OMFS MCG, SC and Denver

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DDS 08

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know a lot about any of these programs? I wasn't able to find a lot on them other than the small amount of info at their websites and the aaoms guide. Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck finding any info on denver. They never returned my phone calls or letters when I applied 6 years ago. And I hear that things haven't changed much. I remember seeing their name on the "did-not-match" list a few times but they amazingly weren't on it this year.

i visited denver during their 2 week blizzard...actually cancelled the trip the first time and dr. zallen was gracious enough to re-schedule with me the next week ...which was just before the 2nd blizzard...i thought overall it was a fairly good program...it'll get you ready to be an omfs..but deep down i wanted 6 year...the program is small with 4 residents (since they only take one), but that means you get good mentorship with dr. zallen...before visiting, i heard more bad than good...but the residents are happy where they are....

my final say...you will hear many good and bad things about any programs...pay them a visit or contact somebody there...do an externship there if you are really interested in them...you'll have a better picture and understanding about that program..good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Any info on georgia or south carolina?

Good luck finding any info on denver. They never returned my phone calls or letters when I applied 6 years ago. And I hear that things haven't changed much. I remember seeing their name on the "did-not-match" list a few times but they amazingly weren't on it this year.

During one of my externships I ran into a resident who had gone to dental school in Denver - His opinion was that the OMFS program there was a, "Glorified GPR." - Wizzies and mandibles for 4 years. But, if you are a skier, maybe a place you'd like to be. And you can still call yourself an oral surgeon and make your million dollars hoiking out thirds all day.

also read 2thdk's take on denver for some balance.

I interviewed at Denver health last week after much contemplation. Like everyone else on here, I couldn't find much info about the program beforehand. Dr. Zhallen wouldn't return my phone calls or e-mails, and I had heard mostly negative things about the program on SDN. There seems to alway be people on here asking about the program so i have decided to share my two cents:

Denver is beautiful and really affordable. The facilities at DenverHealth are brand new and really nice. Dr. Zhallen and the few attending that they have seemed great. The current residents were the coolest and nicest Ive met yet. The anasthesia training appeared top notch (5mo). However they do very little orthognathics or reconstructive stuff. My impression was that "trauma" basically consisted of mandibles and even those they do surprisingly few of. They do no cancer and way to few implants (last years chief placed 17) considering that its supposed to be a "country club/private practice geared program". The past SDN poster who described the program as being a glorified GPR where you do mostly exodontia w/sedation and mandibles was fairly accurate in my estimation. However, having said that, the program will definitely be on my rank list because...the city, facilities and current residents and attending were awesome, The program has a ton of potential, and I think the new attending Dr. Borris is going to get a lto more stuff going. Id say the program is definitely on the ups!

I hope this helps a few people ;)