First sem, is gpa to low?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gochi

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:eek: :eek: hey,

just finished first sem and my gpa is 2.3...i took psych math and bio...but i really slacked off!!! pretty mad about it

should i still pursue pharmacy ?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

it's not to late to change. You can still bump up your GPA in the future semesters. And stop worrying for such things in first sem.. you have long way to go.

just finished first sem and my gpa is 2.3...i took psych math and bio...but i really slacked off!!! pretty mad about it

thanks

Just don't slack off for the next three years and hopefully you will be fine. You have a long way to go and A LOT of time to make up for it. Also, not to say that GPA does not count (it has a lot of weight), but GPA is not everything. Depending on which schools you are interested in, there will be many factors that will be considered.

I only had a 3.4-ish GPA according to pharmcas and it all worked out.

good luck!:)

Members don't see this ad :)

thanks

yup.. what the others said are right, gpa isnt everything but it does matter a good chunk of the application. yet, its only ur first semes.. you got lots of time. i started my first semes with a 1.8 (C-s all the way) and then i retook everything and then some more to pull it up to about a 3.15ish or so and i got several interviews as well as acceptances. but remember numbers arent everything. you gotta show some community commitment. do some volunteering and other extracurric. activites and def. do not slack off. it will be your down fall in the long run

gpa is an important factor in getting past "the numbers game" when adcoms are sifting through thousands of applications to find people they want to interview. if you have a low gpa, then you are at a huge disadvantage...unless you have an outstanding pcat score or maybe a good letter of recommendation that will make you stand out.

if you are capable of earning good grades then do it. it will make it so much easier for you when you are ready to apply.

alright guys, thank-you for your comments

However, I dont have a "long way to go," after summer '07 I will be finished my pre-requistes for pharmacy!! So I only have 6 months left to up my gpa from 2.3 to 3 > and even if i do retake some of the courses in which i did poorly in, the school that I'm applying to will take the average, not the highest mark.

Also, I havent take english yet; that will be a really hard course which might drop me considerably!! :eek: :eek:

I'm going through the same thing....it really sucks

if you have a 2.3 last semester, and from what you are telling me, you only have a spring semester left with summer. I'm not sure how much your GPA will go up.

Are you in a 0-6 program?

If you aren't, I recommend that you go for a BS or a BA. Doesn't matter which, just try to get one. Considering more than 80% of applicants have a BS or a BA, having a low GPA with only pre-reqs will put you at a disadvantage.

thanks

Like you said...it's just your first semester of pre-pharm...there are still ~ 50 more credit hours to go...Glad that you are mad about your grade but there are other factors to determine a good candidates:clap: