Low gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lena2019

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to all, i am applying for pharmacy school this cycle 2021. My gpa according to pharmcas is 2.4 and science gpa is 2.1
Just graduated with bachelor of science with biology major. Have some pharmacy experience here is US and volunteer in pharmacy in Egypt. applied to lipscomb university, Belmont university, Marshall university, Chicago university, and regis university. I just want to know by any change if i will be accepted?
Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello to all, i am applying for pharmacy school this cycle 2021. My gpa according to pharmcas is 2.4 and science gpa is 2.1
Just graduated with bachelor of science with biology major. Have some pharmacy experience here is US and volunteer in pharmacy in Egypt. applied to lipscomb university, Belmont university, Marshall university, Chicago university, and regis university. I just want to know by any change if i will be accepted?
Thanks in advance.
don't worry, acceptance rate is over 80% these days so you should be fine. Schools are knocking on your front door trying to get your tuition money

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No. Your GPA is competitive for newer pharmacy schools. In fact, they might even entice you with some scholarships.

However, you won't be able to find a job when you graduate 4 years from now to pay off your $200k debt. At best you'll be competing for a retail position that pays $35/hr capped @ 30 hours while 20 year-old RNs out of community college are making $45 base with OT/overnight differential making $70/hr and $0 debt
I just got an interview with Regis University and it says I have to take HSRT exam, do you know anything about this exam?

don't worry, acceptance rate is over 80% these days so you should be fine. Schools are knocking on your front door trying to get your tuition money
I just got an interview with Regis University and it says I have to take HSRT exam, do you know anything about this exam?

No. Your GPA is competitive for newer pharmacy schools. In fact, they might even entice you with some scholarships.

However, you won't be able to find a job when you graduate 4 years from now to pay off your $200k debt. At best you'll be competing for a retail position that pays $35/hr capped @ 30 hours while 20 year-old RNs out of community college are making $45 base with OT/overnight differential making $70/hr and $0 debt
do you know the name of the new pharmacy schools?

There are plenty of schools that will gladly take $200,000 from you. Do you know how long it will take to pay that back?

Reactions: 4 users
There are plenty of schools that will gladly take $200,000 from you. Do you know how long it will take to pay that back?
I was talking to some pharmacists regarding that and people whom graduated from private school seems to be suffering immensely. I am so glad I went to public school otherwise I would be out on the street myself. No joke.

Reactions: 1 users
I was talking to some pharmacists regarding that and people whom graduated from private school seems to be suffering immensely. I am so glad I went to public school otherwise I would be out on the street myself. No joke.

I paid off my loans within 2-3 years but most of my classmates are still paying theirs 7 years later. They bought new cars instead and some can't afford a down payment on a home. They don't even max their 401k or Roth IRAs.

I paid off my loans within 2-3 years but most of my classmates are still paying theirs 7 years later. They bought new cars instead and some can't afford a down payment on a home. They don't even max their 401k or Roth IRAs.

I did the same but I sometimes wonder if this was the right decision with all the payment deferrals and talks of loan forgiveness.

I did the same but I sometimes wonder if this was the right decision with all the payment deferrals and talks of loan forgiveness.

I mean by the time that stuff gets approved, if ever, we would have paid off our loans anyway.

Hate to say it but this has been my strategy since the get go. It has really turned out in my favor.

All that money that I could have spent on student loans I have been investing with very good outcomes. I have not paid 1 cent on my loans in almost 1.5 years at this point. All of that money has been invested.

call me a bum but last time i checked just about every entity that I interact with in this economy is trying to take advantage of me and will do whatever the can to keep the upper hand and avoid handing over money for just about anything.

This is the game of life - remember that board game we grew up with?

Reactions: 2 users
I would say with a 2.1 gpa you are right what the pharmacy schools are looking to target at the moment. Someone who hopefully won't think critically about the magnitude debt they're taking on and sign on the dotted line without asking too many questions about whether it makes any financial sense at all to become a pharmacist right now, considering it is a shrinking, rapidly fading field of work.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Just remember it is far, FAR harder to graduate pharmacy school and pass the NAPLEX and get licensed as a pharmacist, than it is to get into pharmacy school. Unless you give off serial killer vibes in your interview (and maybe not even then), you will get accepted somewhere. Schools are literally taking anyone to fill their seats, they don't care what your GPA or PCAT is. However, getting accepted doesn't mean you will graduate, nor do it mean you will be educated enough to pass the NAPLEX once you graduate. There are lots of horror stories on this board about that. Rather than worrying about getting accepted (you must certainly will), you should worry if you would actually be able to graduate from pharmacy school or pass the naplex (with your low scores, I would say that is unlikely.)

Should i worry because of my low gpa and science gpa?
you shouldn't worry about getting in, you should worry about being able to matriculate and pass the boards, then you probably won't get a job.

Thanks in advance.
Don't worry, you'll get in for sure to any of these schools. You won't find a job as a pharmacist when you graduate, but you can just leave the country for Egypt forever and not worry about paying back $250k in loans. Have a great journey!