NYCOM class of 2011!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lainy105

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd start a thread and get to know some possible future classmates! I was super-ecstatic when i got my acceptance letter, this was my first choice! Congrats to all who got in!!

Members don't see this ad.

haha, the 2010 class just got dis-plizzaced. Now you guys know how it felt for us 09ers.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ah, whatever...another bunch of suckers who have now less than a year to think that being in med school will be a good thing before all joy and hope is sucked out of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
^ :laugh:

lainy105 - Congrats on being accepted

^ :laugh:

lainy105 - Congrats on being accepted

thanks dave!! feels great :D though i guess i'm about to have life sucked out of me..

This needs to get bumped. Right now, I'm still stuck between NYCOM and UNECOM, but each day, I'm starting ot lean more towards NYCOM.

Why are there so many people replying to other schools threads and only 6 here? :confused:

Common, people, let's be a little more active!!!
where are all of you who are planning to go to NYCOM???
I can't believe that there are only 3-5 of us!!!

I'm starting to get a little paranoid. Is it still too early or there is no one on SDN who wants to go to this school?:eek:

I was accepted to NYCOM a couple of weeks ago...totally excited about it. It is certainly one of my top choices. Thanks for the starting the thread...I just don't think people know about it...I just found it :D I

To current NYCOMers...do any students have macs?

there are some Macs but not many. Most people use notebook PCs and some tablet PCs. Dell seems like a popular brand for notebook PCs. A good percentage of the students (maybe 30-50% or so) don't bring laptops to lecture.

lecture notes are usually in your mailbox before the lecture.

NYCOM starts interview late so it takes a while for the class threads to get active.

I was accepted to NYCOM a couple of weeks ago...totally excited about it. It is certainly one of my top choices. Thanks for the starting the thread...I just don't think people know about it...I just found it :D I

Docem,
Congrats on ur acceptance. Of the 8 ppl in my DPC group, 4 have Macs. They are very attached to them and don't seem to have any problems streaming :)

Thanks for the info about macs...do you like the DPC program (that is the PBL track correct)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know which hospitals we can do rotations 3rd year at? Just curious.

A good percentage of the students (maybe 30-50% or so) don't bring laptops to lecture.

I'd say its more like 30-50% do bring laptops to class and 50-70% don't. Personally I don't, I endup spending the entire day surfing the web and not listening to lecture! Get whatever computer makes you happy. Like NVshelat said, people can stream with Macs.

yay nycom!! i'm excited. are any of you definitely going, or is anyone still waiting to hear back on some schools?

and where IS everyone? i know more than 5 people have gotten acceptances.

yay nycom!! i'm excited. are any of you definitely going, or is anyone still waiting to hear back on some schools?

and where IS everyone? i know more than 5 people have gotten acceptances.

I am almost positive I am going, unless I get into Tufts. I was actually talking to my mom today, about all the financial stuff. SHe very graciously offered to pay $10,000 a year for my tuition. Now, when she did this during undergrad, my undergrad allowed to pay a certain amount each month. Does NYCOM let you do the same thing? Say, over the course of 10 months, pay $1,000 a month towards the tuition?

Thanks for the info about macs...do you like the DPC program (that is the PBL track correct)?

Hi,
Yes, I do like the DPC program (it is the PBL track). Cases are presented in a progressive format (you order tests as you go along), and we meet 3 times a week to discuss. Heres a quick rundown of how it works:

Pt presents with chief complaint(s) and you talk about it for a while. You might order some tests. At the end of the discussion, you as a group decide what you're all going to go home and learn. Ex - pt presents with loss of motor control, so one of your learning objectives might be to find out how motor innervation works. You do this throughout, so you order more tests, narrow down your differentials, etc.

