NYCOM class of 2011!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i was under the impression that the new policy would only affect the incoming class. this new policy with more frequent testing really wouldn't make much sense. i agree that exams should be more board relevant to bring up the pass rate. btw, you can make up only one failed thread over the summer, correct?

Members don't see this ad.

i was under the impression that the new policy would only affect the incoming class. this new policy with more frequent testing really wouldn't make much sense. i agree that exams should be more board relevant to bring up the pass rate. btw, you can make up only one failed thread over the summer, correct?

They told us that there will be no grandfathering of 2010 to keep us with how things are now. And yes, you can only retake one course over the summer, so if you fail two you either get kicked out of school or appeal to a committee that then goes to the dean to decide if you can repeat the year again or not. Fundamentals does not count as a thread you can fail however. If you fail fundamentals then you are recquired to attend remediation/study skill classes throughout the next thread. When remediation is over you then recieve a pass on your transcript.

Bingo!

Instead of making changes that affect EVERYONE, how bout just spend more time on focusing on the kids that are failing. If someone consistently fails, how bout forcing them to attend class or other study groups or something along those lines until they can start passing exams again. Why not focus on helping those kids bring up their grades, rather than kick them out to raise our board scores. Giving constant tests to 2nd years may leave less time to study for boards and may have an effect on class of 2010 step 1 board scores; NYCOM needs to think carefully on this one before they make such drastic changes.

Members don't see this ad :)
have students been voicing their concerns?

are u saying class 2010 and 2011 will be affected by this new policy??:confused:

I read your post and was very pleased with the way in which you discussed DPC's pros and cons. This said, I feel that you'd probably have a valuable feedback ragarding an issue that is of great concern to me.

I received my acceptance letter 2 weeks ago and have been looking into the DPC pathway more carefully. I read a comment (posted by a student that was recently interviewed) and it stated that NYCOM did not know which curriculum they would have next year.

Can you clarify this in any way. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

isnt it a great feeling. When was ure interview date? I only ask bc my friend in the 2010 class told me that you ahve a really good chance of getting in if u got an interview date before the new year

mine was november 30th if there is anyone out there who was in my session, congratulations.

I interviewed on the same day as you, the PM session. I got my letter 2 weeks ago!!!
Looking forward to the med school experience. Woo HOooo!!!

How long school took for cashing a deposit? My seems sitting there for a week not cashed yet...I have a letter that they got it because I personally gave check to them and they printed out the letter and gave it to me...

It took about 3 weeks for mine to clear.

They got my deposit just after the New Year, and it was cashed 1/16, so about 2 weeks.

Nothing is set in stone, so no one knows what will happen.
But once the policy is in place I'm sure we will get an email about it :smuggrin:

are u saying class 2010 and 2011 will be affected by this new policy??:confused:

I read your post and was very pleased with the way in which you discussed DPC's pros and cons. This said, I feel that you'd probably have a valuable feedback ragarding an issue that is of great concern to me.

I received my acceptance letter 2 weeks ago and have been looking into the DPC pathway more carefully. I read a comment (posted by a student that was recently interviewed) and it stated that NYCOM did not know which curriculum they would have next year.

Can you clarify this in any way. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

I'm guessing this is in reference to me??
DPC isn't going anywhere as far as I know; in terms of the lecture based curriculum, I haven't heard anything about a change away from the systems approach. The only change I'm hearing about is the retake policy. For the most part, that policy won't affect DPC students - except for practicals (dunno how thats gonna work) and since the lecture kids will have more exams within each system (presumably) then the DPC kids will take the anatomy/OMM portion of their exam, as is the normal case. You see, DPC ppl take 2 "main" exams: our own exam and the other is the anatomy/OMM portion of the lecture kids' written exam. Then we have the anatomy/omm practicals, and our own clinical skills practical, but thats a different matter. Something will have to be worked out there in terms of scheduling b/c DPC kids will then have an exam/quiz/hoop to jump through every week if theres anymore exams/quizes/hoops than there are now...

ok i'm getting alil worried, i sent my check on 1/26/07 and its been 10 days and still no confirmation letter, how long does it usually take?

Members don't see this ad :)
Call them to see if they received it. I had a problem with mine taking forever to reach them. The admissions people are so nice. I am sure they will be able to confirm for you over the phone.

OK. its official I am going to NYCOM in August 2007 :)

Also joining NYCOM in the fall, turning down Touro-NY's acceptance offer

hey guys, has anyone started looking for apartments around the area? any luck?

best time to get apartments is around May-July when all the 2nd years move out. NYCOM should set up a website to update you on what is available. unless you plan on moving into an apartment in the next 2 months it is probably better to wait until May. I live in Queens so other NYCOMers may offer better advice if they live near NYCOM.

Im in queens too and after talking to a few second years ive decided to get a place near the school for the first two years and then decide later where i want to stay during rotations. too many distractions at home. I agree on the timeline though, grab the best places when 2nd or 4th years leave

hey mcatt,

I think i interviewed with you. I wonder how many people got in from our group. btw congrats!!

thanks guys i guess i dont have to worry about finding a place til may

you could start looking for roommates now and start getting your rent deposit money together. I'm not sure if the first payment is 3xrent.

You probably will not get financial aid until 2-3 weeks after school starts so plan for that unless financial aid told you otherwise.

hey mcatt,

I think i interviewed with you. I wonder how many people got in from our group. btw congrats!!

I interviewed at Jan 25th evening section. you too? Did you had that ER doctor for the interview?

second last guy for him or total? i was the third in line with him so i went in right before u. the one who misquoted that only one guy went into EM from last year.. thats moi!

