*** Official CCOM Class of 2011 ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vmgopal

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome the the Official Thread for the CCOM-Midwestern University Class of 2011. Only time will tell how many of us will finalize out decision and come together in August 2007!!! Now that the first batch of us have been accepted, all the best and good luck for those pending and interviewing!

:luck: :luck: :) :cool: :) :luck: :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

My decision is finalized and I will be attending CCOM in 2007. I look forward to meeting my future classmates.

as soon as I get CCOM paperwork I am sending my check!!

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all...congratulations on your acceptances. Since you guys were obviously successful in the process, do you have any advice for the rest of us hopefuls? CCOM is my top choice. Recently sent off everything and now waiting...any advice on the interviews, etc. will be greatly appreciated. sorry if i am infringing on your class of 2011 forum...i just wanted advice from the people who obviously know what's up.

thanks.

~A CCOM Class of 2011 Hopeful :)

I got the CCOM official acceptance letter today with the info about the $250 deposit and Matriculation papers!!! Ill be sending ASAP!!! Yeah, my dream school realized they want me too--as you can tell I'm still on Cloud 9 about it! its been a week too since the phone call (well anwering machine message for me):) :luck:

I got the CCOM official acceptance letter today with the info about the $250 deposit and Matriculation papers!!! Ill be sending ASAP!!! Yeah, my dream school realized they want me too--as you can tell I'm still on Cloud 9 about it! its been a week too since the phone call (well anwering machine message for me):) :luck:

Yay for you!
I have not gotten them yet... maybe they will be at home in my mailbox when I get there today (fingers crossed)
I am so excited! already planning my new Chicago life!!! even though its forever away!!
you are not going to wait to hear from PCOM anymore??

Congratulations on getting in! If you guys need any information on housing or apartments or anything in general, just pm or post. We are just finishing our first quarter here, its been a wild ride. We'll see everyone next fall and congratulations again!

I'm in! I got the call today. CCOM is my top choice so I'll be sending my deposit as soon as I get the paperwork!

CCOM ....here I come. It's my first choice being a Downers Grove resident.

I also got accepted to CCOM.

Where are the folks with families staying?

Where are you all from? And are you guys planning to live in the dorms the first year?

I am from Michigan. CCOM was one of my top choices, and I just recently sent them the first deposit. I am planning to live in the dorms for the first year. I think it will make for an easier adjustment, and it will be nice to be on campus when we have exams at 7:30 in the morning. I also think living in the dorms would be a great way to meet people.

Quick Question Everyone: Has anyone who interviewed Nov.3 heard their admissions result? They told us we would hear by Thanksgiving and I am just wondering how many of you have. Also, if you haven't heard or for those in the past who did not hear by the day, Did you call the admissions office? I am thinking of doing that on Monday since I am sure they will be closed tomorrow. Will they tell me the result over the phone?

Thanks for any info! Happy Thanksgiving! :)

congratulations everyone!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick Question Everyone: Has anyone who interviewed Nov.3 heard their admissions result?

I interviewed on Nov. 3 and received a phone call on 11/17 and the info packet 11/25. I am sending my deposit in this week :) Did you hear anything yet ewhitmore? Good luck to you! :luck:

I just mailed my deposit in today. My interact now was finally updated. It is really cool.

Dr Saab,
I have a family and I am staying right where I am..I already live near school (about 45 min away).

I really look forward to meeting you all!! We are gonna be doctors.

Marcia D

I'm so glad to see a couple people who are going to CCOM have families. I don't have any kids, but I am married. When I was at my interview, it seemed like everybody was single and lived on campus. I thought that I wasn't going to fit in since I won't be living on in the dorms or campus apartments....unless the campus apartments allow dogs...

I'm so glad to see a couple people who are going to CCOM have families. I don't have any kids, but I am married. When I was at my interview, it seemed like everybody was single and lived on campus. I thought that I wasn't going to fit in since I won't be living on in the dorms or campus apartments....unless the campus apartments allow dogs...[/QUOTE

I own my home just across the border in Indiana and I will be staying there. It is about a 45 minute commute, but worth it to keep my house and the cost of living is so much lower.