It isn't for everyone; nothing is handed to you and you have to do the information searching on your own, which usually means doing a lot of book reading. Tests are fairly frequent, but no one really knows if you can fail or not. We had a test Tuesday and Tuesday night I was back to studying for Wednesday's session. It's a new program at NYCOM but has been run in the same format at other schools. The literature indicates students do comparable to lecture based counterparts on Step 1 and better on Step 2 (I don't have a cite for this, it's coming from Portanova's mouth). Also, if your group members don't challenge you, you will come away with wrong information, since facilitators won't tell you when you're wrong or barking up the wrong tree. Usually there is an MD/DO, a fellow, or PhD in something or other as a moderator.

If the process is done correctly, you walk away from each session with a conglommeration of basic science issues (motor innervation) and clinical issues (what test would you order next, how to narrow your differential, etc). You must keep in mind though that you'll be in charge of your medical education - no one will tell you what you need to learn and when you need to learn it by. Our group is just consistently told we need to learn everything by the time boards come around.

I like it bc it gives me a context in which I can remember things; we're also constantly questioned to make sure we know the underlying physiological mechanism of things (it's like a 2 yo brat constantly asking "why" about everything.. I'm not kidding). I feel that I'll never memorize everything, but if I can know the basic underlying principle behind the pathology, I'll be able to deduce from there. There is early clinical exposure, which might be nice in making connections, getting recs, etc. It's a small, tightly knit group and you meet some great people with really diverse experiences. I think it's probably the best decision I've ever made in regards to my education, but it's a heavy decision so don't take it lightly.

If you're interested in it, I would suggest asking around about it and getting the +'s and -'s.

Hey, I'm in the NYCOM class of 2009, so if you have any questions I'll try to answer them. I live at home, so no housing questions though.

do not get a mac. A friend of mine has one and she cant get the stream to work on it. So she had to get a PC as well.

I do not pay cash but the way the bill is worded the payments are as follows:

before school starts:
50% tuition
100% fees
100% dental insurance if applicable
50% of medical insurance if applicable

December 1st:
remainder of tuition and medical

Regardless of your credit and financial situation you are eligible for stafford loans that will cover all tuition, fees, and medical for the first 2-3 years. because of tuition increases you may have a balance owed of a few thousand dollars in the final year or two of school.

Perkins loans are available for 1st year students if money is left over. I think students in years 2-5 get 1st divs though.

you could take out the full stafford loans and pay off $10K of it at some later date. You will want to be sure there are no fees/penalties for early payoffs. You could call the school and discuss payments plans but it was explained to my interview group that this does not exist.

I am almost positive I am going, unless I get into Tufts. I was actually talking to my mom today, about all the financial stuff. SHe very graciously offered to pay $10,000 a year for my tuition. Now, when she did this during undergrad, my undergrad allowed to pay a certain amount each month. Does NYCOM let you do the same thing? Say, over the course of 10 months, pay $1,000 a month towards the tuition?

I'm about to send out my deposit to NYCOM. My 3 top school choices were NYCOM, PCOM and UMDNJ. I got accepted to all three. I'm almost certain that I want to go to NYCOM but many ppl tell me that I'm wrong and that I should choose either PCOM or UMDNJ. :(
That makes me doubt my desicion.

I want to ask what choices you, guys, had and why you chose NYCOM?
thanks

I'm about to send out my deposit to NYCOM. My 3 top school choices were NYCOM, PCOM and UMDNJ. I got accepted to all three. I'm almost certain that I want to go to NYCOM but many ppl tell me that I'm wrong and that I should choose either PCOM or UMDNJ. :(

thanks

I chose between NYCOM, NSUCOM, LECOM, and UNECOM. PCOM is a great school, but from what one of my friends told me, when he interviewed last year, the hospitals PCOM rotates through had a lot of financial trouble. Not sure if thats still true, but it might be something to consider. Although one of ym friends is at PCOM and he likes it. It's one of the original schools, so it's very well established and has a good reputation.

UMDNJ, you can't beat the in state tuition that every student can get. And you'll get some good rotation sites as well. But what drew me towards NYCOM out of all the acceptances I had was the rotation sites. I want to practice in NYC later on, so being able to do rotations in NYC will be great, I can make contacts, experience medicine in the city.

