UTMB Class of 2011!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Labview, did you fill out parental info on fafsa? or did they get this information from tmdsas?

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely filled out my parent's info on the Fafsa. I'm pretty sure you have to submit that to even be considered for any need based aid. If you think there is any way at all that you might qualify for need based aid then I would suggest turning in their info in the future.

Does anyone know anything about the UTMB Medical Student Research Program? What does it involve? Is it even possible for an MS1 to commit any time to it during the year, or is it for the summer after MS1? Who do we talk to if we are interested?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know most people are doing the apartment thing, but I'm interested in living in a house with a yard (I'm pretty sure I'm going to have a dog)...does anyone have any suggestions? Real estate agents, areas to look, areas to avoid, or you know someone who is trying to lease one? I've heard fish village is good, and I'm also interested in the victorian style houses near UTMB. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Also, when is everyone planning on being down there?

I know most people are doing the apartment thing, but I'm interested in living in a house with a yard (I'm pretty sure I'm going to have a dog)...does anyone have any suggestions? Real estate agents, areas to look, areas to avoid, or you know someone who is trying to lease one? I've heard fish village is good, and I'm also interested in the victorian style houses near UTMB. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Also, when is everyone planning on being down there?

I've done some looking around, talking with realestate agents etc. and the general consensus that I have found seems to be that Fish Village is a safe bet as far as property value and safety. You might also try the East End Historic District although most of those properties are out of my price range. Also look on Facebook for UTMB class of 2011. There is good discussion on housing as well as several houses/condos for rent.
I can't tell you any real estate agents to go with but I can tell you that I have found The House Company website (www.thehousecompany.com) to be helpful. The advanced search feature on their site allows you to customize your search by neighborhood etc.

Definitely filled out my parent's info on the Fafsa. I'm pretty sure you have to submit that to even be considered for any need based aid. If you think there is any way at all that you might qualify for need based aid then I would suggest turning in their info in the future.

I have filled out my parental information for one parent, per the instructions to do so for the one that you lived with more or who supported you more than 50%. Could not listing both be hurting me from being fully considered for need-based aid?

I have filled out my parental information for one parent, per the instructions to do so for the one that you lived with more or who supported you more than 50%. Could not listing both be hurting me from being fully considered for need-based aid?

Honestly I'm not sure how that works. If Fafsa and UTMB only ask for info about the parent you live with/are supported by the most then you are probably fine. But the best way to know for sure is to call up enrollment services at UTMB and ask them.

Gobble Town, I only filled out parental info for one parent and ended up with a decent financial package: 9K grant, 2K need-based scholarship and most of the rest in subsidized loans. I'm pretty sure it's the EFC that matters most. Hope that helped!

Gobble Town, I only filled out parental info for one parent and ended up with a decent financial package: 9K grant, 2K need-based scholarship and most of the rest in subsidized loans. I'm pretty sure it's the EFC that matters most. Hope that helped!

That certainly helps!

I will likely be at SA, but I am still confused why their is such a discrepancy in need-based funding within the Texas System. I have an EFC of 0, but my TPEG is no where near 9K. I would certainly be appreciative of 9K+2K in free money! :eek:

Sorry for taking up space on y'alls thread, but any attempt at explaining the difference or a way to counteract it would go a long way.

That certainly helps!

I will likely be at SA, but I am still confused why their is such a discrepancy in need-based funding within the Texas System. I have an EFC of 0, but my TPEG is no where near 9K. I would certainly be appreciative of 9K+2K in free money! :eek:

Sorry for taking up space on y'alls thread, but any attempt at explaining the difference or a way to counteract it would go a long way.

I think that there is more to need based aid than just EFC. As students seeking graduate education we are all considered independent in the government's eyes. That means that EFC is what we, not our parents, are expected to contribute towards our education. Unless you worked last year most med students would have an EFC of 0. Need based aid takes into account your EFC as well as your parents' financial situation.

Take me for example: I worked this last year and so had an EFC of almost 4K. However, my parents make less than 40K per year, don't own a home, have very little in savings, and I have another sibling in college. So even though my EFC is not zero I still got a lot of aid.

Other factors that might have an effect are things like how late you got all your info in and how much aid your school had left when they finally got to alloting your aid.

