UTMB Class of 2011!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
bump... anyone else heading to Galveston?

Members don't see this ad.

Er, yeah. Some of your UTH facts are way off. Namely:

2) Most weeks, you will only be in class from 8am-12pm...as opposed to being in class from 8am-5pm at UTH (which doesn't include you having to go back home or to the library to try and study).

You will never be in class from 8-5 at UTH. All first year will be lecture from 8-12. Afternoons, first semester of MS1: gross lab for 2-4 hours 1-2 days a week and a very optional histo lab one day a week. Afternoons, second semester: neuro lab one day a week (~4 hours). Second year: 8-12 lecturs TTH, 8-10 lectures MWF with 10-12 PBL on those days. Afternoons very free (optional video taped path lab one day a week, usually short anyway).

So...yeah. Nowhere near lecture 8-5 daily, nor lecture+lab 8-5 daily. Not sure where that rumor started but I've seen it pop up in every UTH discussion. Plus, with videotaped lectures, doublespeed lets you watch the lectures in half the time.

Anyway, just wanted to throw out that correction. More detailed post on the topic (and things like test blocks, which I really, really like) in the UTH v. UTMB thread in preallo. Congrats all you UTMB-ers and best of luck to you all still making your decisions. :)

is anyone going to those welcome receptions in one of the four cities? I'll be at the one in Houston tonight!

Members don't see this ad :)
im 22, from dallas area (arlington) i went to UTA and graduated with a BS in biochem. interviewed on august 4th... anyone have the same interview date as me/lives close? if you do live close are you going to be attending that event utmb is hosting in dallas?

I'm also from Arlington (Martin HS Class of 2002). It's looking more and more likely that I will be attending UTMB next August. I'm probably going to the acceptance event on Dec. 14 here in Austin. Congrats to all who have acceptances and good luck to those waiting.

I'm also from Arlington (Martin HS Class of 2002). It's looking more and more likely that I will be attending UTMB next August. I'm probably going to the acceptance event on Dec. 14 here in Austin. Congrats to all who have acceptances and good luck to those waiting.

uhhhhhhhhhhhhh i was martin hs class of 02.... hahaha who is this? im me... aim:firomd

and i will also be attending the dallas event tomorrow is anyone else going to that?

Hey man, I totally dig what you are saying. UTMB doesn't video-tape lectures...some in my class are trying to figure out ways to make that happen, but its seeming to be more trouble than we expected, but people are still working it out.

I was actually talking about this with some classmates and we've kind of come to the conclusion that each person/applicant has their own reasons for picking certain med schools. We've come to realize that a large majority of the stereotypes you tend to hear about the Texas med schools are right on...and those people who like those environments are in the right place. However, we have heard of the minority of students who've gone to different schools and not like it because they just don't "click" with it (either students, city, rent, curriculum, etc.).

There are a whole bunch of reasons why to pick or not to pick a place. If i were you (to all really)...definitely go and check out the different med schools you were accepted to and see if you really want to go there and not just by hearing it from someone else.
Hey Baylor - just wanted to say this is a great post and I totally agree! :)

Good luck with exams! :)

I will be attending the Austin UTMB reception on the 14th as well! Has anyone figured out where it is? I saw an address on the invitation, but there is no zip code mentioned, so I can't very well mapquest it....hmmm....(or am I blind?)

I never received an invite! =(

are u people getting roommates or getting your own place?

Rejected. Not Even An Interview. No Beach For Me.

HOLA...UTMB class of 2011..here i come:)..im being silly..had to add smting to this thread, it seems like nobody ahs posted anything in days..and im bored at work..western blots..for all of you guys still in school, good luck on ur finals...i know you can all ace ur finals..you are almost finished..hang in there:)

Members don't see this ad :)
umm.. Is it possible to go into derma from UTMB??

umm.. Is it possible to go into derma from UTMB??

Nope. Impossible.

Come on--you can match in any specialty from any allo school ;) You better rock the boards, though, wherever you go.

Take a look at their match lists. I remember a couple derm matches each year.

Nope. Impossible.

Come on--you can match in any specialty from any allo school ;) You better rock the boards, though, wherever you go.