You've got a tough choice though. If you prefer NYCOM, there is nothing wrong with going to NYCOM. My friend's dermatologist graduated from NYCOM. It's still a good school, and they have a pretty impressve match list. You do what you want to do, not what other people tell you. Why don't you ask those people who tell you NYCOM is the wrong choice why they think so and see if their arguments hold any weight? Plus, I think those simulated patients (Stan, I think?) is really cool. Not sure if the other schools have htat.

thanks
I'm an MS-1 at NYCOM. So far, I like the education that I'm getting for the most part. I like staying home and streaming lectures. That said, I would seriously consider PCOM. Many consider it the top osteopathic school. It is by far the most established osteopathic school, has many residencies as part of its GME such as Plastics, Orthopedic surgery, etc. If you're considering specializing, I would look into PCOM again. I would have went to PCOM if I had been accepted there, simply b/c they have their own integrated Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Residency. NYCOM has just announced that the AOA approved a Plastic and Reconstructive fellowship for post-residency surgeons, which is great news. Either of the three schools you've chosen are excellent schools. It depends what you're interested in and where you want to live / practice.

If you want to stay in the NYC metro area, then the choice is simple - NYCOM. If you want to stay in south jersey / philadelphia area and are set on specializing, I would go PCOM. If you are unsure or know that you want family practice, then UMDNJ:SOM would be a good choice, b/c of their focus on primary care and the lower tuition. All 3 are good schools; I myself would choose PCOM, but good luck to wherever you choose.

I was accepted to UMDNJSOM, UNECOM, and NYCOM. Things that I liked about NYCOM over the other schools: I would be able to stream from home, 3rd year clerkship sites, other med schools in the NYC area, and staying in the NYC. It was extremely hard to pass on UMDNJ and I think about it from time to time. If I did not have family here I'm pretty sure I would've ended up at UMDNJ.

I heard the same things before I made my decision but you must make the decision that is best for YOU. Once school starts nobody cares about where you were accepted. You should have great opportunities at any of these three schools.

:luck:

i know that i would want to do rotations and practice in NYC, so that's what attracts me most to NYCOM. Plus I love new york and have tons of friends there. I am still waiting to hear from PCOM though, and would definitely consider it, it's an excellent school. Rotation sites are not as appealing though.

Congrats on your acceptances though! They are three fantastic schools!

I would have went to PCOM if I had been accepted there, simply b/c they have their own integrated Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Residency.
It's not integrated, it's a fellowship like the others. And your name wouldn't be etched into a spot anyway.

Why go to NYCOM? You can stay home 90% of the time and listen to everything online! I love NYCOM!

Why go to NYCOM? You can stay home 90% of the time and listen to everything online! I love NYCOM!

um.

so, to rephrase then, are you saying "go to NYCOM because you can put in as little effort as possible??"

if that's what you're saying...i'm afraid. very very afraid. medical school SHOULD be a lot of work. it should be hard. we med students should be overworked and overstressed and downright miserable. because, damn, if we can't hack 20 hour days of work and not enough sleep and stress when the only thing riding on it is a silly grade, how will we ever be ready to hack it in the rotations when it's people's lives riding on us? plus...i mean...um...my main motivating factor in working so hard nearly all the damn time is that what if the one thing i slack off on and don't learn is the one thing that makes the difference between killing and saving a patient?

methinks that being easy should not be a good selling point for a medical school, but it seems like scadalis is fixing some of that.

Hi,
Ultimately you have to choose what is right for you and your circumstances. That being said, it is useful to hear the rationale behind others' choices. I got into UMDNJ and NYCOM and chose NYCOM because of the rotations and match list. Those were the 2 most important factors in my decision regardless of what schools I was applying to, since I feel that basic sciences are gonna be the same no matter where you take them. Along those lines, our dean just announced that we may be getting our own teaching hospital soon (Nassau County Hosp.), which would be totally kickass. The money made it a hard choice bet UMDNJ and NYCOM, but I didn't want to make my decision based on money; not because I had a lot of it (which I sure don't!) but b/c I knew I'd be able to pay off my loans no matter what I did.

