*** Official CCOM Class of 2011 ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, slowly getting both excited and worried, what is everyone wearing monday?

I was thinking nice shirt and a Tie, or should it be like a suit?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, slowly getting both excited and worried, what is everyone wearing monday?

Dress is supposed to be business casual. So, not a suit...I am not wearing a tie...but I am a girl..lol
Marcia

it says business casual so I am goign with a formal pant and a shirt, no tie. But that's just me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm trying to figure out what to wear also...I'm gonna go with black or khaki pants, but as far as shirts, a lot of mine are dressy but sleeveless. Is that ok?

I'm trying to figure out what to wear also...I'm gonna go with black or khaki pants, but as far as shirts, a lot of mine are dressy but sleeveless. Is that ok?
I am wearing capris (navy or khaki) and a collared shirt. I think a sleeveless shirt is fine. I knw one of the letters said it should be something you want in a picture, because they are taking our ID pics.
Marcia

Can someone post a link to the facebook group..i can't seem to find it...also i move in tomorrow and havent begun packing yet either..hahaha... i'm just gonna get my key tomorrow and hopefully move on sunday, and during the orientation week .....

Good Moving day vibes to all those moving today! See you on Monday!

Marcia

hey folks. can anyone give me a little orientation info... CCOM has neglected to send me the orientation packet- but i am sure my parents are enjoying the reading at their house. :) SOOOO... until i deal with that tomorrow, can someone just give me the monday am details. ..where and when.
thanks, theresa

oh... and i have opted to wear absolutely nothing in the name of medicine.

8:00 Registration
8:45 Dean's Welcome
10:00 AOA ans IOMS
10:30 SOMA
10:45 Student Insurance
11:30 Prep for Vision Statement
11:45 Lunch
1:00 Intro to PBC
2:00 "Taking Care of Business" Fingerprinting, White Coat fitting. Dining Service
4:30 Vision Table Leaders
5:30 Family Picnic (Picnic Grove)

Hope this helps!
Marcia

HEY! Thanks for the info... where am i going for the registration?
theresa

Members don't see this ad :)
Littlejohn Hall

Hi everyone, I hope you are having a good time at orientation. I was at the question and answer session yesterday and heard a student ask about research at CCOM. This year, the research club is working hard to get some good speakers to come in and talk about the importance of research in medicine and also how getting involved with research as a student can significantly improve your chances of landing a competitive residency. I encourage any of you that are interested in research next summer to get involved with the club this year. New ideas are welcome. Please email me if you have any questions or comments!

-Trent, MSII
President
CCOM Research Club

[email protected]
ccomresearch.googlepages.com

Hey guys,
I have some books for sale:

-1 clinically orientated anatomy (like new, no markings) $35 (they are around $70 new)

-1 grants dissector (like new, no markings) ill take $25 (they go for $50 new)

PM me if interested

Has anyone heard of getting into CCOM with an 18 on the MCAT?

can someone give me an idea of ccom's curriculum? is it problem based? I'm trying to write the secondary essay. thanks.

Can any of you MS-1s give a little insight into your day? I've seen the paper schedule, but curious how class attendance is and what people do in their class times.

Thank you much!

If you have seen a paper schedule, then you pretty much know what we do. Our MS-I class so far has a good reputation among the faculty for class attendance. At least that was true for the first quarter.
Some of that may be due to the fact that while all of our classes are not mandatory attendance, there is enough built in to keep us going.

Examples: Biochemistry workshops 2x per week. if you miss one without a valid excuse, 3% off final grade. For Biochem lectures, most people go because they have random 'minute papers' during the lecture that count a total of 7.5% of final grade.
Anatomy lab: you go two out of the three afternoons. Mandatory.
Physiology: mandatory case presentations every other week.
Clinical medicine: mandatory lab
OMM: 4 hours per week. A quiz is given every week at some point during lab or lecture. NO make-ups. Attendance is also taken at the end of lab and if you are not there to sign the attendance sheet, you also get a zero for the quiz.
Some of this was put into place because attendance was very low in previous years.
So, our days are long and we are in class a lot. Some find this difficult. I just look at it as one less time I have to review the notes myself.

Do any of you know the odds of getting off the alternate list. The counselor i spoke with gave me grim news. She said something like " of the hundred who make the alt list maybe 5-25 get accepted" i dont know if she made that figure up, i would expect more than 5 ppl taken off the waitlist but what do i know. Was hoping some first years can give some insight. Thanks! Im deperate to get in!:cool:

Hey guys,
I'm a second year at CCOM and looking to find some medical students to take over our rent this summer (probably sometime in August). My fiance and I live in a 2BR/1Bath house about 10 mins from campus and a few blocks from the train station that we love, but will be giving up for finer city living once I start my rotations. We wanted to post on here b/c we love our landlords and want to find them good tenants when we leave. If anyone is interested, please send me a PM and I can give you more information.

Thanks!

Anatomy Class at CCOM

Hi guys, I will be starting at CCOM in the fall and was wondering if anyone could tell me what you learn first in anatomy?...whether it be the extremities, thorax yada yada. I was given netter's anatomy flash cards and figured i would familiarize myself before i begin school ( yeah my job is really that boring :) )

And on another note.....i was curious as to what everyone's study habits were in undergrad and if they changed for medical school. If so, what works for you now. After talking to my roomie (who's at miami med and who studied very similiar to me in undergrad) Ive come to the realization that i'm going to have to make a drastic change...im just trying to ease my transition. Btw, i was a hard core note taker. And who goes to class? My roomate told me that was a waste of time as well:)

Thanks for the input!!

Plenty but too many to list on here. You will meet your big sib this week which is the person you should direct those ?'s at later. Get a variety of answers on what students tried, one thing I can say is it is WORK! There is no easy way out so just use your time efficiently.

If you have ?'s after next week PM me.