Vanderbilt University School of Medicine Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oops, yeah, I'm green and didn't realize "professional" is synonymous with formal in this context. I just read it as "appropriate." I guess I'll just call to clarify before it's time to pack.

I'd rather skip the hospital visit than wear my suit for another banal tour. Hopefully the tour will actually be informative rather than an excuse to make us play dress up again.

We have the rest of our lives to dress up "professionally" right? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Since I missed the tour on my interview day for my interview, I'll definitely still attend the hospital visits. I'd really like to know what those "Meet the Faculty" sessions are about so I can rank them. There is a picture of "organ recital" on the Second Look Website but it doesn't tell you much. I bet it's a presentation of all the major organ systems in the body, which is interesting and cool for a Second Look Weekend.

So I just got off of the phone with Pat (the person who sent out the Second Look Visit invites), and he/she (does anyone know?) said we have roommates at the hotel. So if we are bringing someone... I don't know... they ahve to get their own room, or they don't reimburse our whole room... Sneaky people.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think Pat is a she; I vaguely remember meeting her on interview day.

My hospital tour was decent on my interview day (we saw the Children's Hospital, the PT suite, the integrated adult/ped diabetes clinic), but I remember the tour guide saying that they give far more extensive hospital tours during Second Look. So, it might be worthwhile.

Well, are roommates really randomly assigned, or can we request? :idea:

In the email, I think it says they are randomly assigned.

How did you feel the clinics were like? Good condition? Big? Fairly busy?

I noticed the email said that we check in on Friday, but it also stated that several groups were planning activities for Thursday night. Does that make sense to anyone?

Sure - the MD second visit weekend starts on Friday. If you're MSTP or special program whatever, things start on Thursday night before the MD visit begins. Directors of those special programs should be in touch re: Thursday. If not or you think you should be involved with Thursday's activities, I'd talk to someone at Vandy.

In the email, I think it says they are randomly assigned.

How did you feel the clinics were like? Good condition? Big? Fairly busy?

Everything that I saw was in good or excellent condition. The diabetes clinic was definitely busy.

I was impressed by how well wired Vandy's hospital is. There were a lot of patient info terminals for med students in the children's hospital.

I heard Vanderbilt's bioinformatics department is the top in the nation, which is probably why the hospital system is so wired. I think you can check anything from the computer, and most everything is conducted on the computer there. They were one of the pioneers of integrating informational technology into hospitals.

I am NOT wearing a suit. They accepted me (and I had taken off the jacket and was only in slacks and a button-down blouse for the interviews), and they get ME, not me-in-a-suit, which doesn't really exist. AND they're getting friendly shoewear, none of those weapons-of-mass-destruction-pointy-at-both-ends shoes or yeah... you get the point. I will dress and play nicely though :). OH, and I am NOT straightening my hair this time either! HAHA!

Hey, just have a few questions for any current vandy students out there!

- how are the swimming and tennis facilities, and how far are they from the medical school buildings?
- do you feel that you get to interact with diverse patients from all sorts of backgrounds?
- how often do you have exams?
- how does the school emphasize the social/ psychological part of patient healthcare? is it a class or something like that?
- how early do your weekdays begin?
- why did you pick vanderbilt over other top schools?

i appreciate any responses, i'm just trying to make some difficult decisions! thanks for all your help in advance!
:thumbup:

also, i didn't see anything about the offer being conditional on the final term grades but i've only seen the email so far. is it conditional? thanks guys

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone going to try to go to both? If so, how are you going to manage it?

You could also PM me if you are renting a car and want to share costs or something.

Hey guys -- I'm trying to do the Vanderbilt/Emory thing, and I have some info I obtained over email from Pat Sagen (female btw).

The first event is going to be at 6:00pm on Friday at LP Field! Holy crap, I wonder what it could be? Freshman year at Vandy undergrad they took us all to Opry Mill and the Grand Ole Opry -- pretty sweet! So I wouldn't be surprised if this is something really good.

Professional means business casual, so it looks like some of us were wrong on that. She said you don't even need a tie, just a collared shirt (guys obviously). So no more worrying about that.