Good luck, you'll be fine no matter where you go, they're all great schools. Don't let SDN rumors about NYCOM scare you - for some reason, theres always a rumors started about NYCOM on SDN and then we'll find out its far from the truth. I think someone on here said that we had a low first time COMLEX pass rate, when in reality we're at the ntl average. As for why you
shouldn't go to NYCOM, my friends in lecture based seem to have a few complaints - notes aren't always there on time, but they seem to have addressed this (except for the OMM department); lecturers are boring/useless, but this has been addressed by the dean just recently; test questions don't test concepts but minutae - I don't know if that will be addressed, but our dean did speak about moving towards test questions that are similar to COMLEX questions. Some don't like a systems based approach. The complaints about the DPC program seem to be as follows - its hard; the scheduling sucks (lots of exams); how do you learn everything you need to learn and how do you know you learned it correctly if no one is there to tell you. Others can chime in if they have any other complaints. My biggie has always been I have no idea what the hell is going on with anything - I didn't have a schedule for post-Thanksgiving until two weeks before Thanksgiving. That is UNACCEPTABLE. I spoke to administration about it - they said that because they have clinical lecturers come and lecture, and they sometimes cancel, it throws everything off. I dunno what that means.

So I hope that you have a clear picture of the +s and -s of NYCOM with this post and with other posts on SDN. Good luck.

Streaming from home does not make medical school easy. It does make learning much more efficient for some people.

I don't think feeling stressed out during pre-clinical years is going to help you handle stress on a sub-I in your clinical years or intern year.

um.

so, to rephrase then, are you saying "go to NYCOM because you can put in as little effort as possible??"

if that's what you're saying...i'm afraid. very very afraid. medical school SHOULD be a lot of work. it should be hard. we med students should be overworked and overstressed and downright miserable. because, damn, if we can't hack 20 hour days of work and not enough sleep and stress when the only thing riding on it is a silly grade, how will we ever be ready to hack it in the rotations when it's people's lives riding on us? plus...i mean...um...my main motivating factor in working so hard nearly all the damn time is that what if the one thing i slack off on and don't learn is the one thing that makes the difference between killing and saving a patient?

methinks that being easy should not be a good selling point for a medical school, but it seems like scadalis is fixing some of that.

All of my friends who have go to NYCOM love the streaming so thay can re-watch a lecture any time.

And also I need your guys advice on something.
I just got tinto NYCOM and am happy for it BUT I still havent heard back from other school. (I applied ot SUNY upstate and downstate and they havent even sent me a letter saying if i get an interview,or even a rejection letter for that matter). I have no problem going to NYCOM but would always like an option or 2. What should I do? Should I call their admssions departments and tell them to get in gear?

um.

Congrats on making the most ridiculous post of the year. I'm not even going to bother responding to this, but read more carefully next time. Nobody said anything about it being "easy." Now go back to your 20 hours of studying per day :laugh:

By the way, slacking and forgetting a couple of enzymes in the Krebs cycle isn't going to kill a patient, I promise you.

Streaming from home does not make medical school easy. It does make learning much more efficient for some people.

I don't think feeling stressed out during pre-clinical years is going to help you handle stress on a sub-I in your clinical years or intern year.

i apologize to those who stream, i did not mean to imply that streaming by definition makes med school easy. i grant that it can make things more efficient, and that those exams can be evil. it was the way yanky5 stated it (in combination with his past statements in general) that got under my overly-tired skin and seemd flippant and like he was saying nycom is easy, so come here. which bothered me a lot.

as for the stress thing, i personally think it does help to be stressed. like with this, i am over tired and too stressed and overreacted to something that i otherwise would not have. i can learn from that, re-regulate, and be able to avoid it in the future (with a resident or somesuch) when it will matter. just the concept of understanding my own personal stress-psychology better, i guess.

i dunno. happy holidays, though, and good luck on those exams on the 8th...

meerkats.jpg

It's called ChiLLaXe.

