VCOM Class of 2011!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

latoyadphillips

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to take the time to say hello to my fellow classmates and CONGRATS :thumbup: . It is great knowing so soon that I will be attending VCOM. I received my call on 10/26/06 the day after my interview. How awesome is that. I love this school.

With that said, to the class of 2011 stop by and let your presence be know.

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be going there next fall! I'm excited I think it'll be a great atmosphere to learn medicine. I'm a runner, biker and outdoorsman so the Blue Ridge Mountains are a great place to be. Also its awesome to be a Hokie and get tickets to the games at Vtech! Great primary care sports medicine program!

I'll be joining you guys! I'm so excited! I interviewed Nov 7 and got a call two days later Nov 9 the same day the committee met. I think I was so excited I started screaming on the phone and I thanked the representative a million times because she was laughing. Congrats, cant wait to meet everyone. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
When are you guys going to start looking for places to stay? I'm still trying to decide if I want a roomate or to live by myself there are pros and cons to both

Congrats you guys, I'm in 2010, let me know if you have any questions. CMG leasing has the apartment complexes right across the street from the school, they're called Knollwood and The Crossing at Knollwood. See you guys next year.

Hey VCOM newbies, congratulations on your acceptance!!! I'm a 3rd year student so if you have any questions regarding clinical rotations or anything in general don't hesitate to PM me, I'd be glad to help.

I'm in a bad situation....I am working for Riverside Hospital and they offer tuition reimbursement for those attending any medical school. My problem is I work part-time and for part-timers I would have to work a year before I am eligible for them to pay for my schooling. For full-time you only have to work 6 months previous. My year will be up August 21 but I believe orientation will begin around the same time as last year...August 16th. I think orientation is mandatory, am I correct?? That would be horrible if I missed out on this. I may become full time but I dont know if they have any positions and another job is willing to pay me $3 more an hour but they only have full time positions. What should I do :scared: Is orientation mandatory?

yea i was wondering where the best cheapest places to live are? One of the girls we had lunch w/ on the interview says she pays $400 for her townhouse in christiansburg and shes alone! Just wondering if there are sites and stuff u guys recommend? Also what additional books do u recommend getting? I've heard some of the textbooks you don't really need? Is it helpful to get BRS books or USMLE books to go thru throughout the first 2 yrs?

Also what are clinicals like? All long hours and scutwork? Are they pretty reasonable and get for learning? Are they all kinda close to blacksburg? What if you had a family would u be able to work closer..say in roanoke?

Any other info about first yr or anything that you wish u wouldve known would be great. Thanks!

Yes, orientation is 'mandatory.' Just like many other things here. Unless things have changed, nothing is covered those first few days that can't be picked up later--most of it is introductions, rules, various forms of meet-and-greet, etc. Where is Riverside Hospital? If it is somewhat nearby (I don't even know what state you're from), you could maintain your part-time status, and work a shift or two after that first week (then leave), thus maintaining your part-time status for the full year. Either that, or work up until school starts, and have your official day of resignation be after August 21 (the last day you work, and your resignation date do not usually have to be the same day). As for the other job: what's worh more to you, an extra $3/hr for a few months, or possible tuition reimbursement? I think I'd go for the tuition.

Buy the BRS books, they will save your butt. Cheaper apartments are available, if you know where to look. Christiansburg is often a little cheaper than Blacksburg (fewer college students, too). I'm living in the bottom floor of a house in Blacksburg (two large bedrooms, 1 bath, kitchen, huge living room, shared storage area with washers/dryers for each apartment) for $550 between my roomate and I. Utilities bring my monthly rent to around $300. I went through Raines Property Management (http://www.rainespropertymanagement.com/).

Can't speak on clinicals, not there yet (next year). Locations are spread out, though (Norton, Martinsville, Blacksburg, Roanoke, Wytheville, etc). And we (second-years) still have no idea where we are going to be sent next year.

As to housing... a lot of my class ended up subletting their apartments once they found out where they were going to do rotations in their 3rd year. The 2009 class should be finding out by March so if you dont have a place by then, there more than likely will be placing coming up from the 2009ers leaving the area.

Hi 2011ers. I understand the excitement. Now that you know where you are going for med school, its time to make all the arrangements--books to buy, places to live, roommates?.... Fortunately, you still have lots of time.

Soon Megan will put together a list (or at least she has in the past) of students looking for roommates. There will probably also be a list of ppl trying to sublet their apts, townhouses, and houses after they figure out their MSIII and MSIV rotations.

As for books, when you get your required books lists feel free to post it on here and ask current students what was helpful or not. BRS books are generally not required, but sometimes highly suggested by students.

Orientation is mandatory. I think the circumstance of missing it for a few extra days of work and tuition is a really good reason to talk to the school about a special circumstance. I don't think there is any way you will be able to miss class, but orientation is really only basic information and class bonding.

So the current students are always available. Just let us know if you have questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering for rotations can u stay in one general area or do u have to move around alot. For example if you're married and your spouse has a job in roanoke. Can you do most of your rotations in roanoke, salem, and the rural areas within decent driving distance? If i was single it wouldnt matter to me but if I have a family I don't wanna move a bunch and be away for months at a time? Thanks for your responses.

