Should I leave comfortable Retail for Hospital?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yorkie212

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I work at an independent pharmacy and that hours are 8-4 and I fill on average 100 scripts a day so basically its a cake walk. (I used to work at CVS doing 450+ daily with no overlap). I'm happy at my current independent pharmacy even though Im making 30K less. But I recently got an offer from a hospital to work daytime, and knowing how hard it is to get a hospital position... should I leave my current independent pharmacy position to work at a hospital? I know its hard getting your foot in the door at a hospital (I think my previous temp positions at various hospitals in the past allowed me to get this current hospital position) and I feel like I can always go to retail... what should I do should i take a chance..?

fyi ...I havent worked in a hospital for an extended period of time to fully be comfortable working in a clinical setting.

Members don't see this ad.

When I was faced with a similar situation I took the clinical position part time to see if it was a good fit. Is that a possibility for you?

Reactions: 1 user
I assume you've already considered job stability/growth opportunities and are just wondering if hospital is worth it. I think it just depends on the hospital and the job. Do you know anything about the politics/management there? Hospital politics can get ugly. Is this a hospital system you want to stay with long term or just an "in"? You will always be able to go back to retail, but chill jobs like yours are hard to come by.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you want to work in a hospital? Or are you happy in retail?

I wouldn't worry overly much about the clinical stuff. Yes, there will probably be a learning curve, but assuming you remember anything from pharmacy school you should catch on pretty quickly.

Understand that if you leave an 8-4 job, you will easily be replaced.

you can always work in retail, however, hospital positions are hard to get into (if your main focus has been retail). if the hospital doesn't work out, you can always go back to retail.

**one thing to consider though, are your career goals. if you want to own an independent, I would stay where you are. Learn how to do the books, work though insurance contract/pay issues, MTM, compounding, marketing, etc...

Typically people leave retails mainly because it's so stressful. Since you said you are relaxed at your store, there is really no reason to switch unless you like hospital work more.

OP, what it comes down to is what's best for you. This board acts like clinical pharmacy is the be-all, end-all, but that's not the case for everybody. I have some classmates who've worked retail since we graduated [mumble] years ago, are very happy doing that and would never want to work in a hospital. Are you happy working retail? Will it get you where you want to go in your career? If yes, then why change?

I think a lot depends on how sustainable your currret job is... nobody has a crystal ball, but do you think your job is stable right now.... the one advantage to working for a hospital is hospitals are less likely to be shut down

I work at an independent pharmacy and that hours are 8-4 and I fill on average 100 scripts a day so basically its a cake walk. (I used to work at CVS doing 450+ daily with no overlap). I'm happy at my current independent pharmacy even though Im making 30K less. But I recently got an offer from a hospital to work daytime, and knowing how hard it is to get a hospital position... should I leave my current independent pharmacy position to work at a hospital? I know its hard getting your foot in the door at a hospital (I think my previous temp positions at various hospitals in the past allowed me to get this current hospital position) and I feel like I can always go to retail... what should I do should i take a chance..?

fyi ...I havent worked in a hospital for an extended period of time to fully be comfortable working in a clinical setting.

honestly...the complacency of an 8-4 independent gig would kill me. I say go test out your limits. go big or go home. However, if you're like 50 years old...then no...stay put.

I would say to stick with the independent. Hospital and some other non-retail jobs can be very high stress too.

If I could get a 8-4 easy job like that that I knew wasn't going anywhere or going to change - provided it had good benefits (vacation) - I would be game

in this case it could be GO BIG OR GO UNEMPLOYED lol

Sadly...that is the truth and reality of such a decision with regards to how saturated this profession has become. It allows people so little wiggle room in terms of exploring their limits and capacity for fear of being unemployed.

How long has the indy been open?

8-4 with 100/day sounds like "I want to own a business but also golf 4 times a week" type owner hours.

LOL, want to trade places with me?

Seriously though, it depends on your future goals. If you want to be in clinical in the future and maybe do it forever, then go for it, but if you're happy where you are I would say no.

Ride this easy gig until the wheels fall off and save as much money as you can. Hospital pharmacy isn't much less stressful than chain retail (in my case, anyway), so walking away from a cake job and into a high stress, low paying hospital job isn't something I'd recommend...unless for some reason you love answering calls/messages about missing doses, IV compatibility, MAR/Epic/Pyxis issues all day long.