UTMB Class of 2011!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KStarXO

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yay! We will be in Galveston, TX for 4 years!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

99% sure I'll be joining you... now if only i could get it in an official letter that i am really accepted... :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Did any of y'all also get accepted to UTH (or another school)? If so, why did you choose UTMB over others. I'm into UTH and UTMB so far, and I liked UTMB's preclinical curriculum (and board scores), but didn't like the location (45 min to civilization!), and to a lesser extent, the clinical opportunities (as compared to TMC).

At UTH, TMC would create some great clinical opportunities, and I would much prefer to live in Houston instead of Galveston. In general, it just seems like UTH as an institution is on the way up, while UTMB is declining. (I've heard reports of faculty migration in addition to UTMB's financial problems.)

I had trouble at first deciding which school I would decline between UTSA and UTMB, and still am struggling with it. I am leaning heavily toward UTMB becasue that is where my parents a bunch of bunch of badass doctors around them went (these docs ended up on TX Monthly's Superdoc issue) went, so ambivalence is leading me to panic. .....Any thoughts on that?

Did any of y'all also get accepted to UTH (or another school)? If so, why did you choose UTMB over others. I'm into UTH and UTMB so far, and I liked UTMB's preclinical curriculum (and board scores), but didn't like the location (45 min to civilization!), and to a lesser extent, the clinical opportunities (as compared to TMC).

At UTH, TMC would create some great clinical opportunities, and I would much prefer to live in Houston instead of Galveston. In general, it just seems like UTH as an institution is on the way up, while UTMB is declining. (I've heard reports of faculty migration in addition to UTMB's financial problems.)

By clinical opportunities in Houston, do you mean hands on, you're really doing the procedures, or that you just get to volunteer and see patients more? In Galveston, I get the feeling that you actually get hands-on experience with patients immediately.

doesn't galveston rain a lot and is super humid?

Heck yeah, it does! That is what is so great....heheeh

I got the email and the letter but I am not too sure if this is the place for me. What are the advantages of UTMB over UTH aside from the higher boards... Galveston is kind of a ****hole, too, right?

I got the email and the letter but I am not too sure if this is the place for me. What are the advantages of UTMB over UTH aside from the higher boards... Galveston is kind of a ****hole, too, right?

biggest reason i love galveston is. 1. board scores 2. curriculum (only in school from 8-12) and houston you'll be in class from 9-5 almost every day. 3. close to to houston. 4. large class size etc... etc... it comes down to the best school out of the choices i have of schools

Finally got my paperwork today!!!

As a first year at UTMB, i'll give you a number of reasons why its better than UTH.
1) Board scores this past year for UTMB were 99% pass with a mean of 228-229 (2nd in Texas behind Baylor med), while UTH board scores were 217-220.
2) Most weeks, you will only be in class from 8am-12pm...as opposed to being in class from 8am-5pm at UTH (which doesn't include you having to go back home or to the library to try and study).
3) UTMB's curriculum is integrative, thus you are only taking 1 class at a time...thus only 1 mid-term and 1 final....not 5-6 courses at the same time and then having a block test week (~6-7 tests during the week at UTH).
4) PBL is a good break from the monotony of sitting and listening to lectures all day long...while PBL may not be everybody's cup of tea, i'd much rather be learning the clinical correlations to what i'm studying and listening in lecture so i know that what i'm learning know will be used later....besides, would you much rather be spending all day in lecture??
5) I go out every weekend...this doesn't include the weekly intramural sports and working out at the gym. I have time to put enough studying here or there where i'm still near the top of my class.

Any more questions???

Baylorguy -- thanks for the info! I've already chosen UTMB but its nice to have some reassurance

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright BaylorGuy, thanks, that was a pretty comprehensive review.

I still can't get over the fact that the school is kind of old and didn't give me the "come here" vibe like Houston did, but in the end i'll bet my residency prospects will probably be much nicer with a degree from UTMB. Do you have any stats on this?

What about getting paired with high profile faculty members during your rounds in 3rd and 4th year? There are probably more "big names" from Houston so it seems like your rec letters could end up being stronger, but I am only speculating.

Plus, UTMB is getting one of those "level 4" labs constructed by 2008 (or something like that) so that should pave the way for some more state funding it seems. :thumbup:

We will see...

I too, am undecided between UTMB and UTH. I'm leaning towards UTMB because they offered me a very attractive scholarship, but Galveston is just so...blah. Sorry, I'm a city boy born and raised. The smallest city I've ever lived in is Austin.

