Comfortable shoes.......

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CuriousPharmD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need people's advice on what type of shoes to get for a pharmacy tech. job that requires standing for 8 hours. My feet are killing me after a full 8 hour day and by the end of the week my feet and legs hurt so much and the pain even goes up my back.

Members don't see this ad.

We had a thread going about shoes a while back, but the search function isn't working for me right now or I'd find it for you.

I think there are lots of us here that have been trying to find the perfect shoe and it really just comes down to personal preference. I ended up buying a pair of Dankso clogs and also a pair of Klog brand clogs. I started switching into the softer Klogs after lunch and it's really helped my feet. Some people alternate shoes on different days, but for me changing at lunch seems to work. My feet still hurt, but not quite as bad.

pharmagirl said:
We had a thread going about shoes a while back, but the search function isn't working for me right now or I'd find it for you.

I think there are lots of us here that have been trying to find the perfect shoe and it really just comes down to personal preference. I ended up buying a pair of Dankso clogs and also a pair of Klog brand clogs. I started switching into the softer Klogs after lunch and it's really helped my feet. Some people alternate shoes on different days, but for me changing at lunch seems to work. My feet still hurt, but not quite as bad.

Are there other types of shoes besides clogs that would help???? I find clogs more appropriate for females rather then males. I would rather continue to deal with foot pain than wear clogs......

Members don't see this ad :)
sexyshoe187223086475cv.jpg

CuriousPharmD said:
Are there other types of shoes besides clogs that would help???? I find clogs more appropriate for females rather then males. I would rather continue to deal with foot pain than wear clogs......
Can you wear running shoes or do you have to be more dressed up than that? I find that New Balance shoes are really comfortable. I think they key is switching the shoes every other day or something like that.

CuriousPharmD said:

Put some gellin' insoles into your sneakers.

pharmagirl said:

I do the same thing. I find that the Dansko's are better for walking around (like going shopping) and the Klogs are better for standing in one place... I often split the day with the two pair.

Men can wear clogs a-ok. I get compliments on mine all the time.

Is there any other comfortable shoes out there besided clogs or any of the others mentioned in this thread that would be appropriate for men?? Thanks..

Members don't see this ad :)
My father's been a pharmacist for over 30 years, and he swears by Rockports. I plan on getting a pair for myself soon. He has his resoled every now and then, but you can keep a good pair for awhile before having to buy a new pair.

bananaface said:
Beware the dress code. Alot of places won't allow sneakers or certain styles of shoes. One place I worked are required them to be black and shineable. Yuck.

EEWWW

Is that the same place that said that women must wear make up?

dgroulx said:
Is that the same place that said that women must wear make up?

That place sounds pretty ******ed. I wonder how often they get sued.

bananaface said:
Beware the dress code. Alot of places won't allow sneakers or certain styles of shoes. One place I worked are required them to be black and shineable. Yuck.

Yeah...there's actually a similar dress code about shoes that can be shined at a place I work, yet I wear my Vans to work. :D

Im crying right now. Dont tell me I have to get rid of my 60+ pairs of heels??? :D But I have feet of steel and have stood in 4 inch pointy stelletos for 8 hours. It actually hurts my back to wear flats. Im either barefoot or in heels. :oops:

DownonthePharm said:
Im crying right now. Dont tell me I have to get rid of my 60+ pairs of heels??? :D But I have feet of steel and have stood in 4 inch pointy stelletos for 8 hours. It actually hurts my back to wear flats. Im either barefoot or in heels. :oops:

Imelda Marcos!! Is that you?

best shoes: New Balance - Tyson black...

If sneakers are allowed in the dress code, I would suggest running shoes with shocks and tons of padding.

It is definitely a good idea to get shoes as comfortable as possible... 40hrs/wk on my feet all day was killing my feet and lower back.

Im crying right now. Dont tell me I have to get rid of my 60+ pairs of heels??? But I have feet of steel and have stood in 4 inch pointy stelletos for 8 hours. It actually hurts my back to wear flats. Im either barefoot or in heels.

