Save Feature for Writing in Jan MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ladoo007

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I was wondering if you were supposed to hit the 'save' button to save your essay or if it automatically saves at the end of your time? I was never informed about this and asked a proctor and he said he did not think you had to (that it should automatically save at the end) but he was not sure. I am afraid because time ran out in my first essay and I never had the chance to hit save and I think the only time I saved was at the very beginning after I had written one sentence. I am hoping that they would set it up so it automatically saves if time runs out or at least a way of retrieving it now if I tell AAMC I forgot to hit save, but I am not sure. Does anyone know about this?

Members don't see this ad.

hit the save button

they even advise you to every several min

I was wondering the same thing, because I sort of assumed that whatever was in the box at the end of the time would be submitted, so I didn't hit save before the time was up.

Anyone know for sure?

Going along with what GT2 said and what I remember from the tutorial at the beginning of the test, yes, they recommended that you save every few minutes (I suppose in case your computer crashed or something). I am also fairly certain that the tutorial said that once the time runs out an essay (or if you just click to end), it automatically saves whatever you have then.

Members don't see this ad :)
Going along with what GT2 said and what I remember from the tutorial at the beginning of the test, yes, they recommended that you save every few minutes (I suppose in case your computer crashed or something). I am also fairly certain that the tutorial said that once the time runs out an essay (or if you just click to end), it automatically saves whatever you have then.

+1

This is how I remember the tutorial as well.

I had the same question... here's the response direct from AAMC:

"Hello,

Thank You for contacting the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) program.

The program does an automatic save as well, so you do not need to worry about
hitting save.

Please let us know if you need any additional assistance.

The MCAT Care Team

Association of American Medical Colleges

Section for Applicant Assessment Services

2450 N St., NW

Washington, DC 20037

U.S.A."

WHEW! Thank all of you for your quick responses, and especially the person who contacted AAMC directly and received a response. I was definitely a little worried after that first essay when I did not hit save, but now I feel much better :)!

the save button is probably not needed. If your computer crashes while taking the mcat, you will have a lot more problems than making sure you had saved the first half of your essay.

And when you get back to that essay, if your comp crashes, there is no "load" button, so even if the program saved your original essay, it won't magically reappear for you. You will have to call AAMC and void or make special accomodations or something.

I think it is just there to make you feel like everything will be OK no matter what. The GRE doesn't have a save button for the essay, probably b/c it doesn't really help matters.