tie. I'll probably wear it for good luck, lol.

im lovin the advice so far...anybody have advice for shirts for guys? I'll probably have a charcoalish suit and was thinking white shirt, but I think color would be fun too...

modelslashactor said:
im lovin the advice so far...anybody have advice for shirts for guys? I'll probably have a charcoalish suit and was thinking white shirt, but I think color would be fun too...
I personally like a light grey, but blue would be a safe and sharp choice.

Billy Shears said:
Until I unbutton it when I sit down. I love that tie. I'll probably wear it for good luck, lol.
Might as well wear a bowtie.

jbrice1639 said:
For anyone in the midwest...since Marshall Fields is selling out to the evil empire that is Macy's soon, they've been having a lot of really good sales. And, keep in mind that at higher end stores like that or Nordstrom, the tailoring is generally included in the price of the suit as opposed to paying extra for it at a discount store.

Macy's is buying EVERYONE. aren't there anti-trust laws for this? here in pittsburgh they bought Lazurus AND Kaufmann's, so now all our malls have these empty department stores. They took down the historic Kaufmanns sign downtown and when people complained they said soon we'd all love the Macy' s sign isntead. Yeah, maybe in a hundred years. Jerks.

I haven't gotten my suit yet but I'm hoping for the dress kind Jackie mentioned. My main concern is my hair. I think I'm going to get it cut to a more appropriate length. I've been a stay-at-home mom for acouple years now so looking attractive is something I have to get used to again. :thumbdown:

MasterMD said:
ladies:

I'm planning to alternate between skirt and pant suit depending on the weather... i would recommend spending $12-15 and investing in some CK or DKNY hose with reinforced toes.. I've had some for like 2 years.. no runs!

how should girls with long hair deal with their hair... i was thinking like a nice side parted low pony tail... but black hair ties (i have dark hair) are so tacky.. any other suggestions???

and how to not look like a stumpy stewardess.. make sure your jacket fits you WELL ( a ladies suit should have a ladies waist at your natural waist) and that the sleeves are not too long.. you should have a little (1/8th of an inch) of your sleeve poking from underneath. and make sure the length of your coat is not too long...

my sister said to pull some hair out and wrap it around the ponytail tie to cover it up and then secure it with a pin.

Slightly off-white to grey would be ok, or light blue....plenty of starch.

Now is not the time for French cuffs and links....stick with regular button cuffs. Watch and maybe a class ring as the only visible jewelry.

I'm 5'8" with an athletic build and a thick neck, so half windsor is the knot I use...full windsor is too thick. My girlfriend bought me a black/silver lime green striped tie to go with my black suit. A nice mix of conservative and flair.

Codicle: guys, let your girlfriends buy your clothes....it makes life easier.

modelslashactor said:

TCIrish03 said:
Watch and maybe a class ring as the only visible jewelry.

The ND class ring is definitely a necessary accessory.

ND2005 said:
The ND class ring is definitely a necessary accessory.

Most definitely. Medium 10K with the blue stone and monogram?

Where's Beijing and Across when you need sartorial advice?

MiesVanDerMom said:
Macy's is buying EVERYONE. aren't there anti-trust laws for this? here in pittsburgh they bought Lazurus AND Kaufmann's, so now all our malls have these empty department stores. They took down the historic Kaufmanns sign downtown and when people complained they said soon we'd all love the Macy' s sign isntead. Yeah, maybe in a hundred years. Jerks.

I haven't been back to Pittsburgh lately, but I had heard all about this from my mother-in-law. What a bunch of BS...I can't believe they've gotten rid of Kaufmann's.

Members don't see this ad :)
General fashion conservatism is favorable. You never know who you will interview, and some of us old fogeys really get distracted :eek: if you go a bit out of norm. You don't want to be remembered negatively as the person who had no fashion sense or lacked professionalism as shown by clothing choices. To that effect, why not go to a hospital and check out what the more entrenched docs are wearing. Just don't go to the pediatrics ward.