Take a look at their match lists. I remember a couple derm matches each year.

Okay, I see three but they all say "Medicine - Prelim Dermatology." Wat up with that? What's the difference betwen Prelim Dermatology & straight up Dermatology?

I'm heading to Galveston tomorrow to look at places to lives -- any suggestions??

Okay, I see three but they all say "Medicine - Prelim Dermatology." Wat up with that? What's the difference betwen Prelim Dermatology & straight up Dermatology?

It depends on the program. Some programs require a preliminary year prior to starting their residency. A preliminary year is basically where you are an intern getting use to the hospital setting and doing a lot of basic things (reading, learning, watching, and later on doing). you aren't really trained in one thing or another (unless, in this case where you match in a prelim medicine...thus you'll be learning mostly with internists. You can actually see the same thing with prelim-surgery programs).

In any case, you do a basic intern year, and then you do 2 more years of specialized dermatology.

And yes, you can match into derm from UTMB

anyone know how hard it is to find housing in galveston with a cat?

anyone know how hard it is to find housing in galveston with a cat?

very easy -- went down there on Monday to look at apartments and condos. I didn't have a realtor with me so I mainly stuck with apartment complexes close to the school. Villa Marina and Carelton Courtyard were the two closest and nicest (from what I could see).

I put myself on the waiting list at Villa Marina and cats are absolutely fine with a deposit (not sure how much it was) and you can be put on the waitlist for 175 and they wont cash it until you accept a place near your move-in date. Unfortunately, they did not have any places open so I could take a look at the insides of any of the apartments. They also offer a 5% discount for UTMB students if you show them your acceptance letter..

Carelton Courtyard is also right next to the school and is a gated property with security cameras on the perimeter. I would think this would be important in that area. They haven't started their waiting list but except to do so ~Feb 1 and they also have the UTMB student discount. Their pet deposit is $300 for one pet and an additional $100 for each additional. I saw a lady walking a small dog in a raincoat :laugh: :laugh: so it seemed to be a pretty pet-friendly place. I will definitely be bringing my cat so thats an important issue for me.

Anyone know anything about Villa Marina or Carelton Courtyard?? or any other suggestions for nice places? I'm looking for a 2/1 or 2/2 with lots of space! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I live in Marina Pointe, which is a pretty nice complex close to campus. It and Port Aux Prince are condos, so you need to go through a realtor, but you also have the option of buying, which can be a pretty good investment. If you're going down to Galveston to look around, go by the student center and some of the other buildings around campus and look at the postings from other students. Another good option is to get a house in Fish Village (all of these are around 3rd-4th street, near the yacht club). Most of the first years I know who live near campus live in Marina Pointe, Port Aux Prince, Fish Village or Villa Marina. Villa Marina can be kind of hit or miss... my boyfriend has lived there all through med school (he's halfway through his 2nd year now) and it is definitely cheap and livable, but another one of my friends also lives there and she has had some problems.
Your other option is to live in one of the frats around campus. They are very very close to campus (as close as you can get minus the dorms) and are also extremely cheap. For example, I pay $600/month, plus utilities, and Phi Rho Sigma is $360 = rent, all utilities paid, cable, high-speed internet, parking, 5 meals per week.
As for pets, I wouldn't worry about it... most apt complexes will let you have pets if you pay a deposit, and with the condos, it is up to the owner of the unit. If you buy, then obviously you set the rules.
Let me know if you have any questions, and congrats on getting into UTMB! =)

How difficult is it to manage a family during medical school? How difficult is it if you plan a pregnancy to be due in the summer after first year? Any thoughts on Galveston medical student pregnancy life and/or family life?

I dont know if this is true or not, but I heard that UTMB's USMLE scores arent very accurate because they force the students that are having trouble with classes in their first two years to take a semester off and take the test later? This means that the students who would bring "down" (assuming) the average arent included in the set. Anyone hear anything about this?

In order to start the 3rd year all UTMB SOM students have to take the step one and pass. So anyone thats a 3rd year has taken the step 1. If they fail the test then they have to take some 4wk kaplan course in either houston or dallas and then retake the test. If they pass then they can restart their rotation. During my second year, i think april or may, they asses how each student is doing on the mandatory CBSE tests (practice step 1's made by the NBME) as well as practice tests given to us by the school. If they think that they are not going to pass the test then they will recommend that the students delay their test. In my class (2008) some people did delay their test b/c they weren't ready but as of Sept 2006 the average step one score is accurate.