I guess the most important thing I want to know is: What is there to do in Galveston? I need culture and art in my life. Is there a museum or concert hall? how about a mall? How's the neighborhood? Is it safe? What do you guys do for fun?

If I could convince myself that I'd be able to survive living in Galveston for 4 years, I'd join you guys in a heartbeat.

As a first year at UTMB, i'll give you a number of reasons why its better than UTH.
1) Board scores this past year for UTMB were 99% pass with a mean of 228-229 (2nd in Texas behind Baylor med), while UTH board scores were 217-220.
2) Most weeks, you will only be in class from 8am-12pm...as opposed to being in class from 8am-5pm at UTH (which doesn't include you having to go back home or to the library to try and study).
3) UTMB's curriculum is integrative, thus you are only taking 1 class at a time...thus only 1 mid-term and 1 final....not 5-6 courses at the same time and then having a block test week (~6-7 tests during the week at UTH).
4) PBL is a good break from the monotony of sitting and listening to lectures all day long...while PBL may not be everybody's cup of tea, i'd much rather be learning the clinical correlations to what i'm studying and listening in lecture so i know that what i'm learning know will be used later....besides, would you much rather be spending all day in lecture??
5) I go out every weekend...this doesn't include the weekly intramural sports and working out at the gym. I have time to put enough studying here or there where i'm still near the top of my class.

Any more questions???
I had made up my mind to go to Houston, jerk!!!

:laugh:

I too, am undecided between UTMB and UTH. I'm leaning towards UTMB because they offered me a very attractive scholarship, but Galveston is just so...blah. Sorry, I'm a city boy born and raised. The smallest city I've ever lived in is Austin.

I guess the most important thing I want to know is: What is there to do in Galveston? I need culture and art in my life. Is there a museum or concert hall? how about a mall? How's the neighborhood? Is it safe? What do you guys do for fun?

If I could convince myself that I'd be able to survive living in Galveston for 4 years, I'd join you guys in a heartbeat.

I'm not a student there (yet) but I can answer a bunch of these questions --
There is very little to do on the island, but you are very close to Houston. No good museums, a few bars, a couple restaurants, and no mall... There is a Target, Walmart, and a Kroger grocery.

The neighborhood around UTMB is not the nicest and the apartments closest to the school are pretty old and run down. However, there are much nicer ones (cheap cost of living too) across the island. I would worry about safety about as much as Houston. Yes, there are lots of indigents around the school and the crime rate is fairly high for the population (can't remember exact stats but personal property vandalism is pretty high).

However, UTMB is an AMAZING school! I am choosing UTMB over my other choices because of the reputation of the school, quality of faculty, more direct patient care, and the nontraditional curriculum. Not having to sit in lectures all day and no block tests is the best fit for me... but I will be driving to Houston a lot for restaurants, shopping, etc.

Any more questions???

The average board scores mean nothing, since all that matters is how much effort you put into it. If you don't like going to class from 9-5, then you don't have to go at UTH. All lectures are videotaped and there is a scribe service. UTH also has PBL, but not until the second year. I know a lot of people at UTH, who go out every weekend, if not multiple times a week...and they are passing. Finally, UTH is not in Galveston. Galveston is a horrible city. I know people say that it has a beach and everything. But from someone who grew up with a real beach in San Diego, I can say that Galveston's beach is disgusting and nothing to be proud of.

The average board scores mean nothing, since all that matters is how much effort you put into it. If you don't like going to class from 9-5, then you don't have to go at UTH. All lectures are videotaped and there is a scribe service. UTH also has PBL, but not until the second year. I know a lot of people at UTH, who go out every weekend, if not multiple times a week...and they are passing. Finally, UTH is not in Galveston. Galveston is a horrible city. I know people say that it has a beach and everything. But from someone who grew up with a real beach in San Diego, I can say that Galveston's beach is disgusting and nothing to be proud of.

lol this is turning into a gangwar haha. well i don't agree i think that board scores do mean something... they definitely reflect the strengh of the teachers and curriculum... i mean you have to give utmb that much credit. the city sucks, no doubt. but it is a great school...................

anyways moving along from the uth vs utmb crap. i think everyone that got accepted to utmb should tell us a lil about themself so we can know more about our future classmates. i'll start.

im 22, from dallas area (arlington) i went to UTA and graduated with a BS in biochem. interviewed on august 4th... anyone have the same interview date as me/lives close? if you do live close are you going to be attending that event utmb is hosting in dallas?