I think that there is more to need based aid than just EFC. As students seeking graduate education we are all considered independent in the government's eyes. That means that EFC is what we, not our parents, are expected to contribute towards our education. Unless you worked last year most med students would have an EFC of 0. Need based aid takes into account your EFC as well as your parents' financial situation.

Take me for example: I worked this last year and so had an EFC of almost 4K. However, my parents make less than 40K per year, don't own a home, have very little in savings, and I have another sibling in college. So even though my EFC is not zero I still got a lot of aid.

Other factors that might have an effect are things like how late you got all your info in and how much aid your school had left when they finally got to alloting your aid.

Agreed.

I did not work last year, which would explain the 0 EFC, and my parents also make less than 40K. The time frame issue should not be a factor since most med schools are only now packaging their students so funds should not yet be exhausted. And not including both parents, per FAFSA guidelines (though not institutional guidelines), may not be an issue as LuvMyHusky has attested to.

I guess I am more confused on why or what differences exist between need-based aid within the Texas System, both federal and especially state (Perkins/SUB loans and TPEG, respectively).

UTMB cites 9K as the upper limit for the TPEG and SA cites it as 2.5K, but this seems an unusual discrepancy to have. I understand there are funding differences/requirements, but for these types of grants it seems there should be a system wide standard.

Sorry again for the hijack, maybe others will find this exchange useful too.

Oh yeah, I absolutely forgot that we are considered independent now! In that case, I agree with LabView. EFC is only one of the factors considered.

I didnt work at all last year, and I did show that my parents paid for college tuition, rent etc, and my EFC was almost 9000 dollars. Which sucks because my parents are hoping their contribution will be 0... So I don't think EFC is just how much you worked, or I know it's not. If it helps anything, even though I didn't report my parent's info, based on my parent's jobs I wouldn't fit the description of financial need. I guess they got that number soley based on the fact that I had outside funds coming in from somewhere (I think it's the last line or close to the last line in worksheet B on the FAFSA).

Members don't see this ad :)
I've done some looking around, talking with realestate agents etc. and the general consensus that I have found seems to be that Fish Village is a safe bet as far as property value and safety. You might also try the East End Historic District although most of those properties are out of my price range. Also look on Facebook for UTMB class of 2011. There is good discussion on housing as well as several houses/condos for rent.
I can't tell you any real estate agents to go with but I can tell you that I have found The House Company website (www.thehousecompany.com) to be helpful. The advanced search feature on their site allows you to customize your search by neighborhood etc.

Thanks! Which realestate agents did you use if you don't mind me asking, and are you doing the same thing - living in a house? Have you found one?

Agreed.

I guess I am more confused on why or what differences exist between need-based aid within the Texas System, both federal and especially state (Perkins/SUB loans and TPEG, respectively).

UTMB cites 9K as the upper limit for the TPEG and SA cites it as 2.5K, but this seems an unusual discrepancy to have. I understand there are funding differences/requirements, but for these types of grants it seems there should be a system wide standard.

Sorry again for the hijack, maybe others will find this exchange useful too.

Sorry to hear about that difference between the schools. That type of info would have been nice to have before rolling admissions people had to make their decisions. Good luck to you, Gobble.

Thanks! Which realestate agents did you use if you don't mind me asking, and are you doing the same thing - living in a house? Have you found one?

I'm hoping to live in a house. I've made an offer on something in Fish Village and I'm just waiting to hear back from them. I did a lot of my own homework and used an out of town real estate agent that I already knew I could trust. Sorry can't help you on that one.

I'm hoping to live in a house. I've made an offer on something in Fish Village and I'm just waiting to hear back from them. I did a lot of my own homework and used an out of town real estate agent that I already knew I could trust. Sorry can't help you on that one.

Thanks anyway.

Am I the only person to not receive any grants or scholarships? I would think not, but it seems everyone else is getting nice award packages.

i received NADA from grants and scholarships. i don't qualify for anything need-based, but i did fill-in parental info on the fafsa. they contacted me and told me i had to send in my mom's tax info but i can't do that until august (she files an extension) so they said i wouldn't even be considered for any university based funding. it sucks, but oh well...

Does anyone know anything about the UTMB Medical Student Research Program? What does it involve? Is it even possible for an MS1 to commit any time to it during the year, or is it for the summer after MS1? Who do we talk to if we are interested?

