UTMB Class of 2011!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello all,

I am a first year at UTMB. First off, you are going to a great school!
My roommate and I will be doing preceptorships for the summer and are looking to sublet our apartment from May-July. If you are in prematric this would be a great way to figure out Galveston before deciding on a permanent home. Our if you wanna get a jump on the apartment rush this would be a great option too, because you can then renew the lease. The apartment is at Villa Marina and is a 2b/2ba. PM me for details if you are interested or know someone who is!

Thanks and see ya in the Fall.

Members don't see this ad :)
btw, if anyone knows anyone or is selling their port aux prince condo let me know... i'll buy it, provided its not a rat infested dump :)

This thread has been deader than a dead man's chest.

So!!! How about a little island humor!

"This pirate walks into a bar with a big ship's wheel down his pants. The bartender says, "Excuse me, sir, but do you know you have a ship's wheel down the front of your pants?" And the pirate says... Aaargh, it's driving me nuts!"

The same pirate came up with a top ten list of untrue rumors about UTMB. No med school seems to be immune from SDN rumors but some of these are gaining the status of "urban legends".

TOP TEN LIST OF UNTRUE SDN RUMORS ABOUT UTMB

1. Step 1 score conspiracy. Insiders say UTH had been unable to report their Step 1 scores because they had been stolen. Further investigation, revealed that the Step 1 scores reported by UTMB were, actually, those stolen from UTH.

2. The only restaurant on the island is a Chili's. The source of this rumor was identified as being an interviewee from Baylor who, upon questioning, admitted that he had not noticed the other 221 restaurants between the Causeway and Chili's. He stated that he had simply been to busy reading the latest issue of Juggs that he picked up at Hobby to notice.

3. The only grocery store on the island is the "Ghetto Mart". An unidentified source stated that minority groups on the island, upset over the insensitive language used by white affluent premeds, have renamed the Kroger's on the island "Signature Cracker Kroger". And, reportedly, the HEB has been renamed the "Whitey Can Kiss Our Butts Mart".

4. UTMB to reduce health care to indigents. A local source revealed that the most affected (or infected) group were indigent students from an anonymous medical school that contracted STDs while partying on Harry Hines.

5. Forty MS2 students were omitted from UTMB Step 1 scores. An internal investigation revealed that the forty students, all from A&M, refused to take the test upon learning that the Step 1 was actually a test and not a simpler version of the Texas Two Step.

6. UTMB to raise private pay revenue by joint venturing beds with the Moonlight Bunny Ranch. A call to the Bunny Ranch indicated that this rumor was totally and completely not true. The spokeswoman stated that with the cost of hospital beds being so high, they simply could not make ends meet.

7. UTMB is moving to Austin. Calls to administrators indicated that UTMB was adamant about this. One administrator stated that they would move "heaven and earth" to get "up wind" from Houston.

8. UTMB is a prison hospital. A source inside the Texas Department of Corrections stated that their relationship with UTMB was beginning to cause an increase in crime. Recently, an indigent man, needing a by-pass, was arrested when he mooned a Houston police officer after being refused care by every hospital in the TMC. After being admitted to John Sealy, he simply stated that you have to be innovative these days to get the best health care.

9. UTMB is weird. An unidentified source stated that this rumor originated when two female interviewees, both blonde, one from SMU and one from TCU, were trying to find the Galveston "super mall". When told that most Texas cities don't have "super malls", they replied in unison "dude, that's weird". Unfortunately, a nearby reporter overhearing the response printed it on the front page of the Galveston County Daily News. When questioned about this, he sheepishly admitted "well, on most days on the island, anything that happens at UTMB is the only news".

and, finally

10. UTMB sells body parts for profit. In particular, "brains" to UTHers and "ball sacs" to UTSWers. Unfortunately, an internal investigation revealed this rumor was true.:laugh:

TOP TEN LIST OF UNTRUE SDN RUMORS ABOUT UTMB

1. Step 1 score conspiracy. Insiders say UTH had been unable to report their Step 1 scores because they had been stolen. Further investigation, revealed that the Step 1 scores reported by UTMB were, actually, those stolen from UTH.

2. The only restaurant on the island is a Chiles. The source of this rumor was identified as being an interviewee from Baylor who, upon questioning, admitted that he had not noticed the other 221 restaurants between the Causeway and Chiles. He stated that he had simply been to busy reading the latest issue of Juggs that he picked up at Hobby to notice.