Hello, I am 22 as well....I still attend UT in Austin. I am from Austin, and my parents are thinking about buying a house in Galveston...my parents met at Galveston! How cute and cliche...a nurse and a doctor! I want 2 cats next year, since I haven't been able to have pets in Austin apartments so far! I love to swim and cook. I'd say it's someone else's turn for intros....

...oh! And I interviewed at UTMB on 9/29. I am attending the Austin UTMB alumni event on the 14th of December...let me know if anyone of ya'll is as well!

Alright BaylorGuy, thanks, that was a pretty comprehensive review.

I still can't get over the fact that the school is kind of old and didn't give me the "come here" vibe like Houston did, but in the end i'll bet my residency prospects will probably be much nicer with a degree from UTMB. Do you have any stats on this?

What about getting paired with high profile faculty members during your rounds in 3rd and 4th year? There are probably more "big names" from Houston so it seems like your rec letters could end up being stronger, but I am only speculating.

Plus, UTMB is getting one of those "level 4" labs constructed by 2008 (or something like that) so that should pave the way for some more state funding it seems. :thumbup:

We will see...

There are good faculty here. I know there may not be any "big names" in any special fields however UTMB does have an excellent Anesthesiology program, Burns/surgery program, and OB/GYN program. This is all i've heard so far with the limited experience that I have. However, if you can do your rotations anywhere you want....you can actually do all of your 3rd and 4th year rotations in Austin if you like (which i know has been done on multiple occassions by some upperclass students).

The average board scores do mean something...considering those are going to be the #1 factor when you are applying for different residencies. Yeah they are also going to look at other "intangibles" like pre-clinical grades, LORs, dean's letter, AOA, but whatever anybody tells you, it comes down to board scores and clinical grades. If anything, the high average board scores are going to tell you that if you do well and average in class, then you will do average on the boards...if you had to choose between a college that had an average MCAT score of 27 and an average score of 33, which would you pick??

If you don't like going to lecture, why would you want to go to a school that has a traditional, lecture-based curriculum?? that just seems stupid to me...besides, all lectures at UTMB are recorded and there is a scribe service as well....did i mention that classes are 8-noon?? of which, lectures aren't required.

As for Galveston, I can't beat you there. Its not the best of places, and it doesn't have everything that a big city like houston, dallas, austin, or san antonio has. However, it does have a couple of stage theatres, an opera house, bars, The Strand, and the beach (yeah, i know its a crappy beach, but it aint too bad once and a while). If you are still sick of all this, go and drive 30 minutes up north to Houston.

very well said baylorguy! btw, where should we live? i would really love to just ride a bike to school and not have to use a car much, if at all during the week. how far can you live from campus to be able to do that, and what price range are we looking at for a 1 bedroom at about 7-800 sq. feet?

The average board scores do mean something...considering those are going to be the #1 factor when you are applying for different residencies. Yeah they are also going to look at other "intangibles" like pre-clinical grades, LORs, dean's letter, AOA, but whatever anybody tells you, it comes down to board scores and clinical grades. If anything, the high average board scores are going to tell you that if you do well and average in class, then you will do average on the boards...if you had to choose between a college that had an average MCAT score of 27 and an average score of 33, which would you pick??

If you don't like going to lecture, why would you want to go to a school that has a traditional, lecture-based curriculum?? that just seems stupid to me...besides, all lectures at UTMB are recorded and there is a scribe service as well....did i mention that classes are 8-noon?? of which, lectures aren't required.

As for Galveston, I can't beat you there. Its not the best of places, and it doesn't have everything that a big city like houston, dallas, austin, or san antonio has. However, it does have a couple of stage theatres, an opera house, bars, The Strand, and the beach (yeah, i know its a crappy beach, but it aint too bad once and a while). If you are still sick of all this, go and drive 30 minutes up north to Houston.

I'm not saying that UTMB is a bad school. It has many positive aspects about it. It just isn't the place for me. When I was on the tour I asked my tour guide if UTMB video taped its lectures, and she said no. Maybe she was mistaken or I heard wrong. When it comes down to it, I'm not going to decide to go to a school based on its Step 1. For some it is the deciding factor, just not for me. I feel that I will do my best wherever I go. Anyways, I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade. Congratulations to the class of 2011!

I'm not saying that UTMB is a bad school. It has many positive aspects about it. It just isn't the place for me. When I was on the tour I asked my tour guide if UTMB video taped its lectures, and she said no. Maybe she was mistaken or I heard wrong. When it comes down to it, I'm not going to decide to go to a school based on its Step 1. For some it is the deciding factor, just not for me. I feel that I will do my best wherever I go. Anyways, I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade. Congratulations to the class of 2011!