Its possible to commit time as an MSI to do some research. There were a few students who did it this past year, but i think of the ones that did, most of them were in the MD/PhD program. With this being said, keep in mind that I only think that about 5-7 students did research during the school year.

However, if you would like to do research but not necessarily do the MD/PhD program, I believe they have opportunities before MSI....which you could possibly consider in the summer after MSI. Hope this helps.

Am I the only person to not receive any grants or scholarships? I would think not, but it seems everyone else is getting nice award packages.

I got nothing as well.

Anybody looking for a female roomate? I am holding a 2/2 apartement at Casa caribe, overlooking the beach on the second floor. has a W/D....rent is 779/ month, cable included...current roomate/s to be got accepted/waitlisted somewhere else, so if anybodys interested to fill in the spot, PM me for more details :luck:

I just got in today! I have no idea how anything works yet, financial aid, living, when classes start, but i'm extremely excited about it. still waiting for the information packet. is there anything i should do immediately?

sorry, but i might be asking a lot of questions on here soon.

I just got in today! I have no idea how anything works yet, financial aid, living, when classes start, but i'm extremely excited about it. still waiting for the information packet. is there anything i should do immediately?

Congratulations on your acceptance. I think orientation starts sometime in late August (already forgot it :oops: please let me know when you find out, that information will come in your information packet.
1) If you haven't already done so, request a copy of FAFSA to be send to UTMB ASAP
2) Start on your Hepatitis B vacine series while you are waiting for your information packet (there are several vaccines you got to take)
3) Look for housing. If you look around on this thread, there was some information about appartments, condos, and medical fraternity housing, etc...
4) Request your official transcript to be sent to UTMB
Congrats again

Congrats on the acceptance.

If you're looking for a place to live I'd suggest looking in the classifieds for rentals http://galvestondailynews.com/classifieds.lasso. Many of the apartment complexes near the school are already full but if you want to try them Casa Caribe, Carollton Courtyard, and Villa Marina are three names that I've heard are decent.

Also, come join our Facebook group. Search for "UTMB CLASS OF 2011" there is a pretty decent discussion on there of housing options that others have looked into as well as many other relevant questions.

thanks for all the info, really appreciate it

my parents just got the info packet, so i'll get my hands on it soon and will get everything figured out

Is anyone looking for a roommate for next year? PM if interested!

definately interested in looking for a roommate - if its a good match. still interested? 1st yr female w/ pet hoping to live fairly cheaply near downtown/strand area

Just got in through the waitlist! So, I guess I'm pretty late, but where do we find the most affordable and secure housing???

Just got in through the waitlist! So, I guess I'm pretty late, but where do we find the most affordable and secure housing???

Congrats TGandalf!

The three names I've seen passed around most are Casa Caribe, Villa Marina, and Carrolton Courtyard. You might also try seeing if there is anything for rent at Port Aux Prince or Marina Pointe. Those are the main options near the school.
If you try the west end you have a lot more options. On that end I visited and liked Lakeside at Campeche the most for the price. You might also try the Galveston Daily News Classifieds. If your are looking for something other than an apartment I found this to be the most helpful. http://galvestondailynews.com/classifieds.lasso

Come join our facebook group UTMB Class of 2011

hope that helps
good luck

Congrats TGandalf!

The three names I've seen passed around most are Casa Caribe, Villa Marina, and Carrolton Courtyard. You might also try seeing if there is anything for rent at Port Aux Prince or Marina Pointe. Those are the main options near the school.
If you try the west end you have a lot more options. On that end I visited and liked Lakeside at Campeche the most for the price. You might also try the Galveston Daily News Classifieds. If your are looking for something other than an apartment I found this to be the most helpful. http://galvestondailynews.com/classifieds.lasso

Come join our facebook group UTMB Class of 2011

hope that helps
good luck

Thanks LabviewMD, I just joined the facebook group. And I was wondering if most of these good housing have a waitlist already. I'm also looking for a roomate, preferably female. So, if anyone is still interested in this late stage, please PM me.

YupGypsy, go to www.facebook.com to join, it's like a virtual online community network and one of the groups is called UTMB Class of 2011.

