Know any med students that got an NSF Fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chris Benoit

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I posted this on the Allo forum as well, with no response. I know that MD/PhD are almost always prohibited from getting the fellowship, but I figured I'd just ask anyway.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Chris Benoit said:
Hey,

I posted this on the Allo forum as well, with no response. I know that MD/PhD are almost always prohibited from getting the fellowship, but I figured I'd just ask anyway.

Thanks.

To my understanding, MD/PhD students are ALWAYS prohibited from receiving this particular fellowship.

Read the application. NSF fellowships are specifically geared towards nonclinical research. If your proposal has nothing to do with medicine, then you may have a shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Newquagmire said:
Read the application. NSF fellowships are specifically geared towards nonclinical research. If your proposal has nothing to do with medicine, then you may have a shot.

While this is true, in my interpretation MD/PhD students are always outlawed from receiving this fellowship. The program announcement accessible at https://www.fastlane.nsf.gov/grfp/ contains the following on p.7 of the pdf:

"Categories of study that are always ineligible:
...joint science-professional degree programs (MD/PhD and JD/PhD) ..."

Newquagmire said:
but the OP is asking about "med students"...

Yeah, I guess you're right. I just assumed from the rest of his post and the forum in which he posted that he was referring to MD/PhD students.

There's one student in our program on NSF money -- his PhD will be in geography.

Our school just received NSF funding for our MD/PHD program as a whole ...
but for minorities