Alpha Omega Alpha on P/F system

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCSFnerd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How are recipients of the alpha omega alpha medical student honor society determined in a pass/fail grading system?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
our school uses class rank and step I scores. there's some top-secret algorithm that they use to determine whether or not you're invited to join AOA.

yeah, the administration usually will have a class rank on you, even though this info is not on your transcript and usually doesn't leave the med school.

p/f/h here and we have aoa. don't know how they figure it though.

I was asking this same question when figuring out where to go to school. Just ask the administration and do some digging. If I recall correctly, NYU for example has P/F/H but keeps a secret class rank that they factor into AOA. Einstein on the other hand is also P/F/H, but only years 3 and 4 count at all towards AOA, with the first two years not playing any role whatsoever. Of course I ended up at Maryland where we do have grades, so at least I already KNOW that I'm not making the cut :)

So the school will nominate you if you meet a certain benchmark, or do you still have to make your interest known?

I was asking this same question when figuring out where to go to school. Just ask the administration and do some digging. If I recall correctly, NYU for example has P/F/H but keeps a secret class rank that they factor into AOA. Einstein on the other hand is also P/F/H, but only years 3 and 4 count at all towards AOA, with the first two years not playing any role whatsoever. Of course I ended up at Maryland where we do have grades, so at least I already KNOW that I'm not making the cut :)

So the school will nominate you if you meet a certain benchmark, or do you still have to make your interest known?

I think interest is assumed.

Me ~ "Well, I'd rather not have the stigma of AOA on my residency app . . . could you guys please give it to someone else?"

Fair enough. :laugh:

I think interest is assumed.

Me ~ "Well, I'd rather not have the stigma of AOA on my residency app . . . could you guys please give it to someone else?"

it's done by 3&4th yr. grades @ my pure P/F non-ranked school; they look @ board scores if there's a tie or they're unsure.

My school is P/F and I guess they have us vote for who we think should be in it. I've heard its somewhat more of a popularity contest than class rank situation. The top nominations get their scores reviewed by the school and are also selected according to their 3rd and 4th year scores and I guess the number of nominations has some factor as well.

We're strict P/F first two years, and I believe AOA is based on 3rd year performance.

We're strict P/F first two years, and I believe AOA is based on 3rd year performance.

I had wondered about this. Fortunately, I got accepted to schools that have grades so I won't worry anymore.

Sailcrazy, is that a Jboat on your avatar? J boats are wicked. I race down here in FL in a J 24, once in a while, although, mostly sail for fun on the weekends on a McGregor 26.

Good eyes! It's a J/35. Picture taken at the Chicago NOODs a couple years back. Med school hasn't totally killed my sailing... I'm planning to catch a few decent regattas this summer. My family used to have an old Ranger 28 that we'd take out for fun, but it became old and a bit structurally suspect, so I stick to the J now!

And back on topic, I'm really glad not to worry about AOA now. I still feel like everyone is learning the material really well, but we're not stressing over who got the few very awkwardly-questions/exam correct and who didn't.

I can handle having 3rd year be pretty much all or nothing for AOA.

Is AOA really that special and important? Right now I'm inclined not to care, but I don't want to have any regrets 4th year. Maybe all the envious rejects can form their own honors organization, like DOA or something.

Good eyes! It's a J/35. Picture taken at the Chicago NOODs a couple years back. Med school hasn't totally killed my sailing... I'm planning to catch a few decent regattas this summer. My family used to have an old Ranger 28 that we'd take out for fun, but it became old and a bit structurally suspect, so I stick to the J now!

And back on topic, I'm really glad not to worry about AOA now. I still feel like everyone is learning the material really well, but we're not stressing over who got the few very awkwardly-questions/exam correct and who didn't.

I can handle having 3rd year be pretty much all or nothing for AOA.

What stigma?

AOA is the medical school version of the scarlet letter.

You walk around for the rest of your career with the shame of having AOA burned into your forehead with a scalding iron. (This depends on the school. My school is a bit more progressive and they just give you a patch that says AOA to hold onto. The old school institutions still perform branding)

If I were to liken AOA to a disease, I would say it's a lot like hemorrhagic syphilis of the face.

I'd avoid it if I were you :thumbup:

Not having grades is a physcological comfort blanklet for those that cant/choose not/whatever compete. You are still being ranked (in most cases anyway). Its just not as out in the open. Our school is pass/fail, but AoA is based on the numerical grades that you recieve in your classes. So guy/girl that passes with 99% in all his classes gets the prize, while guy/girl who passes with 71% doesn't. If you want to go derm/rads/competitive thing then you should still aspire to do your best.

Is AOA a certain percentage of the class? How does it work?