Anyway, for the Emory thing -- she said you could arrive later and just checkin to the hotel. Obviously you'll miss whatever cool thing they're doing though. I emailed Erica Black and she's out today but will be back tomorrow. I'd say I'll probably skip second look there if it's impossible to make it to the thing at LP. Just have to see how the timing works out.

Hey, just have a few questions for any current vandy students out there!

I'm a second-year student at Vandy Med, so I should be able to help you out!

- how are the swimming and tennis facilities, and how far are they from the medical school buildings?

I don't use the tennis or swimming facilities, but I can tell you their locations relative to Light Hall (where our lectures are). Medical students have access to two pools: one at the Dayani Rehabilitation Center and one at the student recreation center. The Dayani Center serves medical center faculty, patients and staff, and is only around 5 minutes from our lecture halls. It also has a track, cardio equipment and weights. The rec center serves ALL Vanderbilt students and is a 10 minute walk from the lecture halls. It's a newer building and it also houses squash courts, basketball courts, weights, and cardio machines. Access to Dayani and the rec center are included in your tuition and fees.

The tennis facility is adjacent to the student rec center and was built in the nineties. It has several indoor courts as well as ~6 outdoor courts. I'm fairly certain that there are open access hours, but I don't know if there are any associated fees.

- do you feel that you get to interact with diverse patients from all sorts of backgrounds?

Yes! Vanderbilt is a tertiary care center, so many of the patients at the hospitals and clinic have some fairly rare and/or advanced conditions. However those patients tend to be from all socioeconomic backgrounds. Around $100 million was spent on uncompensated care last year at Vanderbilt--that's more than all of the other major Nashville medical centers combined.

The Veteran's Affairs hospital is connected via skyway to Light Hall and adds even more diversity to the patient population. Finally, Shadetree Clinic, a student-run free clinic, is open to all Vanderbilt students and is located in a medically underserved area of Nashville. You get an opportunity to see more routine cases at the VA and Shadetree.

-how often do you have exams?

That varies by semester. For instance, Spring semester of 1st year currently has around eight big tests while Fall semester of 2nd year only has about 4 big tests. Keep in mind that this will change with the new curriculum, which starts next year. There will be fewer tests and less class time with the new curriculum.

- how does the school emphasize the social/ psychological part of patient healthcare? is it a class or something like that?

We currently have a class called "Ecology of Healthcare" where we talk about topics like economics of health care, health care justice, and the patient experience in healthcare. The new curriculum will have a class called "Patient, Profession, and Society" which will cover similar topics as well as other sundry topics in communication skills, epidemiology, professionalism, and public health. This class is part of both the first- and second-year curriculum.

Also, we have several electives and optional lunchtime lectures that pertain to such topics.

- how early do your weekdays begin?

8 AM. I don't think this will change with the new curriculum. If you're going to be a physician, you're going to have to learn how to deal with early mornings :) . I'm 99.5% sure that you'll get used to it.

- why did you pick vanderbilt over other top schools?

1) The students were happy and were overwhelmingly satisfied with Vandy. This has actually been quantified: nearly all med students complete the graduate questionnaire (http://www.aamc.org/data/gq/) upon graduation. Unfortunately, the AAMC doesn't publish results for individual schools, but you can skim this article to get a good idea of VMS student satisfaction levels in 2005: http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/reporter/index.html?ID=4643.

2) The faculty, administration, and staff seemed committed to student success AND happiness. This contrasted with my undergraduate experience at an unnamed university in the Mid-Atlantic Region. The administration there emphasized excellence at the expense of student life.

3) Vanderbilt University is compact. All of the undergraduate and professional schools are on one campus, which can be traversed in about 15 minutes. Furthermore, you have quick, easy access to undergraduate and graduate school events (e.g. Rites of Spring). The medical center is contiguous with the rest of campus and contains all major Vanderbilt Medical Center facilities. Your commute from class to clinic is generally a couple of minutes.

Time is valuable when you're a med student, so you'll grow to appreciate fast commutes.

4) The cost of living in Nashville is much lower than in other larger cities. Your student loans and/or scholarships will go far in Nashville.