I'm now able to access the Interact now page and something doesn't make sense to me... I'm planning on living on campus just for the conveniance. Looking at their housing options, they allow 3,9,and 12 month contracts. However, it seems that the longer contracts are more expensive? (see below) A 3 mo contract would would be 716.66$/mo whereas a 9 mo contract is 733.33$/mo. Is that correct? I would think a longer contract would be/should be cheaper (kinda like buying in bulk) or am I totally wrong?
One bedroom apartment
3-mo. contract $2,150
9-mo. contract $2,200/qtr ($6,600/contract period)
12-mo. contract $2,060/qtr ($8,240/contract period)

I'm now able to access the Interact now page and something doesn't make sense to me... I'm planning on living on campus just for the conveniance. Looking at their housing options, they allow 3,9,and 12 month contracts. However, it seems that the longer contracts are more expensive? (see below) A 3 mo contract would would be 716.66$/mo whereas a 9 mo contract is 733.33$/mo. Is that correct? I would think a longer contract would be/should be cheaper (kinda like buying in bulk) or am I totally wrong?
One bedroom apartment
3-mo. contract $2,150
9-mo. contract $2,200/qtr ($6,600/contract period)
12-mo. contract $2,060/qtr ($8,240/contract period)

The 12 month contract is much cheaper. Does not make much sense that the price goes up then back down. Maybe you could clal and ask.

Marcia

The 12 month contract is much cheaper. Does not make much sense that the price goes up then back down. Maybe you could clal and ask.

Marcia

Wow, thanks for pointing that out... didn't even see it. I bet it's cause students go off campus in the summer and its a way for them to keep tenants. I guess that makes sense.... but not the difference b/w 3 and 9 month

live off campus. it's alot cheaper.

live off campus. it's alot cheaper.

Some students and myself are thinking of commuting as an option. I am talking about those that will be driving 45 mins - 1 hour everyday. What are your thoughts on this? Those of us with families find it a lot cheaper to stay put considering how expensive Downers Grove is.

How hard would it be on me as a student? My plan is to come early to campus. Study, and then go to class. I am really not into the whole idea of going to class everyday til 4. I will probably just go to the mandatory classes while use the rest of the time to study on my own. The only thing that I am concerned about is the anatomy lab. Some people have said they need to come in late in order to go over everything on the cadavers on their own. Anything else that I should be worried about?

Some students and myself are thinking of commuting as an option. I am talking about those that will be driving 45 mins - 1 hour everyday. What are your thoughts on this? Those of us with families find it a lot cheaper to stay put considering how expensive Downers Grove is.

How hard would it be on me as a student? My plan is to come early to campus. Study, and then go to class. I am really not into the whole idea of going to class everyday til 4. I will probably just go to the mandatory classes while use the rest of the time to study on my own. The only thing that I am concerned about is the anatomy lab. Some people have said they need to come in late in order to go over everything on the cadavers on their own. Anything else that I should be worried about?

Personally, I'm choosing to live on campus purely for conveniance. As you have probably heard, we have 2-3 tests a week on Mon/Thurs at 730am. With a commute of 45mins-1 hr, you would have to leave around 6:15 (a little extra time to be safe) 2 days a week.... which means getting up around 5:45? Also considering if you wanted to use extra time to study that morning or night before would cut down on the ammoutn of sleep. For me, sleep is really important. However, obviously depending on your personal habits and the ammount of money you would save, it may work better for you.

Where do most off campus students live? I was doing some online apartment searching and did not find many decent rents.

find some roommates. Most one bedrooms are around 800-1000.

two bedrooms about 1000-1400

and so one.

check out yorktown, versailles, international village.

there are also independent places around the area or in neighboring towns: wheaton, lisle, woodridge, lombard etc. that area cheaper, just gotta find them. Just the other day i saw a 4 bedroom house going for 362/month per person.

