Finance for dummies! (stocks included!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
With all the knowledge on this board, I'm calling out to our finance experts and stock gurus on here to create an FAQ on finance/accounting/investing/stocks for those who might be clueless when it comes to these issues.

Please post books, websites and links of where you might have come across some information, your "advice" on what to look for in stocks and basic finance information that you would like to share! Links are appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I have experience in this area, so I will try to submit things from time to time. My specialties are insurance and financial planning.

Question: How much life insurance do I need?

Answer: There are many opinions on this ranging from arbitrary equations of multiples of income to none. The best answer is much more logical.

The first thing you must consider is what you are insuring against. If someone will pay funeral costs, etc for you, then you must start with that amount. Add to it the lost income from time out from work for the survivors. Add to that a reasonable amount to cover uninsured medical bills in case of a prolonged illness leading up to death. Finally there is income replacement. According to government studies, if a wage earner dies then the family can expect to need 70% of that person's income to maintain the same lifestyle without that person. First, you multiply that person's current income by .7, then you would want to determine how much you could conservatively estimate to receive from a diversified investment of a large amount of money. Historically, the stock market returns, on average, 10%. If you are comfortable with this assumption, then you would need to determine what lump sum you would need to produce the 70% of lost income as that 10% investment return. To do this, you divide the 70% of income by the percent you expect to get from an investment. In simple math, if you are replacing $100,000, then you need $70,000 annually. This would require a life insurance disbursement of $700,000 for income replacement alone.

Question: Should I buy term or whole life?

Answer: Contrary to current fads of buying term insurance, you should really analyze your personal situation and find what fits best. Life insurance is never an "investment" (unless we are talking variable life). Some facts hold true no matter what. Life insurance gets more expensive as you get older. Life insurance gets more expensive and difficult to obtain if you develop medical problems. Term life premiums increase at specific intervals in your life, usually every ten years. This is called ten year level term. You can buy different intervals including one year level term depending on the company. Term life is temporary life insurance. It is the amount that you buy that you won't need for the rest of you life. Whole life is permanent life insurance. It is the amount you will need even if you live to 100. The premium for whole life never changes assuming that the death benefit never changes. Term life is cheaper in the short term, but much more expensive in the long term. Whole life is more expensive in the short term, but much cheaper in the long term. Many times the best thing to do is buy a combination of both.

-Justin aka jkhamlin
Former Missouri all lines insurance agent and former Series 6 and 63 (variable contracts) NASD registered financial planner.

Members don't see this ad :)
Question: Should I buy term or whole life?

Answer: Contrary to current fads of buying term insurance, you should really analyze your personal situation and find what fits best. Life insurance is never an "investment" (unless we are talking variable life). Some facts hold true no matter what. Life insurance gets more expensive as you get older. Life insurance gets more expensive and difficult to obtain if you develop medical problems. Term life premiums increase at specific intervals in your life, usually every ten years. This is called ten year level term. You can buy different intervals including one year level term depending on the company. Term life is temporary life insurance. It is the amount that you buy that you won't need for the rest of you life. Whole life is permanent life insurance. It is the amount you will need even if you live to 100. The premium for whole life never changes assuming that the death benefit never changes. Term life is cheaper in the short term, but much more expensive in the long term. Whole life is more expensive in the short term, but much cheaper in the long term. Many times the best thing to do is buy a combination of both.

-Justin aka jkhamlin
Former Missouri all lines insurance agent and former Series 6 and 63 (variable contracts) NASD registered financial planner.

What about universal life and variable universal life. Give us everything, we are knowledge hungry.

I recommend everyone read, or at least have as a reference, this book
The Truth about Money by Ric Edelman.
I don't know what edition its up to now, but get the latest one. I know I have it on my desk and constantly use it as a reference.

Credit Education

1. MyFICO Credit Education. All about the FICO score and an idea of how it's calculated and what goes into it.
2. "Your Credit Scores". A 6 page PDF pamphlet from MyFICO.
3. "Understanding Your FICO Score". A 20 page PDF pamphlet from MyFICO.
4. CreditBoards forums. Huge, active community and tons of FAQs. There is much to learn on this site, and there are no commercial interests involved. Credit, mortgages, student loans, bankruptcies, business credit, etc.