3. The only grocery store on the island is the "Ghetto Mart". An unidentified source stated that minority groups on the island, upset over the insensitive language used by white affluent premeds, have renamed the Kroger's on the island "Signature Cracker Kroger". And, reportedly, the HEB has been renamed the "Whitey Can Kiss Our Butts Mart".

4. UTMB to reduce health care to indigents. A local source revealed that the most affected (or infected) group were indigent students from an anonymous medical school that contracted STDs while partying on Harry Hines.

5. Forty MS2 students were omitted from UTMB Step 1 scores. An internal investigation revealed that the forty students, all from A&M, refused to take the test upon learning that the Step 1 was actually a test and not a simpler version of the Texas Two Step.

6. UTMB to raise private pay revenue by joint venturing beds with the Moonlight Bunny Ranch. A call to the Bunny Ranch indicated that this rumor was totally and completely not true. The spokeswoman stated that with the cost of hospital beds being so high, they simply could not make ends meet.

7. UTMB is moving to Austin. Calls to administrators indicated that UTMB was adamant about this. One administrator stated that they would move "heaven and earth" to get "up wind" from Houston.

8. UTMB is a prison hospital. A source inside the Texas Department of Corrections stated that their relationship with UTMB was beginning to cause an increase in crime. Recently, an indigent man, needing a by-pass, was arrested when he mooned a Houston police officer after being refused care by every hospital in the TMC. After being admitted to John Sealy, he simply stated that you have to be innovative these days to get the best health care.

9. UTMB is weird. An unidentified source stated that this rumor originated when two female interviewees, both blonde, one from SMU and one from TCU, were trying to find the Galveston "super mall". When told that most Texas cities don't have "super malls", they replied in unison "dude, that's weird". Unfortunately, a nearby reporter overhearing the response printed it on the front page of the Galveston County Daily News. When questioned about this, he sheepishly admitted "well, on most days on the island, anything that happens at UTMB is the only news".

and, finally

10. UTMB sells body parts for profit. In particular, "brains" to UTHers and "ball sacs" to UTSWers. Unfortunately, an internal investigation revealed this rumor was true.:laugh:

This is so wrong!!!

Only 9 untrue rumor listed then, right? :laugh: LMAO

:D
Pre-Match

School Matched: UT Medical School - Galveston

Come onto our Facebook page UTMB > Everything Else

Peace out, future comrades!

Any more new class members through the match or was most everyone already here but just quiet??? In any case, welcome to the CLASS of 2011!!!!!:thumbup:

So looks like I will be for sure going to Galveston!

:)

im looking for a port aux princes condo... if you are going to sell yours or know someone who is.. lemme know :)

Is anyone looking for a roommate for next year? PM if interested!

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone received any new information from the school, if not, anyone know when we should be getting some new ****?

does anyone have a list of the entering class for next year?

or links to lists of people going to the other texas schools?

btw, if anyone knows anyone or is selling their port aux prince condo let me know... i'll buy it, provided its not a rat infested dump :)
:thumbup:
I have one for sale. Call 409-256-9170 for more info.

2 bedroom 1.5 bath Port aux Princes condo for sale. See phone number above.

I posted this in the PreAllo Texas thread but thought you guys might want to know
UTMB's Averages for Offers Extended - EY 2007
GPA 3.80
MCAT 31.1

3595 Applicants
981 Interviews
457 Offers Extended
236 Males
221 Females
436 Texas residents
21 Nonresidents

I posted this in the PreAllo Texas thread but thought you guys might want to know
UTMB's Averages for Offers Extended - EY 2007
GPA 3.80
MCAT 31.1

3595 Applicants
981 Interviews
457 Offers Extended
236 Males
221 Females
436 Texas residents
21 Nonresidents

damn where did you get that info? what about the stats for people that accepted the offers?