Hey man, I totally dig what you are saying. UTMB doesn't video-tape lectures...some in my class are trying to figure out ways to make that happen, but its seeming to be more trouble than we expected, but people are still working it out.

I was actually talking about this with some classmates and we've kind of come to the conclusion that each person/applicant has their own reasons for picking certain med schools. We've come to realize that a large majority of the stereotypes you tend to hear about the Texas med schools are right on...and those people who like those environments are in the right place. However, we have heard of the minority of students who've gone to different schools and not like it because they just don't "click" with it (either students, city, rent, curriculum, etc.).

There are a whole bunch of reasons why to pick or not to pick a place. If i were you (to all really)...definitely go and check out the different med schools you were accepted to and see if you really want to go there and not just by hearing it from someone else.

By clinical opportunities in Houston, do you mean hands on, you're really doing the procedures, or that you just get to volunteer and see patients more? In Galveston, I get the feeling that you actually get hands-on experience with patients immediately.

I meant it in all senses. You've got LBJ for the very hands on experience. Hermann, as a public-private hybrid is similar. And then you've got EVERYTHING else in the TMC, providing elective opps and connections/letters.

I almost get the impression that UTMB doesn't even have enough patients, with their increasing shift to rotations and residencies based in Austin. But I could be off base with that one.

(On the other hand, UTMB's preclinical stuff seems a world ahead of UTH's...)

Any more questions???

BAYLORMED...where did you hear that the UTH average scores is 217-220. Or did you read it somewhere. If you look in the UTH Class of 2011 thread...someone posted different stats to this. How can we get reliable STATS on USMLE step 1 scores. You very well may be correct, but I keep hearing different things...very different things, and that's making it a bit frustrating.

Thanks for your help, and providing info on UTMB, dude.

there was two-grand increase in tuition from last year, my concern is, will there be more??

BAYLORMED...where did you hear that the UTH average scores is 217-220. Or did you read it somewhere. If you look in the UTH Class of 2011 thread...someone posted different stats to this. How can we get reliable STATS on USMLE step 1 scores. You very well may be correct, but I keep hearing different things...very different things, and that's making it a bit frustrating.

Thanks for your help, and providing info on UTMB, dude.

My numbers for UTH are most probably off...there are hearsay purely from the Texas Acceptance thread in Pre-allo. However, i just read the "UT-Houston class of 2011" thread in Allo only to find out that UT-Houston's most recent USMLE averaged 208, and has been on a down swing for the past couple of years. I would think that these stats are more reliable than mine (considering the stats posted on the UT-Houston allo thread are straight from the annual faculty meetings for the past few years).

With that in mind, UT-Houston's USMLE is 208 (and on a downswing the past few years), while UTMB's USMLE is 228-230 (and on an upswing the past few years)...a good 20 point jump in the average. I think that right there should be a nice indicator of where to choose.

i think its worth it to post this... its the slide they showed during the interview presentation.

http://www.som.utmb.edu/announcements/USMLE%20Step%201.jpg

I meant it in all senses. You've got LBJ for the very hands on experience. Hermann, as a public-private hybrid is similar. And then you've got EVERYTHING else in the TMC, providing elective opps and connections/letters.

I almost get the impression that UTMB doesn't even have enough patients, with their increasing shift to rotations and residencies based in Austin. But I could be off base with that one.

(On the other hand, UTMB's preclinical stuff seems a world ahead of UTH's...)
If you want to live in a big city, you can still go to UTMB and do your clinical rotations in Austin. Thats the diversity of UTMB. You can choose the location of your rotations. The rotations in austin is because UTMB is the only state funded school and serves more counties than any school in texas and south area. Also, texas legislature did'nt want to spend any money building a new med-school in austin, so they asked UTMB to pick up the challenge. The rotations in austin is not because of patient- population but because UTMB is growing and expanding. They are even building a new 35-million dollar hospital in league-city-clear lake area so they can harnass the patient population they also which means more rotation area.The clinics open 2007. They also have a new national lab coming by 2008. I'm not trying to convince you to go to UTMB because they have enough people who know thier worth already. But its better you have information before making life-time decisions.
No body who goes to UTMB has ever complianed about it because they all enjoy the school, its atmosphere and what it offers. You might wanna ask that question about the school of your choice.