Credit Reporting

1. AnnualCreditReport.com, the only official site to obtain one free credit report each year from all three major credit reporting agencies. Allowed under the 2003 FACT Act. Print these reports out and file them.
2. MyFICO.com, the only official site to obtain all three of your FICO scores. Either get the FICO Standard for just one score, or FICO Deluxe for all three. This costs money, but there's always discount codes floating around. Current discount code is "mw01" for 20% off.
3. OptOutPreScreen.com, the only official site to opt out of marketing mailing lists from the big three credit reporting agencies plus another smaller one. You can opt out for five years or permanently. Cuts down on junk mail. Reduces chances of identity theft with someone stealing your mail.
4. Experian, one of the big three credit reporting agencies.
5. Equifax, one of the big three credit reporting agencies.
6. TransUnion, one of the big three credit reporting agencies.

Reactions: 1 user
Can anyone recommend a good program for tracking, besides regular personal finances, specifically student loans? I would like to be able to see a breakdown of all my student loans, status, payments due, interest paid, estimated interest accrued, etc. This way I can decide which loans I should pay when, and what payment plans are best suited for me, as well as how much interest I should pay while in school, etc, etc.

I would recommend " Motley Fool Money Guide, " by Selena Maranjian. You can buy it for two bucks used on Amazon. Its a great beginner's guide personal finance and investing in a question and answer format.

Members don't see this ad :)
What classes in undegraduate would you take to prepare yourself financially?

Like accounting classes or business classes?

Also, why would an MBA be necessary for learning the ins and outs of finance? If it is after a masters in business administration, gah finance is such an arbritrary field, it seems like there is no logical approach to it!

This is another good option. Student doctors might be able to subscribe. If not, the articles are available on their website: http://www.pmdlive.com/

A sample article is below:

How HENRYs Can Insure Sound Investing

(from the September 2006 edition of PMD)

Shirley M. Mueller, MD

Many young doctors are considered a HENRY (High Earner, Not Rich Yet). HENRY—or HENRYETTA—is also under age 50, earns over $100,000 per year, and has a secure job.
Though HENRY has longevity ahead of him, he doesn't have much time to think about his future. He is too busy working, raising a family, and accumulating dollars. As a result, most HENRYs want a simple, no-fuss approach to preserving and growing their nest eggs.
The Simple Investment
The easiest way for HENRY to participate in the stock market is to buy an index fund. The Vanguard 5000 Index Fund, for example, includes large and small plus value and growth stocks. The lure of this approach is that expenses are small and the return will ideally mirror the entire market. Because stocks have traditionally outpaced bonds over long time periods, HENRY's accumulated money can be expected to keep up with inflation. Pro: This approach is simple, and the cost is low. Con: There is no chance to beat the market. Without investing in bonds and international stocks, asset allocation is not achieved.
Another concept is to use what Charles Schwab coined as "Core and Explore." Your core would be a majority of holdings placed in index funds, and you would explore by also carefully selecting managed funds to improve the overall return. You outperform the market by increasing total returns with the gains on the chosen mutual funds.
The managed mutual funds that gleaned higher returns over their comparable index vehicles were scientifically studied over 15 years.
A large cap blend (ie, growth and value) index fund did better than the managed equivalent 78% of the time. Thus, an index fund is suggested for the large cap component in Core and Explore. This is traditionally a hefty part of the portfolio—around 40% to 60%. Similarly, small and mid cap value index funds outperformed managed funds with the same purpose 71% of the time. They usually comprise a smaller part of the portfolio, 10% to 20% of it, and can also be economically purchased.
Only the managed small and mid cap growth plus international funds earned their higher expenses compared to index funds. A small cap growth manager outperformed its equivalent index 100% of the time, a mid cap growth fund, 60% of the time, and an international fund, 80% of the time. This means picking a managed fund in these areas could increase total results.
By combining index with selected managed funds, the total results can historically outperform the Vanguard 5000 index. Pro: You have a chance to beat the market, and stock asset allocation is achieved. Con: Though this has worked historically, past history is no guarantee of future success. Because bonds are not included, asset allocation is incomplete.
Seeking Out an Advisor
An advisor can also help you invest. However, sometimes money managers are only able to help your investments outperform the market for a short period of time—sustaining that success is almost impossible. Some managers acknowledge this and sell their services to clients by suggesting that they can save them money in other ways, such as by doing a financial plan, helping with estate planning, insurance issues, etc. Whether or not these extra services are worth the money management fee is something only you can decide. Older people with substantial assets receive more benefit from the comprehensive package than younger doctors just starting out. On the other hand, the financial planning can be accomplished for a fixed fee and the suggestions can be acted upon individually at any age. This saves money, but it requires effort. Pro: A professional portfolio and wealth management plan is obtained. Con: The cost is high and the long-term gain on the portfolio may not be above market.