This video summarizes the the current makeup of our class (minutes 19-27), and tells how the admissions process went. Other parts talk about student-faculty interaction (apparently its good). There is also going to be some changes in the curriculum starting next year. Nothing major, just four themes that will receive a new emphasis I think. It's also on the video.

www.som.utmb.edu/Faculty_files/FOM2-13-07.ram

The curriculum changes are also on pdf
http://www.som.utmb.edu/Research/Strategic%20Planning%20Site/SOM%20Ed%20Strategic%20Plan-Summary.pdf

We're also going to be split into Osler student societies:
http://www.utmb.edu/utmbmagazine/schoolnews/som/default.asp

http://www.utmb.edu/osler/activities/academy-projects/osler-student-societies.shtm

Has anyone who's completed their FAFSA heard yet from UTMB about financial aid?

Hey I've been looking at real estate (mostly condos) in the UTMB area and found lots of Port Aux Prince condos for sale (all types and set-ups). My advice is to talk with a realtor, because before I did, I had no idea what was out there!

Hey I've been looking at real estate (mostly condos) in the UTMB area and found lots of Port Aux Prince condos for sale (all types and set-ups). My advice is to talk with a realtor, because before I did, I had no idea what was out there!

i've talked to realtors, all i've found are 2 bedrooms and the only way i would get one is if i got a 1 bedroom.... haven't found one yet!

ok... just got letter from enrollment services, they sent me my pin number and student id... but i logged in and you can't really do anything to see anything... what are we supposed to do with this? i click on admissions status, and it says

Application Status
ATTENTION: Sorry, you do not have any active applications.

i don't think that is good...

Anything else in the enrollment services packet?

Also, anyone know who we should contact about change of address?

Hello and congrats on your acceptance to UTMB.

My condo in Port Aux Prince is for sale.
This complex is within walking/biking distance to campus. Next to the yacht club and in a very safe location.
Excellent Condition! Upstairs,2 bedrm/1 bath, all appliances included.
Custum built-in shelves in living room i.e. plenty of room for all of your books!
$105,000

Call 409-692-0640
FYI. Match Day for residency is March 15th, so an influx of incoming residents will be in soon after this date. So it is not too early to look for housing.
Thanks,
Sarah

okey,
is there gonna be a packet woith more info??cuz all we got was a letter with a pin number..i had no problems logging in, but i dont think ill need any of that untill school starts..you guys know any more info about housing in the frat houses, when do we sign up, and stuff like that??
cant wait to meet you all guys:)

Hello again,

My rommate and I are still looking for someone to sublet our apartment at Villa Marina. We are leaving town at the end of April. The apartment is a gigantic 2 bedroom 2 bath. You would take over the lease in May. It ends in July, and you could decide to extend it or choose another place to live. You can also find a roommate for the summer if you'd like.

This would be perfect for those of you who are here doing research early or in prematric. You can check out Galveston and not worry about being tied down to one place too soon. And if you choose not to extend the lease you can move into your new place before classes begin. Unlike many of my classmates who ended up moving during the school year.

If you are interested or know some one who is please let me know.

I don't know about y'all... but I am excited about UTMB. Anyone going down there for spring break?

I don't know about y'all... but I am excited about UTMB. Anyone going down there for spring break?

seems like there are a few peeps tryin to go there during spring break, check out our facebook group... "utmb class of 2011 > everything"

on another note.... wtcrap, i just saw UTHomo's thread has reached 7 pages, we are still at an abysmal 3 pages... im disappointed in you people....................................................;)

does anyone know when the FAFSA stuff is due? and did you all remember about sending in your transcripts?

seems like there are a few peeps tryin to go there during spring break, check out our facebook group... "utmb class of 2011 > everything"

on another note.... wtcrap, i just saw UTHomo's thread has reached 7 pages, we are still at an abysmal 3 pages... im disappointed in you people....................................................;)

but which one is a better skoo?

does anyone know when the FAFSA stuff is due? and did you all remember about sending in your transcripts?

April 1st is the closest thing I could find for a deadline, but it's important to get it in ASAP. Don't forget to include your parental data. From the website:

Application processing usually begins in March for the upcoming school year. Students are advised to apply as soon as possible after January 1 of each year, to ensure the best possible financial aid package.

All students applying for financial assistance for the school year should ensure their completed applications are received no later than April 1 to ensure enough time to process their applications before the last day of class.

http://www.utmb.edu/enrollmentservices/prospect/financial_aid/index.html

Has anyone received info or know about summer programs, research, or other paid opportunities available before school starts? I read in last year's thread about a PREP/prematric program that some people received letters about, but for the life of me I can't find anything related to it on the web. My apartment lease is up in April so I'm trying to figure out when I want to move down there. Any current students that can help?