An interesting article on one of my other favorite career sites on "Advice to Interviewees: Cover Up the Cleavage."

i dont know if this is true or not, but i heard that for girls a hollister or abercrombie short jean skirt is desirable, and thus helps exponentially in the interview process. could be just a rumor tho.

Spend the money to look great. It can really help your confidence on the interview day if you are dressed to the nines. I dropped $2K on two suits along with another $1200 on new shoes, ties and belt for interviews. Fine Italian leather and best quality silk. I walked into those interviews with calm and confidence. It really helped in my mind. It should be mentioned that I am an older student with some resources so this was not a real sacrafice for me.

Dr.who said:
Well, July 14 is Nordstrom's Anniversary Sale - which means it's high time to start thinking about the suit I need to buy for interviews. The thing is, I'm a grassroots, laid back kind of guy, and I'll only dress in overpriced, stuffy clothing if I have to. Do I really need to get a $400 suit in blue or grey? What's protocol? What's proper?

It's done; it's actually done...or is it just beginning?

danjo said:
I haven't been back to Pittsburgh lately, but I had heard all about this from my mother-in-law. What a bunch of BS...I can't believe they've gotten rid of Kaufmann's.

No ****, I'm from Pittsburgh too, born and raised. You've heard then how McClatchy refused to sell the Pirates to Mark Cuban, and is rather content to set on a cash cow while the team sucks?

TCIrish03 said:
No ****, I'm from Pittsburgh too, born and raised. You've heard then how McClatchy refused to sell the Pirates to Mark Cuban, and is rather content to set on a cash cow while the team sucks?

Yeah...unbelievable. The taxpayers didn't even want PNC Park to be built...elected officials decided to go against the vote, and look where it has gotten them...

Next we'll hear about how Bill Cowher is on the chopping block.

for girls: united colors of benetton has the best suits i've seen in all my suit shopping, and they're reasonably priced and tend to go on sale from time to time too! if you get the navy or the dark gray one w/ lace at the bottom of the skirt, don't wear it if we interview together ;)

Duchess742 said:
if you get the navy or the dark gray one w/ lace at the bottom of the skirt, don't wear it if we interview together ;)

Jackie,

You can definitely wear this if we interview together! ;)

danjo said:
Jackie,

You can definitely wear this if we interview together! ;)

Dan,

Sweetheart. The only kind of lace I wear goes UNDER the skirt/scrubs. Remember, I went to Catholic school. I know how to be conservative. :laugh:

Yours,
J

jackieMD2007 said:
Dan,

Sweetheart. The only kind of lace I wear goes UNDER the skirt/scrubs. Remember, I went to Catholic school. I know how to be conservative. :laugh:

Yours,
J

Can't fault me for wishful thinking can you?

i love how all of my recent posts have inspired jackie-danjo flirtation :rolleyes:
get a room, you two...

What about bags? What kind? What color? How big? :eek: :eek: So many details to be worked out...

Califlower said:
What about bags? What kind? What color? How big? :eek: :eek: So many details to be worked out...

I got a big-ish bag that'll hold everything I normally have in my purse plus the infamous leather folder. My suite is charcoal grey and my bag is black... I dunno man, I hate this game.

Erina said:
hmmm why do i feel like i'm going to be the only girl in pants? :oops:

I'm pretty sure I'll be in pants too...though I haven't picked anything out yet. I am applying to a lot of places that may be cold in the fall/winter/spring...yeah midwest :)

leahmaria said:
I'm pretty sure I'll be in pants too...though I haven't picked anything out yet. I am applying to a lot of places that may be cold in the fall/winter/spring...yeah midwest :)

can't risk chapped lips :rolleyes:

MasterMD said:
ladies:

I'm planning to alternate between skirt and pant suit depending on the weather... i would recommend spending $12-15 and investing in some CK or DKNY hose with reinforced toes.. I've had some for like 2 years.. no runs!

how should girls with long hair deal with their hair... i was thinking like a nice side parted low pony tail... but black hair ties (i have dark hair) are so tacky.. any other suggestions???

and how to not look like a stumpy stewardess.. make sure your jacket fits you WELL ( a ladies suit should have a ladies waist at your natural waist) and that the sleeves are not too long.. you should have a little (1/8th of an inch) of your sleeve poking from underneath. and make sure the length of your coat is not too long...

