UCLA Decisions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

FutureDr2011

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those of you that have interviewed at UCLA more than a month ago...does anyone know exactly when we will hear back. I understand that there is a January 15 date, but has anyone actually checked with the Admissions Office on this.

Also, does anyone know where the subcommittees at UCLA (e.g. subcommittee E) have already met to make decisions on candidates? It would be interesting to see how UCLA makes decisions since I'm sure they know who's going to be admitted before 1/15.

Thanks guys...any comments that can shed light would be welcomed.
 
i interviewed recently at UCLA and at that time their committee had not met yet, and in fact had not yet scheduled their first meeting. i think it is safe to say that we will be waiting a LONG time for these guys. last year they cranked out the minimum # acceptances for their class just before the deadline in march and then finished the rest a little before april. bottom line: don't hold your breath, even if you interviewed in august.
 
does anyone know exactly when we will hear back.
Also, does anyone know where the subcommittees at UCLA (e.g. subcommittee E) have already met to make decisions on candidates?

Thanks guys...any comments that can shed light would be welcomed.

i interviewed recently at UCLA and at that time their committee had not met yet

FYI UCLA Subcommittees have started meetings & have started making decisions. We supposedly won't hear until after Jan 15, but looking at last year - 1st acceptances didn't go out until late Feb.... so, like the poster said - I'm not holdnig my breath 🙂:luck:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i interviewed recently at UCLA and at that time their committee had not met yet, and in fact had not yet scheduled their first meeting. i think it is safe to say that we will be waiting a LONG time for these guys. last year they cranked out the minimum # acceptances for their class just before the deadline in march and then finished the rest a little before april. bottom line: don't hold your breath, even if you interviewed in august.
This is un-good. I believe that on UCI's website, they say that you have 2 weeks to reply to an acceptance... UCLA is my dream school, and what if I hear from UCI months before UCLA? I would like to have UCI as a backup somehow... But then again, this is assuming I even get into UCI next cycle =]
 
This is un-good. I believe that on UCI's website, they say that you have 2 weeks to reply to an acceptance... UCLA is my dream school, and what if I hear from UCI months before UCLA? I would like to have UCI as a backup somehow... But then again, this is assuming I even get into UCI next cycle =]

You can accept as many acceptance offers as you want until May 15th. So, if you perchance got into UCI - you could accept. Then if you heard from UCLA in, say, March - you could accept their offer as well. By May 15th, you'd have to withdraw from all but one (but you can stay on waitlists) if I understand the process correctly 😉
 
How do you guys know their committees have been meeting? At my interview (~1.5 months ago) my interviewer said she didn't think they would be meeting until the middle of December.
 
I interviewed there in september. I've already been accepted at two school that I interviewed at way after that. too damn slow. well not as bad as all these March schools
 
Interviewed here end October...really can't wait to hear back. 😍

January...February...so long away!
 
I loved them so much. They'll keep me hanging till March, I know. Or I'll get waitlisted in Feb.
 
I'd LOVE a little 😍 from UCLA this winter/spring!!! ::crossing fingers::

:luck: to all those waiting...
 
How do you guys know their committees have been meeting? At my interview (~1.5 months ago) my interviewer said she didn't think they would be meeting until the middle of December.

Committees have been meeting for awhile.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
perhaps you can all help me articulate why I liked this school so much. really, i have no idea why. i've been to comparably ranked, closer to home, cheaper, less polluted schools with better interview days, quicker response times and less traffic (but not better weather) and yet for some reason i left thinking that it was the coolest place i've been.

what is it about this place?
 
perhaps you can all help me articulate why I liked this school so much. really, i have no idea why. i've been to comparably ranked, closer to home, cheaper, less polluted schools with better interview days, quicker response times and less traffic (but not better weather) and yet for some reason i left thinking that it was the coolest place i've been.

what is it about this place?

if you live in/near westwood ($$$$) then you don't have to drive much. why is it appealing? its hard to say bad things about paradise.
 
Committees have been meeting for awhile.


UCLAStudent, since you're knowledgeable about the process, any word on whether Subcommittee E has already met? Also, do you know if they meet on a monthly basis and do they create a ranked list of candidates that is sent to the executive committee.

Thanks for your insight...
 
You can accept as many acceptance offers as you want until May 15th. So, if you perchance got into UCI - you could accept. Then if you heard from UCLA in, say, March - you could accept their offer as well. By May 15th, you'd have to withdraw from all but one (but you can stay on waitlists) if I understand the process correctly 😉
Thanks for your clear answer 🙂 It makes me feel much better!
 
UCLAStudent, since you're knowledgeable about the process, any word on whether Subcommittee E has already met? Also, do you know if they meet on a monthly basis and do they create a ranked list of candidates that is sent to the executive committee.