When I worked as a bank teller (again standing all day) ALL of the girls wore heels starting out to match our outfits... but after awhile no one could handle it and everybody invested in a few pairs of ballet flats. I would occasionally wear my 4 inchers if I only had to come in for a few hours though :D .

Must be something about being a bank teller. That was the job I was talking about too. But I never stopped wearing them. Guess Ill have to downgrade to a kitten heel. ;)

ZpackSux said:
Imelda Marcos!! Is that you?

HAHHAAH...cracking me up..and that pix of that hidious foot is disgusting!!

tennismn said:
My father's been a pharmacist for over 30 years, and he swears by Rockports. I plan on getting a pair for myself soon. He has his resoled every now and then, but you can keep a good pair for awhile before having to buy a new pair.

what kind of rockports? is it like a sneaker kind?
my bf wears new balance sneaks but they've flattened out b/c he's on his feet so long and working long hrs....he also didn't want clogs...thought they were more for females..

Again, I'd go with Merrils. They don't have the name that Rockport does and are expensive, but I never liked Rockports- the ones I used to have felt like rocks.

I know a pharmacist who wears them. Try them out in a shoe store!

Rockport World Tour Classic

I have the coolest Kenneth Cole Reaction Clogs...but they are fairly old now and it has been dc'd. Kinda devastated about it.

Recently got a pair of these... it's comfortable but not as stylish as KC's.
But what the heck does it matter when I'm running around in my scrubs.

clogs6vm.jpg
[/URL]

Birkenstock makes a great clog style shoe that a lot of Chef's wear, realy feel good on the feet after long hours. I myself am a bartender where all we do is stand all night long, no chance for even a short sit down break. I used Rockports for a while they were nice, but definitely try the birkenstock clogs they are great.

hahahaha.... i love that styly pump, and the lovely foot

i stand all day, 14 hours shifts... i did one time 21 days straight. varicose vein started to show...make sure u wear support socks/hoses

-When I worked inpatient, and ran around refilling omnicells, and in outpatient, where we filled 800 scripts a day, I always wore skater shoes. Not too flashy ones, they were brown DVS shoes, but they were really comfy. The only problem with skater shoes is that the heels wear out, but mine wore out after about a year, so I guess that's not too bad in the grand scheme of things.

-Insoles are ok for the first couple weeks, but then they start sucking.

-Nursing clogs are meh. They're good if you're standing all the time, bad if you're running around and getting on your tippy-toes and crazy balls-to-the-wall crap. And while we're speaking of clogs, you *could* get Crocs, but then again, you *could* get your ass laughed at/made fun of. That, and most places frown upon fluorescent colored footwear.

-In any case...you'll get used to it, and eventually standing on your feet for 8 hours aint no thing at all. When I first started, my boss yelled at me because i sat down for the first day; I could barely stand for more than a half hour. Then when I went to outpatient, I sat down a total of 4 times each day at work, once when I was working the phones, once during lunch, and twice for cigarette breaks.

If you're in the money then definetly go with Ecco's. A cheaper option that works for me are Rockports.

ForgetMeNot said:
Yeah...there's actually a similar dress code about shoes that can be shined at a place I work, yet I wear my Vans to work. :D

rock on vans. lol.

I wear crocs at the hospital. Love them! Or you may want to get some shoes like nurses wear. They're not that stylish but they make the feet happy. :)

bananaface said:

My Dansko clogs fit both of these requirements (they come in every color and finish imaginable too!) and they are super supportive and comfortable. They were a little pricey for someone making $9.25/hr ($120ish including tax) but I've had them for about 6 months now and worn them to work every single day and they still look and feel about the same as when they were new. When I'm a pharmacist, I plan on having a closet full of them.