Has anyone received info or know about summer programs, research, or other paid opportunities available before school starts? I read in last year's thread about a PREP/prematric program that some people received letters about, but for the life of me I can't find anything related to it on the web. My apartment lease is up in April so I'm trying to figure out when I want to move down there. Any current students that can help?

http://www.utmb.edu/somstudentaffairs/specialprograms/prematriculation.html

Wish I could say I was joining everyone... but I'm in the pool.... waiting...

I'm filling out my FAFSA and have a question... anyone know if UTMB requires parental info?

If you want to be considered for institutional grants and scholarships (of course you do!), then yes, you must provide parental info. Good luck.

http://www.utmb.edu/enrollmentservices/prospect/financial_aid/process_FormsComplete.html

This makes sense, but if you're parents make too much is there really a point? I mean if you didn't get any grant/scholarship for undergrad because they were in too high an income bracket wouldn't it theoretically be the same here?

This makes sense, but if you're parents make too much is there really a point? I mean if you didn't get any grant/scholarship for undergrad because they were in too high an income bracket wouldn't it theoretically be the same here?

Maybe, but I don't think either of us has the knowledge to make that judgement with any confidence. I would call and get Financial Aid's opinion on it. They would have a good idea of what it takes to get the money, and whether it'd be better for you to include your parent's data or to get your FAFSA in quicker.

one more question -
have you guys been able to see if all your transcripts have been received via that letter that they had sent?

I cant seem to get into the website at all

one more question -
have you guys been able to see if all your transcripts have been received via that letter that they had sent?

I cant seem to get into the website at all

Call or email Enrollment Services and they'll tell you if they've gotten them. I recommend calling....it took them two days to respond to my email.

Any UTMBer is practicing/interested in MMA or jujitsu?

If I could ask you all one favor:
I'm writing/compiling a FAQ thread for TMDSAS. I thought linking each school name to the SDN Wiki entry would be a good idea. I've started editing UT-H's wiki entry (because I know the most about it) but if you guys could enter in the information for UTMB, that would REALLY help me out :)

UTMB

So what is the actual deal on this one? I mean obviously if 40 students (I assume "less prepared" ones) didn't take Step 1, UTMB's step 1 average would be higher right? But then again, everybody has to take it sometime right?

If I could ask you all one favor:
I'm writing/compiling a FAQ thread for TMDSAS. I thought linking each school name to the SDN Wiki entry would be a good idea. I've started editing UT-H's wiki entry (because I know the most about it) but if you guys could enter in the information for UTMB, that would REALLY help me out :)

UTMB

why not just link it to the original wiki? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTMB

So what is the actual deal on this one? I mean obviously if 40 students (I assume "less prepared" ones) didn't take Step 1, UTMB's step 1 average would be higher right? But then again, everybody has to take it sometime right?

even with those 40 reported... they still smoked the rest of the schools... thats what the deal was.

Man, I thought our class was pretty uptight and neurotic, but i think you guys take the cake....hahaha. j/k

Take it easy right now guys, don't worry, UTMB will send you guys all the info that you need. Just send in your FAFSA as soon as you can so you can be included in the university's scholarships and awards and what not. And above all, take it easy and release some stress. Med school is tough and if you are too stressed out all the time you will most likely blow up. Good luck

Man, I thought our class was pretty uptight and neurotic, but i think you guys take the cake....hahaha. j/k

Take it easy right now guys, don't worry, UTMB will send you guys all the info that you need. Just send in your FAFSA as soon as you can so you can be included in the university's scholarships and awards and what not. And above all, take it easy and release some stress. Med school is tough and if you are too stressed out all the time you will most likely blow up. Good luck

Is FAFSA only necessary for need based scholarships? In other words, do one need to send in their FAFSA to be considered for merit based scholarships?

Thanks.

even with those 40 reported... they still smoked the rest of the schools... thats what the deal was.

What I'm getting at is, if say 40 student for say class of 2006 did not take step 1 and was excluded in the reporting, they're still have to take step 1 sooner or later. So shouldn't the average step 1 score be reported for around 200 or so students anyway? Like the average score would be for 160 students from class of 2007 + 40 or so from class of 2006, or 160 from class of 2008 and around 40 from class of 2007?