Hey, this is my first post on sdn but I have been peaking around through forums for a while :)! THanks so much for helpful comments to all of you!
I just got my acceptance letter from NYCOM on Friday and I am still in disbelief about it! I am looking forward to meeting my fellow NYCOMERs!:D

isnt it a great feeling. When was ure interview date? I only ask bc my friend in the 2010 class told me that you ahve a really good chance of getting in if u got an interview date before the new year

mine was november 30th if there is anyone out there who was in my session, congratulations.

Thanks everyone for your insights! Even though it was hard to let go of the lower tuition of UMDNJ and "better reputation" of PCOM, I chose to stay closer to home in the great state of New York.

I sent out my deposit to NYCOM 2 days ago. :)

NYCOM class of 2011 here I come!!!

Congrats to all (including me :) ) that were accepted. Maybe some of us can get lucky and carpool from Brooklyn.

privetik nadusha! (i'm guessing you speak russian, me too :)

are most of you guys from the NYC area? i'm an upstate girl, and i'm wondering what is the best way to find an affordable apt in the area, should i decide to go to NYCOM.

are most of you guys from the NYC area? i'm an upstate girl, and i'm wondering what is the best way to find an affordable apt in the area, should i decide to go to NYCOM.

Definitly check Craigslist. You can probably find an affordable place, if you try hard. Also, getting roomates will help bring down the cost, but hten you have to deal with roomate issues. Also, keep in mind that coming from Brooklyn, my idea of affordable may be quite a bit different than someone coming from upstate NY.

Another thing my friend suggested, call up a realty office and tell them you're considering moving to the area for school, and you were hoping that they could tell you the best places for a student to live and on average what you would be paying. They should be able to tell you this over the phone, and you can always get there name and number and say if you decide to go to school in teh area, you will call them. Then, you can search craigslist for apartments in that area.

BTW, I sent out my deposit 2 days ago. Actually, my mom mailed it for me when she went to walk the dog. She came back all excited, "You're going to be a doctor!!!" Now my problem will be when to get an apartment and when to move in. I'm going away for a month (May 24-June 22) and then my parents are leaving a week later for 2 weeks. So I would have probably one week to get an apartment and move in on Aug. 1. I figure worse comes to worse, my friend's parents live about 10 minutes away and they have na extra room.

Doesn't it feel nice to ring in hte New Year knowing you are going to be a doctor? I think it's great.

Congrats guys!! :D

Hey, I'm from Ukraine and speak Russian too :) I wonder how many Russian-speakers will be in our class.

Hey, I'm from Ukraine and speak Russian too :) I wonder how many Russian-speakers will be in our class.

You can count me in as a Russian speaker. My parents live on Brighton Beach, you can bet I'll be going home to get all the bologna's and salami's that you can't get in the grocery stores.

Although my parents are from the Ukraine, my russian is as good as my latin. My russian-speaking friends never managed to teach me, but maybe some of you will.

I live in sheepshead bay.

Hi all :)

I got in back earlier this month, interview on the 28th of Nov. I'm sending my deposit this upcoming Tuesday. GL all. I love the school, and NYC rotations, but what really got me was the PBL. PBL seems like it would fit me perfectly. However, I am still waiting on multiple schools so for now its NYCOM unless I get a difficult decision. We need more chatter on this thread :) :)

Hi all :)

I got in back earlier this month, interview on the 28th of Nov. I'm sending my deposit this upcoming Tuesday. GL all. I love the school, and NYC rotations, but what really got me was the PBL. PBL seems like it would fit me perfectly. However, I am still waiting on multiple schools so for now its NYCOM unless I get a difficult decision. We need more chatter on this thread :) :)

Was your interview in the morning or in the afternoon?

Status
Not open for further replies.