Jennay41 said:
My Dansko clogs fit both of these requirements (they come in every color and finish imaginable too!) and they are super supportive and comfortable. They were a little pricey for someone making $9.25/hr ($120ish including tax) but I've had them for about 6 months now and worn them to work every single day and they still look and feel about the same as when they were new. When I'm a pharmacist, I plan on having a closet full of them.
I have had so much trouble with my danskos... I like the way they look and all, but after about 6 hours my feet are just killing me and I usually have to switch to a softer shoe. I've been wearing them for a couple of months now and I'm still not used to them, I wonder if thats normal or if I'm just one of the few people that don't like danskos?

I will be starting my first pharmacy career in retail. Any advice to the best standing shoes? I heard that we are allowed towear clean sneakers, but was looking for something a bit more professional looking.

New Balance. You can get them in solid black or solid white too.

sheep said:
I will be starting my first pharmacy career in retail. Any advice to the best standing shoes? I heard that we are allowed towear clean sneakers, but was looking for something a bit more professional looking.
Rockport makes some very comfortable professional looking shoes.
Also look into Birkenstock Clogs. I know they are clogs but they are very good for your feet and no one sees your feet behind the counter anyways.

Are you female? If so Aerosoles makes very comfortable shoes that are actually fashionable too. I have found a few pair for cheap at Marshalls and TJ Maxx.

I am looking for comfortable shoes to wear as a pharmaist too. A pharmacist told me that there were three fairly young pharmacists in our district who had to have total knee replacements due to what the job does to ur body. Make sure you take care of your feet, back, joints and vascular system. I have heard the suggestion of wearing support hoes too! I am going to invest in some rockports or something. I'd rather try to wear dress shoes than tennis shoes/sneakers.
When I was searching for advice on shoes for pharmacists I found some ked-type shoes with pictures of pills on them. lol
for as long as the link below works, check 'em out!

http://www.zazzle.com/pharmacist+shoes

:)

ps. 4 inch heels ---> you will severely pay later in life. take care of your body.

I went to one of those orthopedic shoe places and bought Rockports. They're black leather and not the cutest, but they feel wonderful. I think they'll be fine with our new dress code, even though they'll be a little less dressy than my outfits.

Oh, our dress code doesn't allow clogs or slip-ons, even if they're close-toed. Something to think about when you're shoe shopping.

If you need comfortable dress shoes you really should look into law enforcement dress shoes. Bates is a reputable company that I always purchased products from. Keep in mind they have about a thousand different styles so you can find something to look for. Their products are made for all types of law enforcement including foot patrols who walk for hours upon housr a day.

With that being said, you should also find an actual shoe store who can let you be evaluated for high pressure areas on your feet and match you to shoes based on that.

I bought a pair of running shoes from a true shoe store that did one of those pressure tests before the police academy and it was the greatest thing I've ever done for my big ass hoofs.

shoes_iaec1008541.jpg

you can get a pair of these from Marshalls shoe department for $50....
they look really nice.... but the main thing is that they are really comfortable compared to many other brands of men's dress shoes ....

:)

Yeah, I need to find some comfortable shoes as well. My preceptor made some comments about me wearing Nike Shox, albeit all black to rotations (I was wearing shirt + tie + dress pants). Why would customers even care about your footwear, I mean, if we're behind the counter and even counseling from behind the counter, what's the big deal?

It actually disappointed me that I couldn't wear my white coat there because the preceptor thinks white coats are for mental institutions and can cause white coat syndrome (the community pharmacy I went to was an HIV specialty pharmacy).

I mean, if we're behind the counter and even counseling from behind the counter, what's the big deal?

I kind of agree. Docs get away with wearing crocs, what's the difference? If anything, the shox are more professional. Mountain out of a mole hill really! :)

Look into Bates footwear - you won't regret it.

Try going barefoot and being a hillbilly pharmacist. Make sure to greet your patients with a nice loud "howdy ya'll" when they come in.

Try going barefoot and being a hillbilly pharmacist. Make sure to greet your patients with a nice loud "howdy ya'll" when they come in.

y'know.. "howdy" is the standard greeting which was actually taught at the "Fish" camp to get us ready for College Station campus.. of course that was more than 20 years ago... recently I was back on campus and only few kids said "howdy" to me... new army has gone to hell..