If you don't mind having your hair semi-down, you can use the spider clips to pull it out of your face. Also, the really big barettes (Clare's is really nice for the extra-large size ones if you have thick hair) to hold back pony-tails. You can get them in all sorts of designs, so they're not the classic hair tie, and they still succeed in keeping your hair out of the way.

Suaveness said:
For guys, does it have to be a suit, or will a blazer plus nice pants/shirt do it?

I would go suit. I don't think they will decline you if you show up in a nice blazer, but a suit is more professional

I've got another clothing question, and rather than start a new thread I thought I'd put it in here.

For girls, should we get a 1-button or 3-button suit? Or does it not matter? (and why don't they make suits with two buttons?) And color-wise, would a black pinstripe suit be okay?

another clothing-related question....

in the winter months, do we have to get a trenchcoat, or will it not matter what coat we wear since we take it off before the interview?

geno2568 said:
another clothing-related question....

in the winter months, do we have to get a trenchcoat, or will it not matter what coat we wear since we take it off before the interview?

eh, I think the big thing here is don't have your coat shorter than your suit jacket...

DF38 said:
I've got another clothing question, and rather than start a new thread I thought I'd put it in here.

For girls, should we get a 1-button or 3-button suit? Or does it not matter? (and why don't they make suits with two buttons?) And color-wise, would a black pinstripe suit be okay?

They do make 2 button suits for women, but I think the 1-button and 3-button are equally "in" this year, which is probably why you haven't seen many with 2. But honestly, I think the button rules are a little more lax for girls than for guys... just wear what looks good on you! :luck:

Brainsucker most of your dress advice is good, but NOT the shoe color. For a gray suit black first and a cordovan possible, never brown. For a navy suit I'd use the same choice. I'd only put a brown shoe with navy slacks if it was paired with a shirt or tie that had introduced brown through a stripe or pattern.

Do you all think black is classy and appropriate? Or is it boring and too common? I am debating between navy, dark gray, or black. Any opinions?

Also, what sort of shirt goes underneath? A light colored blouse? I hate dressing up!

CavalierMD said:
They do make 2 button suits for women, but I think the 1-button and 3-button are equally "in" this year, which is probably why you haven't seen many with 2. But honestly, I think the button rules are a little more lax for girls than for guys... just wear what looks good on you! :luck:
Thanks for the opinion! :thumbup:

Any other thoughts?

booswim542 said:
Do you all think black is classy and appropriate? Or is it boring and too common? I am debating between navy, dark gray, or black. Any opinions?

Also, what sort of shirt goes underneath? A light colored blouse? I hate dressing up!

I think black is fine, but a little overdone @ these interviews, I know I've heard LizzyM (adcom) say on SDN that she'd pick just about anything over plain black, I chose navy, and I think it looked classy, so if I were you, I'd go w/ navy or dark gray...even subtle patterns/stripes would be ok.

underneath, I'd say a nice conservative blouse, button-down or not... I chose a bold color underneath mine, a very bright blue and then white (only "bold" b/c it contrasted w/ the navy), personally I wouldn't chose anything too pale, like like light pink or something, I tried on several blouses and thought light pink seemed a bit too "wimpy", I'd choose more of a "power" color, like a bold red or fuschia, but again... it really depends on you though, and what would look good w/ your skin tone.

Also, I know you didn't ask this, but make sure you wear closed-toed shoes, I think it just looks more professional, even if they are like a mary-jane or wedge style rather than a traditional pump (those are fine too obviously) as long as they are closed-toed.

Good Luck! :luck:

DF38 said:
Thanks for the opinion! :thumbup:

Any other thoughts?

