Dartmouth!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JourneyToMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have the URL for the Dartmouth applicant status page? I was under the impression that they didn't have one...:idea:

Members don't see this ad.

They don't have a status page. Only snail mail notification, not even e-mail.

I have a MDPhD interview scheduled there for later this month that I'm not sure I am going to yet. Whats the best way to get there?

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends. You can fly into Boston and take the Dartmouth coach(bus) straight into Hanover. That's what I did.

I flew into Manchester Airport, rented a car, slept at the Super 8 Motel (1-2 miles away from the airport), and drove to the school the next morning. Mapquest said it would take 1.5 hours, but it only took me 40 minutes when I left at 6 am.
You could fly into Lebanon airport, but there are only 2 gates there... and it's the smallest airport (if you want to call it that) I've ever seen. I would recommend flying into Manchester, sleeping early, and getting up to drive over. Taking a cab might be too much money (it's about 80 some miles). You can drop your rental car off Lebanon.

Hope that helps.

The one that drops you off at the hanover inn right?

if you're talking about the dartmouth coach, yeah, it drops u off right in front of the hanover inn.

For residency interviews, I booked a rental car online for cheap, flew to Manchester, picked up my car, drove to Boston for some interviewing, and then drove up to Lebanon/Hanover for my Dartmouth interview.

The Days Inn in Lebanon was clean and offered good breakfast, free parking, free wireless, and a cheap interview rate. Since I was there for the weekend, I stayed the next night at the Hanover Inn (a s***hole that manages to convince people it isn't by putting junk like bottled water in your bathroom and charging you $20/night to park).

I drove back to Manchester immediately after the interview. It took about an hour, though that's with a lot of speeding. You'd have to be superhuman to pull it off in 40 minutes.

Dartmouth coach is $35 one way or $55 round trip. It leaves every 2 hours from early in the morning until decently late at night. If you fly into Manchester, either rent a car or you can take a bus (Vermont Transit), but that bus doesn't do as many trips as the Dartmouth Coach. Many motels in the area will give you a discount if you tell them you're interviewing at the med school. I liked the Fireside Inn (it's right by the Lebanon airport and very nice). Also, you can request to stay with a student. If you got a MD/PhD interview, you should receive an e-mail (or letter) from one of the first year MD/PhDs named Pablo which offers to find a host for you. If you're a MD applicant, you should get a website with contact information for students willing to host. I would definitely stay with a student host since that'll give you more of a chance to talk to current students.

i agree with physics nerd.. definitely stay with a student host! i made the mistake of staying in a hotel and didn't have the best experience there

Sorry to be so dump but what is snail mail?

snail mail is the mail you check in your actual mailbox the US postman delivers snail mail to you, it has a 39 cent stamp on it (im not trying to be a dick or sarcastic im just trying to make it clear that its not email)

Members don't see this ad :)
That's ok, thanks.

Hi, I'm interviewing at Dartmouth in a couple weeks and last week I e-mailed a potential student host (from the list on the website) to offer me lodging. I haven't received an e-mail back from him and I'm not sure if I should a) re-send him an e-mail, b) wait longer for him to reply, or c) e-mail a new potential student host. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Right now I'm leaning towards choice c. Thanks.

Hi, I'm interviewing at Dartmouth in a couple weeks and last week I e-mailed a potential student host (from the list on the website) to offer me lodging. I haven't received an e-mail back from him and I'm not sure if I should a) re-send him an e-mail, b) wait longer for him to reply, or c) e-mail a new potential student host. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Right now I'm leaning towards choice c. Thanks.

Choice c. All of us first years have quizzes on Monday and the second years have finals next week so everyone's been pretty swamped (and so whoever you e-mailed probably read and just forget to get back to it). The person you e-mailed may have just forgotten because they got busy, but I would just e-mail someone else.

I am interviewing at Dartmouth this month. I have a couple of acceptances from good schools but Dartmouth is dream school for me for alot of reasons. I hope that I am not just interviewing for the waitlist at this point. Do folks who interview in February still have a shot at being admitted? Thanks for your insights.