5) I had never lived in the South. It's different here, but in a good way. The pace of life is slower and people are more courteous than some other places that I've called home. Plus, Nashville is a good place in which to live, no matter what your political persuasion happens to be. Both Al Gore and Bill Frist call Nashville home, so there's probably room for your politics somewhere between them.

-i appreciate any responses, i'm just trying to make some difficult decisions! thanks for all your help in advance!
:thumbup:

No problem!

Thanks, zekelion! You answered a lot of my (unasked) questions. I love that Vandy's students seem to love it so much.

Thanks zekelion for the information! Now that we have you, could you please tell us what Second Look is like? Do you know what the "Faculty Meetings" are? Is the organ recital where they show us different organs? Thanks!

For everyone's benefit, I think you should know something about zekelion...he's a slow walker. The Dayani center is across the street from the children's hospital and kitty-corner from the Vanderbilt Clinic (contiguous with the main hospital), and the rec center is across the street from the parking garage, one block from the VA Hospital. You can get to these places in less than 5 minutes!

Thanks zekelion for the information! Now that we have you, could you please tell us what Second Look is like? Do you know what the "Faculty Meetings" are? Is the organ recital where they show us different organs? Thanks!

Some people expect music at the organ recitals, but it's mostly just showing you preserved hearts, brains, livers, etc. with cool pathology. Faculty meetings are usually just lunch with the professors, etc.

I called admissions today and they also told me that "Meet the Faculty" consists of rounding with 3rd and 4th year students in the hospital in the specialty the session is on. Attire is business casual except at the party in the big field (LB(P?)?).

Unless they've changed it for this year, "Meet the Faculty" sessions could include anything from visiting the NICU with a faculty member to looking at pathology specimens in the Organ Recital. These sessions are basically meant to give you a microcosmic view of what it's like to be a student at Vanderbilt.

You'll have a chance to meet more faculty during the luncheon held after the 'meet the faculty' sessions. They'll split you up into groups of ~10 and put you in a room with a student and a dean or a prominent faculty member.

In regards to patzan calling me a slow walker, I admit that I was a bit conservative in my time estimates :). I hope I made it clear that virtually all of the rec facilities are at the medical center's doorstep.

Can any current students please expand on the quality of teaching? For instance, the Reel (and the Paddle) contains some funny quotes from professors, which leads me to think they're engaging and funny during lecture, not boring. Is this true? Do you find that most professors enjoy teaching and make it a fun experience? I've had some professors in college who made the hour lecture time seem like years, so that's why I'm asking.

And are there plenty of power ports in the classrooms?

Hey Does Anyone know how vandy did in this year's match???

Im curious to know

I loved VANDY when i visited but I still am trying to make my final decision... thats what second look is for!! I am looking forward to meeting all of you!!
yay! :D

:)

Hey Does Anyone know how vandy did in this year's match???

Im curious to know

I loved VANDY when i visited but I still am trying to make my final decision... thats what second look is for!! I am looking forward to meeting all of you!!
yay! :D

http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/reporter/index.html?ID=5419

Highlights: out of 114, they had 5 derm (MassGen, WashU, Vandy, Emory, UCSD), 5 rad onc (MSKKC, UCSF, Wake, Vandy, Duke), 4 urology (Cornell, Vandy, Baylor, UWash), 3 neurosurg (Hopkins, twins at Vandy), 3 ophth (Wills, Wilmer, Baylor), etc.

I saw part of the webcast yesterday, and it looked like so much fun =) Can't wait for second-look!

You left out ortho at Hosp for Special Surgery in NYC. And you really can't go by numbers of people who matched into competitive residencies because you don't know how many people were trying to match into them. But very impressive matches indeed, as usual.

Was HSS on this year's list? I couldn't find it, but maybe my control-F has failed me...