Okay. I think I am about to get into stocks. At this point I know virtually nothing.

I am going to start my self-education now.

I've maxed the Roth, all the credit cards paid off, working on the loans (much longer project), got a few mutual funds, have the high interest internet savings account, and yet more savings lolly-gagging around...

Was never really interested in stocks in the past, was happy with mutual funds, but can't think of anything else to do with my $$$. I am single and have a fairly high tolerance for risk....

Anyhow, I'll start reading now.... thanks for the resourse(s)...

Can anyone recommend a good program for tracking, besides regular personal finances, specifically student loans? I would like to be able to see a breakdown of all my student loans, status, payments due, interest paid, estimated interest accrued, etc. This way I can decide which loans I should pay when, and what payment plans are best suited for me, as well as how much interest I should pay while in school, etc, etc.

https://www.nslds.ed.gov
Government site that keeps track of all your edu loans.

Jim Cramer, the founder of thestreet.com and a highly successful fund manager has written various books that are a fabulous insight into stock picking and managing your portfolio for the beginner and intermediate.

To name a few, Mad Money, Stay mad for life, Real money.

They are really helpful books and he also has a tv series on cnbc

I had absolutely no clue about managing my finances, both before and after I graduated pharmacy school.

So, now I write a blog about my "quest to conquer the markets" in order to encourage others to do the same, and because I also enjoy it.

Stop by and say hi. I don't provide specific individual advice, but I can always point you the the right direction so you can better help yourself.

http://GuzzotheContrarian.com

I would consider one of the Motley Fool's books over cramer.

Definitely try and educated yourself on the basics. Use a money manager, but be cognizant of the fees he and his broker will assess. Also, you can go to the FINRA (formerly the NASD) website to see if there are any discrepancies with the Broker or the AGent. If i gave you my real name...you can see where I attended college, all my employers and if I had any financial or legal issues.

Also there is a difference in Trading and Investing.

I will add more later...

FYI -

I am a career changer...but have worked as a Trader, Trading Assitant and currently Trade my own account while working in an Actuarial Area of a Broker in NY.

2ez

Series 7, 24, 63, 55.

There is no quick way to make money.. Depends on what your investing, stocks, bonds, real estate... You need a game plan before you start on how much you want to invest and how much your return should be then start from there...

Stock market is full of surprises during recession time. Wayback in 2008 nobody could have ever imagined in his/her wildest dream that companies like GM would be filing for bankruptcy in 2009.

Stocks are the true reflection of the progress of any company and these days it is getting difficult to perceive which stock is going to be a HIT or MISS.

I would try www.mint.com. It is a free service. Great!

Stock market is full of surprises during recession time. Wayback in 2008 nobody could have ever imagined in his/her wildest dream that companies like GM would be filing for bankruptcy in 2009.

Stocks are the true reflection of the progress of any company and these days it is getting difficult to perceive which stock is going to be a HIT or MISS.

That is so so true! The only secure investments these days (relative to the stock market of course) is investing in commercial land or properties. You consult real estate brokers, bankruptcy lawyers or foreclosure departments (in the U.S of course - don't know of such departments existing in Canadian banks since the 1980s) at your bank to find out the best deals.

The ideal scenario is to buy a property less than it is selling for, lease it for a while (maybe a few years) and then resell the property (don't liquidate) and reinvest your earnings on a bigger piece of real estate and repeat...

I have an uncle who is a surgeon in NYC. He didn't make his dough through his profession but mostly from his real estate investments in many areas of the US (eg. Long Island, Hawaii) and Mexico. I intend on doing the same thing and am looking into acquiring some real estate at the moment. I am already paying down one mortgage and I am going to buy a condo, lease it and reinvest and repeat...not going to rely on anyone to make me rich but my very own self.