It's offical!!!! Just sent in both deposits...I couldn't be more happy about my decision.

Micah6:8 Do you remember me from the interview? I think you're the one who gave me a ride back to my hotel...looks like we'll be classmates afterall :)

It's offical!!!! Just sent in both deposits...I couldn't be more happy about my decision.

Micah6:8 Do you remember me from the interview? I think you're the one who gave me a ride back to my hotel...looks like we'll be classmates afterall :)

Cool. I was just thinking about you the other day and wondering if you had made a decision. It will be nice to see a familiar face next year.

I'm so glad to see a couple people who are going to CCOM have families. I don't have any kids, but I am married. When I was at my interview, it seemed like everybody was single and lived on campus. I thought that I wasn't going to fit in since I won't be living on in the dorms or campus apartments....unless the campus apartments allow dogs...

I own my home just across the border in Indiana and I will be staying there. It is about a 45 minute commute, but worth it to keep my house and the cost of living is so much lower.

Do you really think that will work once you begin rotations in your 3rd year?

Congrats all,
Have you guys received any papers from Department of Student Services related to Immunization?? The Matriculation agreement talks about it(Page 3, First bullet point). Was wondering if I was the only one who havent received the papers.

Congrats all,
Have you guys received any papers from Department of Student Services related to Immunization?? The Matriculation agreement talks about it(Page 3, First bullet point). Was wondering if I was the only one who havent received the papers.

I am pretty sure that a few weeks after CCOM recieves your first matriculation deposit, you should get another packet with some more information in it, including info about the immunizations.

Do you really think that will work once you begin rotations in your 3rd year?

Actually, 3rd and 4th years will be even better. Many of the rotations are with St. James Olympia Fields and associated clinics as well as some with the Margaret Mercy System. These are located 30 minutes and 10 minutes from my home.

It looks like I will be going to CCOM, and I will send my moo-lah on Monday.
Is anybody else kind of freaked out by the exams every Monday morning? The students who go there don't seem to say much about it, but I must admit that I am a little intimidated by the idea of every weekend being shot.

It looks like I will be going to CCOM, and I will send my moo-lah on Monday.
Is anybody else kind of freaked out by the exams every Monday morning? The students who go there don't seem to say much about it, but I must admit that I am a little intimidated by the idea of every weekend being shot.

Almost every Monday AND Thursday I think. I think it'll be a good way to keep up in line and prepped for the boards. My gf is in law school at UIUC right now taking finals. The final exam is the ONLY grade that affects her course grade as they have no other exams in b/w. I guess this would be on the other extreme side of things.

Almost every Monday AND Thursday I think. I think it'll be a good way to keep up in line and prepped for the boards. My gf is in law school at UIUC right now taking finals. The final exam is the ONLY grade that affects her course grade as they have no other exams in b/w. I guess this would be on the other extreme side of things.

I knew about the Thursday exams, but for some reason they don't freak me out as much. I am a night-owl, and I'm going to have change my habits before I start at CCOM and have to be up at the crack of dawn!

To see your status, records, etc. click on the icons at the top of the page after you sign in. They are to the left of the "sign out" and "close window" icon in the upper right hand corner of the page.

They will send you your student ID# and password in the mail.

Don't worry about the exams. The reason why students don't really say that much is because you get used them very quickly. Medical school is a complete change from undergrad/postgrad work. At first everything was really overwhelming, but eventually everything becomes habit. As for the weekends being shot...there is always time to go out and have fun. Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted thus far!!

Hey guys... I'm currently an MS1 here at CCOM, and I was talking to a prof on the adcom. Acceptances were made today and someone from my Alma Mater, PSU, was accepted!! Yay for him/her...

Good Luck everyone else...I'd assume you'll be hearing tomorrow.

Also, I agree about exams... They become part of your routine and don't completely kill your social life. And they aren't EVERY week. Sometimes it seems that way because of how fast time goes by, but it isn't that bad.