On a side note don't be mistaken in thinking that just b/c u come to UTMB you will be making the average score. My class happens to have a bunch of smart asses. Nevertheless, UTMB does a good job in preparing students for the step one but there is only so much the school can do. In order to do well on this test the student has to be willing to put in the time. I would happy to answer any more questions. Gluck to u guys!

-Bono :D

Anybody have any idea what a LMFU change after the pre-match would indicate. Mine changed today to 01/05. :cool:

word... did you send in your transcript from fall 06? i did, maybe that was it?

I have not sent anything, since my August MCAT scores. Somebody else on SDN metioned a Ranking List. I hope that's a good thing. :cool:

Let's go Cowboys :eek: :confused: :D

yo just a reminder... the acceptance letter says we have to send updated transcripts by march 31 for fall 2006 semester.

Anybody have any idea what a LMFU change after the pre-match would indicate. Mine changed today to 01/05. :cool:

Might be a rejection from a school where you applied, but never interviewed.

I dont know if this is true or not, but I heard that UTMB's USMLE scores arent very accurate because they force the students that are having trouble with classes in their first two years to take a semester off and take the test later? This means that the students who would bring "down" (assuming) the average arent included in the set. Anyone hear anything about this?

PLEASE, PLEASE , PLEASE stop with the rumors. UTMB does not force ppl to take time off instead of taking their boards on time b/c they were having trouble in classes. They have us take 2 NMBE simulated Step 1 tests in the spring before taking our boards, and if you fail the second one they SUGGEST to you that you might want to take time off. I have friends who were advised to take time off and they didn't and took the boards on time anyway. However, if you failed a class in year 2 you have to repeat the class at the end of year 2 which forces you to take time off and thus take the boards later. From what I remember the scores that they tell interviewers about with the 228 avg is after 177 students of the class of 2008 had taken the test. We only had about 194 students in our class at the time, and once everyone took the test the avg was approx. b/ 226-228. Like Bono said they are a lot of smart kids in our class, but we all really worked hard and there wasn't a conspiracy by UTMB to get those scores. Congrats to the class of 2011!!!!

Per the UTMB website, through November 30, 2006 with 193 students reporting, the average Step 1 score was 226. If the class has 194 students, even if the other person scored zero, the average would be 225. Also, 43 students scored higher than 244.

UTMB appears to be more forthcoming and transparent about their Step 1 scores than any other Texas school.:)

UTMB might be getting some help shouldering the cost of the enormous amount of indigent health care they provide. Looks like UTMB is asking for an increase in their state appropriations and these bills were proposed as an alternative. Anybody have any thoughts about the following article that appeared in the Houston Chronicle?

Jan. 19, 2007, 9:24AM
Bills seek to reimburse UTMB for indigent care
Janek feels medical schools have been neglected by state in funding

By THAYER EVANS

State Senator Kyle Janek, R-Houston, has filed two bills that would impact indigent health care provided by the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston.

Senate Bill 171 would designate UTMB as a hospital of "last resort" for the poor, said Janek, an anesthesiologist who has served District 17 in the Senate since 2002.

Under the proposal, UTMB would be entitled to reimbursement from the county, public hospital or hospital district where the patient receiving the care resides, he said.

"That means that (UTMB) would have a statutory obligation to take care of people from counties that don't have hospital districts or nearby medical schools," Janek said.

Senate Bill 172 would mandate that an indigent patient's county or hospital district pay for care at state medical schools like UTMB, Janek said.

Should that not happen, the state comptroller would subtract the expense from the county's funding, he said.

That money would then go into a fund, which would also have some state funding, that would be used to reimburse UTMB and other state medical schools, as well as their affiliated hospitals that provided the care, Janek said.

"I feel that we have neglected the medical schools in their funding," Janek said. "They are having to reduce the amount of charity care that they give."
Janek said both paying and non-paying patients are important to the state medical schools like UTMB.