I was wondering for rotations can u stay in one general area or do u have to move around alot. For example if you're married and your spouse has a job in roanoke. Can you do most of your rotations in roanoke, salem, and the rural areas within decent driving distance? If i was single it wouldnt matter to me but if I have a family I don't wanna move a bunch and be away for months at a time? Thanks for your responses.

If you are married and your spouse works in Roanoke you will have a "special circumstance" for wanting a particular rotation area. Due to your life situation you would likely get your first choice of rotation options. If you have children you would be a lock to get your first choice. However, there were some people in my class that were married with no children that got rotation options that require them to move around quite a bit and be away from their spouses for extended periods. Most of the options do not require much moving around for example, I rotate between Roanoke, Salem, and Radford while I live in Blacksburg and commute. I hope this helps.

Its official! I sent my tuition deposit yesterday and I got the "welcome to VCOM" email saying I held my seat welcome, and all that great stuff. Now I just need to worry about insurance and housing. I'm so glad this stage of my life is over, so much less stress!

yay!! I have to send my money in very soon...... I dont have any at the moment..... and it is next semester when I get my loans and stuff..... hmmm

I'm glad we can all get an early start on getting to know one another as I'm sure we will be spending many hours together as the next few years pass!

What is everyones brief history so we can all get a glimpse of the makeup of our 2011 class?

I graduated from James Madison in '04, spent two years at VCU-MCV getting my masters degree and doing research, and am excited to come to Blacksburg and make the transition to a Hokie fan (which shouldnt be hard since our football team lost by 40 to VT)

I'm glad we can all get an early start on getting to know one another as I'm sure we will be spending many hours together as the next few years pass!

What is everyones brief history so we can all get a glimpse of the makeup of our 2011 class?

I graduated from James Madison in '04, spent two years at VCU-MCV getting my masters degree and doing research, and am excited to come to Blacksburg and make the transition to a Hokie fan (which shouldnt be hard since our football team lost by 40 to VT)

From Hampton, VA, I went to VCU also (for undergrad)...just graduated 4 days ago! I was a psychology major with a minor in chem. I start a new job within my major in January as a counselor at a residential center for adolescents with ADHD and Bipolar Disorder. I will be working there and at Riverside hospital until school starts. It'll be hard going from a large city like richmond to a more rural area but I like change and I can get acclimated to anything. I cant wait to see everyone. I have nothing to do before school starts again so I'm just hanging around waiting. :D

I am still at school at UNC Chapel Hill... I am the starting heavyweight wrestler there... I originate from Holland, Michigan... hmmm

Welcome to VCOM everyone! You'll really like it here once you get started. Yes orientation is mandatory and quite boring. But it's worth it I guess.....As far as living arrangements, if the girl you talked to runfast5k was a first year named Jessica, then she's got a special arrangement. I live in Bburg in Ridgewood Village and it's 650 a month for 3 bedrooms and the only utility you pay is electricity (about $40 a month). They're not the greatest but they're cheap. Looking forward to seeing you all hear. Mostly b/c it means I get to move rooms! Have fun with Dr. Amin!:sleep:

I just got this email with the invite to the Winter Gala...

For current VCOM students: What is this "party" like? and do/should future students come if they can make the trip???

For Class of 2011: Is anyone thinking about heading down for the weekend? I'm going to give my friend who's an MSII a call and get some details.

That depends on who you know and what pre-party you go to.
Find Puraj Patel

Hi 2011ers

I'm going to be a MS4 and I'm trying to keep my townhouse. That means I need roommates. Since I'll probably be gone for most of the year, that also means that this will be a basically empty furnished place.

My townhouse is in the Heathwood/Foxridge community of Blacksburg, 8 mins from VCOM. The community has a lot of stuff available, basketball/tennis/volleyball courts, work out room, 2 pools, and lots of bike/walking trails throughout the neighborhood and connecting to the Huckleberry Trail.

The townhouse is 2000 sq ft divided into 3 floors. There are 4 bedrooms, 2 full and 2 half baths, 2 living rooms, kitchen, dining room, oversize washer and dryer, and a patio. I'm looking for 2 roommates who would get their own room and office space.

Rent is $350/month + utilities. Please e-mail me, [email protected] if you are interested or have any questions.

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to keep our thread going and say good luck to those who have interviews at VCOM in the next few weeks...

For those already in the 2011 class, Do you have any plans before we get started this August? I'm actually planning on taking a little trip over to Europe to visit my cousins in England then maybe backpacking around Italy for a couple weeks. I might as well do it before we buckle down with classes!

Anyone have any interest in traveling overseas???

Hey guys! I'm not official yet, but I had my interview today and feel REALLY confident. This school seems fantastic and everyone is nice. :D

I was having trouble choosing between VCOM and DCOM, but I think I like the Blacksburg better than Harrogate (TN). Any ideas or suggestions on that?

I love the area of Blacksburg... nice little town with everything I need still... lots of activities to do too!