I have a mdphd interview coming up, anyone who interviewed there stay with a host??

i interviewed in october but i haven't heard anything.
possible rejection...

i interviewed in october but i haven't heard anything.
possible rejection...

in4mant, I also interviewed in October and have yet to hear anything either. I really wish that I could know something allready, even if that means I learn that I have been rejected. (I really hope that is not the case though, cause I really liked Dartmouth a lot!)

Anyways, hang in there and good luck with the waiting game!! :luck:

I didn't interview there but the Holiday Inn at White River Junction is very close by and nice enough. I booked a suite for my family when my brother was going up to college there (He goes to Dartmouth obviously), and the only bad thing was that the hotel initially gave us some room that totally wasn't a suite, and we pointed out that we totally booked a suite. Wasn't a big deal since they fixed it in like 2 minutes, but you should double check what kinda room they gave you in case you booked something nicer.

It wasn't pimptastic or anything, but the beds were decent enough, and there was a desk and a little mini kitchen in the suite. And you can drive over to Lebanon if you need to eat or shop or something. It's like a 10 minute drive to Lebanon and like a 15 minute drive to Dartmouth's campus, so very convenient.

Not sure how you'd get there from the airport but you could always just drive there and stay there for the night if you don't want to be at some crazy dump, and this will definitely put you within very close reach of the school. You might want to practice driving to the school the night before though, the roads out there aren't the most well labeled, but it's fairly easy to figure out-although not something I'd want to do if I was trying to get there on time for an interview.

lol too bad I'll never get to use my own advice since I'm pretty sure I'm just waiting on a rejection =P

when i interviewed here, i had one troubling fact made aware to me, and maybe this is true of most schools, but they told me they have exams every other week, that seems to be a bit excessive to me, but maybe this is what all schools do, can someone clarify this?

when i interviewed here, i had one troubling fact made aware to me, and maybe this is true of most schools, but they told me they have exams every other week, that seems to be a bit excessive to me, but maybe this is what all schools do, can someone clarify this?

This is the way it works: In second year, you basically only have finals (there are 5 terms of varying length with 2 or 3 classes and at the end of each term you have a final that is almost your entire grade.) To prepare you for only having a test every 8 (or so) weeks in second year, they ease you into it during first year with quizzes. The way that quizzes work is that you walk into the lecture hall at 8 am on a Monday and they give you 4 quizzes (one for each class) and you have 2 hours to do them (but the first person is usually done after an hour). First year is 3 13-week terms. In the first term, you have quizzes every 2 weeks so that your grade is based on 6 quizzes (or in some classes your best 5 quizzes) and your final (which is only worth 35-45% of your grade). In second term, you have quizzes every 2-3 weeks for a total of 4 quizzes and a final. In third term you have quizzes every 3 weeks so that you have 3 quizzes and a final. Honestly, I'm glad they do it this way. You may be stressed out for a few days every 2 weeks, but it makes you study. It's Dartmouth's way of ramping you up from the (relatively little) amount of studying required in undergrad to the much larger amount of studying required in med school. It lets you know how well you're doing in a class early in a term so that you can focus more on a class you fail a quiz in and get help in that subject. Also, it takes a lot of the stress and pressure off of finals since they're not worth as much in first year. And it gets you ready to pace yourself in second year. So, all in all, I'm glad we have the system (although now that I'm used to studying the way the med school requires, I'm looking forward to the system used in second year).

do you guys know if dartmouth is done givin out interviews?

i just got waitlisted today (i interviewed in late november btw).

anybody has any suggestions what i should do at this point? i already sent them a letter of interest and an updated transcript.

thanks!

katie

anybody has any suggestions what i should do at this point? i already sent them a letter of interest and an updated transcript.

thanks!

katie

Sorry to hear about the waitlist. I am still waiting for any type of response (interviewed mid October). I too sent an updated transcript as well as a letter of interest.

I don't know what else you could do, except maybe call them and get a feel from their side what you can do to show your interest in their program. I definitly plan on doing that if I get waitlisted (likely at this point). I don't know how much it will actually help, but I think that it is worth a shot. :luck:

Well, my fears were validated upon checking the mailbox today. Waitlist for me as well :( . I really wanted an acceptance there, but I guess I will just have to continue to wait.