My check was cleared. Now what? When we have to fill out financial aid papers? What about PBL applications? NYCOM I want to hear from you!!!??:):):):)

My check was cleared. Now what? When we have to fill out financial aid papers? What about PBL applications? NYCOM I want to hear from you!!!??:):):):)

I just recieved my PBL application packet yesterday and i got my acceptance letter around x-mas. There's a whole bunch of info on PBL and they want 2 essays (no max or min words).

1. WHy do you believe the DPC, structured around Problem Based Learning, is the preferred curriculum for you?

2. What (if any) previous Problem Based Learning activites have you participated in, for example in an educational-, military-, work-, social-environment?

second last guy for him or total? i was the third in line with him so i went in right before u. the one who misquoted that only one guy went into EM from last year.. thats moi!

Second last guy for him. Are you the guy who graduated from St. John's a few years ago?

Are you coming to NYCOM?

Yep that was me and now i know exactly who you are. Congrats again on getting in.

Well Ive sent in my deposit so lets see and I would hate to let go of that much money. Maybe its just me but giving us 2 weeks to send in 1500 to hold a seat is a bit less reasonably than other schools =/

I guess I'm joining unless I hear from pcom or ducom.. doubt either are going to happen this late in the game :rolleyes:

Btw Taty, try to send in the fafsa soon. remember they told us to wait until we get a confirmation letter before doing that. most of the other aid seems to be linked to the school so the aid package shouldn't be too time sensitive. um but what would i know... :p

Yep that was me and now i know exactly who you are. Congrats again on getting in.

Well Ive sent in my deposit so lets see and I would hate to let go of that much money. Maybe its just me but giving us 2 weeks to send in 1500 to hold a seat is a bit less reasonably than other schools =/

I guess I'm joining unless I hear from pcom or ducom.. doubt either are going to happen this late in the game :rolleyes:

I know who you are now. Congrats on your acceptance as well.
I applied to PCOM as well, but I don't think I will attend there even if I get in
because live very close to NYCOM.

Did not get any mail from NYCOM yet. I guess I'll order my official transcripts, do my taxes and fill out FAFSA....

Did not get any mail from NYCOM yet. I guess I'll order my official transcripts, do my taxes and fill out FAFSA....

me neither. But i filled out FAFSA two days ago. ;)
I guess I will wait for my transcripts until I graduate in May.

me neither. But i filled out FAFSA two days ago. ;)
I guess I will wait for my transcripts until I graduate in May.

I graduated in 2004 :) I can just go online an fill out FAFSA with no income tax info?

I graduated in 2004 :) I can just go online an fill out FAFSA with no income tax info?

Yes. If you can estimate incomes, you can go ahead and filled it out.
THere are three options of filing tax return.
1. already filed
2. will file
3. will not file

You can just choose "will file" option and filled it out with estimates.

Yes. If you can estimate incomes, you can go ahead and filled it out.
THere are three options of filing tax return.
1. already filed
2. will file
3. will not file

You can just choose "will file" option and filled it out with estimates.

Will do. thank you!!! :)

I still dont have any mail from NYCOM... I started freaking out, but they cashed my check and send me an acceptance letter so i guess i am fine...

I declined VCU interview invite today. I dont know I feel like NYCOM is a place for me to be...mom said I am crazy...

I still dont have any mail from NYCOM... I started freaking out, but they cashed my check and send me an acceptance letter so i guess i am fine...

I declined VCU interview invite today. I dont know I feel like NYCOM is a place for me to be...mom said I am crazy...

I received a letter acknowledging the receipt of the deposit a few days after sending the check in. They haven't cash my check yet. :confused:

I received a letter acknowledging the receipt of the deposit a few days after sending the check in. They haven't cash my check yet. :confused:

Took like 3 weeks to cash mine...Do you want to apply for that PBL program?(I mean DPC:)) I am thinking about it.

Took like 3 weeks to cash mine...Do you want to apply for that PBL program?(I mean DPC:)) I am thinking about it.

Yeah. I have been thinking about it lately. I do well in traditional lecture based settings, but I have never experienced DPC liked programs. So, I still need to make decision.

Yeah. I have been thinking about it lately. I do well in traditional lecture based settings, but I have never experienced DPC liked programs. So, I still need to make decision.

My job is like that... you have a problem or project and you have to dig in how to solve it before the deadline... at my school when I had masters classes they were like that, some undegrads were also like that but I always ended up like a project leader which was sometimes very annoying . I guess I need more info about this program and I DONT HAVE MY PACKAGE YET!!!:rolleyes:

My job is like that... you have a problem or project and you have to dig in how to solve it before the deadline... at my school when I had masters classes they were like that, some undegrads were also like that but I always ended up like a project leader which was sometimes very annoying . I guess I need more info about this program and I DONT HAVE MY PACKAGE YET!!!:rolleyes:

I was accepted in late November and just got my DPC packet on Friday. I am sure it is on the way. There wasn't really any additional information in the packet except for the application. It was the same program description they gave us at the interview. :)

I was accepted in late November and just got my DPC packet on Friday. I am sure it is on the way. There wasn't really any additional information in the packet except for the application. It was the same program description they gave us at the interview. :)

I guess I have to read it through again.

Any hopes of scholarship/grant?

Any one here was interviewed on Feb. 1st?

I am away from home and everytime I call the lady in the office says we dont do this over the phone wait for the mail to come in..so annoying!!

Any one here was interviewed on Feb. 1st?

I am away from home and everytime I call the lady in the office says we dont do this over the phone wait for the mail to come in..so annoying!!

Maybe u can call Taryn Croot? She was always very helpful...

Status
Not open for further replies.