That is so so true! The only secure investments these days (relative to the stock market of course) is investing in commercial land or properties. You consult real estate brokers, bankruptcy lawyers or foreclosure departments (in the U.S of course - don't know of such departments existing in Canadian banks since the 1980s) at your bank to find out the best deals.

The ideal scenario is to buy a property less than it is selling for, lease it for a while (maybe a few years) and then resell the property (don't liquidate) and reinvest your earnings on a bigger piece of real estate and repeat...

I have an uncle who is a surgeon in NYC. He didn't make his dough through his profession but mostly from his real estate investments in many areas of the US (eg. Long Island, Hawaii) and Mexico. I intend on doing the same thing and am looking into acquiring some real estate at the moment. I am already paying down one mortgage and I am going to buy a condo, lease it and reinvest and repeat...not going to rely on anyone to make me rich but my very own self.

Well, I don't think stock market is full of surprises. If you know how to interpret financial statements of companies then read the 10 years of balance sheet and income statement from SEC directly for the company you are researching. Either it will be potential for further research or immediate rejection or too hard a pile.

If you like what you see in numbers( price to earning ratios or book value etcs is mostly useless numbers, just count the cash) then you can dig deeper about the company and its competitors to see if its good prospect.

Then you will have to estimate the range of valuation for the company and if stock market does stupid things( as you said its full of surprises) then you take advantage of it.

I meant if stock market offers you $1000 envelope at $500 bucks then you buy it and sell it back to some one when it's price reaches near $1000. Only thing is that you need to smart enough to know that its $1000 envelope. If you can't then don't play this game because you will loose in long term even if you get lucky few times.

$1000 evelope can trade below $500 even though you bought it at $500. If if trades below $500 then you can buy more or simply wait but no need to panic as long as you are comfortable that it has roughly $1000. Its same as you not panicking because some strangers knocks on your door each mornign and gives you quote for you house to buy at $2 dollar. You should not start thinking that your house is worth $2 only.

yes, you can make money by buying property but formula is same you buy less than its true worth.

If you have time to kill you can read my blog,

[ deleting the public link due to compliance issue with SEC/Finra guidlines. I no longer maintain/post on that blog. ]

My two cents....

Last edited:
Jim Cramer, the founder of thestreet.com and a highly successful fund manager has written various books that are a fabulous insight into stock picking and managing your portfolio for the beginner and intermediate.

To name a few, Mad Money, Stay mad for life, Real money.

They are really helpful books and he also has a tv series on cnbc

I've been following Jim Cramer's Action Alerts Plus! for about a year now, and he seems to have a pattern of loading up on long positions when the market crashes, with the expectation that they will go back up on the recovery. He's been right with some of his picks and I'm still waiting on a bunch of other ones to recover. His comments are good but all of his stock picks don't want to cooperate.

I've been following Jim Cramer's Action Alerts Plus! for about a year now, and he seems to have a pattern of loading up on long positions when the market crashes, with the expectation that they will go back up on the recovery. He's been right with some of his picks and I'm still waiting on a bunch of other ones to recover. His comments are good but all of his stock picks don't want to cooperate.

Great information. I have read up on some commercial real estate theory, and it seems that it is the way to go. Anyone have any insight?

There is no quick way to make money.. Depends on what your investing, stocks, bonds, real estate... You need a game plan before you start on how much you want to invest and how much your return should be then start from there...

Incorrect. There are a number of ways to make fast money. Futures and Forex provide a means to quickly gain/lose dinero. It takes years to master, but you can still make money from the get-go. Best advice, even if anyone does options/stocks/forex/futures is to start a demo account. Think or swim offers a sick platform to practice with.

www.bankrate.com Great site, just be careful where you click as there are a LOT of ads, but rating info is current and good, on banks, mortgages. etc.

Yes: www.mint.com here you can access free quicken, it will dump your bank account info in directly from banks and credit cards, then dump directly into free version or upgraded version of Turbotax. Great site. Intuit's financial products are very powerful and well recognized.

Free book on what to do about investing when you don't have any money to invest: www.pinc.me, click on "I need an advisor" button, and download "Making Ends Meet" for free when you click on "family goals" hot link. Also there is a budget, free there, on hot link "developing goals". Will get you thinking about the little things that annoy you financially.

