Thanks to Texan SDN EMers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apollyon

Screw the GST
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Specifically, Roja and Jeff698, in that, right now, I am eating "Frito Pie", and likely would not have ever heard about it save from them here.

Of course, being the heathen that I am, I am eating it in a bowl, although, once I have enough chili on hand, to actually use an 11oz bag of Fritos.

To any Texans - in elementary school, did they use the bags split on the side?

Members don't see this ad.

Very interesting...will definitely have to try this. Sounds like a little prophylactic Zocor would be advisable, too. ;)

fritos.gif

An authentic Frito pie MUST be served in the bag and eaten with a plastic fork (or better yet, spork). After your first pie, you may make it in a dish and eat it with regular flatware. But if you're a Frito Pie virgin, you gotta do it middle school cafeteria style your first time.

For one Frito pie:

- Big Grab of Fritos (Dainty appetite? Use the snack-sized bag)
- One cup of chili with beans, canned or homemade (adjust accordingly for non-Big Grab)
- Grated Cheddar cheese
- Plastic fork

Accouterments (your choice): sour cream, onions, tomatoes, lettuce, pico de gallo, cilantro

Snip across the side of the Fritos bag (an authentic Frito pie MUST be served in the bag and eaten with a plastic fork). Pour in the chili, top with cheese and anything else your heart desires. Then stick the fork into the bag, mix it up into a sloppy mess, and enjoy! More fun that a funnel cake at the flea market!

Frito pie is best served with Coke or beer. If the chili is especially hot, a cool glass of milk will help soothe your weary palate.

fritopiedrop.jpg

Source: http://www.disgruntledhousewife.com/meals/frito.pie.html

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
'Tis the season for Frito pie.

Specifically, Roja and Jeff698, in that, right now, I am eating "Frito Pie", and likely would not have ever heard about it save from them here.

Of course, being the heathen that I am, I am eating it in a bowl, although, once I have enough chili on hand, to actually use an 11oz bag of Fritos.

To any Texans - in elementary school, did they use the bags split on the side?

They served it in a stiff paper rectangular tray. The fritos were in the tray with chili on top. Cheese was on the side in a big cup, similar to ones used for ketchup.

You have to dump the cheese on top and spread it out since it will sit there in the shape of the cup (if it's the finely grated...which is the only way). Then, yes, the plastic fork is required.

Clearly you all meant to say "Walking Taco" when you said "Frito Pie." The next thing I know, you'll be calling a can of pop "soda" or some nonsense like that. :)

Whatever you call them, we had them in Ohio in elementary school too.

Hah! Frito Pie! I love it. Takes me back to the ballpark.

Indeed, split on the side, pour chili in and add cheese and onions.

mmmmmmm good eatin.

Unfortunately, can't get it here in NYC except at one place and they bastardize it with really good fancy chili but it has beans.

Clearly you all meant to say "Walking Taco" when you said "Frito Pie." The next thing I know, you'll be calling a can of pop "soda" or some nonsense like that. :)

When we want you'alls opinion, we'll tell you what it is.;)

Frito Pie is traditionally served with a lightly chilled, vintage Big Red (soda).

When we want you'alls opinion, we'll tell you what it is.;)

Frito Pie is traditionally served with a lightly chilled, vintage Big Red (soda).

1991 was a fantastic year for Big Red. I've got a few bottles cellared if anyone is interested.

I gotta make a Frito Pie/Walking Taco soon!

Uh, cans of anything that isn't beer or water is correctly known as "Coke." You need to specify what kind of Coke you would like when you order in Atlanta.

As an aside, one time in grad school a girl from Ohio tried to order a "pop" at the local Subway (in South Carolina) and he just stared at her. Then he said "I don't think we have any of that."

And Frito Pie's rule. However, if they are too spicy, one should use sweet tea (not the poster on here though, unless she's into that), as the sugar interferes with the receptors moreso than lipids do from milk. So says Alton Brown.

Here! Here! Its not pop or soda, its all Coke....

And please, will someone up north please realize that *real* ranch dressing is much more appropriate for french fries and pizza as a dip.

Walking taco... pthth. you can take the yankee out of the north but you cant take the north out of the yankee.. or something like that. ;)

"Walking Taco" :confused:

Sounds like y'all have a roach problem up yonder.

Here! Here! Its not pop or soda, its all Coke....

And please, will someone up north please realize that *real* ranch dressing is much more appropriate for french fries and pizza as a dip.

Walking taco... pthth. you can take the yankee out of the north but you cant take the north out of the yankee.. or something like that. ;)

Yet another Southern habit I picked up.

As to that last statement, I'm not so convinced :).

I just wanted to inform everyone that I just finished a "Frito Pie" with cheddar cheese and onions followed closely with a nice cold beer.

carry on....:)

What are you guys doing in texas anyway? (those visiting...)

Because really, you should get yourself down to san saba, on a weekend and go by the drive through beer barn. right next door is a guy who only does bbq on the weekends and it is without a doubt the finest youw ill ever put in your mouth

Is that really a Southern thing? I grew up eating that stuff in California, no Southerners in sight. However, I certainly didnt get the chance to eat boiled peanuts or massive amounts of pork rinds until I moved to Atlanta. I also never had to be asked what kind of Coke I wanted to drink. For some reason those crazy Dixiecrats call everything with a hint of carbonation a "coke"... just insane. No wonder the North won the war. ;)

Is that really a Southern thing? I grew up eating that stuff in California, no Southerners in sight.

California boy here. My good ol momma introduced me to frito pie.

Of course the closer we get to northern california the more careful we have to be lest the "thats bad for you hippies" jump out and lecture me on why frito pie is bad. :laugh:

Damn string of night shifts. My work-sleep cycle has kept me away from what is clearly the most important SDN thread in some time.

It seems the pertinents have been well stated. Served in the bag, eaten with a spork and washed down with a Coke. Preferably of the Big Red variety.

Best place to eat one? High school football game, sometime in late November just after a good cold front comes through, holding the hot, greasy bag in one hand, a cup of Big Red flavored Coke perched precariously on the bleacher between your feet and going to town with your spork.

Yep, good times indeed.

Thanks for bringing those memories back.

Sadly, me and Frito Pies were rudely forced apart after I hit 35. Something about my heart. Dammit.

Take care,
Jeff

Damn string of night shifts. My work-sleep cycle has kept me away from what is clearly the most important SDN thread in some time.

It seems the pertinents have been well stated. Served in the bag, eaten with a spork and washed down with a Coke. Preferably of the Big Red variety.

Best place to eat one? High school football game, sometime in late November just after a good cold front comes through, holding the hot, greasy bag in one hand, a cup of Big Red flavored Coke perched precariously on the bleacher between your feet and going to town with your spork.

Yep, good times indeed.

Thanks for bringing those memories back.

Sadly, me and Frito Pies were rudely forced apart after I hit 35. Something about my heart. Dammit.

Take care,
Jeff