Did you guys get a detailed itinerary for the weekend? I haven't received anything in the mail and the email didn't have much. Also, they said check-in was from 2-5:30 and looks like i won't arrive until later in the evening. That should be ok right? How do i find out what i will miss?

in other news... VANDY IS IN THE SWEET 16! I'm not even sure why I'm so excited since I don't even go there yet, but that double-OT win over Wazzou sure helped out my bracket =)

hey, any current students want to share when they heard about the entrance scholarships? how were you contacted, and was it by the dean's office? letter or phone? i'd love to know! :)

Did you guys get a detailed itinerary for the weekend? I haven't received anything in the mail and the email didn't have much. Also, they said check-in was from 2-5:30 and looks like i won't arrive until later in the evening. That should be ok right? How do i find out what i will miss?
Nothing here other than the email. I was told through the admissions office that buses would be leaving to LP at 5:45 and 6:00, so you'll probably miss whatever thing they're doing if you come later. It's like 3 hours apparently.

GO DORES :D

Can any current students please expand on the quality of teaching? For instance, the Reel (and the Paddle) contains some funny quotes from professors, which leads me to think they're engaging and funny during lecture, not boring. Is this true? Do you find that most professors enjoy teaching and make it a fun experience? I've had some professors in college who made the hour lecture time seem like years, so that's why I'm asking.

And are there plenty of power ports in the classrooms?

Although the lecture halls appear dated, they are indeed laptop friendly. There is about one power port for every two seats in the lecture halls and I've rarely had a problem finding an unoccupied one. Also, Light Hall is blanketed with Wi-Fi so you'll never lack access to the Internet in the lecture halls.

I've consistently been impressed by the quality of teaching at Vanderbilt. The professors tend to be skillful, dedicated and manage to mine humor out of dry subject matter (the funniest quotes are listed in the margins of the Reel and the Paddle). The great majority of lectures are engaging, but I have had a number of boring lectures. That said, every medical school is going to have some bad lectures--if anyone tries to tell you at a second-look weekend that they've never had a boring lecture, they're probably lying. Fortunately, our student evaluation system tends to minimize the number of bad lecturers at Vanderbilt.

Every student is required to evaluate every course (and nearly every lecturer) at the end of each semester. In some courses, a small (but statistically significant) group of students is required to fill out an evaluation after each lecture. The evaluations are compiled by members of the student curriculum committee, and are presented to course directors and administrative types. The course directors and administration takes these evaluations very seriously and make changes based on our comments. For instance, the administration recently replaced the director of one of our courses when students complained about the quality of his teaching.

Furthermore, they'll be adding more small-group sessions (in the form of problem based learning) with the new curriculum. I've heard that they'll also be cutting down the number of classroom hours from the current ~28 hours to something closer to ~20 hours (you'll probably have to wait until they reveal the new curriculum at second visit to confirm this). Both of these changes should do much to minimize classroom fatigue.

I'm sorry that this post isn't more succinct. Talk to you later!

That sounds great! I've been actually deciding between Vandy, Pitt, and Harvard, but now that Harvard rejected me post-interview, they made my decision a lot easier =). Also, I'm beginning to really like Vandy's new curriculum over Pitt's (and other factors), so I'm 90% sure I'm going to Vandy next year. I'm definitely excited! I'll be glad to be leaving the forest that is Durham (Duke) for a city.

Seems like there are a couple of cool condo complexes going up in West End : Bristol, Artie Lee, etc. Does anyone know how easy or difficult it is to rent a condo in one of these places?
Also, during second look do we get a tour of possible places to live or a brochure or something?

That sounds great! I've been actually deciding between Vandy, Pitt, and Harvard, but now that Harvard rejected me post-interview, they made my decision a lot easier =). Also, I'm beginning to really like Vandy's new curriculum over Pitt's (and other factors), so I'm 90% sure I'm going to Vandy next year. I'm definitely excited! I'll be glad to be leaving the forest that is Durham (Duke) for a city.

Ok, so Im curious as to what Durham is like. And since it seems like you live there do you have any comments about Duke or Durham (positive and/or negative). Im a Vandy fan BUT im also trying to make some final decisions... thanks!

does anyone know when the first day of orientation is this fall?

First day of orientation is August 2 according to admissions. First day of classes Aug. 6. White coat Aug 17 after Foundation of Medicine Block and before the genetics/cell bio/bio chem block.

Paddle has great choices/opinions on housing that I've checked out on Vandy's website. You should check it out.