"They are what you need to educate the next generation of doctors, nurses, physician's assistants and so forth," he said. "They're also the broad base needed for research abilities."

UTMB President John Stobo said he welcomes the efforts of Janek.

"We greatly appreciate Senator Janek's commitment to improving the lives of the medically underserved in Texas, as well as his support of UTMB and its special mission," said Stobo in an e-mailed statement issued through a spokesperson. "We believe the innovative legislation the senator has proposed is a great start toward addressing the critically important issue of providing health care to our state's uninsured."

Janek said he and Stobo have discussed the two bills.

"Dr. Stobo and I have disagreed on various approaches to providing charity care, but on one thing we are clearly in agreement, and that's that many indigent Texans are getting health care at the state's medical schools and the state is going to at some point have to start paying the bill," he said.

"The medical schools would have no choice but to reduce the amount of charity care delivered."

Patterson, Janek and others have “worked together very closely” on the project, Suydam said.

UTMB might be getting some help shouldering the cost of the enormous amount of indigent health care they provide. Looks like UTMB is asking for an increase in their state appropriations and these bills were proposed as an alternative. Anybody have any thoughts about the following article that appeared in the Houston Chronicle?

Jan. 19, 2007, 9:24AM
Bills seek to reimburse UTMB for indigent care
Janek feels medical schools have been neglected by state in funding

By THAYER EVANS

thats awesome news... Sounds fair to me

Hey ya'll!! B.B. King is at Sealy Hospital in Galveston!!! UTMBers (I hope) will take fantastic care of him, because he is amaaaazzzzing! I hope he feels better at UTMB!!!!

why does our thread suck.... lets liven this **** up.... hows everyone doing? what have you all found about places to live and what we should expect in med school.... HOLLA AT ME MANNNNG you are all going to be apart of my med school family....

Hey everyone!!! I am so excited about Galveston! I am graduating from UT in May!!! I haven't gone down to look at places to live yet, but have been looking at condos online (Marine Pointe and Port Aux Prince) and they look decent....will probably head down there in March sometime to buy a place...I have to live somewhere with my cats...

Is everyone just getting a 1-1?

I am not 100% sure if I will go to UTMB, but if i do, i'd rather have a roommate...not sure how to go about finding one since I dont know anyone there really!

I'm posting for a friend who is going to UTMB. She was curious about the prematriculation program. How do you apply for it? Does anyone know any more details about it?

does anyone know where a good place is to study at utmb. i've heard the library doesn't have much traffic, but i kind of like my white noise.

i appreciate it

try mod's coffee shop on postoffice st. there is an upstairs part with couches and tables. there is also free wireless. the coffee is great and the food is organic/vegetarian.

i did prematric. it is for incoming students who have been out of school for a bit, etc. i can't remember the contact person off hand but contact the school of medicine and they should be able to direct you. in the past, you were given a personal invitation. they select approx. 60 students. they give stipends to most ppl. based on financial need.

i did prematric. it is for incoming students who have been out of school for a bit, etc. i can't remember the contact person off hand but contact the school of medicine and they should be able to direct you. in the past, you were given a personal invitation. they select approx. 60 students. they give stipends to most ppl. based on financial need.

select them based on what? how long they ahve been out of school? grades?

no... i expect to hear more after the match, when they know exactly how big and who will be in their class... but thats just my guess..

select them based on what? how long they ahve been out of school? grades?

From what my friend told me, the prematric program is basically for minorities. They give you an introduction to your first year courses so you have an easy transition into med-school. However, any person(both majorities) can request a spot and be accepted easily.

From what my friend told me, the prematric program is basically for minorities. They give you an introduction to your first year courses so you have an easy transition into med-school. However, any person(both majorities) can request a spot and be accepted easily.

there are definitely minorites there, but there are also ppl. who have been out of school for at least a year. all races were def. represented. regardless, it helps for anatomy and gives you a brief intro into the rest of your first year. you meet some great ppl. and are thus a little more at ease when school starts. contact dr. mancuso or dr. thomas office if interested.

Hello there! I just jumped on this thread to look around because I was curious, and I can't help but respond to some stuff. I am a second year at UTMB this year, so I have been around for a little while at least.