I was recently accepted from the wait list at UTMB as an out of state student (which i did not expect at all). Prior, I had been accepted to Ohio State and set to go there. I'm seeking feedback from returning M2's and M3's at UTMB....if you were in my shoes, knowing what you know now, would you take Ohio State's higher ranking over UTMB's wonderful climate and cheaper tuition? I appreciate the feedback ;) :luck:

HOORAY! I finally got in off of the waitlist yesterday, can't wait to join ya'll! Now i just have to figure out where to live.

this school needs a better name than "medical branch."

sounds like some cheap clinic

HOORAY! I finally got in off of the waitlist yesterday, can't wait to join ya'll! Now i just have to figure out where to live.

Hey Texas Sooner, (or any one else headed to UTMB) are you looking for a roommate? I'm looking into some apartments at the moment, but would be interested in a male roommate to split the costs ;)

Hello All!

I'm getting pretty excited about school starting. Crazy! Is anyone going to QUEST, or does anyone know anything about it?

hey can't wait to start school with all of you guys! anyone looking for a roomate? I have a 2/2 condo in Port Aux Prince Condos...it's big and close to campus. Females only, sorry guys.

Hey everyone. I just got in off the waiting list and am looking for housing. A family friend is renting out his condo but i would need a roommate, anyone interested? otherwise anyone got any advice for finding housing?

Its possible to commit time as an MSI to do some research. There were a few students who did it this past year, but i think of the ones that did, most of them were in the MD/PhD program. With this being said, keep in mind that I only think that about 5-7 students did research during the school year.

However, if you would like to do research but not necessarily do the MD/PhD program, I believe they have opportunities before MSI....which you could possibly consider in the summer after MSI. Hope this helps.

You don't even have to be in the Research Program to do research, just ask and more than likely you will be taken with open arms. As a med student, you're pretty much give free range to do whatever you want so long as you are not breaking a law....want to go work in a clinic for experience, open door....want to do research, open door....UTMB is great. I'm not in a program officially but I was able to do research over the summer, and the project didn't end, I'm still working on it now during the year. I only know of one other MD student doing research now.

If you're interested in doing research during the year, you should look into the Honors research program. Take it for what it's worth, I'd suggest you focus on just school your first year so you can find your groove. It is quite an adjustment. During the summer do the 8 week MSSRP preceptorship, which is 8 weeks of research. For your second year, continue doing research if you like...you'll have more of an understanding how UTMB's system works and how you work in it.

Congrats to all who were accepted. You are really lucky to come to UTMB. Recently an announcement was made in class saying the 3rd years step 1 scores were just released and they had 100% passing rate and an avg in the low 230's. That speaks volumes for UTMB.

Recently an announcement was made in class saying the 3rd years step 1 scores were just released and they had 100% passing rate and an avg in the low 230's. That speaks volumes for UTMB.

Great news!!!! Does anyone know how many students are reporting at this stage. Last year, about this time, if I remember correctly, the average was around 228 with the final average being 226. Let's not get another rumor started that forty students are missing.

Great news!!!! Does anyone know how many students are reporting at this stage. Last year, about this time, if I remember correctly, the average was around 228 with the final average being 226. Let's not get another rumor started that forty students are missing.

Well that is true the c/o 2008 had an initial step 1 score of 228 then the final was 226. This happens b/c the first avg. score is based on MOST of the class taking it like you mentioned above. This year the c/o 2009 has an initial step 1 score of 230 based on most of the class taking it. Last year, there were approx. 14 or so who took it later in the year for various reasons. The same might happen this year. Regardless, this is still a tremendous accomplishment!!!

Based on 188 scores....18 have yet to take the exam. 1/3 of the students scored 99 (95=230)

Based on 188 scores....18 have yet to take the exam. 1/3 of the students scored 99 (95=230)

Great numbers! Congrats to the class of 2009 for their hard work and to UTMB for providing a positive environment.

What made UTMB stand out in your opinion?

Does anyone know any more details about doing the clinical years in austin? specific advantages/disadvantages? thanks!

Hi,

I am currently an applicant at UTMB and I am going to be in the Galveston area visiting family and my partner next week from Nov 8th to the 11th.

I was hoping if maybe a current medical student, who is available during that time, wouldn't mind showing me the campus and facilities when I am visiting. It would be greatly appreciated.

Regards