I truly hope that I will be able to hear something positive from them in May, but at least I know where I stand now and I don't have to be so anxious every day. :rolleyes:

Anyway, after getting the letter and seeing their instructions, I think I am just going to try and stay in contact with them by mail for the next few months and see what happens. I was hoping I could be accepted there to make my decision on a med school easy, but looks like it is going to be hard.
Best of luck to all who continue to wait... :luck:

Add me to that list as well. Bummer. Was rather disappointed, but c'est la vie, right? Frustrations abound. Time to start thinking about updating them.

thanks!

katie

You can keep updating them, but bear in mind that if you've been waitlisted you probably won't hear anything until at least mid May (as one of my friends in my class did). Heck, there's one guy in my class who got off the waitlist on the first day of orientation, so you might have a long wait ahead. But also remember that a good number of people at DMS right now were accepted off the waitlist, so there is hope. If they didn't think you were qualified to be at Dartmouth, you would have been rejected, not waitlisted. Also, the admissions office got many more applications this year than last (~10-15% from what I've heard) and there are fewer spots in next year's class because we're no longer doing the joint Brown-Dartmouth program after my class. So, the admissions office has been a little swamped and might take a while to get back to you.

Good luck to everyone who's been waitlisted or is still waiting to hear!

Has anyone interviewed a LONG time ago (sept, oct) and STILL not heard anything?? is there still chance for an acceptance after so many months?

Has anyone interviewed a LONG time ago (sept, oct) and STILL not heard anything?? is there still chance for an acceptance after so many months?

kbear, I think it is a good sign that you still have not heard. I interviewed in mid Oct. and was just notified a few days ago that I had been waitlisted. The longer you can go without hearing, the longer you are being considered for an acceptance. Thus, the higher your "score" is from the admins.:luck:

sounds like they are really taking their time about making decisions. i think they said they had about 15% more applicants this year than last year, so they are trying to be fair to the whole group.

kbear, I think it is a good sign that you still have not heard. I interviewed in mid Oct. and was just notified a few days ago that I had been waitlisted. The longer you can go without hearing, the longer you are being considered for an acceptance. Thus, the higher your "score" is from the admins.:luck:

Thanks! i sure hope so! i suppose a waitlist letter could also be making its way to the west coast, but I guess i'll just be grateful for the silence at this point.

looks like someone got an interview invite in the past few days - any idea out there for when they end invites? Im trying to narrow down the field and Dartmouth is still a big unknown.

thx.

looks like someone got an interview invite in the past few days - any idea out there for when they end invites? Im trying to narrow down the field and Dartmouth is still a big unknown.

thx.

The admissions office has now started to evaluate late applications so if you got your secondary in on time you should hear one way or another pretty soon (they send out all decisions via snail mail). It looks like interviews will be held until late March. Good luck!

i interviewed mid-october and got my acceptance about mid-november. i remember the director of admissions saying they responded to candidates in the order in which they were ranked, but starting from the very top and the very bottom giving acceptances and rejections (respectively). so if you haven't heard by now and you interviewed a while back, it's very likely that you're smack in the middle of the list. it may take a while because the dust needs to settle, probably around mid-march (stupid non-rollings) for people to decline their acceptances and dartmouth to work towards the middle of their list.

i wouldn't lose hope, i think it's a good sign.

The admissions office has now started to evaluate late applications so if you got your secondary in on time you should hear one way or another pretty soon (they send out all decisions via snail mail). It looks like interviews will be held until late March. Good luck!

I was definitely a late applicant. Had issues with a transcipt that held up my AMCAS primary app, and didnt make it to complete status at Dartmouth until almost mid-October. Almost the equivalent of taking the August MCAT, which I assiduously avoided, practically to no avail.

Um, anyone have any idea if Dartmouth is still interviewing, or when they will finally let people know they have no chance?

Um, anyone have any idea if Dartmouth is still interviewing, or when they will finally let people know they have no chance?

I had my interview this month and according to the Admissions Director, "no news is good news."

I had my interview this month and according to the Admissions Director, "no news is good news."

Ive heard that saying before. Im hoping in this case it is correct, for I certainly have no news. On a similar note, the no news I had from Tufts today became news. And the no news was certainly good in comparison.