I cannot stress to you this enough...you are not going to be able to figure out what a school is like just from what people say. I especially encourage you not to listen to what someone says about a school if they don't even go there. I have never gone to UTH, so how could I tell you what the school is like? what life there is like? etc. I can tell you about my experience at UTMB as I have had it, and you can take what you like from it.

I did not want to live in Galveston, but I promised myself that I would not pick a med school based on where it was located. When I visited UTMB, I had absolutely horrifying interviews, but I loved the school. I thought the students seemed happiest, and I loved the curriculum. After coming here, I don't wish I had gone anywhere else. It's fantastic! I don't even mind Galveston all that much. I came from living in Austin, and yes, there are things about Austin that I miss a lot. However, there are lots of things about Galveston that I really enjoy as well. There are museums here. There is an opera house that has regular visits from fairly famous people (BB King was just here). The movie theater sucks, but it still plays movies. It isn't that big of a deal. We have a huge array of local restaurants that have a TON of charm, and when I say charm, I don't mean that they are crappy and that is the optimistic way of looking at it. There are actually some nice restaurants here (you have to try Rudy and Paco's!). Most places in Galveston look horrible on the outside (sea water doesn't help), but you have to get over the outside appearance and see what it's like on the inside (ah, isn't that profound?). :) The things here may not be as posh as some of the places you might be used to in a bigger city, but I found out that it doesn't really matter. We still drink beer together at bars and have fun. We still throw outrageous parties and get into trouble. :) We even have a lounge where we can go dancing (no, it isn't the best but it doesn't matter as much as you would think).

There are not vagrants running around the school. It is kind of like Austin for those of you that went to school there. Yes, there are vagrants around the city and somewhat NEAR the school, but they aren't actually on the campus. The neighborhood near the school is full of old historic homes. A lot of them have been renovated and are actually pretty nice. The East end historic district near school is actually one of the safest places to live in Galveston (this is coming from the mouth of a cop that my dad called when I was moving down there). When I lived in Galveston, I lived in a loft on the Strand. I loved it! Really nice area, loved my loft, and it wasn't far from school.

I moved to Clear Lake this year, and I have to admit that it is easier when it comes to grocery shopping and the mall since they are closer. However, I do not have more fun living in Clear Lake even though I can go into Houston much easier and do fun things. There are lots of stores and shopping and "civilization" around me, but I really don't notice that big of a difference. I don't have more fun here. I don't feel less isolated. AT ALL.

The Austin program was not created because we don't have enough patients. That is just silly. They created it to give us an opportunity to go somewhere else and have other experiences. Typically, only about 20 - 25 students go there for the entire year. I don't think that would correct the problem of "not having enough patients." I have heard it is a great experience. There are less students there (as opposed to the hospitals at UTMB and especially the TMC), so you actually do get more hands-on. Plus, if you hate Galveston, you can be back in a big city in 2 years if you choose. Yes, board scores do matter...A LOT. I didn't know that until I got here. All we have heard from doctors who actually pick the residents for the programs is that grades only matter a little and board scores are KEY. UTMB has great statistics. Does this mean you won't get a good board score at another school if you work really hard? Of course not. It just means that most of the students here do really well. Last year's class had one student out of the entire class fail ...they had a 99% pass rate. 80-something percent of them were in the 90th percentile and higher.

Ok, this is getting entirely too long. I just wanted you guys to hear that you cannot judge a school based on what other people say. Even the people who go to that school have only gone to that school and nowhere else (most of the time), and they are merely giving you their experiences as they have had them. Take it with a grain of salt. Figure out where you think YOU would be happiest. I would try to encourage you not to pick where you go based on the location. You can have fun anywhere. Really, you can. Galveston is not as much of a craphole as people are going to make it out to be. Pick a school because you think that is where you are going to fit it in the best. I know it is hard, and you guys are faced with new challenges based on the fact that you don't do the match system anymore. If you are still not sure, visit some more. Find a student who already goes there and ask if you can come visit. Actually see what it is like for yourself...

hey, is anyone living in Austin til med school starts??? Does anyone want to meet up sometime before then? (get food, go to a bar, etc.)?