I moved down to Virginia for college and have been all over the state for the past 6 years. From Harrisonburg (James Madison U) to Richmond (Virginia Commonwealth U) and now to Blacksburg. The people, atmosphere, and college town of Blacksburg have a lot to offer. The outdoor activities, sports, and good social scene are just a couple things that attract me to the area besides the actual school itself.

A few of my friends are in the program now and they have really enoyed their experience so far. I'm looking forward to becoming a part of the VCOM legacy, becoming a doctor, and having a great time doing it!

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to keep our thread going and say good luck to those who have interviews at VCOM in the next few weeks...

For those already in the 2011 class, Do you have any plans before we get started this August? I'm actually planning on taking a little trip over to Europe to visit my cousins in England then maybe backpacking around Italy for a couple weeks. I might as well do it before we buckle down with classes!

Anyone have any interest in traveling overseas???

Def interested in traveling overseas... Should be a great experience and tons of fun. Does this look better for residencies? I mean- do they look at that?

Hey guys! I'm officially in now.

Hey guys!
I was recently accepted to VCOM and really loved the school and atmosphere. I am trying to choose between VCOM and OUCOM I would be out of state for both.
Any suggestions would be great!!!!

Congrats everybody!

No five year contract....VCOM:thumbup:

I just got the news yesterday. It's kinda funny since I was at another interview when it hit my voicemail. I love the quick turn around that other medical schools don't seem to have. Anyway I'm excited!!!!

Greg

Guess I need to change my name to PHDDO2B

I just got the news yesterday. It's kinda funny since I was at another interview when it hit my voicemail. I love the quick turn around that other medical schools don't seem to have. Anyway I'm excited!!!!

Greg

Guess I need to change my name to PHDDO2B

Were any of you at the interview this past Tue?

My interview was on Jan 11th

Just keeping the VCOM post alive- where is everyone? Is anyone excited as I am?

Hey Everyone,

I've been looking at places to live for next year and I just ran into a friend of mine in Richmond who played on our softball team last spring. He owns some property in Blacksburg and has a townhome available for this upcoming year.

The address on the townhouse is 2808 Newton Ct. It is a 3BR 2.5 Bath two story townhouse. The neighborhood is in the Hethwood/Foxridge planned community. Their is a food lion about 100 yards away. Their is also access to two pools, two workout rooms, the bigger of the pools is primarily a student pool. There are also miles of running trails around the place. It is about a seven minute commute to the med school or the hospital. Most of the neighborhood is grad students.

He's a good friend of mine and would give us a really good price for rent. I'm thinking about heading up there sometime soon to check out the place, so I'll keep you updated, but if anyone is interested in getting a place together let me know and we'll keep in touch. I know I talked to Spencer (theDon) about roommate situations and you might have a friend right?

I have a few pictures of the place so if you want me to send them to you, give me your email address.

OK, back to getting together the hundred things we have to complete before school starts....

Andrew.

What is the website that the VCOMers have? Some guy from the interview lunch (name was Lowry) said there was a sight at www.vcomstudents.com, but it's not coming up.

Nevermind- just found it. It's www.vcomstudent.com.

Oh cool thats my first time seeing that vcom student website. Thanks! Anyone going to the accepted students day in march?

hey all, I'll definately go to the 'accepted day' just to get a little more acquainted with the area and finally meet some of the people I'll be sharing my med school experience with! I'm ready to start...sort of...

Hello Everyone, I will be going to the accepted student day. I look forward to meeting you all.

I'll probably be attending the student day- I want to get an idea of the townhomes/condo's in the area.

After seeing those photo's Drew sent me, I'm probably going to buy. I'll need at least one roommate! Anyone like to get up early and run?

I like to run! (ok more like a jog haha) but I'll definitely be exercising everyday to keep me stress free. In a way Im ready to go to school because i'm working two jobs and it sucks but I know the work will hit me hard. Itll be an experience I can say that much. Cant wait to meet everyone.

I like to run! (ok more like a jog haha) but I'll definitely be exercising everyday to keep me stress free. In a way Im ready to go to school because i'm working two jobs and it sucks but I know the work will hit me hard. Itll be an experience I can say that much. Cant wait to meet everyone.

This is great we have some runners in the class. Maybe we can get our own runner's club together.

When is everyone going to move there? We should have a BBQ or something.

Welcome to VCOM everyone!! I am in the class of 2010 and wanted to let all of you know you have made good choice in deciding to come to Blacksburg. Please send me a PM if you have any questions. I am also on the Navy HPSP scholarship and Vice Pres of the Military club (AMOPS) at VCOM and I would love to answer any of your questions. See you in August!

Hey everyone, I set up a group on Facebook so we can get together, meet, and discuss issues such as housing. Feel free to join!

Here is the website ---> Facebook Group

hey guys...i got the call today. i was sleeping (working 3rd shift currently) so i wasn't sure if i was dreaming or not. i kept looking at my phone after i hung up to see if they had really called. congratulations to everybody. if feels like the weight of the world has been lifted. now i gotta work some overtime to take care of the deposit.

good luck to everybody...