If you are short, go with fewer buttons (only because they often mean shorter jackets). A longer jacket can really consume a short, thin girl. However, fit is most important here.

DF38 said:

From what i've heard, if you're on the busty side, you might want to get a 3 button because it'll hold you in better, give the jacket better structure, and not make your chest seem so out there. I can also verify this from my own experience. :cool: Although I did actually end up getting a one button suit in the end, it was a longer jacket and had a lot of structure on it's own. So I guess in the end, just try a bunch on and see what looks best.

blondie68 said:
Brainsucker most of your dress advice is good, but NOT the shoe color. For a gray suit black first and a cordovan possible, never brown. For a navy suit I'd use the same choice. I'd only put a brown shoe with navy slacks if it was paired with a shirt or tie that had introduced brown through a stripe or pattern.

I agree, and was a little surprised when I got to that part because I mostly agreed with what he was saying. I'd say black is most often the best bet.

Also I'm not sure 3 buttons is always better for a men's suit. It's sort of trendier, I guess, but it doesn't work on everyone..like someone said, the bigger/taller a guy you are the better it is to have the extra buttoms. 2's a little more traditional and works on anyone..

I know this topic is kind of old now, but I just have a quick question about what kind of blouse to wear Under the suit.. I've got a black pinstriped pant suit, and have been trying to find something to wear underneathe the coat. Are girls usually supposed to wear button up collared shirts under their coats because it looks more professional? I tried that and it seriously makes me look like a boy. Are most of you girls wearing plain solid colored blouses with a round neck and no buttons? Or are you wearing the buttoned up collar shirts??? Thanks!!!

jellybean07 said:
I know this topic is kind of old now, but I just have a quick question about what kind of blouse to wear Under the suit.. I've got a black pinstriped pant suit, and have been trying to find something to wear underneathe the coat. Are girls usually supposed to wear button up collared shirts under their coats because it looks more professional? I tried that and it seriously makes me look like a boy. Are most of you girls wearing plain solid colored blouses with a round neck and no buttons? Or are you wearing the buttoned up collar shirts??? Thanks!!!

I'm not wearing a button up shirt. My suit came with a plain white shell (the suit is charcoal)... I plan on wearing a pale pink cable-knit shell with a round neck instead... for the colder months, I have a turtle-neck shell in light grey... just wear what looks good! :luck:

I also will be wearing a shell under my suit. Right now, I have two - one pale pink and the other light turquoise, and both are a light/silky sweatery material.

DF38 said:
I also will be wearing a shell under my suit. Right now, I have two - one pale pink and the other light turquoise, and both are a light/silky sweatery material.

is hose a must for girls? if so, black sheer or "skin colored"? can you carry your purse along throughout the interview day?

is anyone else concerned about this Texas heat???? I can imagine walking around in this dress suit baking in the 106 degree heat! Not to mention showing up to the interview sweaty and smelly arrrgghh on top of already being extremely nervous.

ozwzrd said:
is anyone else concerned about this Texas heat???? I can imagine walking around in this dress suit baking in the 106 degree heat! Not to mention showing up to the interview sweaty and smelly arrrgghh on top of already being extremely nervous.

Yep!
I'm planning on wearing a black suit that is fairly thick, which will really suck. I wish they would just give a Powerpoint tour of campus from a nice air conditioned auditorium. :laugh:

[For men, wear a dark grey or blue suit--]

How about a brown suit for guys? Everyone says black or navy blue or gray, but frankly, I look best in brown (with a solid red tie, which also seems to be unacceptable). I figured, I'd be different with this setup, yet not flashy. What do you all think?

Mozzo said:
[For men, wear a dark grey or blue suit--]

How about a brown suit for guys? Everyone says black or navy blue or gray, but frankly, I look best in brown (with a solid red tie, which also seems to be unacceptable). I figured, I'd be different with this setup, yet not flashy. What do you all think?

I think that sound fine, but I'd go with a patterned tie if it's gonna be red, less stuffy looking.