I was just wondering when we should be expecting all of the student services information about immunizations, housing, etc. FYI- I was accepted Nov. 17th and have sent in my deposit, matriculation agreement, technical standards agreement, and the background check thing. Maybe I am just impatient/too excited. Any info would be helpful, thanks!

should be getting them soon. I think i recieved mine about 1-2 months after my final deposit and accepted the seat.

I was just wondering when we should be expecting all of the student services information about immunizations, housing, etc. FYI- I was accepted Nov. 17th and have sent in my deposit, matriculation agreement, technical standards agreement, and the background check thing. Maybe I am just impatient/too excited. Any info would be helpful, thanks!

All of that can be seen on Interact Now. To see your status, records, etc. click on the icons at the top of the page after you sign in. They are to the left of the "sign out" and "close window" icon in the upper right hand corner of the page. Click on the little paper with a check mark, that is the "accepted student checklist". Is has your immunization, transcript info, etc.

I sent in my deposit December 10 and have received my ID# and password to access that list. They sent it via snail mail about a week later.

All of that can be seen on Interact Now. To see your status, records, etc. click on the icons at the top of the page after you sign in. They are to the left of the "sign out" and "close window" icon in the upper right hand corner of the page. Click on the little paper with a check mark, that is the "accepted student checklist". Is has your immunization, transcript info, etc.

I sent in my deposit December 10 and have received my ID# and password to access that list. They sent it via snail mail about a week later.

Thanks for the info... I already am aware of Interact Now and check it frequently but I have yet to receive the ID# and password. I am sure it is coming.

I talked to Michael Laken and he said that Department of student service is in the process of compiling the immunization documents for accepted students and we will receive them soon.

Hey guys... I'm currently an MS1 here at CCOM, and I was talking to a prof on the adcom. Acceptances were made today and someone from my Alma Mater, PSU, was accepted!! Yay for him/her...

Good Luck everyone else...I'd assume you'll be hearing tomorrow.

Also, I agree about exams... They become part of your routine and don't completely kill your social life. And they aren't EVERY week. Sometimes it seems that way because of how fast time goes by, but it isn't that bad.

I got in!!

Does CCOM charge you a huge amt for parking if you live on campus? For my first year, I would likely live on campus for simplicity. Second year, my S/O would move to chicago and I'd need room for both of us...

Thanks!

How long did it take your deposits and forms to show up on Interact Now after you sent them? I plugged in the tracking number, and USPS shows that it was delivered to Midwestern on Monday the 18th, but Mr. Laken told me today that they don't have it yet. I'm freaking out because Friday is the deadline for the deposit and forms.
This is me wishing I had sent my stuff in sooner: :scared:

How long did it take your deposits and forms to show up on Interact Now after you sent them? I plugged in the tracking number, and USPS shows that it was delivered to Midwestern on Monday the 18th, but Mr. Laken told me today that they don't have it yet. I'm freaking out because Friday is the deadline for the deposit and forms.
This is me wishing I had sent my stuff in sooner: :scared:

Don't worry, as long as it is postmarked the date before the deposit was due u r good. Interact Now is totally messed up and I assume they are not really focusing on updating the interact now account as much as they are focusing on interview invites and admission process. I had my transcripts sent in on Nov 27, and they are still nowhere to be found. :D . I was told that "it's not that important right now anyways to get ur transcripts in, u have till July".

Will it be a good idea to share our chat IDs(yahoo, MSN, AIM, etc) so that it is easy to respond and ask questions instead of posting here and waiting for others to respond?? I know i am on chat most of the time.

That is a good idea. I am mdille2 on AIM just like here on SDN.
Marcia

I got in!!

Does CCOM charge you a huge amt for parking if you live on campus? For my first year, I would likely live on campus for simplicity. Second year, my S/O would move to chicago and I'd need room for both of us...

Thanks!

CCOM has free parking! there's a nice structure free for anyone :)