If you want to learn how to think about investment and stocks then I will throw few pointers....

http://www.chainstreet.com/?page_id=718 ( books list)
http://www.berkshirehathaway.com/letters/letters.html ( Must read for any one who wants to understand how to view the investment)

Follwing is the 5 parts of verry intersting speech given by buffet. There are many but this one I liked the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfuXKpMFUjc ( Buffet addresing MBA class) - Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1LiA...eature=related ( Buffet addresing MBA class) - Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7m7i...eature=related ( Buffet addresing MBA class) - Part 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caFD7...eature=related ( Buffet addresing MBA class) - Part 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYx-C...eature=related ( Buffet addresing MBA class) - Part 5

http://www4.gsb.columbia.edu/null?&e...ad&file_id=522 ( It's very nicely written article by Buffet where he refutes with logic that market can be efficient all the time) { Personaly I think that market is efficient most of the time but not all the time}

http://www4.gsb.columbia.edu/valuein...ass_recordings ( You will find class lectures given by some very good investors . Columbia business school is one of the few where they teach how to evaluate and think about the business, other places used to teach market is efficient till few years ago. God bless them for that, it's a big advantage to have when your opponents are taught that there is no advantage to use your brain)

http://vinvesting.com/docs/munger/hu...judgement.html ( It's the transcript of Charlie Munger speech at Harward. I read it 6 years ago and but didn't understand everything in true sense at that time. If you can read it 3-4 times and aquire few things from here in your general life then you will have huge advantage over regular Joe)

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/06/01/090601fa_fact_gawande ( Article does fantastic job of explaining why the cost of healthcare is so high in USA. Charlie, who I consider the smartest person I have come across so far, sent 20K check to author without knowing anything about the person after reading this article. I remember seeing some place that Obama tapped the author to work with health care bill but I was dissapointed to see the final bill. Anyway, it's a fantastic read.

I will stop putting anymore links here, else it might take my whole day. Some of the links will take your lots of time but it's worth spending the time with them with clear head. Enjoy, and have fun!!!!!

Best investors know their circle of competence and quick to recognize when they do not know something. Problem with Cramer is, he seems to have opinion on everything. I do not have time to look again for exact example but he can suggest something to sell at 20 and then buy at 25 only after few days, which is pretty stupid suggestions for any established company because their valution does not change 25% in such a quick time.

Even Buffet puts some companies in too hard a pile but if you ask cramer he will have buy or sell opinion on everything. Point I am trying to make is that his role in TV show is not of an investor rather an entertainer. When you need a laugh then it's good to watch his show but it gets boring after a while.

Last edited:
With all the knowledge on this board, I'm calling out to our finance experts and stock gurus on here to create an FAQ on finance/accounting/investing/stocks for those who might be clueless when it comes to these issues.

Please post books, websites and links of where you might have come across some information, your "advice" on what to look for in stocks and basic finance information that you would like to share! Links are appreciated!

Since broad based stock index exchange traded funds (ETFs) have been created it has become easy for any private investor to invest in ETFs like S&P 500 ETF (NYSE: SPY) or Nasdaq ETF (NYSE: QQQ) through any self-directed discount internet broker account and participate in general market uptrends. As the stock market doesn't just increase, but is affected strongly by intermediate market pullbacks and bear markets (markt crashs), successfull ETF investing requires to know how to hedge ans ETF portfolio. Best-smart-investing is a tutorial that offers the know-how of 4 ETF hegding strategies. Hedging ETFs against losses is the secret to maximise ETF returns.

According to the famous Modern Portfolio Theory all investments have to be diversified. ETF investing should therefore remain just one investment building block. The other building blocks should be bank cash reserves, bond investments and real estate.

Today also bond investing has been simplifyed so that the private investor can manage it without help: There are long-term and short-term bond ETFs like (NYSE: TLH resp. NYSE:BIL). The management rule is simple: Hold long-term bond ETFs as long as interest rates decline and change to short-term bond ETFs if interest rates start to rise.

ETFs are far better investment tools than Mutual Funds, diversified stock portfolios or direct bond investments, because they are very liquid (daily exchange traded) and have extremly low transaction costs in discount broker accounts. Mutual Funds can't be hedged and it is very expensive to trade Mutual funds, bonds or diversified stock portfolios, not for ETFs.