As for Durham and Duke, I went to Duke for undergrad. I'm originally from LA so the change was very surprising my first year. Duke is a great school, but there really is nothing in Durham. After maybe a month, you sort of get bored of it, especially since Duke sits right in the middle of a forest, which means some isolation. Coming from LA, I want more of a city environment, somewhere that has culture and new people/visitors--you won't get much of that in Durham. Plus, conflicts of interest between Duke and Durham always arise, which means that Duke rarely has the freedom to build cool stuff, like a college town. If you're going to med school at Duke, you'll have a great education but I just couldn't stand living in Durham another 4 years and being in the same environment. I also don't like their curriculum, but that's more of a personal choice. Raleigh area is a great place to raise a family and/or retire, however. I guess I also got a very friendly and helpful vibe from the administration and students at Vandy, as opposed to some of the students who I met at Duke during the interview. Did that help? I'm late to class so that's why I made it short (and hopefully helpful and comprehensible) =)!

i have an acceptance to duke, but im leaning towards vandy at this point... cant wait for secondlook!

First day of orientation is August 2 according to admissions. First day of classes Aug. 6. White coat Aug 17 after Foundation of Medicine Block and before the genetics/cell bio/bio chem block.

Paddle has great choices/opinions on housing that I've checked out on Vandy's website. You should check it out.

As for Durham and Duke, I went to Duke for undergrad. I'm originally from LA so the change was very surprising my first year. Duke is a great school, but there really is nothing in Durham. After maybe a month, you sort of get bored of it, especially since Duke sits right in the middle of a forest, which means some isolation. Coming from LA, I want more of a city environment, somewhere that has culture and new people/visitors--you won't get much of that in Durham. Plus, conflicts of interest between Duke and Durham always arise, which means that Duke rarely has the freedom to build cool stuff, like a college town. If you're going to med school at Duke, you'll have a great education but I just couldn't stand living in Durham another 4 years and being in the same environment. I also don't like their curriculum, but that's more of a personal choice. Raleigh area is a great place to raise a family and/or retire, however. I guess I also got a very friendly and helpful vibe from the administration and students at Vandy, as opposed to some of the students who I met at Duke during the interview. Did that help? I'm late to class so that's why I made it short (and hopefully helpful and comprehensible) =)!

Thanks a lot. That helped MUCH!! I appreciate it. I never knew Nashville was such an exciting and vibrant city. Probably because I only heard of it, but never actually experienced it. Thanks again!

i have an acceptance to duke, but im leaning towards vandy at this point... cant wait for secondlook!

IM in the exact same situation as you!! Im kind of leaning towards Vandy too, but Im curious, what are your reasons for liking Vandy more??

From what I've seen, heard, and read, a Vandy med degree helps with match and other opportunities (research, etc.). Of course, once you're in the top tier of med schools, I don't think you can go wrong at any of these schools (in fact, I don't think you can go wrong at almost all of the med schools in America, period) and the decision becomes more personal than ranking-based, per se. I guess people like Vandy's environment, people, and curriculum when they choose it over other more highly ranked schools. Its generous offering of merit scholarships and financial aid don't hurt either =).

I was reading an archived article in the Reporter a while back (from 2004 I think) and it mentioned that 50% of those accepted at both Duke and Vandy choose Vandy, but only 1 out of 9 choose Vandy over Harvard but I guess that's a problem every school faces with Harvard's 80+% yield. I'm not sure how these numbers pan out in 2007 though.

not going to med school, pero for those that are definitely coming to Vandy, how are people going to look for housing? asking current students/craigslist/??

also, I must also concur that Durham sucks really badly. I appreciated Ithaca (a.k.a "middle of nowhere") so much more after Durham.

goo DORES! whip g'towns ahhh

I was reading an archived article in the Reporter a while back (from 2004 I think) and it mentioned that 50% of those accepted at both Duke and Vandy choose Vandy, but only 1 out of 9 choose Vandy over Harvard but I guess that's a problem every school faces with Harvard's 80+% yield. I'm not sure how these numbers pan out in 2007 though.

Wait, do you have a link to that article? I'm curious, would like to read it.... oh, and Huck Farvard.

IM in the exact same situation as you!! Im kind of leaning towards Vandy too, but Im curious, what are your reasons for liking Vandy more??