Thanks for your insight...

you attempt to be funny was a failure
 
Has anyone contacted their office to see if they are sticking to the 1/15 date, or is it too early to tell...just a thought
 
it's probably best to leave them alone and just not get your hopes up for anything before february or so. i spent some time with their office staff and they got a ridiculous amount of pointless calls in the short time i was there. i imagine this makes them less than happy.
 
How long did it take for you guys to get an interview invite after you submitted your secondary?
 
Any ideas from current UCLA 2nd year medical students on the medical selection process at UCLA. Are admissions decisions made before 1/15 but not released until then? I'm just curious about how the UCLA subcommittee process works, so anyone that can shed light would be appreciated.
 
Any ideas from current UCLA 2nd year medical students on the medical selection process at UCLA. Are admissions decisions made before 1/15 but not released until then? I'm just curious about how the UCLA subcommittee process works, so anyone that can shed light would be appreciated.

when I interviewed the students I talked to said that the Jan 15th date was rather misleading because even the earlier acceptances didn't go out till Feb/March! :scared: :scared: hopefully they'll hold to the Jan 15th date better this year.

I 😍 UCLA!
 
when I interviewed the students I talked to said that the Jan 15th date was rather misleading because even the earlier acceptances didn't go out till Feb/March! :scared: :scared: hopefully they'll hold to the Jan 15th date better this year.

I 😍 UCLA!

I hope so....it so hard waiting (even January 15th) But somethings telling me...it will be Feb...oh well....

I 😍 UCLA!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
how about the Bruin win over the Trojans...epic....😍

and it's 72 degrees....sure beats this dreary NorCal weather 😴

glck to all those waiting :luck:
 
Any ideas from current UCLA 2nd year medical students on the medical selection process at UCLA. Are admissions decisions made before 1/15 but not released until then? I'm just curious about how the UCLA subcommittee process works, so anyone that can shed light would be appreciated.

Hi, FutureDr. If you look above, I said that committees have been meeting for a long time. I also confirmed that decisions have already been made. 👍
 
when I interviewed the students I talked to said that the Jan 15th date was rather misleading because even the earlier acceptances didn't go out till Feb/March! :scared: :scared: hopefully they'll hold to the Jan 15th date better this year.

I 😍 UCLA!

Look on the bright side --- it can't be any later than last year. 😛 :laugh:
 
Look on the bright side --- it can't be any later than last year. 😛 :laugh:

I don't know about that one.... J/K - last year looks like it was ridiculous (first acceptances 2/23!!?) - how horrendous for those guys who didn't even know it was (or should I say, wasn't) coming! At least if we don't start hearing Jan 15th-ish, we have last year to look at and see that we'll probaby have a bit of a wait ahead of us

:luck: to all!
 
Hi, FutureDr. If you look above, I said that committees have been meeting for a long time. I also confirmed that decisions have already been made. 👍

That's awesome to hear, and thank you for the info. But if that's the case, I'm curious as to why it took so long last year. Were decisions not made at this point (seems unlikely, if they're already made this year. What would be the difference?) Or could it just be that they'll hold off reporting the decisions longer than they originally intended to again (and if so, what is the reason?)
 
That's awesome to hear, and thank you for the info. But if that's the case, I'm curious as to why it took so long last year. Were decisions not made at this point (seems unlikely, if they're already made this year. What would be the difference?) Or could it just be that they'll hold off reporting the decisions longer than they originally intended to again (and if so, what is the reason?)

Decisions had definitely been made by that point last year --- things are the same from year to year. I'm not sure why things have been delayed in the past (when I applied 2 years ago, decisions weren't released until Jan. 27, so it's not a new thing).
 
Decisions had definitely been made by that point last year --- things are the same from year to year. I'm not sure why things have been delayed in the past (when I applied 2 years ago, decisions weren't released until Jan. 27, so it's not a new thing).

Wow, very interesting to hear. I'd always assumed that delays were due to deliberation/indecision. I wonder why it is that things get delayed. Thanks for the info.
 
Wow, very interesting to hear. I'd always assumed that delays were due to deliberation/indecision. I wonder why it is that things get delayed. Thanks for the info.

the workers in the admissions office might have other stuff to do.
 
Heh... I mean, I guess so, but you'd think THE PRIMARY REASON THE ADMISSIONS OFFICE IS THERE IS TO ADMIT.

actually one of the office workers when I went was telling some of the other interviewees that she's just working there as her day job and she's trying to get to be a big time movie producer. her primary motivation ain't to bring joy to our pitiful lives.

only in LA...:laugh:
 
actually one of the office workers when I went was telling some of the other interviewees that she's just working there as her day job and she's trying to get to be a big time movie producer. her primary motivation ain't to bring joy to our pitiful lives.

only in LA...:laugh:

that is PRICELESS
 
Overall though, the folks in that office are very pleasant.