2005:

I guess they don't include the required health insurance?

No, you have got to pick up your own health insurance from an outside affiliate.

there was two-grand increase in tuition from last year, my concern is, will there be more??

When looking at that information its interesting to see where that $2000 came from. It came from something called "designated tuition"...i have no idea what that means. I tried googling it and the only thing i found out was from something at UT-tyler's website

"Designated Tuition, as authorized by State law and approved by the Board of Regents of The University of Texas System, is a required fee for all students and is used to retire bonded indebtedness for construction of facilities utilized by students and for other purposes as approved by the Board of Regents. "

Weird

When looking at that information its interesting to see where that $2000 came from. It came from something called "designated tuition"...i have no idea what that means. I tried googling it and the only thing i found out was from something at UT-tyler's website

"Designated Tuition, as authorized by State law and approved by the Board of Regents of The University of Texas System, is a required fee for all students and is used to retire bonded indebtedness for construction of facilities utilized by students and for other purposes as approved by the Board of Regents. "

Weird

Sounds shady. I don't like it.

Hmmm... on the offer letter it stated that the Biology requirement includes two years of lectures and one year of lab. So does that mean I'll have to take another semester of lab if I only have one semester of bio lab so far???

Hmmm... on the offer letter it stated that the Biology requirement includes two years of lectures and one year of lab. So does that mean I'll have to take another semester of lab if I only have one semester of bio lab so far???

yes -- most lecture classes have a component lab portion and you must have at least 2 biology classes and their associated labs (for all TX state schools)

yes -- most lecture classes have a component lab portion and you must have at least 2 biology classes and their associated labs (for all TX state schools)

I fulfilled my university's (UT Austin) premed requirements (dated Oct. 2006) which contain the following for Biology:

Laboratory: One year of laboratory experience (most frequently chosen from the following)
:

Take one of the following:
BIO 205L
BIO 206L

OR
Two of the following:
BIO 325L
BIO 126L
BIO 331L
BIO 371L
BIO 478L

I took BIO 206L... guess my best bet is to ask UTMB admissions.

crap. How much does that cost? Can we bypass it?

Can't bypass it, but you can ask the financial aid office for some information on insurance and they should give you more info about it. Unfortunately, you can't bypass it

Can't bypass it, but you can ask the financial aid office for some information on insurance and they should give you more info about it. Unfortunately, you can't bypass it

Great, I've gone 22 years of my life without medical insurance and now I need to shell out thousands a year? This is terrible news.

Great, I've gone 22 years of my life without medical insurance and now I need to shell out thousands a year? This is terrible news.

You're going to be a doctor. Get some health insurance. You can (or will be able to) afford it. Set a good example.

Young people without health insurance play a significant role in driving up premiums up for everyone else, making it harder for those who can't or won't be able to afford it to get insurance. And they don't necessarily have the benefit of being healthy. (And, when they become acutely ill and fall into the safety net, their uncompensated care is a strain on the system--the one in which we will soon be practicing.)

[end guilt trip. sorry about that. ;)]

You're going to be a doctor. Get some health insurance. You can (or will be able to) afford it. Set a good example.

Young people without health insurance play a significant role in driving up premiums up for everyone else, making it harder for those who can't or won't be able to afford it to get insurance. And they don't necessarily have the benefit of being healthy. (And, when they become acutely ill and fall into the safety net, their uncompensated care is a strain on the system--the one in which we will soon be practicing.)

[end guilt trip. sorry about that. ;)]

Wait, I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that young healthy people should get health insurance so that they can help pay for the huge health expenditures of the older, less healthy insurance holders?

Insurance = Payments to Doctors and Hospitals

More Insurance = More Payment to Doctors and Hospitals

Cough it up!!!!!! Residents could use a raise!

Wait, I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that young healthy people should get health insurance so that they can help pay for the huge health expenditures of the older, less healthy insurance holders?

I'm saying that if more young people had insurance everyone's premiums would be lower. Insurance companies set their premiums by assessing the risk they take on by insuring their pool of beneficiaries. If that pool has more unhealthy people (probably older) than healthy people, everyone pays more than if the opposite were true. So if more young people, who are generally healthy, had health insurance the overall risk for insurance companies would be lower and competitive pressures would then lead to decreased premiums. (In other words, because more healthy people are less likely to have health insurance, the risk pool is concentrated among those who are insured--who are generally less healthy--making their rates much higher than if everyone had insurance. Of course, it's impossible to have 100% coverage in our healthcare system.)