I'm not sure if I want to squish 2 years of preclinical in to one ultra-year of intense studying and memory fall-out. This is not the time for Cram-and-Dump learning... though I think no matter where one goes to school that sort of will happen just because of the amount of material.

I've heard Duke students don't do too well on the shelf exams (about average) but then dominate the USMLEs (and thats because they are all capable test-takers and can cram like the best of them). However, I'm not sure if I like their philosophy in not teaching everything and streamlining the preclinical experience. I love how you get an open 3rd year, and would love to get a dual degree though. Its such an extreme sort of medical school that I keep having some sort of doubts about it. Also, I went to Duke for ugrad and am tired of living here. I would like to be in the northeast for med school but I really liked Vandy and I'm, of course, willing to compromise on location.

btw, Nashville looks a hell of a lot awesome'r than Durham. hah.

I'm also very interested in Ortho and Vandy must have a very very very reputable Ortho rotation or something that makes them the best "Ortho-matchers" in the country (consistently), IMO. I know its naiive to think that I will definitely go into Ortho but as of now thats what I see myself doing.

Also, I was looking at the scholarships..... Damn I hope I land one!

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/catalogs/medical/06_MEDM03.pdf#FinanceInfo

look at all of these scholarships!

I also could not find the Reporter article... interesting though I did find a blip on how the Vandy dean expects to be in the top 10 of the US news rankings by 2010... though they've slipped some spots in the last few years...

it doesnt seem possible unless they hire a lot more doctors (increase the doc/student ratio) and hire more NIH-grant gettin' researchers (b/c i think they play the MCAT, gpa, acceptance % game well already).

Hey guys,

Sorry, I'll try to find it after my lab today. I know I read it somewhere on that site.

Man, just had to turn down the second look weekend. Painful to do because it looks really fun.

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/catalogs/medical/06_MEDM03.pdf#FinanceInfo

look at all of these scholarships!

I also could not find the Reporter article... interesting though I did find a blip on how the Vandy dean expects to be in the top 10 of the US news rankings by 2010... though they've slipped some spots in the last few years...

it doesnt seem possible unless they hire a lot more doctors (increase the doc/student ratio) and hire more NIH-grant gettin' researchers (b/c i think they play the MCAT, gpa, acceptance % game well already).

I hope that they still have some money left...I really could use some dough to finalize my decision.

Oops. I got the magazine, year, AND data wrong haha. It's been a while so I must have gotten my stats mixed up with something else, except I got Harvard right for some reason. Anyway, the article is here, published sometime in 2003:

http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/vumcpub/index.html?pubID=10&articleID=202

Vandy competes the best with WUSTL and Baylor, but only gets 4 of 23 with Hopkins and 4 of 33 with Duke. Like I said before, 1 out of 9 for Harvard too. Since this was 4 years ago, these stats are probably different now because it looks like scholarship funds have gone up. Sorry for the confusion :(...I read the last 3 years of the Reporter when I was trying to make my decision, as I wanted to get the "real" info about the school and not the glamorized version that every Second Look has. That's probably why I jumbled everything up in my mind.

Spatula, what year did you graduate from Duke? I'm a senior right now. I had the same complaints (and praises) as you when I was considering Duke. I felt I'd do better in a curriculum like Vandy's and I didn't want to stay in Durham another 4 years, so I basically removed Duke from my list pretty easily (I think rankings can only tell you so much, especially when USNEWS' methodology is suspicious, so it didn't matter to me that Duke was top 10 and vandy was top 20--not really all that big of a difference to start out with anyway. What's good about both schools though is that they aren't stagnant--they're continuously growing and getting better, making sure to take an active stance to improve themselves. Just look at how much their NIH funding has gone up in the past decade and how many new facilities they have. Having seen the same thing on Duke's undergrad campus, there's a certain amount of positive energy that results throughout campus when you see the administration taking an active stance against deficiencies. It makes the future and present a lot more exciting and the climate a lot more supportive.).

Does anyone know what else we need to do to be in the running for scholarship funds? My parents haven't done their tax returns yet, so I haven't filled out the FAFSA. Do we need that?