Guys, let's keep this thread alive...less than a month left if they stick to the 1/15 date...is that when decisions are mailed or when we should get them?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
to all those waiting...happy holidays and good luck braving the waiting period. less than month to go 🙂
 
Here's my 2 cents...

I had a 2+ hour interview with Dr. Fulco, who chairs one of the admissions committees... he went over the entire admissions process ad nauseum... about 45 minutes before we even got into the formal interview...

He told me that UCLA makes all decisions based on a merit/point system. Interviewers are given a 4-5 page evaluation form that they complete for each interviewee...

In it, they have to assess how the interviewee stacks up in a variety of areas... I can't remember the exact names, even though Dr. Fulco showed me the sheet, which he had already filled in from my AMCAS before I even interviewed... I remember, it assesses your desire to go into primary care, the breadth of your research experience, commitment to bettering humanity.... things like that...

These forms, as well as your application and letters, are then reviewed in a subcommittee... I think I remember him saying there are 4, but I can't exactly remember...

At the committee, each member awards a certain number of points, in a closed ballot manner. These are then tallied and this gives you your overall score. He said that student members of the committee are able to award points. He also mentioned a complex way of calculating outliers in the votes. He mentioned that most members of the committee tend to vote consistently with the other members, and if one member votes significantly higher or lower than the others, then those values are corrected somehow...

He said the reason it takes so long to hear from UCLA, is because they have to amass a certain number of ranked applicants. He said you are LITERALLY sitting in a computer with your score from the committee, and they accept those applicants with some minimum cutoff score. He said in mid-January, they will start letting in the applicants with the highest scores.

He said that once your committee score is determined, there is nothing you can do to appeal the decision. He said that if you are denied an interview, an appeal is possible, but not if you are denied admission.

He said the wait list follows the ranked scores as well. He mentioned that once you are ranked, it does no good to send updates on coursework/activities, or even letters of interest/intent, because this will not influence your numerical score.

He was VERY informative and thorough... I felt like I was on the freakin' committee by the time he finished... THEN the interview began...

What a charming man... I hope he talks the committee into scoring me high, because I'd love to continue my medical education at UCLA.

Best of luck to everyone who is waiting to hear from UCLA, and I hope this information was helpful...
 
UCLA i believe didn't start making decisions until mid-april last year,after claiming first post-intervew decisions would come out in jan. You guys have a long way to go.
 
ha. I had Dr. Fulco too. pretty much identical interview for me.



Here's my 2 cents...

I had a 2+ hour interview with Dr. Fulco, who chairs one of the admissions committees... he went over the entire admissions process ad nauseum... about 45 minutes before we even got into the formal interview...

He told me that UCLA makes all decisions based on a merit/point system. Interviewers are given a 4-5 page evaluation form that they complete for each interviewee...

In it, they have to assess how the interviewee stacks up in a variety of areas... I can't remember the exact names, even though Dr. Fulco showed me the sheet, which he had already filled in from my AMCAS before I even interviewed... I remember, it assesses your desire to go into primary care, the breadth of your research experience, commitment to bettering humanity.... things like that...

These forms, as well as your application and letters, are then reviewed in a subcommittee... I think I remember him saying there are 4, but I can't exactly remember...

At the committee, each member awards a certain number of points, in a closed ballot manner. These are then tallied and this gives you your overall score. He said that student members of the committee are able to award points. He also mentioned a complex way of calculating outliers in the votes. He mentioned that most members of the committee tend to vote consistently with the other members, and if one member votes significantly higher or lower than the others, then those values are corrected somehow...

He said the reason it takes so long to hear from UCLA, is because they have to amass a certain number of ranked applicants. He said you are LITERALLY sitting in a computer with your score from the committee, and they accept those applicants with some minimum cutoff score. He said in mid-January, they will start letting in the applicants with the highest scores.

He said that once your committee score is determined, there is nothing you can do to appeal the decision. He said that if you are denied an interview, an appeal is possible, but not if you are denied admission.

He said the wait list follows the ranked scores as well. He mentioned that once you are ranked, it does no good to send updates on coursework/activities, or even letters of interest/intent, because this will not influence your numerical score.

He was VERY informative and thorough... I felt like I was on the freakin' committee by the time he finished... THEN the interview began...

What a charming man... I hope he talks the committee into scoring me high, because I'd love to continue my medical education at UCLA.

Best of luck to everyone who is waiting to hear from UCLA, and I hope this information was helpful...