Your list for individual stocks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bravotwozero

Chronically ambitious
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Doing this just as a thought exercise. If one were to use the motley fool approach of creating a portfolio with individual stock picking of 25 companies, what would you guys pick? Don’t have to go all the way to #25.

I personally just park my money in an index fund, and don’t recommend this approach, but thought it’d be fun to discuss.

My no brainers:

Amazon
AirBnb
Wal mart
Home Depot
Lowe’s
Microsoft
Starbucks
Costco
Apple
Alphabet
Coca cola
Pepsi
Chipotle
McDonalds
Taiwan semi conductor
Toyota
Crowdstrike
Nvidia

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Apple
Amazon
Tesla
Meta

Reactions: 1 user
Caterpillar
--A worldwide company and has paid a dividend every quarter since Biden was a little boy.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
$TSLA

Costco, chipotle, apple

Edit: lol toyota? already dethroned in CA by TSLA, they are about 5 years behind on electrification. wouldn't bet on them

$TSLA

Costco, chipotle, apple

Edit: lol toyota? already dethroned in CA by TSLA, they are about 5 years behind on electrification. wouldn't bet on them
Them corrollas still sell like hotcakes around the world though. And their reputation for reliability stands to this day.

Good call on the chipotle. Definitely should have been on my list, don’t know how I missed that.

Tsla, nvidia, msft, goog, aapl. Costco,

Best of breed.

I own all those. 10 years from now, I'll be glad I owned some of them and bummed that I own others. I just don't know which ones. That's why I bought them all.

Reactions: 2 users
TQQQ bought it too high, bought it at 17. Just buy it and forget it. 10 years from now, you'll be very happy.

From 2010 to 2020 it went up 100 fold. Seriously.

Mostly do index funds but i have most of these as well

Chevron
Coca Cola
Johnson and Johnson
Medtronic
Abbvie
Altria
Proctor and Gamble
Costco
Home Depot
Smith and Wesson
L3Harris
Raytheon
Microsoft
Apple
AMD
Taiwan Semiconductor
Amazon
Google
O
Stag

TQQQ bought it too high, bought it at 17. Just buy it and forget it. 10 years from now, you'll be very happy.

From 2010 to 2020 it went up 100 fold. Seriously.
TQQQ is the way to go.

It got down to like what, 17.. I bought all the way down. Kill it again. I will load more..

Market crashes 20%? Awesome, loading VUG VIG VPU XLV XLF..and our fav TQQQ.
Market crashes 50%? ALL IN

Horizon: 10+ years

You need that money in the next 2 years? Cash is King.

Last crash I only went in... about 5% more. Stupid me. I thought we were gonna go down another 20% for an ALL IN moment but I have to say.. I like having lots of 4% earning CASH sitting around and not worrying or giving a **** in the big picture about what happens (but hey who we kidding, I still worry just not existential dread)

It got down to like what, 17.. I bought all the way down. Kill it again. I will load more..

Market crashes 20%? Awesome, loading VUG VIG VPU XLV XLF..and our fav TQQQ.
Market crashes 50%? ALL IN

Horizon: 10+ years

You need that money in the next 2 years? Cash is King.

Last crash I only went in... about 5% more. Stupid me. I thought we were gonna go down another 20% for an ALL IN moment but I have to say.. I like having lots of 4% earning CASH sitting around and not worrying or giving a **** in the big picture about what happens (but hey who we kidding, I still worry just not existential dread)
You know the way sir. Way too many docs who are too conservative and scared of TQQQ. But as a young physician, I feel that it's the way to go.

ELI LILLY (LLY)
Novo Nordisk (NVO)

I think both these companies are worth 500 billion each based on their GLP1s alone. Mounjaro works better than Ozempic but I'd buy both.

Members don't see this ad :)
You know the way sir. Way too many docs who are too conservative and scared of TQQQ. But as a young physician, I feel that it's the way to go.
Stomach of iron to handle going from $83 to $17 without flinching. Not sure why anyone would hold an investment long term whose stated investment objective is short term. If you really want to use leverage, I think I'd use leverage external to the fund.

Because if you're smart you buy closer to 17, not 83. Ie, you only buy when there is a major (30%) correction and you keep buying all the way down. Takes a champ to get hit and keep coming for more.

Super Bowl Lol GIF by Coca-Cola

ELI LILLY (LLY)
Novo Nordisk (NVO)

I think both these companies are worth 500 billion each based on their GLP1s alone. Mounjaro works better than Ozempic but I'd buy both.
Did anyone follow this?

I own all those. 10 years from now, I'll be glad I owned some of them and bummed that I own others. I just don't know which ones. That's why I bought them all.
I assume that you mean through a passive vehicle such as VTI.😉

$TSLA

Costco, chipotle, apple

Tesla is wildly overvalued, their P:E is 46.88, compared to Toyota at 9.68. Toyota is a global company, selling everywhere from Argentina to Zimbabwe. Their profits remain many times that of Tesla, and it seems likely that Tesla will have strong headwinds as other manufacturers enter the electric space and actually have something resembling build quality

• Haha
Tesla is wildly overvalued, their P:E is 46.88, compared to Toyota at 9.68. Toyota is a global company, selling everywhere from Argentina to Zimbabwe. Their profits remain many times that of Tesla, and it seems likely that Tesla will have strong headwinds as other manufacturers enter the electric space and actually have something resembling build quality
do you own Toyota or Tesla? (or short them?) if not, go kick some tires elsewhere.

do you own Toyota or Tesla? (or short them?) if not, go kick some tires elsewhere.
I generally only invest in individual stocks during recessions when they are on sale, then convert to ETFs when the market recovers, so right now I have zero individual stocks after selling all the oil companies I purchased during COVID and using them to invest in growth ETFs once the market stabilized. I am a boring investor like that, I like to buy reliable companies when they are at a discount. Toyota was at one about a year ago, but alas, at this time I would say I'm better off in a growth-focused ETF than Tesla or Toyota. Market performance of the two seems to back up my feelings on the matter- Tesla was once a great buy, but no longer. I'll let you guess which of these represents which company that starts with a T.
Screenshot_20240303_170527_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240303_170551_Samsung Internet.jpg

I generally only invest in individual stocks during recessions when they are on sale, then convert to ETFs when the market recovers, so right now I have zero individual stocks after selling all the oil companies I purchased during COVID and using them to invest in growth ETFs once the market stabilized. I am a boring investor like that, I like to buy reliable companies when they are at a discount. Toyota was at one about a year ago, but alas, at this time I would say I'm better off in a growth-focused ETF than Tesla or Toyota. Market performance of the two seems to back up my feelings on the matter- Tesla was once a great buy, but no longer. I'll let you guess which of these represents which company that starts with a T.
View attachment 383532
View attachment 383533
Lol.

TM and TSLA respectively