Last edited:
Patients die. The market crashes. One always comes back, the other never does.

Keeping cash reserves is important so you are ready for opportunities when they arise. Market declines are opportunities for the wise if you are a contrarian. Go against the flow, be patient, realize that you cannot buy at the low and sell at the high and never be greedy. Diversification is important as is asset allocation.

Today also bond investing has been simplifyed so that the private investor can manage it without help: There are long-term and short-term bond ETFs like (NYSE: TLH resp. NYSE:BIL). The management rule is simple: Hold long-term bond ETFs as long as interest rates decline and change to short-term bond ETFs if interest rates start to rise.

ETFs are far better investment tools than Mutual Funds, diversified stock portfolios or direct bond investments, because they are very liquid (daily exchange traded) and have extremly low transaction costs in discount broker accounts. Mutual Funds can't be hedged and it is very expensive to trade Mutual funds, bonds or diversified stock portfolios, not for ETFs.

This is a good post to use in pointing out that investing is far different from trading. It's something that you should consider when making decisions (having the appropriate mindset is important). Trading is more short-term and tries to exploit noise in the market or mispricing of assets for various reasons. Investing is more based in the intrinsic value of an asset compared with it's price in the market-- it's(almost always) a longer horizon than trading.

ETFs (and mutual funds) are good for investing, but trading them (ETFs) somewhat defeats the purpose of (generally) lower fees (compared with mutual funds) that would otherwise eat away at an investment's ability to compound over the years. Trading isn't usually free, so those low fees can add up pretty quickly and eat away at returns made on short term trades (making the ETF worthless). The (or one) point of the funds is, more or less, to give you access to a basket of securities you wouldn't have had the ability to invest in otherwise. Hedging mutual funds is somewhat irrelevant in the context of investing (longer horizons) because it becomes awfully expensive to constantly roll over the hedging instruments (which you can hedge mutual funds, you just have to know what you're doing and it involves work, but again, the point of a fund is to reduce risk compared with investing in one or two securities, so hedging that investment isn't really something people talk about in comparison to hedging trades).

My friend recently turned me on to two apps, which you people might enjoy.

RobinHood - a mobile only stock trading app, without any fees. I use this just to learn about investing and all told have about a hundred dollars in there. For now its fun, but I can see no reason why a person can't put any more money in.
https://robinhood.com/

Acorns - another investment app. This one links with your bank account, and rounds up on every purchase to the nearest dollar. It then combines these round ups, and then invests them. You can choose the kind of portfolio you want to invest in. Its very passive, and after a while you can have some serious cash in there.
https://www.acorns.com/

Obviously medical school is my priority, but these are just fun to play around with, and learn about the stock market.

Reactions: 1 users
My friend recently turned me on to two apps, which you people might enjoy.

RobinHood - a mobile only stock trading app, without any fees. I use this just to learn about investing and all told have about a hundred dollars in there. For now its fun, but I can see no reason why a person can't put any more money in.
https://robinhood.com/

Acorns - another investment app. This one links with your bank account, and rounds up on every purchase to the nearest dollar. It then combines these round ups, and then invests them. You can choose the kind of portfolio you want to invest in. Its very passive, and after a while you can have some serious cash in there.
https://www.acorns.com/

Obviously medical school is my priority, but these are just fun to play around with, and learn about the stock market.

The Acorn website looks great, thanks for that!

Keep in mind that everything is traded now a days, even dollars but wealth remains relatively constant. Wealth will flow from one area to the next, sometimes based on just a few peoples decisions...

Make sure you never put all your eggs in one basket, including cash. What is cash? Dollars? Euros? BitCoin? And what are those? Essentially what other people say they are, which can change based on market fluctuations.

Stock market is a very risky place to trade or invest in due to its volatile nature. This is a very good book with the compilation of the analysis and the real market condition. I highly recommend this to anyone trying to enter the stock market.

want to keep it simple... read the white coat investor book. Great for someone trying to get the ball rolling.

My personal favorite finance books:

The Millionaire Next Door
Richest Man in Babylon
Psychology of Money

My least favorite finance book:

Rich Dad/Poor Dad - hate the author and how much politics and mindset garbage he puts into his books.